"No Instrument" with Interactive Brokers

Questions about MultiCharts and user contributed studies.
duration

"No Instrument" with Interactive Brokers

Postby duration » 22 Oct 2010

Hello,

I am running MC 6.01 & IB TWS 909.8.

I am trying to plot ZG DEC10 (NYSE LIFFE): I add it from data source in the quote manager, then I create a new chart, select the symbol from the menu, and then it says "waiting for data" on the status line.

No data ever comes.

When I change the resolution, it just says "No Instrument".

It is the same thing for silver futures and everything coming from the NYSE. What is the problem?

templ

Re: "No Instrument" with Interactive Brokers

Postby templ » 25 Oct 2010

Hello,

I try to chart COCOA (C@LIFFE_NF), but get "No Instrument". Its the same with all Quote Fields e.g. BID, ASK or TRADE, or different resolution. And all contract months.

Code: Select all

Data request for CH2 LIFFE FUT GBP 10 1 Minute Ask [ 10/21/2010 18:16:00 - 10/25/2010 18:15:00 ] (Id= 1005264)
TWS error message: Id= 1005264; code= 200; description= No security definition has been found for the request
Connecting to real-time data for CK2 LIFFE FUT GBP 10
TWS error message: Id= 59; code= 200; description= No security definition has been found for the request
Data request for CH2 LIFFE FUT GBP 10 1 Minute Bid [ 10/21/2010 18:16:00 - 10/25/2010 18:15:00 ] (Id= 1005265)

geizer

Postby geizer » 26 Oct 2010

Hi,

First, I don't know if my answer applies to futures. I know however that it works for stocks.
My experience with Interactive Brokers symbols is as following:

The Interactive Brokers identifies the instrument not only by it's name but also by the "description" field. The reason is because some stocks trade simultaneously on more than one exchange, hence priced in different currencies.

For example:

A company called "Potash Corp. of Saskatchewan" trades in US and Canada. The symbol for this company is POT. Interactive Brokers designates the same symbol: "POT" for two instruments. How does it know which one is which? The answer is - the description field, which is different. And that what clearly differentiate these instruments. I know it's confusing but it's the fact. Knowing that IB checks the description field of all stock symbols to identify them, it's logical to assume that it also looks at description field of futures. Again I don't know if this holds true for futures...
If you find out please share your experience with the forum.
Thanks,
Pavel

templ

Postby templ » 26 Oct 2010

Hello Pavel,

i dont understand really what you mean. Do you mean that you cant find sometimes your stock with QM?

Its not the problem to find the symbol [COCOA (C@LIFFE_NF)] with QM, see my screenshot.

I do have Market Data Subscriptions for (Euronext.Liffe Commodities Derivatives Level 1).
Why get the Data message "No Instrument" in the MC Chart?
What could be the problem?
Thanks
Attachments
C-IB.jpg
(106.57 KiB) Downloaded 1661 times

Anastassia

Postby Anastassia » 02 Nov 2010

Hi Guys,
I try to chart COCOA (C@LIFFE_NF), but get "No Instrument".
Templ, when plotting charts from IB, it is important to set the exchange similar to the one in TWS for the same symbol. In your case, it should be LIFFE_NF, as can be seen from the screenshot you provided in the post. So go to Tools -> Exchanges&ECNs and either add LIFFE_NF or change existing LIFFE to LIFFE_NF (if you don't need LIFFE). Then, change the exchange for your symbol and see if that way you can receive data.
I am trying to plot ZG DEC10 (NYSE LIFFE): I add it from data source in the quote manager, then I create a new chart, select the symbol from the menu, and then it says "waiting for data" on the status line.

Duration, make sure the exchange for the ZG DEC10 symbol you added is NYSELIFFE. If it is not, please change it to NYSELIFFE. If that exchange is not on the list, go to Tools -> Exchanges&ECNs and add it.

Thank you

templ

Postby templ » 04 Nov 2010

So go to Tools -> Exchanges&ECNs and either add LIFFE_NF or change existing LIFFE to LIFFE_NF (if you don't need LIFFE). Then, change the exchange for your symbol and see if that way you can receive data.
This works, thank you Anastassia.

Anastassia

Postby Anastassia » 05 Nov 2010

You are welcome, Templ.

gadol

Postby gadol » 03 Dec 2010

NYSELIFFE exchange symbol can not be added because it is too long. When will this corrected?

Dave Masalov

Postby Dave Masalov » 06 Dec 2010

Dear gadol,

This has been corrected already. Probably, you have old database. Please send the FBPORTFOLIO.GDB file (it is located in "%allusersprofile%\TS Support\MultiChars" for Vista&W7 and "%allusersprofile%\Application Data\TS Support\MultiCharts" for XP) to dmasalov@multicharts.com so we can update it.

templ

Postby templ » 30 Mar 2011

Hello,

today I lost my internet connection while MC was loading my Charts.
Now I have a lot of symbols (Futures and Index) showing me "No Instrument" :(

E.g. the index VIX from CBOE or
INDU DOW JONES INDUSTRIAL AVERAGE (NYSE)

I did a restart of MC ,but still the same. What can I do?
Thanks

templ

Postby templ » 30 Mar 2011

The problem has to do with Chart Type resolution.
If I change e.g. from 1 Minutes to 1 Hour and back to 1 Minute most of the symbols do connect now.
But a few symbols dont in any resolution.

INDU DOW JONES INDUSTRIAL AVERAGE (NYSE) connects with 1 Minute, but dont connect (showing "No Instrument") with 1 Day resolution!

Why?
Thanks

templ

Postby templ » 31 Mar 2011

Hi TJ,

yesterday almost all symbols still (showing "No Instrument") I could fix too by changing the "Quote Field" in Chart Settings. In a lot of charts I use Ask or Bid...
If I remember right, there was only "INDU DOW JONES INDUSTRIAL AVERAGE (NYSE)" which did not work completely well.

Today every thing is working normal again!
Thanks

Return to “MultiCharts”