server busy problem

Questions about MultiCharts and user contributed studies.
jl12

server busy problem

Postby jl12 » 03 Nov 2010

When logging onto QM often at around 8am GMT I get the server busy message MC also hangs on the banner, is the problem at my end or at TS it will hang for maybe 20mins

smashthepound

Re: server busy problem

Postby smashthepound » 03 Nov 2010

It seems I have the same problem. I get the server busy message and can choose between retry, switch to and abort. I am using eSignal DataManager.

I did not have this problem while using MC5.5 and MC6beta1. The eSignal software has not been changed since upgrading.

Dave Masalov

Postby Dave Masalov » 03 Nov 2010

Dear Sirs,

Could you please tell me how many symbols do you have in your databases?

smashthepound

Dave:

187 symbols at the moment. eSignal limitation is @ 500 for my account.

regards

Tobias

Dave Masalov

Postby Dave Masalov » 03 Nov 2010

187 symbols at the moment. eSignal limitation is @ 500 for my account,
Thank you,

Could you tell us how often does it happen? Once a day?

smashthepound

Almost every time I launch QM. I usually do it in the following order:
1. start eSignal DataManager
2. start QM
3. ...

I usually start it Sunday night, but it occurs also during the week. Sometime I need to klick fifty times "retry", sometimes like today only once ...

Hardware and Operating systems are unchanged since using MC 5.5

Dave Masalov

Postby Dave Masalov » 04 Nov 2010

Dear smashthepound,

Please come to our Live Chat between 6:30AM and 11AM EST so we can connect to your computer remotely and investigate the issue.

smashthepound

Postby smashthepound » 10 Nov 2010

Dave:

In order to avoid the server busy problem you advised to reduce the number of symbols or to disconnect the symbols before shutdown of QM. QM would startup in disconnect mode and symbols shall be connected manually which will avoid the server busy problem.

To be honest I have forgotten a couple of times to disconnect the symbols before shutdown of QM and had the problem at startup again.

Could we have the optionality at the startup of QM prompting the question "start online/offline". I am asking for a similar dialog as built in GlobalServer of TS2ki (GlobalServer/Tools/Options/StartUp). I am sure you are familar with this.

regards

smashthepound

Dave Masalov

Postby Dave Masalov » 10 Nov 2010

Dear smashthepound,

When you start MultiCharts you can chose between online and offline mode (you can enable this option in File --> Preferences --> Data Server Mode --> Show Data Server Mode dialogue box on startup.) This option affects Quote Manager too. If you start MC before QM, QM will be opened in the mode that you have chosen when you have started MC. If you start QM first, it will be opened in the mode which was selected last time you have used MultiCharts. So, for example, if you select the offline option and then close MC and QM (or QM is already closed), when you restart QM it will be in the offline mode.

smashthepound

Postby smashthepound » 15 Nov 2010

Thank you Dave.

This is a valid workaround but still bears the risk that someone might forget to connect the symbols after QM did startup in "Connect RT Data w/o Plotting: Not supported" mode.

I would rather prefer the optionality at the startup of QM prompting the question "start online/offline" (please see previous posting).

OR

Enhance QM so more symbols will be supported (which you should do anyway if you want your MC Pro version to sell to "real professionals" - because these guys look at more than 100 symbols and e.g. Bloomberg only provides intraday data for a 180 days - therefore they need to collect the data in QM) ...

regards

Tobias

Dave Masalov

Postby Dave Masalov » 15 Nov 2010

Dear Tobias,

I have forwarded your suggestion to the developers. Could you please explain what do you mean by enhancing QM? I am not sure I got you right.

smashthepound

Postby smashthepound » 15 Nov 2010

Dave:

I have 187 symbols in QM which causes this problem.

This number of symbols might be high from your oint of view, but as I indicated a lot of professionals will even collect more ...

Please expect them to collect more because:
- most dataprovidors (including e.g. Bloomberg) only offer a limited history available for intraday / tick data
- they will use MC / QM to create continous future contracts and thus will have a lot of expired future contracts
- they will make use of portfolio trading which MC supports with its portfolio backtester. Therefore they will test a lot of markets / symbols.

By using the term enhancing I mean that the "server busy problem" should not occur even collecting 300 symbols.

regards

Tobias

PS: What about a functionality that auto expires futures contracts? This might be helpful reducting the number of symbols automatically. Of course we could also make use and do not connect them anymore ...

jl12

Postby jl12 » 15 Nov 2010

I have 572 symbols

Is the number of symbols more critical than size of the database mine is 8Gig

Dave Masalov

Postby Dave Masalov » 17 Nov 2010

Dear Tobias,

I have forwarded your suggestions to the developers. The engineers will further investigate the "server busy" issue.
I have 572 symbols

Is the number of symbols more critical than size of the database mine is 8Gig
Dear jl12,

You have a normal database. Nothing to worry about.

Return to “MultiCharts”