Problem with bar magnifier

Questions about MultiCharts and user contributed studies.
tradeprice

Problem with bar magnifier

Postby tradeprice » 07 Dec 2010

Hi,
I wanted to use the bar magnifier on daily charts with 240 minutes precision. In the normal backtesting mode without the bar magnifier all my trades get executed well and as they are supposed to.
But once I turn on this bar magnifier, my entries and exits get triggered all over the place but not where they are supposed to trigger.
Sometimes an entry is then generated where the exit would be and vice versa. Both the entries and exits are typically very far away from where they should trigger.
Maybe I am doing something wrong here, but I have no idea how I could solve that problem.

Hope somebody in this forum can help me.

Dave Masalov

Re: Problem with bar magnifier

Postby Dave Masalov » 08 Dec 2010

Dear tradeprice,

Please go to Quote Manager, right click on the symbols that you trade on and Clear Cache. This should help.

tradeprice

Postby tradeprice » 10 Dec 2010

Dear tradeprice,

Please go to Quote Manager, right click on the symbols that you trade on and Clear Cache. This should help.
Hi, thanks for the advice. However, unfortunately clearing the cache doesn't solve my problem.
I manually calculated several bars where the execution should be, and my buy and sell stops still don't trigger where they are supposed to trigger.
For example 1.3940 should be the buy trigger, but when I use the bar magnifier, it executes the buy trigger at 1.3970. A 30 pip difference. And this kind of discrepancy happens at almost every bar.
I used the data feed from fxcm and from mbtrading. This time daily chart with 1 minute precision. No matter what I do, I get the same wrong execution in the backtest when using the magnifier.
How is it possible that with the bar magnifier the whole calculation of the buys and sells gets screwed up?

tradeprice

Postby tradeprice » 11 Dec 2010

Another problem I have with the bar magnifier:

A backtest with a 24 hours chart / 1440 minute chart gives a VERY different result than using a daily chart. And again, this only happens with the bar magnifier. So I have no idea which backtest I should believe.

I hope somebody can shed some light on that issue.

Tresor

Postby Tresor » 11 Dec 2010

A backtest with a 24 hours chart / 1440 minute chart gives a VERY different result than using a daily chart. So I have no idea which backtest I should believe.
If you are backtesting on a tick based data I recommend using 86,400 sec bars.

tradeprice

Postby tradeprice » 12 Dec 2010

A backtest with a 24 hours chart / 1440 minute chart gives a VERY different result than using a daily chart. So I have no idea which backtest I should believe.
If you are backtesting on a tick based data I recommend using 86,400 sec bars.
thanks for your recommendation!

Return to “MultiCharts”