Recommended Data Feed for historical data

Questions about MultiCharts and user contributed studies.
t-rader

Recommended Data Feed for historical data

Postby t-rader » 19 Apr 2011

Hi,

I use Multicharts for forex trading and would like to obtain historical minute data. My existing data feed (mbtrading) offers 6 months of minute data but I would like more than that.
Without signing-up with TS at $199/month I would like to hear other viable options.

Barchart offer 2 years of minute data for $49/month (I think -just sent-off email for confirmation)

Regards
T

Stan Bokov

Re: Recommended Data Feed for historical data

Postby Stan Bokov » 19 Apr 2011

IQFeed is another choice, so is eSignal (but I think IQFeed is cheaper).

TJ

Postby TJ » 19 Apr 2011

loads of places to get data:
viewtopic.php?f=16&t=7298

tcat

Postby tcat » 19 Apr 2011

If you work with Dukascopy, the JForex historical tester has an interface that allows you to download historical data as a .cvs file. You can choose the time frame from tick data on, with Ask and Bid prices, and then import the data in quote manager.

It's very convenient and works fine if you limit the time period you are trying to download at once. Note that a year of tick data accounts for more than 800 MB of disk space. The only issue I had was when trying to import the "bid" price in quote manager, I was limited by the number of fields quote manager was willing to consider. I have opened a ticket in tssupport's "project management" tool for that issue, will see if it is considered.

The best point is that it is free for customers, although I can't remember if you can access it in trial mode. I have tried several alternatives but have not found anything better for my needs.

Thierry

t-rader

Postby t-rader » 20 Apr 2011

TJ,

Thanks for the links but I'm really looking for historical data from an actual broker because shouldn't I be trading my systems with the same broker/data I've backtested with?????? Everything I've read has suggested that this is best practice for automated systems trading .e.g I don't want to backtest with Barchart then trade using Mbtrading.

Regards
T

arnie

Postby arnie » 23 Apr 2011

TJ,

Thanks for the links but I'm really looking for historical data from an actual broker because shouldn't I be trading my systems with the same broker/data I've backtested with?????? Everything I've read has suggested that this is best practice for automated systems trading .e.g I don't want to backtest with Barchart then trade using Mbtrading.

Regards
T
Actually, that is debatable.

I think the opposite, I do not trust data that is reported by brokers.
Although when dealing with time bars charts data from brokers and from 3rd party datafeeds have little or no divergences, when dealing with volume and tick bar charts things starts to get pretty scary.
Brokers usually transmit volume and tick data in packages every couple of seconds. This will translate in a delay that is usually deadly to the trader.

If you trade based on minute charts it's OK to trust in your brokers data, if not, run from them as if your life depends on it, which it does, at least your financial one.

t-rader

Postby t-rader » 28 Apr 2011

Hi Stan,

I think I just found option 5. I have a trading account with fxcm and would like to autotrade through it (plus use the historical data), but I can't see fxcm listed as a data feed in quote manager. Apparently you guys have an addon I can install, is this true???

Regards
T

Stan Bokov

Postby Stan Bokov » 29 Apr 2011

We do supply a Forex data feed, originally the data is collected from FXCM. We developed this data feed for our MCFX platform, but it's possible to receive this data in MultiCharts if the customer wishes to.

It features 9 years of tick, minute and daily data on 30 key currency pairs, in bid and ask series. Complete description of this feed can be found on this page - https://www.multicharts.com/forex-data/

The feed costs $99/month. You can purchase it here if you wish:
MultiCharts (FOREX Data) monthly subscription
https://usd.swreg.org/cgi-bin/s.cgi?s=1 ... =1&v=0&d=0

In order to you use it you need to a) Purchase it and b) install it into your MultiCharts/MCDT. You can install it by downloading the appropriate attached archive, unpacking it and running Updater.exe after shutting off all MultiCharts applications.
Attachments
MCDT_Forex_feed-installer.zip
(738.04 KiB) Downloaded 143 times
MC_Forex_feed-installer.zip
(767.02 KiB) Downloaded 153 times

t-rader

Postby t-rader » 30 Apr 2011

Stan,

I might be confused here but please bare with me...
I have purchased 2 x Multicharts lifetime licenses solely for the purpose of developing automated forex trading strategies (forex only). As part of the process for creating my strategies I am needing to perform backtesting with historical data (using bar magnifier tick data or minute data depending....). I have a demo account with mbtrading and they give me 6 months worth of minute data for free.

I hope you're not saying that, regardless of the fact I have coughed-up the dollars for 2 Multicharts lifetime licenses, I will need to pay an additional $99 per month to receive the historical data.

Regards
T

Stan Bokov

Postby Stan Bokov » 02 May 2011

MultiCharts does not come with historical data. We provide a number of options for receiving data in MultiCharts - either a supported data feed, through ASCII Import, through ASCII Mapping, or through the DDE protocol.

You receive 6 month of minute data for free from MBTrading. You can also choose to purchase data elsewhere - data feeds are usually paid, unless they come from a broker where you have an account. What we offer is simply an optional data feed, which comes with a price. If you want to, you can choose to purchase it, or you can get the data from elsewhere (for example download it somewhere on the internet for free, and then import it).

t-rader

Postby t-rader » 03 May 2011

Stan,

As an FXCM customer I get the historical data from them for free. It states on your website that FXCM is a compatible broker. So why is there no option to select them in quote manager like all the other brokers who provide historical data?

Regards
T

Stan Bokov

Postby Stan Bokov » 03 May 2011

The connection to FXCM broker, like to TT for instance, is a FIX connection. FIX protocol supports sending only real-time messages.

We do not support FXCM itself as a possible data feed (i.e. data streaming from their servers, because external applications) because in the API originally used this service was not supported for third-party applications. If FXCM provides historical data to their own applications that doesn't mean it can be accessed from third-party applications.

You can subscribe to data that ORIGINALLY came from FXCM, but it's managed and stored by us. In this case we act as a data provider, we built the servers that receive real-time FXCM data and produce it on demand.

Return to “MultiCharts”