MultiCharts WIKI proposed

Questions about MultiCharts and user contributed studies.
Stan Bokov

MultiCharts WIKI proposed

Postby Stan Bokov » 26 Apr 2011

Hi all,

TJ made a very good suggestion - we should make a Wiki for MultiCharts, which can feature various articles by us and by you, and everyone (or registered forum users) can make changes, which will be reviewed by a moderator after posting. This can serve as a place to share knowledge that is better organized than the forum, and at the same time the biggest advantage is to have to grow through the inputs of users. I think it has the potential to be a great informational tool, because digging through forum threads and piecing the information together can be a challenge.

For instance, I foresee interesting articles on behaviour of IntraBarPersist, and articles on Automated Trading, etc, etc, etc. We could also have commentary boards, or even individual "blog" style channels for major contributors on the side of main informational articles.

My questions are these:
Do you feel this is a good idea? Should we bother researching and implementing it? Are there enough people willing to contribute? Does anyone have experience with Wiki style environments that can share valuable insight into how we should organize it so we get it right?

I look forward to your feedback.

geizer

Re: MultiCharts WIKI proposed

Postby geizer » 26 Apr 2011

Is Multicharts free of paid software?

Tresor

Postby Tresor » 26 Apr 2011

Is Multicharts free of paid software?
MCDT is free. MC is paid.

I think having Wiki is a good idea, especially for MCDT users who are new to the software and receive limited attention from MC personnel.

But I also think that IF creating Wiki would cause even a single day of lag in releasing a bug free MC then it's not worth it.

geizer

Postby geizer » 26 Apr 2011

Wiki is not a bad idea. however I will not be able to contribute at this point, as I don't have the resources, i.e. time.

janus

Postby janus » 27 Apr 2011

Given the lack of good and comprehensive MC-specific documentation (eg, there's too many undocumented features, the details are spread across various places such as web links, documents and threads on this site, and the high frequency of updates makes it very difficult for most users to keep track of them) the wiki idea is an excellent idea. Be warned though. It will require a lot of effort and time to maintain it. I know from personal experience. There's no such thing as a free lunch.

Stan Bokov

Postby Stan Bokov » 28 Apr 2011

Indeed, we know there is no such thing as free lunch, we work hard to make the software what it is today. I was thinking that the Wiki and the Help could help complement each other, and make both grow (like the PM did for bug reports and feature requests).

tekram

Postby tekram » 28 Apr 2011

If you look at the TS wiki you could see how it is done. It is divided into two branches, one for the Easylanguage and the other for the platform, there is a third but seldom used 'sandbox' wiki for new users to test the wiki.

Reading through the TS wiki, you would see that most of the threads are contributed by one person, mmillar, who is also a TS developer.

The idea of a wiki is not to have it as a complete substitute for good documentation, but rather for users to contribute to the knowledge base in a manner that is more organized than that of a forum, as well as in areas not promptly covered in a regular documentation.

It is not easy, but the platform vendor should at least establish an infrastructure to which users can contribute good documentation.

Stan Bokov

Postby Stan Bokov » 28 Apr 2011

If you look at the TS wiki you could see how it is done. It is divided into two branches, one for the Easylanguage and the other for the platform, there is a third but seldom used 'sandbox' wiki for new users to test the wiki.

Reading through the TS wiki, you would see that most of the threads are contributed by one person, mmillar, who is also a TS developer.
Thanks, will take a look at it.
The idea of a wiki is not to have it as a complete substitute for good documentation, but rather for users to contribute to the knowledge base in a manner that is more organized than that of a forum, as well as in areas not promptly covered in a regular documentation.

It is not easy, but the platform vendor should at least establish an infrastructure to which users can contribute good documentation.
My thoughts exactly. That's what we are planning to do with the Wiki.

janus

Postby janus » 28 Apr 2011

I agree too. Also, I hope I wasn't implying it was to be a replacement of good documentation. if that was the implication then it's because I didn't explain myself properly. Please re-read my original post where I highlighted examples of what I mean.

Stan Bokov

Postby Stan Bokov » 29 Apr 2011

We want to use it a complement, not a substitute.

DRCM

Postby DRCM » 29 Apr 2011

We want to use it a complement, not a substitute.
+1

Chris_THOMAS

Postby Chris_THOMAS » 01 May 2011

Hello All,

I think, it's a very nice project !

Thank you

Chris

LRP

Postby LRP » 02 May 2011

Great!
+1

LRP

mcs

Postby mcs » 03 May 2011

Great idea!

Laurentius

Postby Laurentius » 05 May 2011

Yes, Wiki is a good idea.

templ

Postby templ » 13 May 2011

... a Wiki for MultiCharts, ... is better organized than the forum,...
Yes! Picking/organise information in Forum isn't nice.

Stan Bokov

Postby Stan Bokov » 17 May 2011

Thank you all for your input, I see that the idea enjoys some support. However, we will only truly be able to tell how useful/popular it is once it's been running for a while. We are now in the process of making a wiki for MultiCharts. It should be available within a month.

Stan Bokov

Postby Stan Bokov » 02 Aug 2011

Thanks to Josh for bringing this up again here viewtopic.php?f=1&t=8994#p42559

Indeed we are working on releasing this, but it was put on the back burner for the release.

Emmanuel

Postby Emmanuel » 02 Aug 2011

+1 Vote !!!

This is a great idea !!

Stan Bokov

Postby Stan Bokov » 27 Jan 2012

Should be up soon, we'll announce when it's ready. Filling it with content now (i.e. Help, etc).

Stan Bokov

Postby Stan Bokov » 14 Feb 2012

To combat spam, only authorized users can make changes to the Wiki. If you want to be a contributor, please send a request with your Wiki login, and we will authorize the userID to make changes.

If you want to be an editor in the Wiki, send me a PM.

In about a week, it will be open to the public.

Nick

Postby Nick » 16 Feb 2012

Great Idea providing TSS put all there documentation effort into that repository. Whilst it will take a bit of effort to set up it will eventually pay dividends.

Just having something like this where developers and support can enter information instantly has got to be a step in the right direction hasn't it?

+1

Nick

Stan do you plan to make the wiki the central resource for all documentation eventually? Cant help that by moving help files, forum posts and various scattered documentation to one central place the true power will be unleashed (to put it in marketing speak :))

Edit just saw the We want to use it a complement, not a substitute. I think that is really a mistake. It means you have to maintain information in numerous places and it means that we have to look in numerous places to find information

Obviously it wont happen overnight but moving towards a single source for information is win win for everyone.

Stan Bokov

Postby Stan Bokov » 16 Feb 2012

Nick,

All current help files have been moved to the Wiki, and new articles have been added to reflect latest changes (up to MC8 Beta1). So, no more help in CHM format in MultiCharts is planned, insofar as describing features. Wiki will be the central place for the platform description.

PowerLanguage keywords will be maintained synchronously in Wiki and CHM inside MultiCharts. So the information will be the same there.

Forum will remain to ask specific questions and technical issues. Bits of information that can be useful to everyone will be transferred to the Wiki in the shape of new articles or additions to existing articles.

Project Management will remain for bugs and feature requests.

So, it will be the central place for information if you want to find anything out about the platform (features, FAQ, etc). If you don't find it there, you can ask on the forum.

Nick

Sounds good Stan. Could power language help eventually link from the editor to the wiki. Just a thought.

This is a great move anyway.

Henry MultiСharts

Postby Henry MultiСharts » 17 Feb 2012

Hello Nick,

All information from the Power Language help will be available in the Wiki.
But they will be maintained separately.

Return to “MultiCharts”