Detect Mouse Click event and Bar information?

Questions about MultiCharts and user contributed studies.
vking

Detect Mouse Click event and Bar information?

Postby vking » 28 May 2011

Hello - Is there any way to program to detect mouse click event and to store bar information about that bar?

For example - when a Fibonacci extention is drawn - it automatically detects the bars where mouse is clicked on. Is there any way to "detect" these bars and make use of the bar information in custom code.

Appreciate any input on this.

Thanks.

vking

Re: Detect Mouse Click event and Bar information?

Postby vking » 30 May 2011

I found this link and it looks like arjfca could do it in the past.

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=8548

I am trying to do something similar and to act quickly in fast moving market - Would like to get the bar information quickly with a "mouse click" on the bar of interest.

Appreciate any help in this regard.

Thanks.

arjfca

Postby arjfca » 31 May 2011

Hello Vking

It is possible, but not easy. I have done it when I was using Saxo Trader broker application and Excel

Left click over a bar captured the info and store the data in the clipboard. Go back to Excel, Left click over a cell that as an overlap macro over it put the appropriate value. All info like Open, High, Low, Close, Picture of the chart and others needed to my Excel sheet was captured using the mouse only.

What i used.
To capture text:
Hypersnap.com. The software can capture text in a window page. Won't work on some application like Chrome. With Multicharts, data window need to be floating over the chart. The text capture function was driven by command line. Once capture, all the text present in the window will be passed to the clipboard. You could then use it somewhere else.

To control the mouse and clipboard:
AutoHotKey.com The software allow you to program event to occur after a click on the mouse. I was using it to sent command line to HyperSnap Text capture function. Once the text capture and in the clipboard, i was cleaning the clipboard to remove any unwanted data before returning it to Excel.

To decode data:
Excel. A click over an appropriate macro send a command to decode the data in the clipboard. Wanted data like Market name, time, High, Low, Open, Close are in sequence in the clipboard.
The Excel macro was looking for the wanted info using textsearch and start to capture after a define # of characters. Lots of macros where created in VBA

Seem's complicated.... it was a lot for me as I'm not a programmer. But, it was working pretty well. Now, I'm with a new broker and using Multicharts. My developed application need to be adapted to the new environment. In time, it will be done, but for now, I need to concentrate on making money from the market, not software application.

If I'm not clear (a bit early here) or need any specific question, I will be glad to answer or help you.

Martin.
P.S. Excuse my English, I'm more fluent in French :)

Stan Bokov

Postby Stan Bokov » 31 May 2011

Thank you for sharing Martin! Very interesting.

vking

Postby vking » 31 May 2011

Thanks arjfca. Appreciate the details.

My intention is to pass the information to an indicator/strategy itself in MC - and probably might be easier for MC to detect this information.

One tool I can think of - FIB extention tool - you basically click on the Fib tool and it would wait for an event "moue click" and then followed by other mouse clicks and interprets them and draws the fib extention. I was wondering if MC Development team can provide this information ( first mouse click) and give programmable access about that bar information.

If I remember correctly bowlesj3 draws an arrow to detect and process the bar information.

MC team - Would you please see if "bar information can be accessed" when there is a mouse click with a key combination - for example ALT + mouse click on the bar - would store the variables with bar information.

PS: In NT - This event can be captured using - "System.Windows.Forms.MouseEventArgs". Wondering something similar is available in MC.

Thanks.

arjfca

Postby arjfca » 31 May 2011

That would be a great add-on for MC

Also having the possibility to create macro that are accessible from a click of the mouse could do the job.

Martin

johnromeronc

Postby johnromeronc » 31 May 2011

Another possible solution would be to have teh ability to create custom tools. Other programs do this, like NeoTicker and Wave59. NeoTicker also lets you have multiple "template" setting for drawing tools.

vking

Postby vking » 31 May 2011

I requested MC team about creating "template" setting for drawing tool as well through Chat session sometime back and I believe it's listed under Project site.
Another possible solution would be to have teh ability to create custom tools. Other programs do this, like NeoTicker and Wave59. NeoTicker also lets you have multiple "template" setting for drawing tools.

Dave Masalov

Postby Dave Masalov » 01 Jun 2011

MC team - Would you please see if "bar information can be accessed" when there is a mouse click with a key combination - for example ALT + mouse click on the bar - would store the variables with bar information.
Dear vking,

Bar information cannot currently be accessed through a mouse click. You would need to make a feature request in our PM.

vking

Postby vking » 01 Jun 2011

Created the feature request for this:

https://www.multicharts.com/pm/viewissu ... _no=MC-394

fingers crossed!!

Nick

Postby Nick » 02 Jun 2011

I've always thought that would be a great feature. Sometimes you want to start a study on a particular bar. It might need a little UI work to accomplish. I guess you would need a ClickInput reserved word and then some sort of prompt when you apply the study on a chart to select a bar(s).

Get's my vote :)

Edit: Not sure if you can vote for your own feature request but you might want to try...every vote counts!

vking

Postby vking » 02 Jun 2011

Thanks Nick!! I have voted as well :)

arjfca

Postby arjfca » 02 Jun 2011

Voted to

Would be a great utility, but to be effective we will need a way to communicate with the software like button to accept the value or interrogation from the software to the user.

Button: Like Excel is linked to a part of the software that control a portion
Interrogation: System is waiting for an answer from the user.

Clicking on a bar an get the value, will need a sort of validation. Without it, how could we cancel an erroneous click?

Just my 2 cents thought

Martin

vking

Postby vking » 03 Jun 2011

Thanks Martin.

if the feedback is given back with the variable (MouseClickBarNum) - one can be able to calculate any other information like ( volume,price,time anything that one would be able to calculate using regular barnumber). There are plenty of ways this can be used as needed. To avoid any false controls - there has to be a hotkey based mouse click ( Alt+MouseClick ) or any other key+mouseclick combination.

Hopefully MC considers this as an useful feature and can provide this functionality soon :)

bowlesj3

Postby bowlesj3 » 18 Jun 2011

Hello - Is there any way to program to detect mouse click event and to store bar information about that bar?

For example - when a Fibonacci extention is drawn - it automatically detects the bars where mouse is clicked on. Is there any way to "detect" these bars and make use of the bar information in custom code.

Appreciate any input on this.
I actually had a similar wish the very first month I got MC almost 4 years ago. It was to press the ~ key to capture all the information in the box that appears when you put the cursor(cross hair) over the bar. My request was to put this info into some sort of standard GVs. It was later that I found out MC could determine where an arrow was located and I could use the binary search to get the offset and grab whatever info I wanted with that offset. I also lost interest in the original idea when I realized having the arrow out there (actually sets of them created by a study) allowed me to look back and move them to new locations or just to know where I was getting the info from (even to double check that I had dropped the arrow correctly). You can do the same with a vertical line of course (and have it force itself vertical if you mess it up). Arrows have misalignment now but they are going to fix that very soon. I requested they have an option to leave the cross hair on while moving an arrow so you can move it exactly to the correct bar perfectly on your first try. With lines you can work around this buy moving the line over the bar then kind of sliding it up or down. If you are using an external program you could have an arrow located and ship all your standard info out and do different things with it by clicking a different button or whatever then have the arrow put somewhere out of the way for future use by program control. Lots can be done.

Return to “MultiCharts”