Custom Futures Limitation ?

Questions about MultiCharts and user contributed studies.
pmat

Custom Futures Limitation ?

Postby pmat » 18 Jun 2011

Hello,

I've been triyng to plot DAX and YM custom Futures charts. I has no problem up to resolution 1 day, but I have this error message when I try to plot a weekly chart :

"Custom Futures do not support resolutions higher than 1 day"

Such a limitation would be a non-sens for a great trading plateform as MC.

Can someone confirm me that this limitation does exist or help me to solve this pb ?

Many thnaks in advance,

Pascal

Stan Bokov

Re: Custom Futures Limitation ?

Postby Stan Bokov » 20 Jun 2011

Dear pmat,

It's an architectural limitation - Custom Futures cannot be plotted in a resolution higher than one day. We may address it in the future, but it is very extensive - it would require us to basically make Custom Futures from scratch.

pmat

Postby pmat » 20 Jun 2011

Hello Stan,

thanks for the answer, even if it is not a good news...

pmat

Postby pmat » 22 Jun 2011

Hello again,

I followed the step by step procedure given in this forum in order to create the DAX Custom Futures, but I've got 3 problems :

1 - if I create a new symbol in the dictionnary under esignal (as it is specified in the procedure), I cannot chose it when I create the custom future (as my data provider is IB) ;

2 - on a daily chart, some days are duplicated (see attache picture) ;

3 - each time I load a chart with the custom future, I got messages asjing to add 2008 contracts (which I don't need and don't have !)

Many thanks in advance for your help.
Attachments
2011-06-22_141852.png
(4.67 KiB) Downloaded 411 times

Stan Bokov

Postby Stan Bokov » 23 Jun 2011

Hello again,

I followed the step by step procedure given in this forum in order to create the DAX Custom Futures, but I've got 3 problems :

1 - if I create a new symbol in the dictionnary under esignal (as it is specified in the procedure), I cannot chose it when I create the custom future (as my data provider is IB) ;
This procedure is outdated - we will add a video with the proper procedure soon. We already added a dictionary for Interactive Brokers specifically.
2 - on a daily chart, some days are duplicated (see attache picture) ;
Make sure that when using daily bars you use only the DEFAULT session (i.e. don't go into your chart settings and choose a different session). Daily bars don't have determined start and end dates, except as specified by you. So, if you first ask for a daily bar from 2 am until 2 am, and then another one from 5 pm until 5 pm, you will have two daily bars for the same date - but one will be 2 until 2 and another will be 5 until 5. So, set the sessions as you wish in the QuoteManager, and keep the chart session settings at default to avoid double bars.

If you currently have double bars, delete the data, and reload it. This will leave only one daily bar version in your database.

3 - each time I load a chart with the custom future, I got messages asjing to add 2008 contracts (which I don't need and don't have !)

Don't worry about this message, it has been addressed.

pmat

Postby pmat » 23 Jun 2011

Hello Stan,

many thanks for this answer.

I will try as you sayed.

Take care.

pmat

Postby pmat » 27 Jun 2011

Hello,

I managed to get proper Continuous Future for the DAX symbol.

I took note of the current limitation (no chart for resolution greater than daily).

So my question to my fellow traders out there : how do you manage to do some chart analysis on a weekly or monthly resolution ?

1 - you don't
2 - you do it with another tool / source of information (stockcharts...)
3 - you have a dataprovider which gives you a ready-to-use continuous contract that is seen by MC as a simple symbol.
4 - ...

I thank you all in advance for your answers.

Good trading day to all !

pmat

Postby pmat » 30 Jun 2011

Let's give it another chance !

Many thanks in advance for your answers

Return to “MultiCharts”