Correct Startup sequence

Questions about MultiCharts and user contributed studies.
NW27

Correct Startup sequence

Postby NW27 » 23 Jun 2011

Hi All,

I have a licensed ver of MC Ver7 latest Beta etc and I'm using IB for data and trading.

What is the correct sequence/method for starting up a new session after reboot?

Sequence 1
1. TWS (IB) - and wait for it to fully run up.
2. Quote Manager and properly connect to IB
3. MC and then connect the to IB via Broker Profiles

Or I see that Quote Manager has a "Launch Trader workstation at start" option?
So...
Sequence 2
1. Quote Manager and this then starts TWS. However does not pass in a User or password.
2. Login into TWS (IB) - wait for it to fully run up.
3. Ensure Quote manager is talking to TWS
4. MC and then connect the to IB via Broker Profiles
The issue with this, is that if MC was run up last using Offline data, then the "CollectRT Data" in Quote Manager stays OFF, even though when MC is run up and collect live data is selected.
This then means that I have to go through each symbol and manually connect again. Pain.

Sequence 3
1. MC - No "Launch Trader workstation at start" option
2. Quote Manager - with or without Launch TWS?
3. TWS (IB) - wait for it to fully run up.
4. Ensure Quote manager is talking to TWS
5. MC and then connect the to IB via Broker Profiles

Neil.

Stan Bokov

Re: Correct Startup sequence

Postby Stan Bokov » 23 Jun 2011

Dear NW27,

As long as you have TWS connected with MC for the first time, you don't need to do any of those sequences really. First, I would leave all options in the QM as default (i.e. Launch TWS At Start as ticked). Simply start MC, and then create a chart of the IB symbol you want to see. TWS should launch automatically. After it completes launching, you should see your data. Then connect the broker. Or you can launch TWS yourself if you like.

If you are using IB, you don't need the Collect RT Data without Plotting option in the QuoteManager. In MC data is requested only when you make a chart. For providers with historical backfill, it will simply be requested when you make the chart. That option in the QM is for providers that DON'T have historical backfill, so you always need to grab RT data to avoid holes.

NW27

Postby NW27 » 23 Jun 2011

Hi Stan,

I set the "Launch Trader workstation at start" option on the Quote Manager, then rebooted.
Started MC and it fired up, started to display the charts from last session (3 monitors)
It fired up TWS and I logged in.
The charts stayed white. No history was displayed and it was saying that it was waiting for history (or similar). After 5min I restarted MC. (TWS was left running)
Now the charts are display and the chart trader is connect to IB account. It is now 9:45AM

The market opens at 9:50AM. Nothing happens, no chart updates (25 tick & 5min charts are used.)
I restart MC, still nothing coming in.
Now 10:05AM .

I set "Launch Trader workstation at start" option to unticked, stop TWS and go back to my original Sequence 1 as per above and all works correctly.

Neil.

sptrader

Postby sptrader » 23 Jun 2011

I've always loaded TWS first, once fully running, I start MC. I've never have a problem doing it that way. Once TWS and MC are running, I open the quote manager..
(Launch Trader workstation at start, "unchecked"..)
I never knew the correct startup procedure, so I just did it that way for years now, without problems.

Return to “MultiCharts”