Should we vote for our own feature requests?

Questions about MultiCharts and user contributed studies.
bowlesj3

Should we vote for our own feature requests?

Postby bowlesj3 » 02 Jul 2011

I am curious, "Should we vote for our own feature requests?"

By rights I suppose the program should not allow the creator of the request to vote for their own submission yet the list should retrain it as a potential idea and automatically adjust the vote counts up by a value of 1. This would give the proper vote ranking. This would also take care of the possibility that the creator may forget to vote for their own feature request (probably this is the norm). Either this or create their vote automatically and do not bump the total votes. If the feature request vanishes from the list of stuff for TSS to work on in the event that the creator of the request forgot to vote that would not be good.

Tresor

Re: Should we vote for our own feature requests?

Postby Tresor » 02 Jul 2011

I am curious, "Should we vote for our own feature requests?"
Why not??? I am very surprised to see some feature request with ZERO votes. The people who submitted these FRs must have low regard for their own work.

RobotMan

Postby RobotMan » 02 Jul 2011

Hi guys,
I am very surprised to see some feature request with ZERO votes.
I know it seems odd to get zero votes, but consider this;
The PM forum is like a whole new website and requires a whole new log-in. I think most users of this forum either don't know that the PM exists or it's just too convoluted to find and peruse.
I just went there and found that I had to create a new log-in different than the one I log-in here with.
the "How to use" area is helpful although it does not tell you that you have to scroll all the way to the bottom and that there is no section called "feature requests" Instead, it is very insightfully called "backlog"... and they are not listed in any particular obvious order, nor can you re-order them by clicking on a column heading.
So, unless a person is really serious and dedicated to the cause, why bother?
But hey, at least someone at TSS (probably a programmer) put the page up and maintains it. So that's nice.

Tresor

Postby Tresor » 02 Jul 2011

So, unless a person is really serious and dedicated to the cause, why bother?
I think at least a trader who submits a feature request should take the effort to vote for his feature. That's why I am surprised to see FRs with zero votes.

bowlesj3

I just went there and found that I had to create a new log-in different than the one I log-in here with.
Of course the project management system does need an ID for each user or it would not work. Actually my log-in is exactly the same. Do you mean that you had to use a different one or that you have to duplicate your log-in. I am not sure why but it should be possible to just hit a button to use the same user id and maybe even the same password for the project management. Of course guests are likely to be excluded.
I think at least a trader who submits a feature request should take the effort to vote for his feature. That's why I am surprised to see FRs with zero votes.
It should be automatically assumed by the program that they are voting or they would not have put the feature in. It should write out a record when it does this to link the user name to the vote file. Once done TSS can get totals and see who voted for what and what a particular person voted for too. They could tell who is voting for items they did not create and use that to decide to put more effort into getting people to vote.

John.

RobotMan

Postby RobotMan » 02 Jul 2011

Do you mean that you had to use a different one or that you have to duplicate your log-in.
I had to register as a new user. I used my same username, but they sent an email that gave me new password. I use a password manager, so no biggie. But I thought it strange that the cookie set in the MC forum wouldn't work in the PM forum.

bowlesj3

I think I went in after the fact, come to think of it, and changed my password to my standard password for stuff I don't worry about getting hacked. Same password for the forum.

bowlesj3

Postby bowlesj3 » 03 Jul 2011

Okay, so I tried voting for the arrow cross hair centering and it allowed me to vote. Again, It really should do that automatically and prevent me from voting a second time (I did not try a second time).

Stan Bokov

Postby Stan Bokov » 04 Jul 2011

So, what's the consensus on this? What exactly should we be doing?

bowlesj3

Postby bowlesj3 » 04 Jul 2011

Personally I think the program should create a vote for the person who creates the feature request just in case they forget or even just in case they assume it is obvious they would vote for it. This would be under the assumption that it is creating a record for each vote and it does not allow a double vote for that user. All this would be the same with bugs.

Anyway, since the weekend, I went ahead and voted for my two arrow requests (one is done I guess) but have not voted yet for all my other stuff. So I guess the current answer is we should vote until the program is changed (if TSS agrees with this idea that is).

Stan Bokov

Postby Stan Bokov » 04 Jul 2011

Personally I think the program should create a vote for the person who creates the feature request just in case they forget or even just in case they assume it is obvious they would vote for it. This would be under the assumption that it is creating a record for each vote and it does not allow a double vote for that user. All this would be the same with bugs.

Anyway, since the weekend, I went ahead and voted for my two arrow requests (one is done I guess) but have not voted yet for all my other stuff. So I guess the current answer is we should vote until the program is changed (if TSS agrees with this idea that is).
We may implement it in the future, but this change is not critical - so it may be a while. Even politicians still have to vote for themselves, it's not automatic :)

P.S. The official company name is MultiCharts, LLC now, TSS was replaced as the official name while ago.

Return to “MultiCharts”