Any way to save current data files

Questions about MultiCharts and user contributed studies.
bowlesj3

Any way to save current data files

Postby bowlesj3 » 07 Jul 2011

Hi,

Due to the fact that I need more memory for my machine, after a bit of running if I want to "save image as file" (bmp) I get an error. That is fine except to correct this I have to close down MC and restart it. I guess it frees up enough memory and allows the "save image as file" process to complete. The problem is that often when I restart MC and after the IB TWS back-fill the data is actually a bit different and the picture I wanted to store to BMP is different (defeating the purpose). Is there any way to store the data that has come down live so that the back-fill will only be from the point of stopping MC rather than the last back-fill which was earlier in the morning.

Thanks,
John.

bowlesj3

Re: Any way to save current data files

Postby bowlesj3 » 07 Jul 2011

Actually this time the data was okay (the same) on restart. Maybe we have to be patient and wait long enough for the data to be stored by that save process that takes place before we restart MC. However this is a guess.

TJ

Postby TJ » 07 Jul 2011

if you use a 3rd party screen capture program, rather than the built-in screen save,
would it circumvent the memory problem?

eg. http://www.wisdom-soft.com/

Stan Bokov

Postby Stan Bokov » 07 Jul 2011

Hi,

Due to the fact that I need more memory for my machine, after a bit of running if I want to "save image as file" (bmp) I get an error. That is fine except to correct this I have to close down MC and restart it. I guess it frees up enough memory and allows the "save image as file" process to complete. The problem is that often when I restart MC and after the IB TWS back-fill the data is actually a bit different and the picture I wanted to store to BMP is different (defeating the purpose). Is there any way to store the data that has come down live so that the back-fill will only be from the point of stopping MC rather than the last back-fill which was earlier in the morning.

Thanks,
John.
Streamed data is always saved into the database. It happens when you close MC, or if MC shuts down incorrectly, it will be recovered and saved when you restart the program (there is a fail-safe built in).

arnie

Postby arnie » 07 Jul 2011

... or if MC shuts down incorrectly, it will be recovered and saved when you restart the program (there is a fail-safe built in).
This fail-safe has been a life saver, although, it has a little problem, only saves data, not MC workspaces :(

I'm a guy that draws a lot during a trading session, take notes, and from time to time, I forget to save the workspace during that trading session. It's not a question of MC crashing, it's more a question of Windows, whatever the reason, not allowing MC to close correctly and next time I open it, I receive a notice that the previous session didn't close properly and it needs to save the data first. From that point on, I know that my lines and notes have not been saved.

That's why I have requested this:
https://www.multicharts.com/pm/viewissu ... _no=MC-193

Regards

Stan Bokov

Postby Stan Bokov » 07 Jul 2011

Arnie, that request was marked 'Postponed' so we'll make it in versions 7.x

arjfca

Postby arjfca » 09 Jul 2011

if you use a 3rd party screen capture program, rather than the built-in screen save,
would it circumvent the memory problem?

eg. http://www.wisdom-soft.com/
For myself I use Hypersnap from http://www.hyperionics.com/. I save them as .jpg as the file is leaner. Also, with it I use Textsnap that I used to capture text from bar data info into the clipboard and then export to Excel. Both of them are used using hotkeys to facilitate the process.

As I mention in another mail, the easiest way to cut out my memory usage was to work with 1 instrument per MC session and use only the strict minimum of bars and study. Doing that as improve a lot my overall system performance.

Is your data is coming in LIVE or as demo stream from IB. I had a similar problem using the simulation data where the data was not exactly the same after a reboot.

Martin

bowlesj3

Postby bowlesj3 » 09 Jul 2011

Is your data is coming in LIVE or as demo stream from IB.
Always live. One day a strange tick came through (so strange my auto trigger caught it immediately and shut my auto trigger process down). I wanted to capture a picture. I had to restart due to my machine's memory shortage and the strange tick was gone. I think they repair the data at IB (or even the exchange). Yes, as Stan said MC is suppose to save the data but I think somehow there are times when it maybe does not and an actual back fill takes place (which changes the data if IB has done some repair). The whole problem will be solved when I finally get around to a machine upgrade because MC never bombs these days. It is not a big problem. I do not take a large number of market snap shots these days. Most of the patterns are pretty standard and I have them all captured.

Return to “MultiCharts”