What is the Correct method of using the chart trading?

Questions about MultiCharts and user contributed studies.
NW27

What is the Correct method of using the chart trading?

Postby NW27 » 15 Jul 2011

Hi,

Using the chart trading, I have a Master Strategy being Auto placed against a stop order.
The master strategy has a Initial Stop, breakeven and a trailing stop.
When the order is executed, the above strategy is then in place. All good so far.
Now the price does some erratic behavior and I want to manually adjust the stops.
Fine, I just grab and drag the stop.
But!!! Here is the issue, sometimes I drag the initial stop and this then effects the not yet in play trailing stop, or if I move the trailing stop then the IS goes back to where it started from at the initial order fill.
Or, If the trailing stop is set for say 7pts and the price starts to go sideways, so I drag up the trailing stop to say 3pts from the current price. The price then moves 1 pt higher and the trailing stop then goes backwards to where it thinks it should be, not where I manually dragged it too. ie 7pts behind the price not 4pts from the price (I lifted it 3pts).

Can we not manually adjust the stops in our favor and expect them to stay at this level.
If the price then went to the moon and our manual level was below the trailing stop level, then I would have expected the trailing stop to go back to the 7pts away from the current price.

So what is the correct way of using the chart trading side of things? A how to would be good.

Neil.

Dave Masalov

Re: What is the Correct method of using the chart trading?

Postby Dave Masalov » 15 Jul 2011

Neil,

This issue has been confirmed. Our engineers are working on it at the moment. Thank you for reporting.

The workaround is to always move trailing stop first and then move stoploss (active order).

NW27

Postby NW27 » 04 Aug 2011

Dave,

This keeps catching me.

Has this been fixed yet.

Neil.

NW27

Postby NW27 » 05 Sep 2011

Multicharts,

Over a month since I asked for the updated status on this and nearly two months since I reported a major issue with chart trading.

What is the status on this???

Neil.

Dave Masalov

Postby Dave Masalov » 07 Sep 2011

Hello Neil,

This issue should have been fixed in MultiCharts 7.0 release (Build 4510) Do you use this version? If not, please download it here: https://www.multicharts.com/downloads/multicharts7.exe . If the problem occurs in MC 7 release, please come to our Live Chat Mon-Fri between 6:30 AM and 2 PM EST for investigation.

NW27

Postby NW27 » 07 Sep 2011

Dave,

Yes I am using the latest version 4510 and tonight I've demonstrated to Andrew most of these same faults. He has also been able to create these himself on my machine using the remote support.
Talk with Andrew at MC.

Neil.

Return to “MultiCharts”