MULTICHARTS 7

Questions about MultiCharts and user contributed studies.
admin

MULTICHARTS 7

Postby admin » 15 Jul 2011

MultiCharts 7 is not just another release. It’s a completely redesigned platform with new possibilities for all types of traders. In addition to our proven automated trading and backtesting, now trade directly from charts and DOM, trade multiple brokers using the Trade Bar, automate entries and exits with pre-built strategies, and much more.

Learn more about MultiCharts 7 Release and download it

furytrader

Re: MULTICHARTS 7

Postby furytrader » 15 Jul 2011

In terms of upgrading from v6 to v7, is there anything to watch out for? My fear is that when I upgrade, I will have to rebuild my old workspaces. Is that the case?

TJ

Postby TJ » 15 Jul 2011

In terms of upgrading from v6 to v7, is there anything to watch out for? My fear is that when I upgrade, I will have to rebuild my old workspaces. Is that the case?
I am using v7 beta,
all the old wsp still work the same.

shogun01

Postby shogun01 » 15 Jul 2011

When I try and open the Dom or try to connect to MB Trading from within Multicharts it says "you are running an obsolete version of MB Trading. Please upgrade. I have tried every version of MB Trading, no luck can not make a connection to the newest version of Multicharts.
Attachments
MC mbt.jpg
(259.36 KiB) Downloaded 7429 times

JoshM

Postby JoshM » 17 Jul 2011

I've just started 'testing' MC7 and I must say I'm quite happy with it. Thanks for a great job MC! :)

Perhaps this is a somewhat silly question, but can someone tell me what these buttons to the left of the workspaces are for?

In MC6.0, MCDT and now in MC7.0 they're always grey (i.e. not click able). I thought these were for flipping through the workspaces, but the text says 'go to next tab'.
When I try and open the Dom or try to connect to MB Trading from within Multicharts it says "you are running an obsolete version of MB Trading. Please upgrade. I have tried every version of MB Trading, no luck can not make a connection to the newest version of Multicharts.
Hi Shogun,

I don't have that problem with MC 7.0 Release (Build 4510) and can connect to MB Trading and don't receive an error when creating a DOM window. (I must say the DOM window keeps displaying "Waiting for data..", but MB Trading is in 'maintenance mode' this weekend it seems).

Btw, I did receive that same error with MB Desktop Pro, but after remove that version and installing MB Desktop Release Candidate 11.8.0.36 (from http://www.mbtrading.com/mbtdesktop.aspx), the connection seems to work fine.

Regards,
Josh
Attachments
tabButtons.PNG
(2.98 KiB) Downloaded 9605 times

shogun01

Postby shogun01 » 17 Jul 2011

Can you post a snap shot of your Dom please

JoshM

Can you post a snap shot of your Dom please
See attached. The displayed times are in UTC+1, which currently is 16:17 o'clock. Current NY time is 10:17, and MB Trading opens at 17:00 NY EST time, which explains why MultiCharts is waiting for data.

Btw, the disconnect/connect messages in the log are me testing, not some problem or error.

Regards,
Josh
Attachments
mbDesktopVersion.PNG
(43.44 KiB) Downloaded 7424 times
mbTrading3.PNG
(57.07 KiB) Downloaded 7394 times
mbTrading2.PNG
(18.98 KiB) Downloaded 7395 times
mbTrading1.PNG
(165.97 KiB) Downloaded 7384 times

shogun01

Here is a problem, the scale for US stock index futures is screwed up. I can't place a limit order 20 points away from current price

Everything now correct, problem on my end.
Attachments
Dom.jpg
(116.85 KiB) Downloaded 7403 times
Last edited by shogun01 on 19 Jul 2011, edited 1 time in total.

shogun01

I was able to get logged in, using 11.8.0.36

JoshM

I was able to get logged in, using 11.8.0.36.
Great you got it solved. :)
Here is a problem, the scale for US stock index futures is screwed up. I can't place a limit order 20 points away from current price
Did you manually added this symbol or through the Lookup function? What are the instrument settings in the QuoteManager for 'YMU1'? Does YMU1 chart correctly? Is the data for YMU1 in MB Trading Desktop correct?

Regards,
Josh

TJ

Postby TJ » 17 Jul 2011

I've just started 'testing' MC7 and I must say I'm quite happy with it. Thanks for a great job MC! :)

Perhaps this is a somewhat silly question, but can someone tell me what these buttons to the left of the workspaces are for?
Regards,
Josh
when you have more wsp/tabs than the width of the screen...
those buttons will become active.

SP

Postby SP » 17 Jul 2011

Could be a IB problem, but if i display an intraday chart of the YM future with Sessions set to "24 Hour" i get data for yesterdays saturday which never happend before as there are no futures traded. Same for the ZN, both traded on ECBOT.
Attachments
YM.png
(41.57 KiB) Downloaded 7395 times
ZN.png
(34.72 KiB) Downloaded 7365 times

smashthepound

Postby smashthepound » 17 Jul 2011

Would MC team please confirm if there are any functionalities that have been discontinued from MC6 to MC7 please (e.g. Bloomberg datafeed from MC 5.5 to MC 6.0). Thanks.

Tresor

Postby Tresor » 17 Jul 2011

Not possible to cancel an order at PFG using MC. Symbol is ticking.
Attachments
Precancelled.jpg
(181.13 KiB) Downloaded 7405 times

Tresor

Postby Tresor » 17 Jul 2011

Update: Order was cancelled in PFG but MC does not know about this (for 40 minutes).
Attachments
cancelled or not.jpg
(205.7 KiB) Downloaded 7415 times

JoshM

Perhaps I'm doing this wrong, but when I type in the symbol in the DOM, followed by an Enter, I get the 'waiting for data...' message. Yet when I click on the Magnifier class and select the same symbol followed by clicking Ok, the DOM loads the data for this symbol.

Since manually typing in the symbol name in the Trade Bar, followed by enter, correctly changes the symbol, I assumed the same behaviour would apply to the DOM window.

See screenshot below, where it shows the same instrument with the same data provider, where the left DOM used typing the symbol followed by enter, and the right DOM used the Lookup function. It's for at least 10 minutes now 'waiting for data', while the right DOM works good. There are no log errors or popup errors. I'm running MultiCharts MC 7.0 Release (Build 4510) with MB Desktop Release Candidate 11.8.0.36.
domDifference.PNG
(47.11 KiB) Downloaded 7391 times
Another little thing I've noticed is that the font on the chart, which display the trade data, gets 'rough' when the chart updates (i.e. scrolls to the left). Though this might be caused by my OS, monitor or even my eyes ;), I'm wondering if other users also noticed this. If I zoom in, out, or change to another workspace and then back, the font gets 'soft edges' again, until a new bar in real-time trading gets formed, when the font changes back to 'rough'. See attached screenshot below, which probably explains it a lot better.

Plotting text on the chart (via the T (text) in the drawing tools bar) retains their 'soft edges' when the chart updates.
fontRough.png
(5.09 KiB) Downloaded 7383 times
when you have more wsp/tabs than the width of the screen...
those buttons will become active.
Thanks TJ! :)

Regards,
Josh

rondot samuel ws

Postby rondot samuel ws » 18 Jul 2011

Hi,

Some more or less good surprise with 7.0

Now you have a Interactive Brokers Dictionary (quote manager / Tools / Symbol Dictionary)
So you have to create all custom symbol who are previously in eSignal.
Do it before open any workspace.

You have to uncheck "Require Order Confirmation" (in format Chart trading).
In beta you can uncheck and after click on "use as default".
On release 7.0 you have to do on all your workspaces

Symbol Mapping :
very often MIBSX is before the exchange. So all order are rejected. If you put the exchange in first and MIBSX in 2nd, order seems to be send, luckily

sptrader

Postby sptrader » 18 Jul 2011

Ver 7 DOM with IB and Win7

Wouldn't it be better to have the current price fixed in the center of the DOM ?
In this attached view, how would someone place a buy order below the current price , using the DOM ?
Attachments
DomProb2a.jpg
(37.01 KiB) Downloaded 7414 times

shogun01

Postby shogun01 » 18 Jul 2011

This release has nothing new. I caution everyone to use the order entry for real orders.

My mistake, to quick to judge

Dave Masalov

Postby Dave Masalov » 18 Jul 2011

shogun01,

Please enter the following settings for YMU1 from MBT in Quote Manager --> right click on the instrument --> Edit Symbol --> Settings --> Custom Settings:

Price scale = as is, min movement = 1, big point value = 5.

These are the correct settings for this symbol from MBT. If the problem persists, please come to our Live Chat between 6:30AM and 2PM EST so we can connect to your machine remotely and help you.

Dave Masalov

Update: Order was cancelled in PFG but MC does not know about this (for 40 minutes).
Tresor,

Please send us the log files before restarting MultiCharts.
Perhaps I'm doing this wrong, but when I type in the symbol in the DOM, followed by an Enter, I get the 'waiting for data...' message. Yet when I click on the Magnifier class and select the same symbol followed by clicking Ok, the DOM loads the data for this symbol.

Since manually typing in the symbol name in the Trade Bar, followed by enter, correctly changes the symbol, I assumed the same behaviour would apply to the DOM window.

See screenshot below, where it shows the same instrument with the same data provider, where the left DOM used typing the symbol followed by enter, and the right DOM used the Lookup function. It's for at least 10 minutes now 'waiting for data', while the right DOM works good. There are no log errors or popup errors. I'm running MultiCharts MC 7.0 Release (Build 4510) with MB Desktop Release Candidate 11.8.0.36.

JoshM,

This issue has been confirmed. Our engineers are working on it at the moment. Thank you for reporting.

Dave Masalov

Could be a IB problem, but if i display an intraday chart of the YM future with Sessions set to "24 Hour" i get data for yesterdays saturday which never happend before as there are no futures traded. Same for the ZN, both traded on ECBOT.
SP,

Do you get this data in IB TWS? If yes, please contact them with this question. If the data is presented only in MC, please come to our Live Chat so we can analyze the situation.

Jesh

Postby Jesh » 18 Jul 2011

I've installed the latest MC release and have noticed that the DOM with IB is not showing the correct P&L and is updating very slowly.

Dave Masalov

I've installed the latest MC release and have noticed that the DOM with IB is not showing the correct P&L and is updating very slowly.
Please make sure that you have chosen appropriate settings in (right click on broker profile) --> Edit Broker Profile --> Settings --> Unrealized Profit Calculation Mode. If the problem persists, please come to our Live Chat between 6:30AM and 2PM EST so we can investigate the issue.

shogun01

Dave,

I use barcharts for my chart feed, Mb trading is my broker

shogun01

Dave,

That sure did fix the scale. Now I cannot place orders in that default account 35014100.
Attachments
Dom.jpg
(111.77 KiB) Downloaded 7405 times

shogun01

Dom will not fill market or limit orders

* Problem solved, reason - incorrect settings.

shogun01

I have been with this compnay since they first started. I bought the lifetime 6 years ago. I am a big fan of the product. I hate to say it but this integration of order placement simply does not work. At least it does not work with MB Trading. Maybe it’s working with other brokers, if so let’s hear from them.

I feel so bad for getting so upset here.Everything is working, the problem was me. I have tried Ensign Windows, Aspen Graphics,Esignal,SC, And many others, I decided on Multicharts, and have been very pleased over the past 6 years.

sptrader

Postby sptrader » 18 Jul 2011

I have been with this compnay since they first started. I bought the lifetime 6 years ago. I am a big fan of the product. I hate to say it but this integration of order placement simply does not work. At least it does not work with MB Trading. Maybe it’s working with other brokers, if so let’s hear from them.

** Works ok with IB.. I did 6 trades today- no problems, still testing though, on simulated acct.

shogun01

Postby shogun01 » 19 Jul 2011

I deleted all symbols in symbol mapping. Then added new symbols, now I can place orders.

Dave Masalov

Postby Dave Masalov » 19 Jul 2011

Wouldn't it be better to have the current price fixed in the center of the DOM ?
In this attached view, how would someone place a buy order below the current price , using the DOM ?
sptrader,

Please enable Dynamic Price Scale to fix trade price in the center of the DOM. See attached screenshot.
Attachments
DOM.png
(22.46 KiB) Downloaded 7409 times

Dave Masalov

Postby Dave Masalov » 19 Jul 2011

Tresor,

The issue has been confirmed. Our engineers are working on it at the moment. Thank you for reporting.

sptrader

Postby sptrader » 19 Jul 2011

sptrader,

Please enable Dynamic Price Scale to fix trade price in the center of the DOM. See attached screenshot.
** OK Thanks ! I'll try that today.

JoshM

Postby JoshM » 19 Jul 2011

I have some questions/observations, and I was wondering if MC support and/or other MC users can give their opinion on these. :)

1). In MCDT I can activate the Data Window per Workspace. That way I can have a data window in my ‘charts workspace’, and don’t have it in my ‘order and position tracker workspace’. This behaviour seems not to be possible in MC 7.0 – i.e. the data window is active on each workspace, even if that workspace don’t have a chart and just a Order and Position Tracker. How can I let MC 7.0 behave in the same way as MCDT, perhaps I'm overlooking some option or 'trick'?

2). A more serious problem is the following. If I lose my internet connection (when using IB data in MultiCharts 7), and after a while the connection is re-established, the charts do not automatically refresh (like they do for example in NT) (‘Download missing data’ is turned on, both in Data Server Mode and Data Source settings). This forces me to do a manual reload.

If I lose the internet connection while using MB Trading as a data source, and the connection gets re-established, the charts do get automatically refreshed/filled in. How can MultiCharts with IB also be forced to reload the missing data when a connection loss has occurred?

3). Regarding performance and stability, would I do better to install IB’s TWS on the pc, or keep running it from the website (which launches the Java application). Previously, I’ve run it always from the site to ensure that each day I got the most recent version/build. I never had troubles with that. However, MultiCharts 7 gives an pop-up now saying that TWS is not installed and could not be found (which is of course correct). Given that MultiCharts seems ‘to like’ an installed TWS, would that be better for stability/connectivity or would it not matter?

Thanks for any insights,

Regards,
Josh

larssan

Postby larssan » 19 Jul 2011

Tresor,

The issue has been confirmed. Our engineers are working on it at the moment. Thank you for reporting.
This also happens with OEC accounts.
The orders get stuck in PreCancelled from time to time.

If I Disconnect the broker and reconnect they're gone.

/Lars

arnie

Postby arnie » 20 Jul 2011

One question.

Previous to the 7th version, couldn't we opened MC on a 2nd computer in offline mode while already opened in 1 computer? I think that I've done that several times with previous versions, but I'm not certain.

I've just installed MC7 on my laptop, but I'm not being able to open it in offline mode.

Regards,
Fernando

Dave Masalov

Postby Dave Masalov » 20 Jul 2011

1). In MCDT I can activate the Data Window per Workspace. That way I can have a data window in my ‘charts workspace’, and don’t have it in my ‘order and position tracker workspace’. This behaviour seems not to be possible in MC 7.0 – i.e. the data window is active on each workspace, even if that workspace don’t have a chart and just a Order and Position Tracker. How can I let MC 7.0 behave in the same way as MCDT, perhaps I'm overlooking some option or 'trick'?
JoshM,

MultiCharts should behave the same way as MCDT. Please come to our Live Chat between 6:30AM and 2PM EST so we can connect to your computer remotely and help you.
2). A more serious problem is the following. If I lose my internet connection (when using IB data in MultiCharts 7), and after a while the connection is re-established, the charts do not automatically refresh (like they do for example in NT) (‘Download missing data’ is turned on, both in Data Server Mode and Data Source settings). This forces me to do a manual reload.

If I lose the internet connection while using MB Trading as a data source, and the connection gets re-established, the charts do get automatically refreshed/filled in. How can MultiCharts with IB also be forced to reload the missing data when a connection loss has occurred?
Normally, the gaps caused by Internet connection loss are not backfilled automatically - you have to reload the charts manually (Ctrl+R to fill the gaps). This should be the case for both MBT and IB.
3). Regarding performance and stability, would I do better to install IB’s TWS on the pc, or keep running it from the website (which launches the Java application). Previously, I’ve run it always from the site to ensure that each day I got the most recent version/build. I never had troubles with that. However, MultiCharts 7 gives an pop-up now saying that TWS is not installed and could not be found (which is of course correct). Given that MultiCharts seems ‘to like’ an installed TWS, would that be better for stability/connectivity or would it not matter?
We recommend you to use standalone version of IB TWS.

YK

Postby YK » 20 Jul 2011

I use IB for broker and data feed.
chart symbol incorrect at symbol mapping. Why this issue happen?

e.g.
CLU1;Futures;MIBSX

CLU1;Futures;MYMEX

FCEQ1;Futures;MIBSX

FCEQ1;Futures;MONEP
Last edited by YK on 20 Jul 2011, edited 1 time in total.

JoshM

Postby JoshM » 20 Jul 2011

Thanks for your reaction Dave.
Normally, the gaps caused by Internet connection loss are not backfilled automatically - you have to reload the charts manually (Ctrl+R to fill the gaps). This should be the case for both MBT and IB.
Hm, that's somewhat disappointing (and troublesome with automated trading), since I assumed I just had a wrong IB setting and that the default behaviour would be to reload the chart.

This is an important missing feature, since it not only messes up indicators and gives gaps in the chart, but also can trigger orders when automated trading is on. Please take the time to vote for it if you'd like to see this feature implemented:
We recommend you to use standalone version of IB TWS.
Thanks!

The saying goes that there are no stupid questions, so with that in mind, I would like to ask what "Strategy Open P/L" means. :)

In the Order and Position Tracker, tab Strategy Positions, there is an column named Strategy Open P/L.

Judging from the values I’ve seen, the value is calculated as (EntryPrice – CurrentPrice) * BigPointValue, which gives 1000 for each tick in Eurex Fixed Income futures (using the default BigPointValue in the Quote Manager).

Since each tick in these instruments is 10 or 5 euro, I’m not sure what to make of the ‘Strategy Open P/L’ column (since it appears to be incorrect).

If I set the BigPointValues so that they give the correct values, the ‘Strategy Open P/L’ would equal the ‘Open P/L’, which I don’t think is the goal of this column. Besides, sometimes the ‘Strategy Open P/L’ is zero, while there is an ‘Open P/L’ - which is counter-intuitive since the Open P/L of a trade is by definition equal to the Strategy P/L when there is one (1) open position triggered by the strategy.

So, what does ‘Strategy Open P/L’ mean?

Regards,
Josh
Attachments
stratOpenPL.png
(8.17 KiB) Downloaded 9343 times
stratOpenPL3.PNG
(6.37 KiB) Downloaded 9338 times

Dave Masalov

Previous to the 7th version, couldn't we opened MC on a 2nd computer in offline mode while already opened in 1 computer? I think that I've done that several times with previous versions, but I'm not certain.

I've just installed MC7 on my laptop, but I'm not being able to open it in offline mode.
Fernando,

You should be able to use MC in online mode on 1 computer and in offline mode on the other. If the problem persists, please come to our Live Chat between 6:30AM and 2PM EST so we can connect to your machine remotely and help you.

Dave Masalov

Judging from the values I’ve seen, the value is calculated as (EntryPrice – CurrentPrice) * BigPointValue, which gives 1000 for each tick in Eurex Fixed Income futures (using the default BigPointValue in the Quote Manager).

Since each tick in these instruments is 10 or 5 euro, I’m not sure what to make of the ‘Strategy Open P/L’ column (since it appears to be incorrect).
JoshM,

Please come to our Live Chat between 6:30AM and 2PM EST so we can connect to your machine remotely and analyze the situation.

JoshM

JoshM,

Please come to our Live Chat between 6:30AM and 2PM EST so we can connect to your machine remotely and analyze the situation.
Will do.

Off-topic but perhaps a great idea for Live Support: Skype support! Now I'm often just awkwardly waiting till the support provider isn't moving the mouse for a while, so I can speed to the chat window and ask a question or give a suggestion. I think it would seriously speed up the whole process, since the support provider can then be guided by the user, who probably knows his own install best. Just a thought. :)

Regards,
Josh

JoshM

So, what does ‘Strategy Open P/L’ mean?
Just as a follow up: 'Strategy Open P/L' is the GrossProfit (Profit excluding commissions) of the position.

The problems with thousand values in the 'Strategy Open P/L' column can be solved by changing the BigPointValue of the chart symbol. When adding symbols through the 'Add Symbol' feature, MultiCharts gives certain Zen-Fire Eurex symbols a (incorrect) BigPointValue of 100.000, while InteractiveBrokers uses a (correct) BigPointValue of 1.000 for these.

Hope this can be of some help for other users.

Regards,
Josh

momentum

IB Data won't Chart

Postby momentum » 25 Jul 2011

I upgraded from RC to V7 and the IB symbols 6EU1 and ESU1 will not chart either the upgraded charts or new charts.. I get "waiting for data" forever. The DOM shows the quotes OK. These are Globex. I can't see anything wrong in Quote manager. MUpgrade did something. Eurex charts are OK.

Dave Masalov

Re: IB Data won't Chart

Postby Dave Masalov » 25 Jul 2011

I upgraded from RC to V7 and the IB symbols 6EU1 and ESU1 will not chart either the upgraded charts or new charts.. I get "waiting for data" forever. The DOM shows the quotes OK. These are Globex. I can't see anything wrong in Quote manager. MUpgrade did something. Eurex charts are OK.
momentum,

Are you able to plot charts for these symbols in IB TWS? If yes, please come to our Live Chat between 6:30AM and 11AM EST so we can connect to your machine remotely and help you. If you cannot plot charts for these symbols in TWS, please contact IB.

momentum

Looks like there is an IB issue with Globex symbols and charting. Anyone else have this problem?

sptrader

Re: IB Data won't Chart

Postby sptrader » 25 Jul 2011

** Go to your quotemanager and check the log, to see if you're getting a "pacing " error, that just means that you requested too many quotes from TWS and you need to shut down TWS (NOT MC), and re-start TWS, then the quotes should start coming in again. It happens frequently when requesting history from TWS.

I use MC7 with IB and get both ES and 6E with no problems..

momentum

No, this isn't that. But the fact that yours is OK means that it's a local prob. Many thanks.

Grigorios

Postby Grigorios » 25 Jul 2011

hey developers,
custom futures doesn't work any more on 7 release....used to work nicely on beta 5....
now they rollover to next month before expiration of current month....lol..try your self..
i am on mcdt 7....

regards

Grigorios

Postby Grigorios » 25 Jul 2011

hey developers,
custom futures doesn't work any more on 7 release....used to work nicely on beta 5....
now they rollover to next month before expiration of current month....lol..try your self..
i am on mcdt 7....

regards

ok sorry i found what coused the issue...i have added a big history (about 5 years) continuos backadjusted data to the current month contract (not expired)....MCDT didn't
like that...lol .I deleted and added the history to previous expired contract....and custom future worked nicely....only problem is the annoying alert messages i get every time i open
the program...or changing chart periodicity....any work around for this ???

JoshM

Postby JoshM » 26 Jul 2011

[..]I deleted and added the history to previous expired contract....and custom future worked nicely....only problem is the annoying alert messages i get every time i open
You mean the yellow pop-up messages when trying to plot a Custom Future, that say something like 'futures contracts for *Symbol* are missing..', followed by the expiration months and years? That error message can be solved by doing what the error message says - adding those extra contracts in the QuoteManager for the Custom Future. ;)

Or do you mean a different error message? If so, what does the error message say?

sptrader

Postby sptrader » 26 Jul 2011

[..]I deleted and added the history to previous expired contract....and custom future worked nicely....only problem is the annoying alert messages i get every time i open
You mean the yellow pop-up messages when trying to plot a Custom Future, that say something like 'futures contracts for *Symbol* are missing..', followed by the expiration months and years? That error message can be solved by doing what the error message says - adding those extra contracts in the QuoteManager for the Custom Future. ;)

Or do you mean a different error message? If so, what does the error message say?
** Yes, just add the missing expired contracts.

Grigorios

Postby Grigorios » 27 Jul 2011

thanks Joshm and sptrader,

thats the obvious solution....imho MC should check by dates if the data are already available
and avoid the messages....couse you know i don't like to clutter my QM with lots of expired symbols, instead i would like to export historical continuation data and import again to latest
expired contract and keep my QM clean.

best regards
grigorios
greece

JoshM

Postby JoshM » 27 Jul 2011

i don't like to clutter my QM with lots of expired symbols, instead i would like to export historical continuation data and import again to latest
expired contract and keep my QM clean.
Agreed, I also would like to see some kind of "hide expired contracts" option so that it's more easier to find the current contracts if some settings needs to be changed or the data needs to be checked. Or perhaps "grey out" the expired contracts would also make the QuoteManager even easier to work with.

As a work around and what could be helpful, you can add the "Expiration Status" and "Expiration Date" to the columns (right click on a column and choose "Columns..."), then sort on these so you get the newest contracts at the top, with the "Expiration Status" as the far right column.

That way you can easily visually scan through the list of contracts, since the current contracts would be the last lines with the "Expiration Status" set to 'Not Expired'. See attached screenshot to see what I mean. :)
Attachments
qmSortExample.PNG
(38.05 KiB) Downloaded 7367 times

Dave Masalov

Postby Dave Masalov » 28 Jul 2011

custom future worked nicely....only problem is the annoying alert messages i get every time i open
imho MC should check by dates if the data are already available
and avoid the messages
Grigorios,

In the current implementation custom futures algorithm searches for up to four contracts before the current contract and one after showing you warning messages if they cannot be found in the database. These warning messages only show you that custom futures series may be plotted incorrectly because there are not enough contracts added to the database.

If you want this behavior to be changed, please submit a feature request to the Project Management section of our web site so other users can vote for it.

Grigorios

Postby Grigorios » 29 Jul 2011

Hi Dave,

imho QM should add automaticaly the history to the last expired symbol and therefore keep no more than one expired contract. So one expired and one the current....this way we avoid the clutter the annoying alert messages and user can add easily historical continuation data.

best regards

JoshM

Postby JoshM » 02 Aug 2011

With MC7 the PowerLanguage Editor is changed compared to MC6. Is it normal behaviour that I experience the following (more or less) annoying features?
  • * The autocompletion menu disappears when I type a capital letter, which makes it harder to use with variables that contain capitals (such as MyFXVariable) since the auto-completion menu will vary between off and on between each letter;

* The auto-completion menu does not respond to capital letters - variables that are all capitalized (such MYVAR) would not trigger the auto-completion menu;

* Ctrl - Tab gives irregular behaviour - sometimes this results in switching to another tab, at other times I get a tab in the text file;

* If I add a new variable to a PowerLanguage editor file, it won't get recognized (i.e. remain grey/inactive) until I compile, when it is recognized as a variable and available in the auto-completion menu - which is annoying with having to type longer variables and also more error prone since there is no error checking or auto-completion menu;

* If I uncomment a code section, the syntax highlight for comments is not removed until after a compile.
Especially the last two points are annoying in my opinion, since it forces me to do quite some unnecessary compiles and breaks the flow in typing code.

Regards,
Josh

Dave Masalov

Postby Dave Masalov » 03 Aug 2011

* The auto-completion menu does not respond to capital letters - variables that are all capitalized (such MYVAR) would not trigger the auto-completion menu;

* If I add a new variable to a PowerLanguage editor file, it won't get recognized (i.e. remain grey/inactive) until I compile, when it is recognized as a variable and available in the auto-completion menu - which is annoying with having to type longer variables and also more error prone since there is no error checking or auto-completion menu;
These issues have been confirmed and added to our fix list. Thank you for reporting.
* The autocompletion menu disappears when I type a capital letter, which makes it harder to use with variables that contain capitals (such as MyFXVariable) since the auto-completion menu will vary between off and on between each letter;

* Ctrl - Tab gives irregular behaviour - sometimes this results in switching to another tab, at other times I get a tab in the text file;

* If I uncomment a code section, the syntax highlight for comments is not removed until after a compile.
We failed to reproduce this behaviour on ouer end. Please come toour Live Chat Mon-Fri between 6:30AM and 11AM EST to demonstrate the issues.

Dave Masalov

imho QM should add automaticaly the history to the last expired symbol and therefore keep no more than one expired contract. So one expired and one the current....this way we avoid the clutter the annoying alert messages and user can add easily historical continuation data.
Grigorios,

Thank you for your suggestion. We will consider it for future implementation.

momentum

Postby momentum » 03 Aug 2011

I click on the SA button to start auto trading. iT GOES GREEN, When I want to suspend auto trading, I click the SA buttom and it goes grey. When i want to re-start auto trading, I click the SA button again and it goes green. However, no trades are generated on screen or to the broker. I need to open FORMAT/SIGNAL and double click STATUS to get it going again and then hit the SA button to start autotrading.

is this by design and expected or am I missing something.

Dave Masalov

momentum,

Does it happen with any signals or only with a particular one? Does the signal generate trades when you turn on auto trading for the first time?

Please come to our Live Chat Mon-Fri between 6:30AM and 2PM EST so we can connect to your machine remotely for investigation.

momentum

Postby momentum » 03 Aug 2011

Yes, first time is fine. Its only after turning it off and then on. All signals.

SUPER

Postby SUPER » 03 Aug 2011

momentum,

Does it happen with any signals or only with a particular one? Does the signal generate trades when you turn on auto trading for the first time?

Please come to our Live Chat Mon-Fri between 6:30AM and 2PM EST so we can connect to your machine remotely for investigation.
I have seen this behaviour with earlier versions of MC too.

Dave Masalov

Postby Dave Masalov » 04 Aug 2011

Yes, first time is fine. Its only after turning it off and then on. All signals.
I have seen this behaviour with earlier versions of MC too.
Dear Sirs,

We failed to reproduce the situation on our end. Please come to our Live Chat Mon-Fri between 6:30AM and 11AM EST so we can connect to your machine remotely for investigation.

radekj

Patsystems Memory Leak

Postby radekj » 05 Aug 2011

PatsWrapper.exe is consuming memory rapidly (Memory leak) !
After two hours of using pathsystems PatsWrapper.exe memory usage is growing to over 1.5GB .

http://screencast.com/t/cGxP58H2zk

ciao
radekj

WinXP pro SP3 x32
MC 7 release

geizer

Re: Patsystems Memory Leak

Postby geizer » 05 Aug 2011

After two hours of using pathsystems PatsWrapper.exe memory usage is growing to over 1.5GB .

http://screencast.com/t/cGxP58H2zk

ciao
radekj

WinXP pro SP3 x32
MC 7 release
The best way to go about problems is the project management: http://www.multicharts.com/pm/
Cheers,

Dave Masalov

Postby Dave Masalov » 05 Aug 2011

Could you please describe the sequence of actions leading to the issue? Do you have many workspaces open? How many charts, bars on charts do you have on every workspace? What is the resolution of your charts? Do you turn on auto trading or do you trade manually?

Please send your workspaces and log files after reproducing the issue (but before restarting MC).

You can find log files here "%USERPROFILE%\Local Settings\Application Data\TS Support\MultiCharts\".
You should paste this line in Start --> Run and in the window that will pop up make a zip-folder.

gpw797

Postby gpw797 » 05 Aug 2011

symbol mapping problems

All of a sudden yesterday my strategy for TF (russell futures) stopped working. Called up my broker IB and they said that all TF orders are being routed to exchange MIBSX thats why no trades are taking place.

Deleted TF in QM didn't fix..

Look at symbol mapping and MIBSX is listed as one of 2 exchanges.. tried to edit. MIBSX comes back. Tried to delete symbol mapping.. doesn't work. Please HELP...
Attachments
symbol mapping.png
(346.04 KiB) Downloaded 7363 times

JoshM

Postby JoshM » 06 Aug 2011

I've added currency pairs with MB Trading as data source, category Forex, and the FXMB exchange, which is a custom exchange with the MB Trading Hours and fractional pips. I've noticed that, when I made a manual chart trade, MultiCharts adds these same Forex instruments, with the MB Trading Data Source, to the exchange 'FX'.

So for each forex symbol I've now got two symbols, one with my custom exchange and one with the default exchange. Does MultiCharts do this for orders, and should I keep the copies, or can I clean up my QuoteManager by removing these automatically added symbols?

* The autocompletion menu disappears when I type a capital letter, which makes it harder to use with variables that contain capitals (such as MyFXVariable) since the auto-completion menu will vary between off and on between each letter;

We failed to reproduce this behaviour on ouer end. Please come toour Live Chat Mon-Fri between 6:30AM and 11AM EST to demonstrate the issues.
Thanks for looking into this Dave. I'll join your chat when I can reliable reproduce these errors.

Regards,
Josh

Dave Masalov

Postby Dave Masalov » 08 Aug 2011

symbol mapping problems

All of a sudden yesterday my strategy for TF (russell futures) stopped working. Called up my broker IB and they said that all TF orders are being routed to exchange MIBSX thats why no trades are taking place.

Look at symbol mapping and MIBSX is listed as one of 2 exchanges.. tried to edit. MIBSX comes back. Tried to delete symbol mapping.. doesn't work. Please HELP...
gpw797,

Please disconnect broker profile, close MC, wait until all MC processes end in the Task Manager:

MultiCharts.exe
MessageCenter.exe
QuoteManager.exe
tsServer.exe
PLEditor.exe
StudyServer.exe
TradingServer.exe

Then, restart MC, delete the line from Symbol Mapping, make sure that there is no symbol with MIBSX exchange in the Quote Manager and connect broker profile.

If the problem persists, please come to our Live Chat Mon-Fri between 6:30AM and 2PM EST so we can connect to your machine remotely and help you.

Dave Masalov

Postby Dave Masalov » 08 Aug 2011

I've added currency pairs with MB Trading as data source, category Forex, and the FXMB exchange, which is a custom exchange with the MB Trading Hours and fractional pips. I've noticed that, when I made a manual chart trade, MultiCharts adds these same Forex instruments, with the MB Trading Data Source, to the exchange 'FX'.

So for each forex symbol I've now got two symbols, one with my custom exchange and one with the default exchange. Does MultiCharts do this for orders, and should I keep the copies, or can I clean up my QuoteManager by removing these automatically added symbols?
Josh,

Indeed the symbols are added automatically for orders routing. For MB Trading symbols exchange settings does not matter, so you can delete FXMB symbols added manually. Session templates can be used to set MB Trading Hours and fractional pips can be configured manually for each symbol. If you delete FX symbols added automatically, they will be added again next time you connect MBT broker profile.

SUPER

Postby SUPER » 10 Aug 2011

Dave,

I think there is a problem here, I can't find MIBSX in my Exchange & ECN listing and also I do not have any symbol with MIBSX exchange but for some strange reasons it keeps cropping up in Symbol mapping list and disturbs automaiton work. I did manage to get my automation working after your live support personal played around with the symbol mapping...however I still see MIBSX in symbol mapping...it comes back again after you have deleted it.

Regards
Super
symbol mapping problems

gpw797,

Please disconnect broker profile, close MC, wait until all MC processes end in the Task Manager:

MultiCharts.exe
MessageCenter.exe
QuoteManager.exe
tsServer.exe
PLEditor.exe
StudyServer.exe
TradingServer.exe

Then, restart MC, delete the line from Symbol Mapping, make sure that there is no symbol with MIBSX exchange in the Quote Manager and connect broker profile.

If the problem persists, please come to our Live Chat Mon-Fri between 6:30AM and 2PM EST so we can connect to your machine remotely and help you.

Dave Masalov

Postby Dave Masalov » 11 Aug 2011

I think there is a problem here, I can't find MIBSX in my Exchange & ECN listing and also I do not have any symbol with MIBSX exchange but for some strange reasons it keeps cropping up in Symbol mapping list and disturbs automaiton work. I did manage to get my automation working after your live support personal played around with the symbol mapping...however I still see MIBSX in symbol mapping...it comes back again after you have deleted it.
Super,

MIBSX should be in Symbol Mapping table (it doesn't have to exist in QM Exchange & ECN list though) for correct order routing. However, for correct symbol mapping MIBSX should be the second exchange in a row (i.e.NYMEX;MIBSX). At the moment automated mapping results in incorrect sequence of exchanges (MIBSX;NYMEX) which should be changed manually for correct operation. This behaviour will be changed in MC 7.01

gpw797

Postby gpw797 » 11 Aug 2011

When I came into live chat the fix applied by you guys was to delete the reference to MIBSX and he also indicated when it popped back up to delete it. This is in conflict to the above fix. Please let me know which is correct. When is the fix in 7.01 going to be released?

Dave Masalov

Postby Dave Masalov » 11 Aug 2011

gpw797,

MC 7.01 should be released soon. However is no exact ETA at the moment. The correct symbol mapping is the one with MIBSX as a second exchange (NYMEX;MIBSX) as described above.

gpw797

Postby gpw797 » 18 Aug 2011

thought I posted this bug during early beta but can't remember...(and it still isn't fixed). Forex cash symbols (for example eur.usd) pip calculation is incorrect for chart trading.

For example if I set a 10 pip stop loss into an exit strategy the actual stop set by MC is about 5 pips. This is with IB data and MultiCharts Version 7.0 Release (Build 4510)

Just did a trade for example..

entered short at 1.43136

have at 15 pip stop and 30 pip target set in master exit strategy

stop was set to 1.43215 by MC which is 8 pips (NOT 15). Probably has something to do the the 5 decimal places with IB data????

hilbert

Postby hilbert » 18 Aug 2011

its possible that your commission setting in the property might be 3.5$ per fx trade. Multicharts 7 subtracts the commission from your specified stop loss and so your stop loss amount is modified.

gpw797

Postby gpw797 » 18 Aug 2011

no this is a linear deal...

Dave Masalov

Postby Dave Masalov » 22 Aug 2011

thought I posted this bug during early beta but can't remember...(and it still isn't fixed). Forex cash symbols (for example eur.usd) pip calculation is incorrect for chart trading.

For example if I set a 10 pip stop loss into an exit strategy the actual stop set by MC is about 5 pips. This is with IB data and MultiCharts Version 7.0 Release (Build 4510)

entered short at 1.43136

stop was set to 1.43215 by MC which is 8 pips (NOT 15). Probably has something to do the the 5 decimal places with IB data????

gpw797,

We failed to reproduce the issue on our end. Please come to our Live Chat Mon-Fri between 6:30AM and 11AM EST to demonstrate the issue.

gpw797

Postby gpw797 » 30 Aug 2011

you guys spent over an hour on my machine "fixing" this issue yesterday but now I can't see my position entry (item mention is yesterday chat).

entered short at 1.43136

Henry MultiСharts

Postby Henry MultiСharts » 31 Aug 2011

Gpw797,
please check the symbol mapping.
If this solution didn't help and you still have the issue-please come to our live chat Monday-Friday 6:30 am - 2 pm EST. We will do our best to help you.

JoshM

Postby JoshM » 01 Sep 2011

Perhaps I've overlooked it, but is there an EasyLanguage reserved word for getting the data source of the instrument (i.e. InteractiveBrokers, Zen-Fire, etc.)?

Regards,
Josh

Stan Bokov

Postby Stan Bokov » 01 Sep 2011

There is no such keyword yet implemented.

JoshM

Postby JoshM » 01 Sep 2011

There is no such keyword yet implemented.
Thanks for your quick clarification. Can I assume that, from the use of the word 'yet', this is something that is planned for a future version or should I make a PM entry for it?

In another topic, I saw that Lars could display the visual open orders of an automated strategy, like this:
Is it expected behaviour that, by default, I don't get these orders on my charts? Until today I assumed it wasn't possible since I never saw them. However, as I learned today :), if I have open order on a chart, and right-click the chart, and then choose Format Chart Trading, they pop-up (that is, without change a setting or even clicking Ok or Cancel - as soon as the Format Chart Trading window pops-up, then also the visual orders are shown).

Best regards,
Josh

Dave Masalov

Postby Dave Masalov » 02 Sep 2011

Can I assume that, from the use of the word 'yet', this is something that is planned for a future version or should I make a PM entry for it?
Please submit a feature request to PM so other users can vote for it.
However, as I learned today , if I have open order on a chart, and right-click the chart, and then choose Format Chart Trading, they pop-up (that is, without change a setting or even clicking Ok or Cancel - as soon as the Format Chart Trading window pops-up, then also the visual orders are shown).
It is expected behavior. You see orders and positions that you have at broker only if you open Chart Trading panel or go to Format Chart Trading dialogue. It was done this way to save memory ressources if you are using only automated trading features and do not need this information on your charts.

NW27

Postby NW27 » 28 Sep 2011

Hi Multicharts,

When is the next release expected?

Neil.

Henry MultiСharts

Postby Henry MultiСharts » 29 Sep 2011

MultiCharts 7.01 is scheduled for the next week.
Please follow us on Twitter, Facebook, LinkedIn, and our Traders’ Blog to know about the latest updates.

NW27

Postby NW27 » 30 Sep 2011

Thanks Henry.

JoshM

Postby JoshM » 01 Oct 2011

MultiCharts 7.01 is scheduled for the next week.
Please follow us on Twitter, Facebook, LinkedIn, and our Traders’ Blog to know about the latest updates.
Great, that's quite soon after MC 7. :)

I figure this mean the release date of December 1st for MultiCharts 7.0.1 and February 1st for MultiCharts 7.1 in the roadmap are going to be sooner? (Or is MultiCharts 7.01 an different version then MultiCharts 7.0.1?)

Regards,
Josh

Return to “MultiCharts”