When "Build minute and daily bars based on tick data" off?

Questions about MultiCharts and user contributed studies.
Laurentius

When "Build minute and daily bars based on tick data" off?

Postby Laurentius » 08 Aug 2011

Hello,

I am wondering how IQFeed tick data is handled in MC 7 when the "Build minute and daily bars based on tick data" for TickID option is unchecked? Like, does it handle tick data with a time stamp precision or something like that? If so, what would the timing update precision be? Like, a second or something else?

Thank you.

Best regards,
Laurentius

Dave Masalov

Re: When "Build minute and daily bars based on tick data" of

Postby Dave Masalov » 08 Aug 2011

Laurentius,

When "Build minute and daily bars based on tick data" option is enabled, minute and daily bars are built from tick data. When it is disabled, minute bars are built from minute data and daily bars are built from daily data. This option does not affect tick data: tick bars are always built from tick data.

Laurentius

Laurentius,

When "Build minute and daily bars based on tick data" option is enabled, minute and daily bars are built from tick data. When it is disabled, minute bars are built from minute data and daily bars are built from daily data. This option does not affect tick data: tick bars are always built from tick data.
Thank you Dave.

The reason for asking is that I know that the "Build minute and daily bars based on tick data" is made so that one will have ticks with TickID to syncronize the trade, bid, and ask data. Making the time factor irrelevant.

Therefore I am wondering how trade, bid, ask tick data is handled when the "Build minute and daily bars based on tick data" is unchecked. Meaning, is time factor then in the picture again? And if so, how fast is MC able to handle the data. I have read about both 1 second and millisecond in this matter.

Thanks,
Laurentius

Dave Masalov

Postby Dave Masalov » 08 Aug 2011

Laurentius,

MC handles timestamps up to 1 second, however Tick ID feature provides absolute accuracy when it comes to the position of each tick within a second. Again, Tick ID works independently from "Build minute and daily bars based on tick data" option. So if you turn off "Build minute and daily bars based on tick data" option it will affect only minute and daily data requests: tick charts will be still plotted out of tick data and each tick will still have its unique ID within a second.

Laurentius

Laurentius,

MC handles timestamps up to 1 second, however Tick ID feature provides absolute accuracy when it comes to the position of each tick within a second. Again, Tick ID works independently from "Build minute and daily bars based on tick data" option. So if you turn off "Build minute and daily bars based on tick data" option it will affect only minute and daily data requests: tick charts will be still plotted out of tick data and each tick will still have its unique ID within a second.
Great Dave! This is the best answer I could get. The TickID without checking the "Build minute and daily bars based on tick data" I was not aware of.

Thank you :)
Laurentius

JoshM

Postby JoshM » 21 Jun 2012

MC handles timestamps up to 1 second, however Tick ID feature provides absolute accuracy when it comes to the position of each tick within a second.
For comparison of different data feeds, I was wondering: is TickID based on the computer time or on the data feed/quote time? :)

Henry MultiСharts

Postby Henry MultiСharts » 21 Jun 2012

MC handles timestamps up to 1 second, however Tick ID feature provides absolute accuracy when it comes to the position of each tick within a second.
For comparison of different data feeds, I was wondering: is TickID based on the computer time or on the data feed/quote time? :)
JoshM, it depends on the data feed.

JoshM

Postby JoshM » 22 Jun 2012

JoshM, it depends on the data feed.
Ok, thanks. But which data feeds have their ticks saved in the QuoteManager according to the tick time stamp, and which according to the pc clock?

Edit: Nevermind, I learned that TickID isn't exported when exporting tick data from the QuoteManager, so I can't access it for analysis. A pity.

Return to “MultiCharts”