Native Higher Timeframe

Questions about MultiCharts and user contributed studies.
SP

Native Higher Timeframe

Postby SP » 10 Aug 2011

Is there a plan for the next versions to implement a native higher/lower timeframe solution for studies
and signals?
I.e. to use a 5 minute average on a 133 tick chart like esignal or NT
with value1 = average (close (sym("ES #F,5 Min")),avlen) or similar.

Dave Masalov

Re: Native Higher Timeframe

Postby Dave Masalov » 11 Aug 2011

SP,

Please submit a feature request to the Project Management section of our website.

As a workaround you can create a chart with 2 subcharts: 1st - 133 tick, 2nd - 5 minute, add moving average to the second subchart and drag it to the second subchart. Thus, you will see 5 min MA on your 133 tick chart. You can then minimize the second subchart to make it invisible if you don't need it.

kentai

Postby kentai » 16 Aug 2011

Will be very good to have it. In fact, MTF (Multiple Time Frame) strategies or indicators are not so easy to write. Because we have to use Array to compute a new set of OHLC before we can use it. I believe there may be less than 5% of the traders know how to program this unless you have programming background.

I am not sure if Multichart SDK has the functions to allow us to call on data that is totally different timeframe to compute a new indicator and overlay in another chart without using "data2".

If yes, I would like to request for the SDK to explore. FYI, I went through a programming course for one whole month to improve my programming skill in Multichart.

Regards,
Ken

TJ

Postby TJ » 16 Aug 2011

Will be very good to have it. In fact, MTF (Multiple Time Frame) strategies or indicators are not so easy to write. Because we have to use Array to compute a new set of OHLC before we can use it. I believe there may be less than 5% of the traders know how to program this unless you have programming background.

I am not sure if Multichart SDK has the functions to allow us to call on data that is totally different timeframe to compute a new indicator and overlay in another chart without using "data2".

If yes, I would like to request for the SDK to explore. FYI, I went through a programming course for one whole month to improve my programming skill in Multichart.

Regards,
Ken
You do not need to use array to do MTF.

What issues are withholding you from using data2? It is much more elegant than writing through SDK.

You can also use GlobalVariables, or ADE to transfer data between charts.

kentai

Postby kentai » 16 Aug 2011

Hi TJ,

If I want to use MTF trading strategy or a indicator in Multichart, I got to load a subchart 2 which has a different timeframe. In my strategy, I got to use data2 in my signal to generate signals. I cannot do a optimisation on the "timeframe" to see which combination is the best.

What will you suggest in writing MFT indicators without using array?

How do you use GlobalVariables, or ADE to transfer data between charts?

TJ

Postby TJ » 16 Aug 2011

Hi TJ,

How do you use GlobalVariables, or ADE to transfer data between charts?
do a search in this forum, there are a few threads on the topic.

also see:
http://www.traderslaboratory.com/forums ... 2-2-a.html
http://www.traderslaboratory.com/forums ... guage.html
http://www.traderslaboratory.com/forums ... guage.html

TJ

Postby TJ » 16 Aug 2011

Hi TJ,

If I want to use MTF trading strategy or a indicator in Multichart, I got to load a subchart 2 which has a different timeframe. In my strategy, I got to use data2 in my signal to generate signals. I cannot do a optimisation on the "timeframe" to see which combination is the best.
you cannot optimize with array either.

ps. I wouldn't overly rely on optimization, you will ended up with curve fitting that looks good on paper, but cannot adapt/react to real world trading situations.

TJ

Postby TJ » 16 Aug 2011

Hi TJ,

What will you suggest in writing MFT indicators without using array?

using data2 is the simplest solution.

SUPER

Postby SUPER » 16 Aug 2011

I fullly support development towards Native Higher Timeframe within MC.

I have used similary solution in TS created by Martin Miller-more details on his website http://jamstrategytrading.com/TS-Tools.htm

+ 1 vote

snoop

Postby snoop » 16 Aug 2011

Hi Dave,
I have never found this to work properly. In my case, I have simply tried to plot the daily 10 ema on a 15 min chart, and it doesn't plot properly. I have reported this in the past (as have others) and the response I have received has been related to differences in the scale, which I never understood. Bottomline, my only other charting software, NT, plots this example properly.
My apologies if this is going off the main topic.
SP,

Please submit a feature request to the Project Management section of our website.

As a workaround you can create a chart with 2 subcharts: 1st - 133 tick, 2nd - 5 minute, add moving average to the second subchart and drag it to the second subchart. Thus, you will see 5 min MA on your 133 tick chart. You can then minimize the second subchart to make it invisible if you don't need it.

TJ

Postby TJ » 16 Aug 2011

Hi Dave,
I have never found this to work properly. In my case, I have simply tried to plot the daily 10 ema on a 15 min chart, and it doesn't plot properly. I have reported this in the past (as have others) and the response I have received has been related to differences in the scale, which I never understood. Bottomline, my only other charting software, NT, plots this example properly.
SP,

see post #4 & #5 and see if it helps
viewtopic.php?f=16&t=6929

SP

Postby SP » 16 Aug 2011

Opened for voting, should i add some more description or wishes ?

https://www.multicharts.com/pm/viewissu ... _no=MC-549

Dave Masalov

Postby Dave Masalov » 16 Aug 2011

Hi Dave,
Hello snoop,

I see what differences in scaling you are talking about. Please do the following:

drag data2 chart to subchart 1 and make it invisible bars style (Format Instrument --> Style), thus if for your indicator you select Same As Instrument setting in Format Study --> Scaling everything should be plotted correctly.

evdl

Postby evdl » 16 Oct 2015

It's been a couple of years.

Data2, data3 is not a proper solution when you want to backtest with IOG and barmagnifier, because this only works on data1.

Does anyone ever found a solution for native higher timeframe? Just like the JAM HT pack.

eto

Postby eto » 16 Oct 2015

I understand the pain to open many subcharts.

This is what happen to me. In order to calculate 28 forex pairs currency strength and weakness i have to open 1 by 1 the chart until 28 pair and configure all the timeframe to be the same for all charts.

Just imagine this is only for 1 timeframe and if you want to change to other timeframe you have to open 1 by 1 the charts again to configure. This is so much wasting of time and prone to configuration error maybe you mistakenly change to other timeframe that you dont want.

I hope by implementation unmanaged order in regular MC i can eliminate those pain and make my life more productivity focusing on trade. However there is no timeline on this.

MC really a great product and i have 2 licenses and dont mind to add more if all said limitation get eliminated.

evdl

Postby evdl » 18 Oct 2015

I don't know if unmanaged orders will do the same as a native higher timeframe solution?

What I meant by not proper solution, is that in my opinion, it's not possible to backtest tick by tick (with BM) on multi time frames. With a elaborate barstatus workaround you can avoid looking in the future with backtesting multi TF's. It will then take tick by tick on data1, other datastreams are taken on previous barclose with the barstatus workaround. Without the barstatus workaround it will take the not yet finished barclose of data2, data3 etc. Which will give very positive unusable results. And realtime and backtesting will not match.

A possible solution, with barmagnifier only working on data1, to test all data streams on tick by tick basis, is a native higher timeframe solution. The JAM pack are indicators and adjusted functions for TS. They will not work in MC.

At the moment I am using a dozen signals that I use as indicators to create text files with BM set on tick by tick. And the textfiles are read by the trading chart which is also set to BM tick by tick. In that way I have created tick by tick on all datastreams.

This is thousands of lines of code to work around the BM only working on data1.

According to a lot of posts on this forum, many people want an easy way of backtesting multi time frame. For professional coders on the MC team, wouldn't it be a quick fix to make similar JAM pack indicators for MC? It does not have to be for free. You can sell it as an add-on. Until MC decides to make BM work on all datastreams. Maybe a group buy?

Just an idea....

Return to “MultiCharts”