Manual, Reference, etc. for MC 7

Questions about MultiCharts and user contributed studies.
mno

Manual, Reference, etc. for MC 7

Postby mno » 14 Aug 2011

Hello,

I can't seem to find the manual and the EL reference for latest MC 7. There are new reserved words that are not found in old versions.

Are they coming soon? Or is the Wiki online now? Would appreciate a link if so. Thanks much.

mno

geizer

Re: Manual, Reference, etc. for MC 7

Postby geizer » 14 Aug 2011

The subject has been brought few times, but Multicharts keeps forgetting to respond to questions concerning the state of the user manuals.

Dave Masalov

Postby Dave Masalov » 15 Aug 2011

Dear Sirs,

We do have manual and the PL reference guide for MC7 in plans. New video tutorials will be also added. However, from our experience we know that, if we release new manual or not, we will have more or less the same number of requests in Live Chat / Forum / e-mail. We prefer to help our customers live and answer precise questions instead of writing a lot of general information in the manuals (having said that we still plan to release the updated version of documentation).

MultiCharts has become a very complex software and it is almost impossible to describe all the features in every detail. We will release the general infomation regarding MC 7 in the new manual, but will it give a lot of new knowledge to experienced forum users. I think the answer is no. Generally, we receive two types of requests for information: very simple ones from new users, where it is easier to explain it in the chat or show how to do it during remote connection session and very complex requests from advanced users that cannot be covered in the manual in details. So, again we believe that live help and interaction with our customers are better than lots of pages in manuals.

geizer

Postby geizer » 15 Aug 2011

Dave, thank you for detailed response. I do have few questions though. Frankly your answer suggests that while you understand that manuals need to be updated sometime in the future, no plans has been set-up yet. So my 1st question is simple: Do you have a roadmap for releasing updated manuals? Is there a deadline set for releasing manuals?

My main concern regarding the manual is simple: a complete list of keywords documented and up to date. That's all there is to it. Manuals don't have to be 1000's pages long. Precise, concise, and the simpler the better. If Multicharts could maintain the timely, and up to date list of PL keywords with every release, I would say you nailed it. Hence comes another question: Would you consider releasing up-to date and complete list of keywords in a pdf format as a high priority task? Thank you

Regards,
--
Pavel

dblend

Postby dblend » 18 Aug 2011

My main concern regarding the manual is simple: a complete list of keywords documented and up to date. That's all there is to it. Manuals don't have to be 1000's pages long. Precise, concise, and the simpler the better. If Multicharts could maintain the timely, and up to date list of PL keywords with every release, I would say you nailed it. Hence comes another question: Would you consider releasing up-to date and complete list of keywords in a pdf format as a high priority task? Thank you
I second that. All i need from a documentation point of view is a complete list of powerlangauge keywords. The rest i can figure out.

TheTrend

Postby TheTrend » 18 Aug 2011

Absolutely agree, the minimum is to have a description of the reserved words, the funtions, indicators and signals.

This is a real lack.

TJ

Postby TJ » 18 Aug 2011

Absolutely agree, the minimum is to have a description of the reserved words, the funtions, indicators and signals.

This is a real lack.
Just press [F1]... you will find the description, explanation, and usage example to 99.99% the reserved words there.

The rest of the 0.01% is a moving target -- there will always be newer keywords that are not documented yet,
because MultiCharts is always adding new features/keywords to its arsenal.

If you look around the forum here, 99.99% of the questions on keywords can be answered by pressing [F1],
the other 0.01% of the keywords are new implementations,
in which if you do a search, you will find they also have been explained multiple times here on the forum.

I am not saying documentation is not needed, nor improved.
I am just saying, the "minimum" is already there, you just have to press [F1] to access it,

ps.
functions are described in the ebook:
The EasyLanguage Functions & Reserved Words Reference
https://www.TS.com/support/bo ... ds_Ref.pdf

description of indicators and strategies are here:
https://www.multicharts.com/support/base/

FAQ:
viewtopic.php?f=16&t=6929

dblend

Hi TJ,

Thank you for you reply. The fact that 99.9% of the function are already there makes it easier for MC to document the rest of the functions. As a newbie like myself, i am not aware that certain functions exist such as RecalcLastbarAfter, PlaceMarketOrder, ChangeMarketPosition etc and only found them through live help (which is very good) and using the forum. There should be a document which resides (possibly online) that contains an up-to-date list and explanation of all Powerlanguage keywords.

geizer

Postby geizer » 18 Aug 2011

TJ,
Thank you for response. It's the content of the documentation that is the subject in question. Some has not been updated since 2009, and some as old as 2007.

Here is an example:
Two years ago after the release I pointed TS Support team to a link to an outdated data-sheet (version 4.0) The response was precisely this: Thanks, we will update it.
And data-sheet is a sales document! It's not a watered down hundreds page manual. It is a sales document containing dry facts only! Features of the software are the only pieces of information listed in a table 11 pages long.
It's 3Q of 2011 and one can still observe same (Multicharts v 4.0) document here: http://www.multicharts.com/multicharts/ ... mentation/

The data-sheet is what I looked at before buying the product.

Aaahhh,...Forget sales... back to the subject. It's the newly added PL keywords that people want. Multicharts doesn't want more sales. Or does it?

Dave Masalov

Postby Dave Masalov » 18 Aug 2011

Dear Sirs,

Indeed, the list of all Power Language keywords is an important piece of documentation and we will release it shortly.

dblend

Thanks Dave, and also for all your continued support

geizer

Postby geizer » 18 Aug 2011

Dear Sirs,

Indeed, the list of all Power Language keywords is an important piece of documentation and we will release it shortly.
Dave,
Thanks to paying attention to the subject. I wish Multicharts a smooth business and (ever increasing) sales.

sarus

Postby sarus » 06 Sep 2011

will you also release a list with description of all the the functions. I know there is an easylanguage manual but that one has not been updated for years.

I think all we need is reserved words + functions

Dave Masalov

Postby Dave Masalov » 12 Sep 2011

sarus,

Please explain what do you mean by "all the functions". Not all Easy Language functions are supported in MultiCharts. At the moment we plan to release updated list of Power Language keywords with descriptions.

sarus

Postby sarus » 12 Sep 2011

I understand, but powerlanguage also contain a lot of functions. It would be helpful to see a description of these functions

EddyEd

Postby EddyEd » 15 Sep 2011

Hi,
is there any documentation about the chart trading features and DOM? Its new in MC7, and I ithink it would be a minimum to offer a documentation about this.
Best Regards,
Heinz

TJ

Postby TJ » 15 Sep 2011

I understand, but powerlanguage also contain a lot of functions. It would be helpful to see a description of these functions
can you name one?

I am sure the tech support would post the definition immediately.

Dave Masalov

Postby Dave Masalov » 15 Sep 2011

there any documentation about the chart trading features and DOM? Its new in MC7, and I ithink it would be a minimum to offer a documentation about this.
Dear Heinz,

It is in the works. We'll do our best to release updated Help as soon as possible.

Return to “MultiCharts”