Real-Time Market Scanner Question  [SOLVED]

Questions about MultiCharts and user contributed studies.
TonyB

Real-Time Market Scanner Question

Postby TonyB » 23 Aug 2011

Is there a way within the Real-Time Market Scanner to re-organize the instruments? I see right click, sort, but that won't allow the user to put the tickers in a specific sequence. Thanks.

Stan Bokov

Re: Real-Time Market Scanner Question

Postby Stan Bokov » 23 Aug 2011

You can cut and past groups of symbols within the Scanner, just like in a spreadsheet. It's also easier if you right-click on the Column headings and choose 'Show Row Selector' option - then you can navigate using row numbers.

TonyB

Postby TonyB » 24 Aug 2011

Thank you Stan.

Not sure why I didn't try copy or paste...

In one scanner, I have stocks, ETF's and futures. I want them grouped as such, and within, grouped even more, like stocks by their sector... I have spaces between these groupings for better visual separation. Is there a way to add blank rows or spaces? I see how to delete, but not how to add or insert rows to grow instruments withing groupings...

As an example, I just pasted some instruments to a desired location, but in doing so, the last instrument now occupies the blank row that was there. I want to re-add a blank row to create a separation from the next group.

Hope that makes sense. Thanks!

TonyB

Postby TonyB » 24 Aug 2011

Stan, in addition to the spacing question, as I play more with the scanner, a couple more questions...

Is it possible to delete RSI OverBot and OverSld? I added RSI to my scanner hoping to just see the RSI number, but it also include these two definitional pieces, which are not of much value in the scanner and take-up precious space. The fields cannot be left blank (tried), and using zero, just makes for zeroes...

Can one edit the titles? I added four EMA's to my scanner: 20, 50, 100 and 200 daily. All four on top read the same, Mov Avg Exponential. If possible for the user to edit to make it shorter and more accurate, such as 20 EMA, that would be helpful in remembering the periods...

Alerts. When one goes into Format Study, there is an Alerts tab. Do MCDT users have alert capabilities such that there can be notifications when the last price has crossed an EMA, or within 1% of it? If so, kindly direct me to where I can learn how to set this up...

Thank you very much!

Stan Bokov

Postby Stan Bokov » 24 Aug 2011

Thank you Stan.

Not sure why I didn't try copy or paste...

In one scanner, I have stocks, ETF's and futures. I want them grouped as such, and within, grouped even more, like stocks by their sector... I have spaces between these groupings for better visual separation. Is there a way to add blank rows or spaces? I see how to delete, but not how to add or insert rows to grow instruments withing groupings...

As an example, I just pasted some instruments to a desired location, but in doing so, the last instrument now occupies the blank row that was there. I want to re-add a blank row to create a separation from the next group.

Hope that makes sense. Thanks!
No you can't insert blank lines. You can however click on the first instrument in the new group and choose Insert Group. that will insert a separation line in the form of a group heading.

Stan Bokov

Postby Stan Bokov » 24 Aug 2011

Stan, in addition to the spacing question, as I play more with the scanner, a couple more questions...

Is it possible to delete RSI OverBot and OverSld?

Right-click on the Study, choose Plot, and uncheck the OverBot and OverSld.

Can one edit the titles? I added four EMA's to my scanner: 20, 50, 100 and 200 daily. All four on top read the same, Mov Avg Exponential. If possible for the user to edit to make it shorter and more accurate, such as 20 EMA, that would be helpful in remembering the periods...
In the full MC you can. Just edit the Inputs fields in the script.
Alerts. When one goes into Format Study, there is an Alerts tab. Do MCDT users have alert capabilities such that there can be notifications when the last price has crossed an EMA, or within 1% of it? If so, kindly direct me to where I can learn how to set this up...
Double-click the study. Go to Alerts tab, and enable alerts. You can receive visual, audio and/or email alerts. It's pretty self-explanatory, but you can learn more about it in the Help file.

TonyB

Postby TonyB » 25 Aug 2011

Is it possible to delete RSI OverBot and OverSld?

Right-click on the Study, choose Plot, and uncheck the OverBot and OverSld.

Perfect, thank you.
In the full MC you can. Just edit the Inputs fields in the script.

That's good to know and very helpful, especially where alerts are set-up... (see below)
Double-click the study. Go to Alerts tab, and enable alerts. You can receive visual, audio and/or email alerts. It's pretty self-explanatory, but you can learn more about it in the Help file.
That much I saw, but apparently there is some info in the Help file that I'll need to look at more carefully. For now, I set-up alerts on all four EMA's (20, 50, 100 & 200) and RSI, just to see how it works... I immediately received alerts that read (two examples):

Source: Mov Avg Exponential
Instrument: MOS
Resolution: 1 Day
Price: 67.44

Source: RSI
Instrument: GLD
Resolution: 1 Day
Price 171.65

In the Help file, is there information on how to customize these alerts? Here is what I mean. On the top one above, firstly, I don't know which of the four moving averages is "turning up." More importantly, I want to know only when the EMA is breached by the current price, upward or downward. Or, maybe I'd want to an alert when the current price is within 1 or 2% of the EMA. Is this level of customization only possible in MC, not MCDT? If the Help file contains the information on how to do this, just tell me, and I'll look again...

With respect to the scanner, when I add new instruments, it is not automatically calculating all four EMA's. It uses the the MC default 9 EMA for all four. I know I can change the default, but how to four different ones such that when I add instruments, all four EMA's are computed?

Stan Bokov

Re: Real-Time Market Scanner Question  [SOLVED]

Postby Stan Bokov » 29 Aug 2011

You can rename the indicators to what you like, and customize the messages they produce in the full MC, not in MCDT. That would also let you define values by default for each one that you create in the script, so you don't have to customize them by hand in the Scanner in MCDT. So for both questions - no way to do it in MCDT, and you'll need MC full.

TonyB

Postby TonyB » 30 Aug 2011

You can rename the indicators to what you like, and customize the messages they produce in the full MC, not in MCDT. That would also let you define values by default for each one that you create in the script, so you don't have to customize them by hand in the Scanner in MCDT. So for both questions - no way to do it in MCDT, and you'll need MC full.
MC is certainly more flexible.

This one aspect seems like a short-coming for MCDT though. There is the option in MCDT to change the EMA period and to apply it to just that one or all instruments in that column. If done to all, every instrument in that column is the same EMA. Perfect. With that established, one would think that any instruments added later would also be that same EMA, but that's not the case. The newly added one defaults to 9 EMA, not what the user had set for all the other instruments in that column. As it stands now, when a new instrument is added, the user must remember to re-apply to all instruments for desired settings to apply.

Seems like the intent is to allow for this in MCDT, but this is problematic with the situation described. If you agree, I can open a PM case.

Thank you Stan.

Stan Bokov

Postby Stan Bokov » 31 Aug 2011

You can post a feature request in the PM to make this easier in MCDT.

Return to “MultiCharts”