RangeBars with ADE

Questions about MultiCharts and user contributed studies.
Rick Webber

RangeBars with ADE

Postby Rick Webber » 30 Aug 2011

My "Search" is not working at the moment so sorry if this is a repeat topic but can someone tell me is I can access RangeBar data from a higher time frame using ADE for backtesting purposes? How about intrabar data?

Henry MultiСharts

Re: RangeBars with ADE

Postby Henry MultiСharts » 31 Aug 2011

Hello, Rick. I have checked the information with our coder and he has confirmed that Range (Point) bars are compatable with ADE-Global Varibles, as long as the other chart types.
The second solution I've provided you at the Live chat is also correct (Plot 3 data series and reference them in the script).

Rick Webber

Postby Rick Webber » 05 Sep 2011

Sure would be nice if someone had an example after reading this below.

New BarType reserved word numbers were created when Kagi, Kase, Line Break, Momentum, Range and Reno charts were introduced in 8.5. I'd suspect that the earlier developed ADE code can not interpret these new BarTypes, and thus generates an error.

ADE only supports minute, daily, weekly and monthly charts. TZS supports tick based charts.

The error you're seeing comes from the ADE.BarInterval function which doesn't understand the new BarType return values.

It's easy to modify ADE.BarInterval but this opens up a whole can of worms. I can see, for instance, that a Kagi chart can be based on minute or tick data. So, if you were working with Kase charts based on minute data you would use ADE. But if you were using Kase charts based on tick data you would use TZS. (Saying that, TZS uses a counter to accurately compare tick bars. I don't know enough about how these new bar types are constructed to know whether this methodology would actually work with them.)

In addition, Kase charts (for instance) have additional options over time based charts. A time based chart has a type ('minute') and an interval ('20'). But a Kase chart has a type ('Kase'), an 'Interval' (which can be further split into tick, minute or daily+), a 'reversal' and a 'reversal type'. I'm not aware of any programatic way of identifying all this information.

In short, ADE wasn't designed for these new bar types and won't work with them without a) a set of reserved words that allow you to properly identify the chart setup and b) substantial changes to ADE.

EDIT:
That's not to say that solutions can't be found for particular setups, just that each solution will be ad-hoc. There is no generic ADE solution for these new bar types.

Henry MultiСharts

Postby Henry MultiСharts » 14 Sep 2011

"ADE only supports minute, daily, weekly and monthly charts. TZS supports tick based charts."-this is how it is written down in the functions. But the ELCollections.dll can handle new chart types. To achieve your goal you need to improve the existing Power Language script functions.

Return to “MultiCharts”