Why can't I use Plot1(... in a Signal??

Questions about MultiCharts and user contributed studies.
NW27

Why can't I use Plot1(... in a Signal??

Postby NW27 » 02 Sep 2011

Hi,

Why can't I use the plot command in a signal. As an example, I have a entry signal that uses a Buy on Stop order type. The actual buy price is a variable that is carried over from one bar to the next.
When executing the line with the Buy order, I would like to plot this Buy Stop order price on the chart.

Conversely, why can't I use MarketPostion in an indicator.
In this instance I have a trailing stop indicator that I only want displayed on the chart when I'm in a real trade.
I mainly use the "Chart Trading" for placing actual trades.
Only plotting the relevant indicators that are required at the time would make for cleaner charts. Ie turn on the entry indicators when waiting for a trade. Turn these off when in a trade and turn on the exit indicators when in a trade.
All easily achieved if the MarketPosition was available. When trading using the Chart Trader, the system knows when I'm in a trade, because it's attempting to do it's thing. Ie IS. & BE.

And don't tell me I can turn the Status On/Off when I'm trading on 25 tick charts.

Neil.

TJ

Re: Why can't I use Plot1(... in a Signal??

Postby TJ » 02 Sep 2011

Hi,

Why can't I use the plot command in a signal. As an example, I have a entry signal that uses a Buy on Stop order type. The actual buy price is a variable that is carried over from one bar to the next.
When executing the line with the Buy order, I would like to plot this Buy Stop order price on the chart.

Conversely, why can't I use MarketPostion in an indicator.
In this instance I have a trailing stop indicator that I only want displayed on the chart when I'm in a real trade.
I mainly use the "Chart Trading" for placing actual trades.
Only plotting the relevant indicators that are required at the time would make for cleaner charts. Ie turn on the entry indicators when waiting for a trade. Turn these off when in a trade and turn on the exit indicators when in a trade.
All easily achieved if the MarketPosition was available. When trading using the Chart Trader, the system knows when I'm in a trade, because it's attempting to do it's thing. Ie IS. & BE.

And don't tell me I can turn the Status On/Off when I'm trading on 25 tick charts.

Neil.
1. you cannot use plot in a strategy, only in an indicator.

You can use drawing objects if that helps.

2. Can you use i_MarketPosition_at_Broker ?

NW27

Postby NW27 » 02 Sep 2011

Hi TJ,

So the below plot should work when I'm in a long trade?

Code: Select all

if i_MarketPosition_at_Broker = 1 then
Plot1(Trailing_Stop[1],"TS LX");
Just tried it, it doesn't?
If I comment out the IF line it works fine.
Remember, I'm using the "Chart Trader" for entries etc.

Neil.

nuno-online

Postby nuno-online » 02 Sep 2011

Neil

TJ said
"
1. you cannot use plot in a strategy, only in an indicator.

You can use drawing objects if that helps."

Here is an example using drawing objects
http://www.markplex.com/tutorial11.php

Nuno

Return to “MultiCharts”