print list of newly signaled trades

Questions about MultiCharts and user contributed studies.
virginiatrader

print list of newly signaled trades

Postby virginiatrader » 09 Oct 2011

Hello all!

Does MC 7.1 Beta provide the capability of printing two summaries of trades? That is, for the 38 markets I follow and apply my trend-following system to, can I generate two reports:

1) A summary of all the markets, and open trade or flat status.
2) A summary of those markets that have signaled a new long, covered a long, a new short, or a buy to cover?

I want to run these reports independently of one another.

Any and all guidance is appreciated in advance.

Regards,

virginiatrader

JoshM

Re: print list of newly signaled trades

Postby JoshM » 10 Oct 2011

Does MC 7.1 Beta provide the capability of printing two summaries of trades? That is, for the 38 markets I follow and apply my trend-following system to, can I generate two reports:

1) A summary of all the markets, and open trade or flat status.
2) A summary of those markets that have signaled a new long, covered a long, a new short, or a buy to cover?

I want to run these reports independently of one another.
Short answer:
No, you can't. What you can do is vote for a Project Management entry that aims to do something similar (see MC-566 - Global strategy management) or/and add your own Project Management entry.

Long answer:
Some workarounds you could try:

- Sending the data from MultiCharts regarding open positions to an Excel file, which in effect will act as your "38 Markets Global Overview" (look in the "User Contributed Studies and Indicator Library" subforum for posts from "arjfca", he has written more about this).

- Using the Market Scanner and use GlobalVariables to save the MarketPosition for each instrument, and then use an indicator in the Market Scanner to plot this value. For example, if you are long ES, you could give the GlobalVariable named "ES" the value of 1, and then use an indicator to plot the 1 in the Market Scanner, alerting you that you are long the ES (and a value of 0 for flat, and -1 for short). The same can be done for example the position size, trades that day or open position profit.

Drawbacks of this method: the Market Scanner can only display numeric values (so you'll have to know that a 1 means "long" and a -1 "short", but you can give the indicator a custom colour, for example green for 1 and red for -1, alerting you of a long or short position), and GlobalVariables only work in real-time (so you can't use it in backtesting).

- Depending on how frequent this data should update, you could write the data for each instrument to an text file (for example, every 5 minutes), and use an log monitor program (tip: SnakeTail) to monitor this text file. Biggest drawback of this approach: no real-time updating.

Just some thoughts that hopefully can point you in a workable direction or trigger more concrete/helpful responses. :)

Regards,
Josh

Henry MultiСharts

Postby Henry MultiСharts » 10 Oct 2011

Josh is correct. Thank you for the detailed answer.

virginiatrader

Postby virginiatrader » 10 Oct 2011

Thanks, folks.

I will work on the Market Scanner and Project Management suggestions, and report on my successes and failures.

virginiatrader

JoshM

Postby JoshM » 13 Oct 2011

Woops. Sorry VirginiaTrader, but..
(..)
the Market Scanner can only display numeric values (so you'll have to know that a 1 means "long" and a -1 "short", but you can give the indicator a custom colour, for example green for 1 and red for -1, alerting you of a long or short position), (..)
This is wrong. The Market Scanner can plot indicators with strings. Just use the Plot(); command, for example:

Code: Select all

Plot1(getsymbolname);
Plot2(FormatTime("HH:mm:ss", el_timetodatetime_s(currenttime_s)));
Plot3(description);
Regards,
Josh

Return to “MultiCharts”