Any software to concatenate .wav files.

Questions about MultiCharts and user contributed studies.
bowlesj3

Any software to concatenate .wav files.

Postby bowlesj3 » 14 Nov 2011

Does anyone know of software that can concatenate a string of 15 or 20 .wav files into a single .wav file. Preferably something that can take a command line of .wav files. Actually if it can use an input text file list of .wav files that would be even better. I gather each .wav file has a header and the process requires removal of the headers and creation of a header in the output result file.

The purpose is to change the order of what is heard in the final .wav file.

Thanks,
John

TJ

Re: Any software to concatenate .wav files.

Postby TJ » 14 Nov 2011

Does anyone know of software that can concatenate a string of 15 or 20 .wav files into a single .wav file. Preferably something that can take a command line of .wav files. Actually if it can use an input text file list of .wav files that would be even better. I gather each .wav file has a header and the process requires removal of the headers and creation of a header in the output result file.

The purpose is to change the order of what is heard in the final .wav file.

Thanks,
John
the Sound Recorder that comes with Windows can do basic editing for you: append, truncate, etc.,

sptrader

Postby sptrader » 14 Nov 2011

A fancier audio editor program (and free) is Audacity..

http://audacity.sourceforge.net/

bowlesj3

I have an older version of Audacity. I am not sure if it can do what I hope. I want to create a series of .wav files then put the names of each one in a text list (1 text line per .wav file). So the merge program would run with say 1 button click (a shell command maybe) and it would use the text list to find the .wav files and merge them all in the order specified by the text list to create the output file. So to change the order I would just change the order in the text list and run the merge again. Maybe the newer version of Audacity can do this. Right now I have to cut and past with Audacity and it is a very slow process actually compared to what I have in mind.

TJ

Postby TJ » 14 Nov 2011

all you need are 3 sound files:

1. BUY NOW
2. SHORT NOW
3. Take profit now

;-)>

bowlesj3

Thanks TJ, Using the thanks buttons still gives an error. I think you have outrun your thanks limit.

I will search the web tonight and if I find something post it to this thread. I have a feeling there is a command line in windows for it (the old dos stuff). Maybe I can use that.

bowlesj3

Google searches such as "How to concatenate .wav files" or "How to join .wav files" produced some forum discussions.

"Shuangs Audio Joiner" is the one I have selected (freeware).
I can put all the .wav files in a directory and just go ctrl+a to highlight all of them. Changing the order would be a simple number at the front rename or I can move them in the software itself.

WaveMerge is a $30 software that looks good.
AddaWav.exe only joins into the first file.
There are others out there.

geizer

Postby geizer » 14 Nov 2011

John,

If the number of possible combinations (of your .wav files) is finite, you could just pre-record all combinations of your text in the form of complete phrases.
You could convert your phrases into .wav files using the following online service: http://www2.research.att.com/~ttsweb/tts/demo.php The speech quality is good.
Check the fine print/license before using. A commercial product is available, which, i believe in the form of some .dll and will speak any text you throw at it.

Alternative method, you could also prerecord your short phrases and control the playback order from within your Power language code.

Thoughts?

bowlesj3

Postby bowlesj3 » 15 Nov 2011

Hi geizer,

I have seen that product. it is computer voice as you say. It can't really do what I do. I actually do two things (computer voice and my voice).

For computer voice:
I use an old freeware program (better than Speakonia) to voice any text that hits the clipboard (basically it speaks it instantly). So I my external program feeds me all sorts of instructions (as needed at any point in time) and they are voiced to me so I can keep my eyes on the market. IT is ironic that the newer version of my freeware program (which they now charge for) is not as good as the old version which was free. The order of data hitting the clipboard is basically infinite and this system needs no improvement since the external program controls the order of dumping text into the clipboard for voice reading.

For My voice:
I have been recording using Audacity since I can cut and paste to rearange segements. It is fairly fast but still it could be faster. Now that I have the new external program to put the segements together I can now program a database function that will have the names of the .wav file segements. I can easily change the order of the names in the database. This reordering process uses a sequence number on the database. Once the order is set the numbers are reassigned in even 10 increments. At that point I will program a button click function to copy the .wav file segements to a work directory (with the sequence number added to the front of the file name so they are in the proper order in the directory). It will automatically pull up the new program to concatenation them together. Hopefully I can include some keystroke control to speed things up even farther. I will see how it works out this weekend.

So you might be wondering why I am doing the voice part if I have the infinite combination computer voice. It is because my voice is much better than a computer voice at this specific function. I have automatic triggering now (and it is pretty much perfected now). What this means is at a certain point when preparing for a trade I blank out the prices from view and my voice kicks in to encourage me to 100% trust my trading system and my auto triggering (again computer voice does not work very well here). If I do not blank the prices I start the bad habit of rethinking my triggering rules and I think we all know where that leads us (missing great trades is what it gets you). After all, if I spent over a year researching the triggering I have to be sure that I let it do the job and I keep my paws off of it. So to reduce risk I blank out prices and ensure I am thinking only thoughts of leave the dam auto-trigger alone. The thing is I am always trying to tweak this voice (reordering the segments and some times inserting new ones or replacing them with slightly better wordings). What can I say. I seem to have an infinite ability to come up with something that is just a little bit better that I just have to get in there (even just rearranging the order). So it is infinite in that I have no idea what I may think of next.

A lot of traders try to fully automate because they find they let their emotions get in the way of the system they have developed. Even if there is no fear it can be the simple "should I ignore this new twist in price action or not" that causes that split second of hesitation. The down side of trying for full automation is it does not do a good job at analyzing the bigger set up picture of complex markets (humans are better at this). I say, use the eyes and thinking to handle complex market setup situations and only fully automate the final stages of triggering (much easier to program for sure). However it does require you know VB or VBA or maybe even C language. MC can not blank out prices or analyse new twists in wave structure that are in actual fact just old break patterns in a slightly different form (different enough to screw up the best of EL computer code). For me it is all about trying to use the best of both worlds.

Return to “MultiCharts”