Signals incorrect.

Questions about MultiCharts and user contributed studies.
Splint

Signals incorrect.

Postby Splint » 12 Dec 2011

Hi,

I've just been through the process of symbol mapping and the charts appear correct but when I insert a signal, the trades plotted on the chart are nothing like what they should be.

I don't believe it to be an issue with the system or it's parameters.

Any idea what is causing this?

Thanks
David
Attachments
corn.gif
(49.17 KiB) Downloaded 783 times

Henry MultiСharts

Re: Signals incorrect.

Postby Henry MultiСharts » 12 Dec 2011

Please describe what is exactly incorrect.

Splint

Postby Splint » 13 Dec 2011

OK, I've done some investigating and found that the issue is directly related to the min$move value. My data provider shows the min$move for corn as 12.50 which by my interpretation of the Multicharts help files, should be entered as 1250. I dropped the value back to 12 to see what happened and the trades all started to look the way they should, (not holding onto a loosing trade for over 2 years).

So if min movement cant handle decimal points, how do I enter 12.5?

My current settings for corn are Price Scale 1/4, Daily Limit 1, Min. Movement 12, Big Point Value 50.

Thanks
Splint

Henry MultiСharts

Postby Henry MultiСharts » 13 Dec 2011

The correct settings for ZC symbol are:
Price Scale 1/4, Daily Limit 1, Min. Movement 1, Big Point Value 50.

Splint

Thanks Henry,

Is there a list of settings available as I think I need to check the settings for all instruments.

Splint

Splint

The correct settings for ZC symbol are:
Price Scale 1/4, Daily Limit 1, Min. Movement 1, Big Point Value 50.
I've just been in touch with Randy Stucky who wrote the system I will be using, he tells me that the min move for ZC when using Pinnacle Data is 12.5 (these values vary between data providers depending on how they scale their price data). Since Multicharts does not handle decimal points in the min move value, is there any other way of entering 12.5 other than rounding off to the nearest whole number?

Thanks
Splint

Henry MultiСharts

Postby Henry MultiСharts » 14 Dec 2011

min$move = 12.50
As far as I understand that means the price of min. movement (pips) in the account currency.
Quote Manager settings are marked as (QM).
TWS settings are marked as (TWS).

Price Scale(TWS) = Price Scale (QM) = 1/4
Minimum price movement (TWS) = Min.Movment(QM) = 1
because you can place an order with the price equal to 1/4 in TWS.

min$move = Min.Movment(QM) * Price Scale (QM) * Big Pont Value (QM) = 1 * 1/4 * 50 = 12.5
That means that the symbol settings specified above are correct.
You can try to trade the symbol on a demo or paper trading account.

Splint

Postby Splint » 24 Dec 2011

Thanks Henry,

That all looks good and I've set up the symbol settings as per your instructions but there are a number of instruments which have a tick sizes of .000025, .0025, .025, .005 or .05. Multicharts appears to not have options in the price scale drop box for these sizes. How do I set these instruments up?

David

Henry MultiСharts

Postby Henry MultiСharts » 28 Dec 2011

Thanks Henry,

That all looks good and I've set up the symbol settings as per your instructions but there are a number of instruments which have a tick sizes of .000025, .0025, .025, .005 or .05. Multicharts appears to not have options in the price scale drop box for these sizes. How do I set these instruments up?

David
Hello David.
By "tick size" do you mean Price Scale * Big Pont Value?
Please provide an example.

Splint

Postby Splint » 28 Dec 2011

Thanks Henry,

David
Hello David.
Hi Henry,

Pinnacle list it as Tick Size but I think it is what you would call Price Scale. See the attached file. The numbers I'm having trouble with are shown in red text.

Thanks
David
Attachments
4.gif
(31.82 KiB) Downloaded 735 times
3.gif
(43.35 KiB) Downloaded 735 times
2.gif
(43.48 KiB) Downloaded 735 times
1.gif
(44.09 KiB) Downloaded 740 times

Henry MultiСharts

Postby Henry MultiСharts » 28 Dec 2011

Thanks Henry,

David
Hello David.
Hi Henry,

Pinnacle list it as Tick Size but I think it is what you would call Price Scale. See the attached file. The numbers I'm having trouble with are shown in red text.

Thanks
David
By Tick size in this table they understand the minimum price increment (tick) according to this formula: Min.Movment * Price Scale.
I would recommend you to add IB symbols from data source, in most cases they will have proper symbol settings.
In the Quote manager please go to Instrument tab->Add symbol->From data source-> IB.
For example:
DX. table tick size=0.005
DX added from data source=Price Scale * Big Pont Value=1/1000*5=0.005
ZZ. table tick size=0.025
HEG2 added from data source=Price Scale * Big Pont Value=1/1000*25=0.025

Splint

Postby Splint » 29 Dec 2011

Thanks Henry,

I think I may be misinterpreting what you are telling me. Are you saying that the chart should be made from IB symbol data, not ascii data from Pinnacle? I tried that with CRH2 and the chart opens up empty, saying no data. The system I'm running requires back adjusted continuous contract data, I don't know if that's possible with IB data. Check the attached image to see if we are on the same page.

Should I put in a feature request that the numbers I need be added to the price scale drop box?

Cheers
David
Attachments
symbol mapping.gif
(79.93 KiB) Downloaded 735 times

Henry MultiСharts

Postby Henry MultiСharts » 29 Dec 2011

Thanks Henry,

I think I may be misinterpreting what you are telling me. Are you saying that the chart should be made from IB symbol data, not ascii data from Pinnacle? I tried that with CRH2 and the chart opens up empty, saying no data. The system I'm running requires back adjusted continuous contract data, I don't know if that's possible with IB data. Check the attached image to see if we are on the same page.

Should I put in a feature request that the numbers I need be added to the price scale drop box?

Cheers
David
I believe you have misunderstood me.
I recommend you to add IB symbols from data source in order to create correct symbol mapping for trading on IB broker.
You need to plot the chart with your ASCII mapping symbol, then in the symbol mapping window you need to select the broker (IB) symbol that you have added from data source in the right column.

Splint

Postby Splint » 04 Jan 2012

Thanks Henry,

I've got that set up now. With respect to the settings, I had a look at settings tab in Quote Managers Edit Symbol window, I assume where possible I should use the custom settings option and run with what Pinnacle Data specify, but where I'm unable to do that, should I choose Dictionary Settings or Exchange & ECN's?

Thanks
David

Henry MultiСharts

Postby Henry MultiСharts » 05 Jan 2012

If you are referring to the IB symbols settings, then we recommend to use the settings obtained from the data source:
In the Quote manager please go to Instrument tab->Add symbol->From data source-> IB.

Splint

Postby Splint » 05 Jan 2012

Hi Henry,

Can I just step you through what I've done so you can confirm I'm on the right track. I wanted to start with a clean slate so I thought would use Lean Hogs as a starting point. I went into symbol mapping and deleted the row containing zz and HEG2. I then went into quote manager and deleted zz and the HEG2.

Then I went quotemanager> add symbol> from data source> interactive brokers. A new window opened, I went Futures tab> root=HE> exchange=globex> picked HEG2 (Lean Hogs Feb'12). OK.

Again in quote manager> instrument> add symbol manually> data source=ASCII mapping> symbol=ZZ>OK.

ZZ edit window opens> add description (Lean Hogs)> settings tab: used the default exchange and ECN's settings, same in sessions tab (was I correct to accept the default settings?).

Quotemanager> right click on zz> import data> ASCII> ZZ_REV.csv

The zz chart opens up just fine and I inserted a signal. The signals don't appear be incorrect.

If everything I've done here is correct I should be ok to follow the same procedure on the other instruments I was having trouble with.

Thanks
David

Henry MultiСharts

Postby Henry MultiСharts » 06 Jan 2012

Everything seems correct but at this stage:
ZZ edit window opens> add description (Lean Hogs)> settings tab: used the default exchange and ECN's settings, same in sessions tab (was I correct to accept the default settings?).
if the default exchange and ECN's settings won't do, you can set the same settings as for IB symbol.

Return to “MultiCharts”