SSD Drive

Questions about MultiCharts and user contributed studies.
tc12345

SSD Drive

Postby tc12345 » 02 Sep 2011

I just added a SSD to load large CSVs and it works great. I'm worried about Write Endurance. I would like to setup Multicharts to write the information from my data feed to my regular hard drive. I guess I would have to move the database?

Can I change how often Multicharts writes to disk?

What are other folks experiences with SSD's?

Info:
Multicharts 7
Windows 7
Plextor px-128m2s

Dave Masalov

Re: SSD Drive

Postby Dave Masalov » 12 Sep 2011

Dear tc12345,
Can I change how often Multicharts writes to disk?
Unfortunately, this is not possible.

To move your database please do the following:
-click Start
-choose Run
- If you have Vista Operating System or W7, paste the following command "%allusersprofile%\TS Support\MultiCharts" (along with the quotes);
If you have Windows XP Operating System paste the other command "%allusersprofile%\Application Data\TS Support\MultiCharts" (again along with quotes)
- in the window that appears find DataBase folder and move it to a new location.

You should also change paths to 3 .GDB files in the following registry keys:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\TS Support\MultiCharts\Databases\Portfolio
Path

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\TS Support\MultiCharts\Databases\Storage
Path
CachePath

tc12345

Postby tc12345 » 12 Sep 2011

Thanks for the info.

Elm

Postby Elm » 01 Dec 2011

Hi,
I'm also using an SSD, but I'm using 64 bit windows 7. I couln't find the registry keys at those locations, but I found them under
HKLM\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\TS Support\MultiCharts\Databases\Portfolio
and
HKLM\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\TS Support\MultiCharts\Databases\Storage.

I changed the file paths, but when I opened a workspace it said 'HistorySymbol not found RealTimeSymbol not found.' I tried putting the dictionary.csv file back in the default location, but again no luck. Do you have any suggestions?

Thanks

Henry MultiСharts

Postby Henry MultiСharts » 12 Dec 2011

Hi,
I'm also using an SSD, but I'm using 64 bit windows 7. I couln't find the registry keys at those locations, but I found them under HKLM\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\TS Support\MultiCharts\Databases\Portfolio and HKLM\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\TS Support\MultiCharts\Databases\Storage. I changed the file paths, but when I opened a workspace it said 'HistorySymbol not found RealTimeSymbol not found.' I tried putting the dictionary.csv file back in the default location, but again no luck. Do you have any suggestions?

Thanks
Please let me know what exact version of Multicharts are you running (in MC go to Help->About).
Make sure you have changed the filepaths for the three registry keys specified above.

Elm

Postby Elm » 12 Dec 2011

Hi, the version is 7.0 Release (Build 4510). I changed all three paths.
Thanks.

txls

Postby txls » 13 Dec 2011

I've got Win7 x64 and Multicharts installed on a Vertex 2, it's been almost a year without secure erasing/reflashing et c.

When read/write speeds will begin to bother me (they've actually dropped since initial benchmarking, but not enough to have me worried), I'll try secure erasing and/or flashing updated fw. If that won't help, I'll just buy a new SSD.

Henry MultiСharts

Postby Henry MultiСharts » 13 Dec 2011

Hi, the version is 7.0 Release (Build 4510). I changed all three paths.
Thanks.
Opening workspaces with merging issue was fixed in the latest version of MultiCharts.
You can upgrade to MultiCharts 7.4 beta 2 or select the chart symbols once again in Format->Instrument.

Return to “MultiCharts”