Controlling snapshot images on a trading screen for training

Questions about MultiCharts and user contributed studies.
bowlesj3

Controlling snapshot images on a trading screen for training

Postby bowlesj3 » 18 Dec 2011

Is there any program that can display a snapshot image of a screen which is in file format (bmp or png or jpg or any file type) such that there is no border that can be seen (such that it looks exactly like the screen that was the source of the snapshot). For example a snapshot image of IB’s TWS.

In addition to the above it needs to be able to;

**size it to the exact original size (better if this can be done after the border is removed so that it is easier to get the correct size)

**to be able to grab it and move it anywhere on the screen (better if this can be done after the border is removed)

**to be able to have more than one of these snapshots showing such that it looks exactly like a real trading setup in a multi monitor setup.

**The snapshot images can be overlayed on top of each other at times (an external program will control which one moves to the front).

**Lastly it must be possible to edit the file (if need be with a different program).

Programs that can NOT do this include MS-paint brush, MS photo editor, MS Picture and Fax viewer. MS-paintbrush is the best but still shows the border.

sptrader

Re: Controlling snapshot images on a trading screen for trai

Postby sptrader » 18 Dec 2011

"Snagit" could probably do it..

Tresor

Postby Tresor » 18 Dec 2011

bowlesj3

Postby bowlesj3 » 18 Dec 2011

Thanks guys. I have emailed both since they will know in an instant for sure.
John

arjfca

Postby arjfca » 23 Dec 2011

John,

If your problem is not resolve. I did succeed to do that using Hypersnap where my pictures snap was sent from an Excel button. All is controlled via a command line. I 'm able to define the region and save the pic under a given name. Once the snap took, you could use any picture viewer to open the file, if you do want to see like your real screen.

This is not a free tool, around 39$ if I recall. But to me, it worth it. Service is great from the coder trough his forum. Questions or interrogation are answered rapidly.

Martin

bowlesj3

Postby bowlesj3 » 23 Dec 2011

Thanks Martin,

I am going to be trying the software's this weekend.

John

bowlesj3

Postby bowlesj3 » 25 Dec 2011

I tried all of these programs. I do not believe any can do what I had in mind.

To reword what I had in mind, it would be to display a slide show of the original snapshot but in the exact same size as the original snapshots. Slide shows always seem to have the idea they have to hog the whole screen (not what I had in mind). Not only that, this slide show which is exactly the same size as the original snapshot could be grabbed and moved to anywhere on the monitor. Only by having the slide shows exactly the same size as the original would the monitors look like a normal trading setup.

HyperSnap could get rid of some of its controls but not all of them so the image likes exactly like the original program.

arjfca

Postby arjfca » 25 Dec 2011

John,
Maybe you could use a screen recorder and save your file on a DVD. It could be done live or use the replay from MC

I know some are doing that by recording their entire trading session and use it to review them during off trading time. This is something I had never done, but I do see that it could be utilitary to do it

Martin

bowlesj3

Postby bowlesj3 » 26 Dec 2011

recording their entire trading session
Thanks arjfca. Gee that is a great idea. I would not want to save it for any more than 1 day but for sure, I could use that since I have a lot of stuff going on outside of price movement. I think there was a post here where someone mentioned some screen recorders. It would be best if it could record not just MC but everything. I think my biggest concern would be potential slow downs to the trading day.

Actually for the use I have in mind as stated on the first thread, I finally figured out a google search that found something that may be exactly what I am looking for but I have not been able to install it yet (my next step). It is called "CaptureScreen". It is found at
http://download.cnet.com/CaptureScreen/ ... 60661.html

This is what the search found.
The "No Border Mode" command allows you to hide window's border; you can open by example several instances of CaptureScreen to make a photomontage.

For some reason it does not appear to have an install .exe. I just figured it out. You click on the .exe and it is actually running (there is no install involved). Next you right click on this clear box area and all the commands are there. I am just trying to figure out how to actually run it, save images, open them and see if I can show them without a border. Yeah this software is unique for sure. We will find out if it can do what I am after in a few hours maybe.

Update:
It can do what I am looking for but I have a feeling I have to run it and open individual files (in other words at present I do not think it runs with a windows registry entry). So I suspect I can not double click on the files and have windows figure out to use "CaptureScreen" to process the file. Next question will be can I bring the various images to the front if they are stacked over top of each other (the stages of Trader's Work Station orders). Lots of fun :-)

Update:
Lots of fun. Unfortunately it does not appear to be windows compliant so I suspect I will have no way of controlling what image comes to the front. For example, the task bar names of each image are exactly the same. I would need keystrokes to control the Alt+Tab sequence (not good).

arjfca

Postby arjfca » 26 Dec 2011

OK
To my knowledge, Hypersnap have a multi region snap recorder. Don't know if it create one big file or one for each region.

Maybe you could go to Hypersnap forum and ask questions about what you want accomplish. You will get an answer. IF not, PM me and I will send a request on your behalf for you.

Martin

bowlesj3

Postby bowlesj3 » 26 Dec 2011

Hi Martin.

I actually went ahead and created the post you suggested. It should be interesting to see the response.

By the way I did load Hypersnap. It can do everything except hide its borders. It can create a slideshow to hide its borders but this hogs the whole screen and everything else gets hidden behind it (not the goal). CaptureScreen hides its borders and only the snapshot appears and you can grab it and move it anywhere (perfect). To get at the commands you just right click on it (perfect). Unfortunately you can not control these images from an external program nor load them from an external program. The control program needs to be able to shut down the border too. I emailed the author of the software so maybe someday it will do it.

Thanks,
John

Return to “MultiCharts”