ASCII Mapping

Questions about MultiCharts and user contributed studies.
shadrock55

ASCII Mapping

Postby shadrock55 » 23 Dec 2011

I thought I read that you could now map ASCII files up to 16GB. Is this now possible, or is it the total MC database that can contain 16GB?

I keep getting "No Data" when I map a file that is around 14GB. Is there something that I need to change in order to get this to work?

I'm running Windows 7, 64 Bit Operating System with 6.0 GB of RAM.

Katrin Yanenko

Re: ASCII Mapping

Postby Katrin Yanenko » 27 Dec 2011

Hi shadrock55,

You can map ASCII files which have size up to 4 GB.
We do not recommend you to work with the database the size of which is larger than 16 GB.
If your ASCII file is 14 GB then we suggest to divide it into several smaller files and map it.

Best regards,
Katrin

shadrock55

Postby shadrock55 » 27 Dec 2011

I can break it up, but is there a way of getting the two files on one chart? I'm trying to use tick data, but 4 GB is not even a year's worth. My trades can last from a few minutes to months, and I don't know what to do with the trades across the break.

Dave Masalov

Postby Dave Masalov » 28 Dec 2011

We would recommend you to use ASCII Import function because it takes less resources and the data will load on the chart faster.

In order to load the whole data on the chart please try the following:
• divide your 16 GB file into 4 pieces, for example;
• create an instrument in the Quote Manager window in the following way:
Instrument-->Add Symbol --> Manually;
• import your ASCII files one by one into this new instrument.

shadrock55

Postby shadrock55 » 08 Jan 2012

I finally got this working, and it was spectacular. It loaded fast, and really worked well. The problem is that it only worked for about 15 minutes, and then my computer crashed. I think it was my fault, but I have some questions that may have caused it.

1. I completely loaded one symbol with about 10 GB of data. Then I tried to load another symbol with about 13 GB of data. Could this have caused the crash? Do I need to create a database for each symbol or something? If so, how?

2. Do I need to import the symbol in any particular order. I loaded them sequentially (2007, 2008, 2009, etc). If I now go in and load 2006, will it work?

Thanks for the help so far.

TJ

Postby TJ » 08 Jan 2012

I finally got this working, and it was spectacular. It loaded fast, and really worked well. The problem is that it only worked for about 15 minutes, and then my computer crashed. I think it was my fault, but I have some questions that may have caused it.

1. I completely loaded one symbol with about 10 GB of data. Then I tried to load another symbol with about 13 GB of data. Could this have caused the crash? Do I need to create a database for each symbol or something? If so, how?

2. Do I need to import the symbol in any particular order. I loaded them sequentially (2007, 2008, 2009, etc). If I now go in and load 2006, will it work?

Thanks for the help so far.
1. When you say "load", do you mean import?
10 GB of data will not cause any problem; they will be compressed by QuoteManager, so the resulted size will be very small in the database.
MultiCharts will only access one database; there is no option to create another database.

2. You can import the data in any order, QuoteManager will automatically sort and save the data by date and time.

shadrock55

Postby shadrock55 » 08 Jan 2012

Thanks,

1. Yes, I mean import. I'll have to import the data again and check my database sizes in order to see if that was the problem.

I think you can have multiple databases. This topic in the knowledge base discusses it, but I can't figure out how to do it in Windows 7. None of the directories are correct.

https://www.multicharts.com/support/bas ... le&id=2037

If I do it via multiple databases, I won't have to import those large files every time. I can just swap the folders and be on my way.

TJ

Postby TJ » 08 Jan 2012

Thanks,

1. Yes, I mean import. I'll have to import the data again and check my database sizes in order to see if that was the problem.

I think you can have multiple databases. This topic in the knowledge base discusses it, but I can't figure out how to do it in Windows 7. None of the directories are correct.

https://www.multicharts.com/support/bas ... le&id=2037

If I do it via multiple databases, I won't have to import those large files every time. I can just swap the folders and be on my way.
Import is different from ASCII mapping.

With ASCII mapping, the data remains in the separate text file.

With import,
you only have to import the data once, and the quotes are saved into MultiCharts' database. You do not need to refer back the the ASCII file anymore.

With imported data, you can create a chart anytime; MultiCharts will construct the bars with data already saved in the database. That's why your chart can come up much faster with imported data than with mapping.

shadrock55

Postby shadrock55 » 10 Jan 2012

Wanted to bump this because I think one of my questions got lost.

If I want to backup (or change) between databases, all I need to do is save the 3 .GDB files to a new location now. When I want to use them again, I need to shut down MultiCharts and replace them in the databases folder, right?

Do I need to do anything with those library files?

Katrin Yanenko

Postby Katrin Yanenko » 11 Jan 2012

Wanted to bump this because I think one of my questions got lost.

If I want to backup (or change) between databases, all I need to do is save the 3 .GDB files to a new location now. When I want to use them again, I need to shut down MultiCharts and replace them in the databases folder, right?

Do I need to do anything with those library files?
You're absolutely right. All you need to do is to save three .GDB files to another location and when you want to use them again - just close MultiCharts and all its applications.
Make sure that all MC processes are ended in Task manager:
o MultiCharts.exe
o MessageCenter.exe
o QuoteManager.exe
o tsServer.exe
o PLEditor.exe
o StudyServer.exe
o TradingServer.exe
o AtCenterServer.exe
o TPserver.exe
o Fixserver.exe
Then you can replace them in the databases folder.

Best Regards,
Katrin Yanenko

Return to “MultiCharts”