idle Workspaces and DOM features request

Questions about MultiCharts and user contributed studies.
arnie

idle Workspaces and DOM features request

Postby arnie » 26 Jan 2012

Hi.

I'd like to know if there is any intention to add an option to each workspace for them to become idle when not selected.

When we have several workspaces and multiple charts on each of them memory consumption may increase dramatically. It would be nice to have an option for us to select if we want to idle that workspace when it's not selected and as soon we select it all charts are automatically updated.

Version 11 of eSignal has this feature and is very useful.

Regards,
Fernando
Last edited by arnie on 08 Feb 2012, edited 1 time in total.

txls

Re: idle Workspaces

Postby txls » 26 Jan 2012

I'm curious, -- when you mention dramatic increases in memory consumption, what figures exactly are you talking about?

Because what I've witnessed so far is 200-300 Mb of RAM per instance of Multicharts with 7-8 workspaces each with 1 to 3 charts per workspace.

arnie

Postby arnie » 26 Jan 2012

Well, it depends the studies you have, how many charts...

Yes, I confirm those 200 to 300Mb of memory which may not be a big problem for a faster computer, but when we have news releases, and you have several workspaces, with several charts, all updated in real time, your (mine) processor jumps from 8% to 60 or even 70% in a second.

Now, if an "idle" option would to be available, this type of surges would be rare if not even impossible to happen.

The idea of a workspace is to separate your work, your charts. You don't need to have all of them being update in realtime. Yes, maybe 1 or 2 are needed, but the rest can be idled, waiting for us to awake them, protecting this way the computer resources.

JoshM

Postby JoshM » 27 Jan 2012

The idea of a workspace is to separate your work, your charts. You don't need to have all of them being update in realtime. Yes, maybe 1 or 2 are needed, but the rest can be idled, waiting for us to awake them, protecting this way the computer resources.
I think this is a great idea, but I suppose an option to disable this behaviour would also be needed, so that strategies applied to idle workspaces don't stop working.

Perhaps the same can be done for the DOM, since there's not much reason to update a non-displayed DOM tick-by-tick. On a related note: perhaps the DOM can be linked to the currently active workspace? That way you'll only need one DOM instead of a DOM for each workspace.

txls

Postby txls » 27 Jan 2012

That's a very interesting idea, which could be rather useful for some, however, I personally don't see those CPU utilization figures you've mentioned. My usual total CPU load is around 15-25% and rarely I see it jumping to 45-50%, given that I use no tick charts, not that many studies (if any) and the fact that Multicharts runs on a lowly Celeron G530.

arnie

Postby arnie » 27 Jan 2012

Regarding the DOM, I have a MP for it:

https://www.multicharts.com/pm/viewissu ... _no=MC-390

I've been always in favor with the PM system, but now I'm not so sure since the most voted ones continue not to be included in MC...

I could request this "idle" feature in the PM page, but what's the point? If MC team really like it they will include it in the next version(s), independently of being or not in the PM page. Above all, they choose the features accordingly with their business schedules/plans and naturally that I cannot disagree with that view despite of, as a customer, that point of view is not always in sync.

The CPU surges are only related to news release. I have ticks charts which are very demanding in terms of CPU and memory usage.

Yes JoshM, there should be an option to idle or not a workspace.

Andrew Kirillov

Postby Andrew Kirillov » 27 Jan 2012

We will not make the idle feature, because we don’t believe it is worth to do.
Regarding PM. We are very careful about it. You will see lots of the PM features done soon (some of them already finished).
For instance MC-390 is completed and will be available very soon in MC 8. You will see other great features too. At the same time you should keep in mind that majority of feature requests will be never done just because it is not realistic to implement all ideas people want. We do what we believe is important and take into consideration customers feedback too.

arnie

Postby arnie » 27 Jan 2012

Hi Andrew.

Please don't take my comments in the wrong way. Of course you cannot implement every single customer request. MC would be a mishmash of tools that no one could work with, nevertheless, you should evaluate in a more expedite way the requests made by your customers.

For example, in this case, idle the workspace, you could not have been more expedite than you were. You said no and that's it. End of the story.
Well, yeah, I do think it is worth having this tool, but I'm not gonna cry over it.

On the PM page you have requests sitting there, some "under review", others without any type of evaluation for weeks and months without any type of update.
You could have some sort of a queue, where requests would move up or down depending of their actual phase of development.

Also, you could separate the "under review" from the ones without any type of commentary/evaluation so it would be easy for us to know what has been reviewed and what has not been.

And by the way, thank you for implement my request of docking the DOM.

Andrew Kirillov

Postby Andrew Kirillov » 27 Jan 2012

Thanks for the comments. Yes we must improve our PM feature management. We are working on it.

arnie

Postby arnie » 28 Jan 2012

Hi Andrew.

One question regarding the DOM.
Have you also add to it the cumulative volume for the day per traded price as shown in the image?

This would be really nice to have. In that image, the white rectangle shows the number of contracts being traded at that time, at that price. This way we not only see how many contracts have just been traded but also the cumulative for the day.

The DOM in the image belongs to the "famous" X-Trader platform.

Regards,
Fernando
Attachments
Cumulative-Volume-DOM.gif
(38.57 KiB) Downloaded 1672 times
Last edited by arnie on 29 Jan 2012, edited 1 time in total.

arnie

Postby arnie » 29 Jan 2012

Another thing that the DOM must have is a clock.
Time is one of the most important aspect of the markets and it's quite annoying every time we want to know the time we need to look at MC's bottom right corner and look at the small clock, forcing us to remove our attention to what is most important, the quotes. Even charts should have their own clock in plain site, though in this case we can have some EL code to plot the clock in the hh:mm:ss format.

By the way, the DOM will have an option to be detached from the chart window whenever we wish, correct? There are times that it's preferable to have the DOM attached to the chart, but other times it's not.

Attachments
DOM_clock.gif
(9.77 KiB) Downloaded 1676 times

JoshM

Postby JoshM » 02 Feb 2012

Have you also add to it the cumulative volume for the day per traded price as shown in the image?
That's a good idea, I'd also like such a feature.

Speaking of the DOM, perhaps the Position Size number can be displayed non-shaded? For example:
I know I'm short 3 contracts here, but it could als be "-6" or "-9" or even a "-2" (depending on your distance to the monitor and on how good your eyes are :) ).
Attachments
screenshot.404.png
(2.51 KiB) Downloaded 1664 times

Andrew MultiCharts

Postby Andrew MultiCharts » 02 Feb 2012

Hello,

Here are some comments on your feature requests:
Hi Andrew.

One question regarding the DOM.

This would be really nice to have. In that image, the white rectangle shows the number of contracts being traded at that time, at that price. This way we not only see how many contracts have just been traded but also the cumulative for the day.

The DOM in the image belongs to the "famous" X-Trader platform.

Regards,
Fernando
We consider possible implementation of such feature in DOM window in future. However there is no ETA on this yet.
Another thing that the DOM must have is a clock.
Time is one of the most important aspect of the markets and it's quite annoying every time we want to know the time we need to look at MC's bottom right corner and look at the small clock, forcing us to remove our attention to what is most important, the quotes. Even charts should have their own clock in plain site, though in this case we can have some EL code to plot the clock in the hh:mm:ss format.

By the way, the DOM will have an option to be detached from the chart window whenever we wish, correct? There are times that it's preferable to have the DOM attached to the chart, but other times it's not.

This feature is not confirmed for implementation. You can search for various watch widgets in internet. Some can be made semi-transparent and placed on your DoM window.
That's a good idea, I'd also like such a feature.

Speaking of the DOM, perhaps the Position Size number can be displayed non-shaded? For example:
I know I'm short 3 contracts here, but it could als be "-6" or "-9" or even a "-2" (depending on your distance to the monitor and on how good your eyes are :) ).
We'll change the painting to solid one.

arnie

Postby arnie » 05 Feb 2012

We consider possible implementation of such feature in DOM window in future. However there is no ETA on this yet.

This feature is not confirmed for implementation. You can search for various watch widgets in internet. Some can be made semi-transparent and placed on your DoM window.
Hi Andrew.

The cumulative volume per price level is really a must have in the DOM.
Since you are not available at the moment to bring to MC built in Delta Volume indicators (please don't mention those GOM indicators that were modified to work on MC since it has been proved time and again they do not work, or better said, MC does not have the necessary capabilities to retrieve true bid/ask data) at least make it available in the DOM, so we can follow what has been trading on each level.

Regarding the clock, can you give me a link with the widgets that can be applied, since I couldn't find anything remotely useful. This is Windows 7, not Android or iOS.
Like the volume, a clock is another must have. For those that use the DOM to follow the markets, its order flow, a clock right there in front of their eyes will help to time news releases, markets closes, rotation periods...

Regards,
Fernando

PS: just opened PM's for these features

https://www.multicharts.com/pm/viewissu ... _no=MC-815

https://www.multicharts.com/pm/viewissu ... _no=MC-816
Last edited by arnie on 05 Feb 2012, edited 1 time in total.

TJ

Postby TJ » 05 Feb 2012

a volume profile on the DOM would come in handy.

arnie

Postby arnie » 08 Feb 2012

Here's another thing that could be changed in the DOM.

When dealing with treasuries, due to their price length, when the traded size goes above 3 digits, price font becomes smaller.

What about add another column where the traded size could be shown separate from the price instead of being presented inside brackets?
Sure we could change the font size using its options, but the problem is that since the size of the DOM cannot be changed, we are limited to a certain font size otherwise we cannot see the full price in their cells.

Regards,
Fernando
Attachments
DOM_large-fonts.gif
(12.76 KiB) Downloaded 1663 times
DOM_new-column.gif
(10.15 KiB) Downloaded 1667 times

Andrew MultiCharts

Re: idle Workspaces and DOM features request

Postby Andrew MultiCharts » 02 Mar 2012

Hello everyone,

I recommend to put all accumulated improvements for DOM window to a specifice feature request. Since in Project Management there are multiple DOM improvement requests and they all seem to be not connected among each other and to mentioned above suggestions, please create a new feature request: https://www.multicharts.com/pm

arnie

Re: idle Workspaces and DOM features request

Postby arnie » 02 Mar 2012

Hello everyone,

I recommend to put all accumulated improvements for DOM window to a specifice feature request. Since in Project Management there are multiple DOM improvement requests and they all seem to be not connected among each other and to mentioned above suggestions, please create a new feature request: https://www.multicharts.com/pm
OK, I'll create a new PM with all requests made in this thread.

Return to “MultiCharts”