Precise backtesting on Renko charts

Questions about MultiCharts and user contributed studies.
Jesh

Precise backtesting on Renko charts

Postby Jesh » 10 Apr 2012

I'm having some issues using precise backtesting on Renko charts, I have followed the instructions as per http://www.multicharts.com/trading-soft ... acktesting, however when I try to change the playback mode to "Tick by Tick" I get an error message stating that "Tick by Tick playback resolution is unavailable when there are more than one series mixed on the chart". I am using the same instrument with the same Renko settings and get this error, I have assigned the bid and ask to separate series as per the instructions provided but now cannot test tick by tick, does anyone know how to get the tick by tick testing working using a Renko chart with percise backtesting?

Thanks.

Dave Masalov

Re: Precise backtesting on Renko charts

Postby Dave Masalov » 11 Apr 2012

I'm having some issues using precise backtesting on Renko charts, I have followed the instructions as per http://www.multicharts.com/trading-soft ... acktesting, however when I try to change the playback mode to "Tick by Tick" I get an error message stating that "Tick by Tick playback resolution is unavailable when there are more than one series mixed on the chart". I am using the same instrument with the same Renko settings and get this error, I have assigned the bid and ask to separate series as per the instructions provided but now cannot test tick by tick, does anyone know how to get the tick by tick testing working using a Renko chart with percise backtesting?

Thanks.
Hello Jesh,

Renko charts are build out of tick data in MultiCharts. So data playback is done on tick by tick basis for Renko charts. Tick by tick data playback is not available for multiple data series charts, so unfortunately it is currently not possible to use Precise Backtesting and Data Playback simultaneously on Renko (tick) charts.

However Precise Backtesting can be used on Renko charts without using Data Playback. Just add your signal to the chart and it will be calculated on historical data using bid and ask prices.

Jesh

Postby Jesh » 11 Apr 2012

Hello Jesh,

Renko charts are build out of tick data in MultiCharts. So data playback is done on tick by tick basis for Renko charts. Tick by tick data playback is not available for multiple data series charts, so unfortunately it is currently not possible to use Precise Backtesting and Data Playback simultaneously on Renko (tick) charts.

However Precise Backtesting can be used on Renko charts without using Data Playback. Just add your signal to the chart and it will be calculated on historical data using bid and ask prices.
Thanks David, just to clarify what you mentioned, do I just need to add the signal to the chart without following the instructions for specifying the Using Precise Backtesting url, i.e. I do not need to have one data series setup as at Ask and another setup as at Bid? So should I use a Renko chart with the Instrument Quote Field setup as "trade" and this will provide me with the same results as following the Using Precise Backtesting instructions?

Henry MultiСharts

Postby Henry MultiСharts » 12 Apr 2012

Hello Jesh,

Your script can produce different results using Playback on a Trade series Renko chart compared to Precise backtesting. These are two separate features that function differently.
Backtesting is a strategy calculation on historical or real-time data.
Data Playback allows playback of market data with the specified speed and resolution. That is not mandatory to have strategies or indicators on the chart for using the Playback feature.
Though playback is a great tool for analyzing strategy behavior in real-time.

Return to “MultiCharts”