MULTICHARTS 8.0 BETA 3

Questions about MultiCharts and user contributed studies.
admin

MULTICHARTS 8.0 BETA 3

Postby admin » 01 May 2012

MultiCharts 8.0 Beta 3 adds a few minor features, but its main purpose is to fix existing issues and fine-tune features before the official release. Based on the feedback from users, we gauge what else needs to be fixed before we release the Release Candidate, and then the official MultiCharts 8. Main objectives are stability and correctness of functioning.

Read more...

[Moderator's notes]

1. see post #20 re hot fix

2. If you are upgrading from MultiCharts 32 bit to 64 bit version

How to copy user data for your upgrade
https://www.multicharts.com/trading-sof ... _User_Data

Note: MultiCharts 32 bit databases are incompatible with MultiCharts 64 bit. Copying 32 bit databases folder into MultiCharts 64 bit will cause errors. You will need import the data with QuoteManager.

vking

Re: MULTICHARTS 8.0 BETA 3

Postby vking » 01 May 2012

Thanks MC Team.

Would you please include the shortcut key for snap mode - "toggle" ?

For example "Ctrl+S" - to toggle snap mode.

Thanks.

Tresor

Postby Tresor » 02 May 2012

1. I like this version a lot, especially the compact mode of trade panel.

2. One icon is needed ''show / hide order and position tracker window''

3. One icons performs two actions depending on from where it is clicked (explained in the picture).
Attachments
one icon fo two actions.JPG
(110.35 KiB) Downloaded 9993 times

arnie

Postby arnie » 02 May 2012

When changing the visual order of price bars, we can bring them to front in relation to simple lines but not in relation to trendlines drawn using TL_New.

Another problem generated by the same issue and already discussed in beta2 thread if I'm not mistaken is the fact that when using text_setbgcolor it's also in front of simple lines but not in front of trendlines drawn using TL_New.

It would be nice to change this.

Regards,
Fernando

snoop

Postby snoop » 02 May 2012

Copy and paste does not work in market scanner. And related to this, multi row select is lost once background menu is accessed. Behavior was present in beta 2 as well.

Dave Masalov

Postby Dave Masalov » 02 May 2012

Thanks MC Team.

Would you please include the shortcut key for snap mode - "toggle" ?

For example "Ctrl+S" - to toggle snap mode.

Thanks.
vking,

Such shortcut key already exists. Show Snap Mode enables and disables snap mode.

xjhuan

Postby xjhuan » 02 May 2012

Uptick/downtick Volume still not correct. All upticks if bar green. All downtciks if bar red.

Another suggestion: can we add/setup buttons on chart to quickly turn on/off indicators/studies?

Thanks!

Dave Masalov

Postby Dave Masalov » 02 May 2012

Copy and paste does not work in market scanner. And related to this, multi row select is lost once background menu is accessed. Behavior was present in beta 2 as well.
snoop,

The issue has been confirmed and has been added to our fix list. It will be fixed in the next version. Thank you for reporting.

You can use Ctrl+C, Ctrl+X and Ctrl+V key combinations as a workaround.

Tresor

Postby Tresor » 02 May 2012

How do I disable TL's data frame while drawing a TL? Explained in the picture.
Attachments
TL frame.JPG
(64.81 KiB) Downloaded 9959 times

janus

Postby janus » 02 May 2012

Is anyone using this beta for real trading purposes? If so, are you happy with it? I'm just getting fed up with 7.4 as I just discovered yet another serious bug but can't be bothered to report it if I can use this beta with confidence (the bug doesn't exit in this release).

Update: I think I may have spoken too soon. I just upgraded from 8.0 beta 2 to beta 3. The RecalcLastBarAfter feature doesn't work any more! Does it still work for anyone else? I'm using the 32-bit version.

NW27

Postby NW27 » 03 May 2012

Is anyone using this beta for real trading purposes? If so, are you happy with it? I'm just getting fed up with 7.4 as I just discovered yet another serious bug but can't be bothered to report it if I can use this beta with confidence (the bug doesn't exit in this release).

Update: I think I may have spoken too soon. I just upgraded from 8.0 beta 2 to beta 3. The RecalcLastBarAfter feature doesn't work any more! Does it still work for anyone else? I'm using the 32-bit version.
Funny, I was thinking the same thing yesterday but on 8.0 beta 2?

Neil.

janus

Postby janus » 03 May 2012

Funny, I was thinking the same thing yesterday but on 8.0 beta 2?
Neil.
If you are referring to RecalcLastBarAfter, I can't recall myself as I've been using 7.4 most of the time. If the problem has been around since then, I find it surprising it hasn't been fixed in beta 3. Can anyone else confirm if this is the case?

Dave Masalov

Postby Dave Masalov » 03 May 2012

When changing the visual order of price bars, we can bring them to front in relation to simple lines but not in relation to trendlines drawn using TL_New.

Another problem generated by the same issue and already discussed in beta2 thread if I'm not mistaken is the fact that when using text_setbgcolor it's also in front of simple lines but not in front of trendlines drawn using TL_New.

It would be nice to change this.

Regards,
Fernando
Fernando,

This feature is hard to implement from a technical point of view. We do not plan to implement it in the nearest versions.

Dave Masalov

How do I disable TL's data frame while drawing a TL? Explained in the picture.
Tresor,

Please go to View -> Show Drawing Hint when the chart is active.

Dave Masalov

The RecalcLastBarAfter feature doesn't work any more! Does it still work for anyone else? I'm using the 32-bit version.
janus,

This is a known issue which should be fixed in the next version.

janus

Should be fixed? I presume you mean will be fixed. MC is useless to me without that feature. Now I don't have a stable version of MC at all! Version 7.4 is broken as it won't cancel an exit limit order when I stop issuing the order in the script. The limit order is left stuck on TWS and I have to cancel it manually. MC 8.0 beta 3 fixes this but now RecalcLastBarAfter is broken. Sorry but this is a totally unacceptable situation. We need a fix for either problem ASAP, preferably within the next day or two. Since 8.0 has other fixes since 7.4 and is close to being finalised, it's better to make RecalcLastBarAfter work again as top priority.

jl12

Postby jl12 » 03 May 2012

To move dde templates from 7.4 does the following still apply but using the Multicharts64 directory

Please click on Windows Start button
Run Regedit.exe
In order to transfer your DDE Data Feed Templates you need to export the following registry branch: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\TS Support\MultiCharts\Datafeeds\DDETemplates
On PC2 you need to import this registry key while MultiCharts and all of its applications are closed.

janus

I've logged an issue titled "RecalcLastBarAfter broken" on PM. If this affects you please vote for it. I need it fixed ASAP as I can no longer auto trade with 7.4 due to another bug but prefer to move to 8.0 as it has this other bug fixed and presumably a few other ones too.

Fabrice

Postby Fabrice » 04 May 2012

I've logged an issue titled "RecalcLastBarAfter broken" on PM. If this affects you please vote for it. I need it fixed ASAP as I can no longer auto trade with 7.4 due to another bug but prefer to move to 8.0 as it has this other bug fixed and presumably a few other ones too.
Hello, I have vote for this issue.

PS: to MC team: one day, we can hope that you will cease to consider your customers as lab rats for reporting such obvious bugs in official releases. And, once reported, we can even dream that you will address them... Do not misunderstand me: I like and have been using MC for several years, but you have to hear this because I think I am not alone to have this feeling. As you are about to add a new branch with .NET, I will be curious how you will cope with the new bugs that will come, as this is already difficult for you with 1 product. Time will give us the answer. Regards.

Dave Masalov

Postby Dave Masalov » 04 May 2012

PS: to MC team: one day, we can hope that you will cease to consider your customers as lab rats for reporting such obvious bugs in official releases. And, once reported, we can even dream that you will address them... Do not misunderstand me: I like and have been using MC for several years, but you have to hear this because I think I am not alone to have this feeling.
Fabrice,

MultiCharts 8.0 Beta 3 is a BETA version, not the release one. It does have some issues as every beta version of every product has and we are working on them at the moment. We also address and fix all the reported issues.

It is a standard process. If you decide to use Beta version of the software to benefit from new features you should be ready that it may have some issues. It is the case with every software. You can take Microsoft as an example.

As for the RecalcLastBarAfter issue, it occurs only if the signal was recompiled while being applied to a chart. If you creat a new chart and apply the signal, it should work fine.

Here are the links for the hot fixes of the RecalcLastBarAfter issue for MC 8.0 Beta 3:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/26968921/MC-9804_80b3x32.zip - 32 bit version

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/26968921/MC-9804_80b3x64.zip - 64 bit version

Just unzip the archive and run Updater.exe. When you see the 'DONE' message, click Close. MC, QuoteManager and PowerLanguage Editor should be closed while updating.

DRCM

Postby DRCM » 04 May 2012

Hello,

I installed x64 version of MC 8.3 beta. But I can`t load data from IB (trying 5 days back) I use 15min. intervals .It shows only RT data from time when I open MC. Tryed to import data from MCx32, but still get gap between imported and new data. Problem is it doesn`t backfill when I try reload all data. What I do wrong?

btw, when I had MCx64 8.2 beta installed it worked ok.

Thanks

Dave Masalov

Hello,

I installed x64 version of MC 8.3 beta. But I can`t load data from IB (trying 5 days back) I use 15min. intervals .It shows only RT data from time when I open MC. Tryed to import data from MCx32, but still get gap between imported and new data. Problem is it doesn`t backfill when I try reload all data. What I do wrong?

Thanks
Hello DRCM,

Please make sure that the "Download missing historical data" check box is checked in File -> Preferences -> Data Server Mode.

If the problem persists, please let us know so we can send you extended logging modules.

DRCM

Postby DRCM » 04 May 2012

Hello,

Thanks
Hello DRCM,

Please make sure that the "Download missing historical data" check box is checked in File -> Preferences -> Data Server Mode.

If the problem persists, please let us know so we can send you extended logging modules.
Hi, Dave
All works now, thank you. Probably after software update this option changed to unticked mode.

janus

Postby janus » 04 May 2012

MultiCharts 8.0 Beta 3 is a BETA version, not the release one. It does have some issues as every beta version of every product has and we are working on them at the moment. We also address and fix all the reported issues.
Thanks for the quick fix for the RecalcLastBarAfter. However, I need to pick a bone with you about what you stated above.

Sure we all know virtually no software is totally bug free. This is not what concerns us. I have grave concerns about your quality of software testing. This is not the first time a very important and critical component of MC stopped working after a new release. Any serious software development house must have a routine set of tests that are applied before the product is released, be it beta or final. Such tests need not be complex but in fact can be very simple in our situation. The last problem I've encountered, namely that RecalcLastBarAfter has stopped working is a major component. There is really no excuse for that one to fall between the cracks. It renders the whole package useless if one is reliant on such a key feature. I have built my own test study to make sure the key components of MC are working as expected, and continually adding to it. I shouldn't need to do this as the developers should be doing this. What's odd is this is fairly simple task to do.

Who knows what else is lurking in the new release than may be broken that was working fine before. Are we just to wait and see? I'm sure your developers have enough on their plate to code the new features into the product, and not waste their precious time on fixing issues like this that should have been picked up very easily.

If I sound too harsh, I don't mean to be. I'm just stating the facts as they stand, and as an experienced programmer with over 30 years under my belt. I've even been involved in the testing of new applications in a major clearing house who dealt with billions of dollars of transactions daily, so I know what can and does go wrong with new software.

I'm sure many other users agree with me. We all want MC to grow and grow to be the most popular ATS. So, please, do something about your quality testing. It's not rocket science, especially given it can be automated with a single script, something that's often not possible in other fields of business, such as e-commerce, web design and engineering disciplines.

janus

Oh, and one other thing. As a result of another serious bug with 7.4, I was informed by support I should try out 8.0 beta 3 to see if it was fixed. It was. What is the best course of action? Go to 8.0 beta 3 for my real trading, wait for the final release of 8.0 as apparently it's very close, or submit an issue to fix the bug in 7.4? If 8.0 is being finalised as we speak then I prefer to wait. So, can you tell us how close it is?

Fabrice

Postby Fabrice » 04 May 2012

Thanks for the quick fix for the RecalcLastBarAfter. However, I need to pick a bone with you about what you stated above.

Sure we all know virtually no software is totally bug free. This is not what concerns us. I have grave concerns about your quality of software testing. This is not the first time a very important and critical component of MC stopped working after a new release. Any serious software development house must have a routine set of tests that are applied before the product is released, be it beta or final. Such tests need not be complex but in fact can be very simple in our situation. The last problem I've encountered, namely that RecalcLastBarAfter has stopped working is a major component. There is really no excuse for that one to fall between the cracks. It renders the whole package useless if one is reliant on such a key feature. I have built my own test study to make sure the key components of MC are working as expected, and continually adding to it. I shouldn't need to do this as the developers should be doing this. What's odd is this is fairly simple task to do.

Who knows what else is lurking in the new release than may be broken that was working fine before. Are we just to wait and see? I'm sure your developers have enough on their plate to code the new features into the product, and not waste their precious time on fixing issues like this that should have been picked up very easily.

If I sound too harsh, I don't mean to be. I'm just stating the facts as they stand, and as an experienced programmer with over 30 years under my belt. I've even been involved in the testing of new applications in a major clearing house who dealt with billions of dollars of transactions daily, so I know what can and does go wrong with new software.

I'm sure many other users agree with me. We all want MC to grow and grow to be the most popular ATS. So, please, do something about your quality testing. It's not rocket science, especially given it can be automated with a single script, something that's often not possible in other fields of business, such as e-commerce, web design and engineering disciplines.
I totally agree with Janus.
F.

To Dave: my words about the bugs in MC do not relate to beta versions - which may obviously contain bugs - but to the official releases. As I have stated before, I have been using MC for several years, so I believe my feedback have some value. I have always found many important bugs (in quote manager, in drawing tools, in power language, in chart trading more recently). In the 7.4 build 4953, I could give you many bugs, which are incredible, and let me think, as Janus, that you do not have at all any quality procedure in the process of releasing a new release. I spend my time trading, not to fill always endless documents about the bugs. My job is to trade, your job is to produce good software. When I read sometimes the bugs in Project Management, I am often surprised by some big bugs, showing clearly that something has been missed for releasing a high quality product. I do not speak about the core engine of MC, which is, I am sure, very good, especially quote manager. The global architecture of the different components is also well though I think. I do not talk about some serious problems, that usually are investigated and corrected quickly (and that demonstrate the high level of qualification or your team). I talk about some end-user features, that do not work as they should. Again, my job is trading; I have no time for reporting all the bugs that pave the MC road, so I live with them, and sometimes (as today) I give my feedback. As Janus said, we are surely not alone to have this feeling. And that should be said. Up to you to make it or not a concern. That said, it remains true that MC is continuously enhanced, have new features, and that is great, and appreciated by many, I am sure also. Best regards.

MC_Prog

Re: MULTICHARTS 8.0 BETA 3 - ASCII Mapping Broken

Postby MC_Prog » 04 May 2012

With MC 8 Beta 3, ASCII mapping seems to be critically broken.

Charts won't load - they either hang "Waiting for connection" or sometime start to load and just say "Backfilling ..." forever.

The same workspaces (using ASCII mapping) will load and operate fine in MC 7.4, but not in MC 8.0 Beta 3.

Starting with a fresh chart in a fresh workspace is no better.

I observe the same problem on two separate machines.
It's a complete show-stopper for analysis.

I've logged this in PM as MC-941.

Dave Masalov

and let me think, as Janus, that you do not have at all any quality procedure in the process of releasing a new release.
janus, Fabrice,

We are very disapointed to hear that. That is simply not true. Please do not post inacurate information.

There are five representatives in MultiCharts Customer support who process all bug reports and investigate the issues as well as five engineers in the QA department who are testing MultiCharts all day long and you are saying that our work is of no use for you.

Hundreds of issues are detected and fixed in every version. We can provide you with a PDF document exported from our bug tracker system if you like.

MultiCharts has 6 million lines of code. No complex software is bug-free. Starting from Windows, Mac OS and so on.

MC does have an acceptable number of issues even in release versions as every application does, but certainly less than its competitors.

Dave Masalov

Oh, and one other thing. As a result of another serious bug with 7.4, I was informed by support I should try out 8.0 beta 3 to see if it was fixed. It was. What is the best course of action? Go to 8.0 beta 3 for my real trading, wait for the final release of 8.0 as apparently it's very close, or submit an issue to fix the bug in 7.4? If 8.0 is being finalised as we speak then I prefer to wait. So, can you tell us how close it is?
janus,

Next version would be Release Candidate. MC 8.0 Release is expected to be released in a couple of weeks.

Tresor

Re: MULTICHARTS 8.0 BETA 3 - ASCII Mapping Broken

Postby Tresor » 04 May 2012

With MC 8 Beta 3, ASCII mapping seems to be critically broken.

Charts won't load - they either hang "Waiting for connection" or sometime start to load and just say "Backfilling ..." forever.
1. I can confirm the above regarding ASCII on my end.
2. Additionally, 60 minute charts (also ACSII) look different than 1 hour chart (candles have different OHLC; there is different bar count - candles have different numbers) - however I didin't investigate this indepthly - this would need to be verified by someone else before reporting in PM.

janus

and let me think, as Janus, that you do not have at all any quality procedure in the process of releasing a new release.
janus, Fabrice,

We are very disapointed to hear that. That is simply not true. Please do not post inacurate information.

There are five representatives in MultiCharts Customer support who process all bug reports and investigate the issues as well as five engineers in the QA department who are testing MultiCharts all day long and you are saying that our work is of no use for you.

Hundreds of issues are detected and fixed in every version. We can provide you with a PDF document exported from our bug tracker system if you like.

MultiCharts has 6 million lines of code. No complex software is bug-free. Starting from Windows, Mac OS and so on.

MC does have an acceptable number of issues even in release versions as every application does, but certainly less than its competitors.
You are missing the point. I understand all that. So, please explain which part of my post is inaccurate. What we are saying is basic but simple bugs shouldn't be creeping back in after a new release of the software, be it beta or final. There should be a series of tests that any software must pass before allowing users to download it. I'm talking about the very basics of the package, such as open and closing orders of all types, and in particular cancelling exit limit orders, which failed in 7.4 but works OK in 8.0. The RecalcLastBarAfter issue is another example where a basic component of MC should have been tested in 8.0. I don't know how far back the bug appeared; someone (NW27?) I think said it wasn't working in 8.0 beta 2. It's too late for me to test it as I upgraded to beta 3. In any case, the point is not that MC should be totally bug free. That's impossible. The point is basic bugs like those two examples should not be creeping back in, and the best way to avoid this is to have a sequence of simple tests that MC must pass before users can download it. This sequence of tests is not complex, and can be used over and over with ease each time a new build is made. As the old saying goes, an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure. It couldn't be any more relevant here.

bowlesj3

Postby bowlesj3 » 04 May 2012

I am glad the RecalcLastBarAfter has a hot fix and that I may not even have to use it. Even though I have gotten very good at rolling back (with 3 roll backs in total now since MC 3.0) I was not going to upgrade from MC 7.4 to MC 8.0 beta 3 until I got a feel for the fact that this command may still work. I did put my vote in (#5) for the RecalcLastBarAfter issue.
and the best way to avoid this is to have a sequence of simple tests that MC must pass before users can download it. This sequence of tests is not complex, and can be used over and over with ease each time a new build is made.
I think this is a great Idea. Why not Centralize the script (or scripts) in a thread to start. Others may have some good simple scripts to add. They need not give away strategies (not that anyone listens anyway since everyone typically prefers to do their own thing). Maybe a basic set of requirements should be in the upper portion of such a thread. This idea is a rough start and I am sure it could be polished. Okay so lets get real about this idea. I do not think that the MC-Team should tell us what ideas they are using that we submit for test scripts. All we should hope for is a thanks (hope for but not expect). However at the very least it will get the ideas flowing maybe a little bit more so than now. The intention is good as well. In the end I figure it will improve the product releases and that is all that really matters in the end. We will know if it is working by the features that never slip back.

janus

Postby janus » 05 May 2012

I am glad the RecalcLastBarAfter has a hot fix and that I may not even have to use it. Even though I have gotten very good at rolling back (with 3 roll backs in total now since MC 3.0) I was not going to upgrade from MC 7.4 to MC 8.0 beta 3 until I got a feel for the fact that this command may still work. I did put my vote in (#5) for the RecalcLastBarAfter issue.
It appears I'm the only person on this planet seriously using the RecalcLastBarAfter feature in MC. That's a worry in itself!
I think this is a great Idea. Why not Centralize the script (or scripts) in a thread to start. Others may have some good simple scripts to add.
Although that would be a good idea, we shouldn't need to do this. As another poster remarked, we are not "lab rats" who are given the task to check each new build that's made available to see if the very basic features of MC still work. Are we now expected to check that orders of all types work? The point I and another poster was making is this is not what beta testing is meant for. Any beta version must have at least the basic components that were working before still working, and only the new features that were added since the previous release are to be tested for any issues. At least that's the assumption I've been using. If that's not the case and we are to go back to square one and assume any component may have an issue, even the very basic ones that were working previously, then that should be made clear, and no one should advise users to try it out to see if it fixes a bug discovered in the latest full release (7.4 at this time) as was the case for me.

The result of all this is I've lost trading opportunities over the past week. I sincerely hope I can get things back on track soon. Given 8.0 is nearing the end of beta testing over the next couple of weeks, I will upgrade my production environment from 7.4 to 8.0 beta 3, apply the fix for RecalcLastBarAfter and see how my studies behave for a week, despite being against my better judgement. If I discover any new issue I will report it as usual and expect a fix to be rapid such that it can be incorporated into the final release. I can't afford to be without a fully working solution using even just the basics for too long. I don't really care about the fancy new features. I don't even intend to use them. I just want a solution that works in its most basic state. Is that too much to ask?

BTW, I've attached the test script I use to make sure some of the orders work as expected. It helped me to discover a couple of issues very quickly, one was to do with one of the TWS updates that broke MC, which is now fixed.
Attachments
date_time.txt
(210 Bytes) Downloaded 639 times
check_orders.txt
(14.76 KiB) Downloaded 694 times
Last edited by janus on 07 May 2012, edited 1 time in total.

bowlesj3

Postby bowlesj3 » 05 May 2012

It appears I'm the only person on this planet seriously using the RecalcLastBarAfter feature in MC.
Actually a vote count of 5 suggests otherwise and I did say I was not going to upgrade unless I could give high odds that this command was working based upon what I have been reading in this thread. I asked for a fake tick command within 2 months of purchase of MC2.1 and submitted the bug tracker request for multi-methods of executing a study (including bid ask change although someone else wanted this one). You are hardly alone on the use of this command. I have it in most of my scripts now (maybe 9 of them). For the trader who has a system that can not be 100% automated the command is even more important than for those who have a 100% automated system because human errors can cause slow downs and every bit of speed helps.

I mentioned I have rolled back 3 times (maybe I am the record holder). After the last time (MC 8.0 Beta 2) I have decided to not upgrade until Friday night or Saturday because I could have caught the problem before Monday trading. I get pretty hyper when trading gets interrupted in any way shape or form and I prefer not to be posting here when that happens.

I basically agree with the basic features working but I take it much farther than this. I am a firm believer that (with some exceptions that obviously can not be avoided) MC should act basically exactly the same for the user as it did on the previous release. When I say farther I mean new features should need to be turned on so users do not get unexpected surprises while trading which can cause missed trades. Causing traders to miss trades is a real good way to get them upset and it is going to be a very rare person who complains about having to go in an turn a new feature on (anyone who does complain really is getting greedy and should be ignored). Highlighting new features in the Wiki thread is one good way to make users aware of them in addition to bug tracker emails and the release list (they have been doing this which is excellent). Additionally, I am not sure if the MC team has time for this level of quality but ideally if features are not turned on memory use should be less and speed should be higher. For sure I would be running 1/2 of all MC can be doing and my current need to upgrade my machine would probably not exist. These days I at times need to shut MC down and bring it back up to free up memory so I can do a market print for research purposes or other reasons. Sometimes I must do these during the trading day and if MC ran smaller for a trader not using all components more trading time would be had. The thing is this memory increase situation is unlimited and the detection of a need for upgrade will likely come during the trading day. So this last point leads directly into the next paragraph.

Regarding the thread for sharing testing script ideas it could be that users share these ideas for new scripts and use them for their own purposes. The MC team could tap in for ideas but we need not know about this actually. So this thread is an excellent place to help users do a memory test over the weekend to decide if they need to upgrade their machine before they use the new release. Maybe it needs to be called "How to decide if you should roll back before Monday". With a title like that the RecalcLastBarAfter command can be very helpful in doing many of those tests before a live feed comes Monday morning.

janus

Actually a vote count of 5 suggests otherwise and I did say I was not going to upgrade unless I could give high odds that this command was working based upon what I have been reading in this thread.
OK, I'm not the only one. I got too carried away since I was the one that reported it first (as far as I know) and I was wondering why it wasn't reported sooner.
I basically agree with the basic features working but I take it much farther than this. I am a firm believer that (with some exceptions that obviously can not be avoided) MC should act basically exactly the same for the user as it did on the previous release.
Agree, and is not only expected but mandatory for a solution to become more widespread in the trading community who trade for a living and are not programmers like us. Pure traders do not need to be troubled with software that breaks at the basic level. We need the core components of MC to work regardless of what new features are added but not used. If this can't be achieved then perhaps we need two versions of MC; one with just the basics and the other with all the bells and whistles. Perhaps that's what the .NET release will achieve but that means using a totally different programming environment, which I may do eventually anyway to get away from certain limitations of the PL environment.
When I say farther I mean new features should need to be turned on so users do not get unexpected surprises while trading which can cause missed trades.
I think you meant to say "turned off". On paper I agree but not sure if MC is written in such a modular way that it can be achieved easily. If it can then that would be even better than my suggestion of having two different types of MC.
Regarding the thread for sharing testing script ideas it could be that users share these ideas for new scripts and use them for their own purposes. The MC team could tap in for ideas but we need not know about this actually. So this thread is an excellent place to help users do a memory test over the weekend to decide if they need to upgrade their machine before they use the new release. Maybe it needs to be called "How to decide if you should roll back before Monday". With a title like that the RecalcLastBarAfter command can be very helpful in doing many of those tests before a live feed comes Monday morning.
Still think it's back to front. The MC team should be doing such basic testing before letting users access the build. I'm sure most traders just want to trade, not forever testing and re-testing new releases of packages when they often don't even use the extra features. I can see why some users stay with an older release but that has its own issues, such as getting out of sync with updates from TWS and others. However, I will do my own testing for peace of mind, not necessarily to volunteer as a permanent tester for MC.

bowlesj3

I think you meant to say "turned off".
when they often don't even use the extra features.
It seems we are on the same page everywhere. I think we are on the same page regarding the combined quotes above. My belief again is that new features (all except the very simple ones that obviously need to be an exception) should be options and should default to off so that traders who upgrade do not get unexpected surprises (even if they did ask for the feature actually). 5 voted to agree with me as I gave this example. "The trader asked for a feature, did not have a chance to play around with it, upgraded, started trading, got prepared for a trade and clicked on the button accidently that brings up the feature. They have no idea what to do and get distracted and miss the trade". This is not a good thing for the trader nor for the MC-Team. Traders should be in control of when they choose to learn a feature. It is even worse if they did not ask for it. This is a true story actually (although I can not remember if I missed a trade). The feature is the chart trader. When it came out I use to adjust the scale of the chart with no regard to where I grabbed the chart on the right scale. At least once a week I got this chart trader screen up and had no idea what it was (complete surprise). The first 2 or 3 times it took me maybe 30 seconds or so to figure out how to get rid of it until I remembered. If it was an option and if it had have defaulted to off I would not have had that negative experience since the button would not even be there. I have mastered not hitting the button now and maybe do it once a month. My guess is I will stay at the once a month unwanted popup level. On the other side of the coin, those who requested chart trader would have been so happy to have it that the need to turn it on would be completely overlooked by them (who in their right mind would complain about the need to turn it on while in such a good mood). To add to this argument of having features turned off by default, there is at least one study that pretty much proves what most of us all know without having to even think about it (we know by instinct). Specifically we learn best when we are not under pressure. So regarding MC, unless the new feature is incredibly simple it is best initially learned away from trading hours until a basic knowledge and experience is in place. So in other words, upgrading Friday night is a wise move so one has time to learn new features in preparation for Monday. It also increases the chances of discovering a major problem and being able to roll back before Monday's start of trading.
Last edited by bowlesj3 on 05 May 2012, edited 10 times in total.

janus

Well said bowlesj3. I couldn't agree more. There is one problem though. Over the weekend, at least with IB, one can't perform tests with the simulation account to check out the new software prior to the markets opening on Monday. The simulation account relies on the real market. I know there's a demo account but that's deliberately restricted in a way that breaks MC, and I presume other systems in so many different ways. I think IB have done this to prevent their systems being overloaded with too many traders who want to practice with their favourite automatic trading system without having an account with them. So, I have to resort to using the simulation account during open hours, which means lost trading opportunities. Even if I bought I second MC licence I still can't overcome this unless I open up a second trading account with IB (at least I still think that's the case). What I tried to do a long time ago is to write my own simulation system by taking advantage of the ASCII mapping feature. I thought I could feed new data to an ASCII file and see MC update as if it was connected to the broker. It didn't work; MC did nothing as it didn't notice the file changed. Perhaps it does now, and perhaps the RecalcLastBarAfter feature will help so I will try it again. However, I noticed someone posted a comment that the ASCII mapping feature is broken. I can't win! It appears there's always an obstacle that prevents me from having a reliable and stable trading environment. Perhaps someone is sending me a sign :-) Fortunately though there is a way out. I tried out the playback feature. It works well.

bowlesj3

I downloaded MC 8.0 Beta 3.

The good news is the hot fix for the RecalcLastBarAfter worked (I did need to run it).

Thanks for putting the bars or percentage option in MC 8.0 beta 3 but unfortunately I still need to roll back to MC 7.4 because the correction to the number of bars before the chart is not the same. It does not work the way it use to work. The anchor is different. The anchor use to be that no matter what the spacing between the bars was on the chart the number of bars out front was always exactly the same. I guess the communication was not clear when I thought it was (a very common mistake with all people unfortunately but it happens and we don't cry over split milk, but rather pick it up and carry on without fuss and that ultimately makes it all good in the end much faster as a result too.). So here are the details that were missed on the first run at fixing this fully (with some examples including a JoshM project in the works that depends on this fix).

I have my bar spacing on the 1 minute bars set to 51 (on the 10 second bars it is set to 28 bars out front. On the other charts I also have a setting and it changes depending on the bar size from 3 to 5 bars). So with MC 7.4 this means that no matter how much I compress the bars there will be 51 bars out front. In other words the anchor which is used during bar spacing change is the very last bar of the 51 bars out front. Currently with MC 8.0 Beta 3 it has been done incorrectly in that the anchor is the very last bar showing on the chart rather than the 51st bar out front (Note: the 51st bar out front is a future bar and not the last bar on the chart). So here is what some of us are doing which makes this valuable (the old way). We calculate a future time to match X number of bars out front and we place text and lines out front. This is important!!!!!!!!!!! WE have to place this text and lines out front of the price bars because we have to have a clear view of this text and lines (they can not be where the price bars exist because there would be too much clutter). So here is the problem with MC 8.0 Beta 3. With the incorrect anchor when I expand the bars out to full expansion the text and lines vanish off the end of the chart because the anchor is not the last of the 51 future bars but the last of the actual price bars showing on the chart.

Let me try one more time to explain it. When I have 51 bars out front and I place a vertical line calculated to be at the 50th bar out front, no matter what bar spacing I have chosen that 51st bar should still be showing on the chart such that the vertical line at the 50th bar on the chart is also showing. This is how you can test it to see if you have it correct. I will get the code and put it in this post (real simple test code).

Code: Select all

NOTE: This code occurs only on the lastbaronchart command.

StopTime = MinutesToTime(TimeToMinutes(Time) + 7);
HookTime = MinutesToTime(TimeToMinutes(Time) + 10);
value1 = A_MoveTrendLine("HookSafetyEntry",HookSafetyLine_ID,Date,HookTime,WorstHookPrice,Date,HookTime,HookRecoveryPrice);
In the code above the two trend lines are vertical (same times on the anchors). Notice that the two vertical lines are out front of the last price bar on the chart. The stop loss line is 7 bars ahead of the last bar on the chart and the hook safety line is 10 bars ahead of the last bar on the chart. In the 10 second bars they are farther out at about the 25th and 27th bar of the chart. If the spacing is changed they vanish and I will simply not take the trade and that renders MC 100% useless to me (obviously). The ability to display stuff out front and not loose it is something I tested the first month while it was on trial and that is why I bought it. You have had a great feature here in all your release of MC and you certainly do not want to loose it.

Here is a good example and JoshM will need this (bars out front never disappearing feature) for the changes he is likely to make to his "Economic Events Collection for MultiCharts". The post is below and you can download his zip file to see a picture he created (the idea I gave him for it actually).
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=9951#p50018
In short, the economic lines appear once they are within that future bars time frame so the trader has a visual on how close the economic event is. I just put this feature into my 10 second bars (in addition to having it in my 1 minute bars since way back when I had MC 2.1). I have to roll back to MC 7.4 so I can test it on Monday. The vertical lines out front of the lastbaronchart are very useful and I am going to guess that most traders who download JoshM's revised scripts are likely to be wanting to use bars out front rather than percentage and they are not going to want them to be disappearing because the anchor is in the wrong location.

So in conclusion it is the anchor location that is the problem now. It makes no sense to have the anchor at the last price bar. The anchor should always be at the last future bar that the user has chosen. This is the "MaxBarsForward" bar. When the setting is "Bars" then the MaxBarsForward Bar must always be visible no matter what the bar spacing is. This is how you must test this change. To complete the test, pull up the prior release (MC 7.4) and the new release (MC 8.0) and make sure they act the same with the same symbol and out front bar settings settings.

I am back on MC 7.4 build 9453 now. It is very clear the anchor point for the change in spacing is the 51st bar out in the future rather than the last bar on the chart. So I am back to enjoying the great feature you have had in MC since its beginnings. No rush guys. I can live with this version of MC until you get this great feature back. However it would be nice in beta 4 before you release the official. I am betting that I am not the only one using this great feature and to release a version without it is probably not good. Again, thanks for putting the option in.
Last edited by bowlesj3 on 07 May 2012, edited 26 times in total.

bowlesj3

Well said bowlesj3. I couldn't agree more. There is one problem though. Over the weekend, at least with IB, one can't perform tests with the simulation account to check out the new software prior to the markets opening on Monday. The simulation account relies on the real market. I know there's a demo account but that's deliberately restricted in a way that breaks MC, and I presume other systems in so many different ways. I think IB have done this to prevent their systems being overloaded with too many traders who want to practice with their favourite automatic trading system without having an account with them. So, I have to resort to using the simulation account during open hours, which means lost trading opportunities. Even if I bought I second MC licence I still can't overcome this unless I open up a second trading account with IB (at least I still think that's the case). What I tried to do a long time ago is to write my own simulation system by taking advantage of the ASCII mapping feature. I thought I could feed new data to an ASCII file and see MC update as if it was connected to the broker. It didn't work; MC did nothing as it didn't notice the file changed. Perhaps it does now, and perhaps the RecalcLastBarAfter feature will help so I will try it again. However, I noticed someone posted a comment that the ASCII mapping feature is broken. I can't win! It appears there's always an obstacle that prevents me from having a reliable and stable trading environment. Perhaps someone is sending me a sign Fortunately though there is a way out. I tried out the playback feature. It works well.
I did a quick read. Upgrading on Friday has some advantages. For example, I just discovered the bar spacing fix for MC 8.0 Beta 3 does not work and I am back to MC 7.4 again. So some stuff can be tested on the weekend. Yes the playback helps for some testing (bit if a pain when only barstatus=2 comes through). Yes the RecalcLastBarAfter does help for some stuff. Actually one of the studies I am about to write will be designed for off hours using just that command alone (in other words the study is not to be run during trading hours at all). It will pick up info logged in a CSV file which has date and time and it will display an icon on the chart and when I click on the icon I can see text lines above or below price for the details (details on that specific trade). Having said all this I can cheat. In Canada (using IB's simulator) I am one time zone out from the Globex exchange and I can start testing at 6pm on Sunday night with a live feed (a bit slow but still it can make it a bit better).

janus

Let me try one more time to explain it. When I have 51 bars out front and I place a vertical line calculated to be at the 50th bar out front, no matter what bar spacing I have chosen that 51st bar should still be showing on the chart such that the vertical line at the 50th bar on the chart is also showing. This is how you can test it to see if you have it correct. I will get the code and put it in this post (real simple test code).
I do something similar but it reverse; I display things on the left side of the chart. Given I often change the horizontal scale of the chart I can't simply rely on the bar number. So I use getappinfo(aiLeftDispDateTime), getappinfo(aiHighestDispValue) and getappinfo(aiLowestDispValue) to work out where to place my text on the screen. The only catch is if you rescale the chart, the text moves with it but does revert back to the right position on the next tick update or recalc. I did suggest to them a long time ago they provide a better way to draw things anywhere on the chart that stay fixed but was ignored. Any way, I tend to display most of my information outside the MC windows via a Windows api in my own DLL so it's not such an issue any more.

janus

I did a quick read. Upgrading on Friday has some advantages. For example, I just discovered the bar spacing fix for MC 8.0 Beta 3 does not work and I am back to MC 7.4 again. So some stuff can be tested on the weekend.
That's true.
Yes the playback helps for some testing (bit if a pain when only barstatus=2 comes through).
Yes, I realised that too so I had to add a bit of code to get around that.

bowlesj3

I tend to display most of my information outside the MC windows via a Windows api in my own DLL so it's not such an issue any more.
I have to display my stuff on the portion out front. This is in fact why I bought MC in the first place. I missed a great band bounce trade with Qcharts a few months after I discovered this great strategy. It had 3 bounces perfectly lined up (basically a 100% odds trade). So I got the idea that I could put text out there to show me the positions of the bands but in a row and column format out front in a planning area (great visual). I started putting projections out there and my selected entry info etc. All this stuff must match the prices of the price bars so it has to be out front. Some of the lines extend back into the price bars. I also have my bracket order lines (which I control from the database program) out there. I can get a visual on the bracket setting before I commit to it and roll it back if I want (dotted lines are brackets ready to transmit and solid lines are brackets that have been transmitted). Having that area out front is a great planning and control area but it has to be lined up with price and I can not have stuff vanishing because I change the bar spacing (I change it constantly). Regarding vertical lines I have my stop loss distance out front with a red line and my vertical hook safety line out front. If this line was to vanish I would be taking zero trades since I do not like to loose on too many trades. Yes my code does check for overlap on these two vertical lines and block me from making errors here but I just have to see it (I do not trust computer code - LOL, what can I say, I am a programmer).
Last edited by bowlesj3 on 05 May 2012, edited 1 time in total.

janus

I have to display my stuff on the portion out front. This is in fact why I bought MC in the first place.
I see why you need to use the price and bar information to "extend" the plot into the future. I hope they fix this as I may have a need of such a feature in the near future (no pun intended).

bowlesj3

I hope they fix this as I may have a need of such a feature in the near future (no pun intended).
Interesting. I have a very good trading system (not that I am very good at executing it but I try and I am getting better slowly). I use to be secretive about it. Now I am very open about it fro two reasons. The second reason is I figure others will get ideas from it and copy to a certain extent. This in turn will create pressure on the MC-Team to maintain the great features they have in MC. So please, if you see anything of value in what I do feel free to use it and help keep these great features in MC. I was absolutely blown away when the get active features vanished. Having said this I think the MC team is great because they listen and they put the features back and they have made a good attempt at this (future bars) feature and I can wait. On the other side of the coin I have heard some not so good comments about the TS team. I would NEVER purchase TS for this reason in addition to the fact that it is missing at least 2 features I use that MC does have. I am so glad that someone sent an email to me telling me that MC has most of the features that TS has. I learned later that it has extra features that I now consider essential.
Last edited by bowlesj3 on 06 May 2012, edited 5 times in total.

sptrader

Postby sptrader » 05 May 2012

Well said bowlesj3. I couldn't agree more. There is one problem though. Over the weekend, at least with IB, one can't perform tests with the simulation account to check out the new software prior to the markets opening on Monday. The simulation account relies on the real market. I know there's a demo account but that's deliberately restricted in a way that breaks MC, and I presume other systems in so many different ways. I think IB have done this to prevent their systems being overloaded with too many traders who want to practice with their favourite automatic trading system without having an account with them. So, I have to resort to using the simulation account during open hours, which means lost trading opportunities. Even if I bought I second MC licence I still can't overcome this unless I open up a second trading account with IB (at least I still think that's the case). What I tried to do a long time ago is to write my own simulation system by taking advantage of the ASCII mapping feature. I thought I could feed new data to an ASCII file and see MC update as if it was connected to the broker. It didn't work; MC did nothing as it didn't notice the file changed. Perhaps it does now, and perhaps the RecalcLastBarAfter feature will help so I will try it again. However, I noticed someone posted a comment that the ASCII mapping feature is broken. I can't win! It appears there's always an obstacle that prevents me from having a reliable and stable trading environment. Perhaps someone is sending me a sign :-) Fortunately though there is a way out. I tried out the playback feature. It works well.
You can have a TWS real acct AND TWS Simulated account working on the same computer at the same time. I have tried it and it works, then you can have your real system running on one computer and your simulated testing system on another computer using your home network. I tried it and it works. Port 7496 for one TWS port, 7497 for the other.
No more lost trading opportunities.

bowlesj3

Interesting. I use the same port but there is a flag I turn off in the simulator so that MC gets the live feed. I will have to check and update this post tomorrow with the difference. I execute my orders from the database program and and I some times practice a risky trade on the simulator. A simple key sequence switches me back and forth. I do not use their API yet. I send keystrokes. I almost never touch TWS during the day. It is all controlled from my database.

janus

You can have a TWS real acct AND TWS Simulated account working on the same computer at the same time. I have tried it and it works, then you can have your real system running on one computer and your simulated testing system on another computer using your home network. I tried it and it works. Port 7496 for one TWS port, 7497 for the other.
No more lost trading opportunities.
I tried that a while and it didn't work. It was explained to me you can't have both the real and simulation account running at the same time, although it was possible to do so a long time ago. I just tried it again and it now does work. It appears they have removed that restriction, probably because of too much disagreement by their customers. Many thanks for the heads up.

janus

Postby janus » 06 May 2012

bowlesj3, guess what. I just upgraded my production PC to 8.0 beta3. I now have the exact same issue as you. I forgot I was plotting something in the future like you. Now one of my indicators is broken. I can work around this for now as it's not critical for my trading but it is still a wonder why it's changed in the first place.

escamillo

Postby escamillo » 06 May 2012

the Chart Shift feature is simply a nuisance to me. i horizontally re-size charts occasionally and the Chart Shift feature causes text to the right of bars to go out of view. please go back to having a fixed number of bars to the right in addition to having Chart Shift for those who like it.

janus

Postby janus » 06 May 2012

the Chart Shift feature is simply a nuisance to me. i horizontally re-size charts occasionally and the Chart Shift feature causes text to the right of bars to go out of view. please go back to having a fixed number of bars to the right in addition to having Chart Shift for those who like it.
I agree it's a nuisance. A far batter idea is implement what I suggested a long time ago,. They should offer a text writing feature that stays in the same position in the chart no matter what ones does to the vertical and horizontal scaling, similar to the built-in Status Lines. That way even a tick update doesn't cause the jerky motion of the text as is the case now. That's assuming you want the text to stay fixed without the need to update the properties of the text on each tick update or recalc. Sometimes, one wants the text to float with the price data, which is what we can do now with reasonable success.

bowlesj3

Postby bowlesj3 » 07 May 2012

Hi Guys, I figured there were others using the out front portion (probably a lot who are not on this forum much and I do not advise releasing until this is properly back to the way it use to be). Also JoshM has an interesting app right at the top of the user studies that will be using this soon (he is working on it now). So the use of this out front portion with the bars setting will be increasing soon and I would not be surprised if the ones who like the percentage will be switching back to the bars ones they see the advantages. The problem would have been fixed but I did not 100% understand the total problem when I complained about it in MC 8.0 Beta 2. They fixed 50% of it but have a bit more to do. The remainder is summarized in the quote below from my above post which has a bit more details.
So in conclusion it is the anchor location that is the problem now. It makes no sense to have the anchor at the last price bar. The anchor should always be at the last future bar that the user has chosen. This is the "MaxBarsForward" bar. When the setting is "Bars" then the MaxBarsForward Bar must always be visible no matter what the bar spacing is. This is how you must test this change. To complete the test, pull up the prior release (MC 7.4) and the new release (MC 8.0) and make sure they act the same with the same symbol and out front bar settings settings.
If the summary does not make sense you can read all of it at post #38 above (link below).
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=10324&p=50191#p50191

I can't help put in one more dig for this idea. If the MC-team adopts the policy that "all new release must by default act exactly as the prior release (after making the user setting adjustments) and they test with this idea then the above problem probably would never have occurred. I do not think it is that easy to do this because there are a lot of variations and I do not think it can all be done in a script run but I think there should be a list of some sort. MC Team testers will not be able to get down the whole list and there needs to be a time limit since such testing could go on forever. However if there is focus on the areas where the last changes might effect old features then this is probably the best way to short cut that list. If all major new features are put in as options that need to be switched on then it should be easier. In this case just switch off the option in the new release and test it against the old release to make sure it works the same. If the old release has options just do your best within the time limits. Using this procedure, anything that is missed will have to be picked up by us and reported (we will be thankful we get to try the new features and thankful you appreciate our help too since we don't want you testing for ever and never releasing new beta versions). Here is the other thing. If most new features are options and default to off, you will have us also testing that the old features are still working. Only those who want the new features will be testing the new features (as it should be since they know more about it and since those who are not interested will just create distraction noise for you).

arnie

Postby arnie » 07 May 2012

When will it be possible to have playback within the DOM?

Regards,
Fernando

Jesh

Postby Jesh » 07 May 2012

This is a feature that I would like added as well, I use it a lot in NT and find it a great hindrance not having it Multicharts. This also helps me see how a strategy is performing a lot better than what we have available in the current playback in Multicharts.

Dave Masalov

Postby Dave Masalov » 08 May 2012

I can confirm the above regarding ASCII on my end.
Tresor,

We failed to reproduce the issue on our end. Please come to our Live Chat this Thursday or Friday from 6:30 AM to 1 PM EST for investigation: http://messenger.providesupport.com/mes ... pport.html

Dave Masalov

I just discovered the bar spacing fix for MC 8.0 Beta 3 does not work and I am back to MC 7.4 again
John,

Could you be more precise? What bar spacing fix are you referring to?

Dave Masalov

please go back to having a fixed number of bars to the right in addition to having Chart Shift for those who like it.
Chart Shift can be set in the fixed number of bars. Just click on the % / Bars button two switch between the two modes. See attached screenshot.
Attachments
bar.PNG
(12.41 KiB) Downloaded 9835 times

bowlesj3

Postby bowlesj3 » 08 May 2012

Hi Dave,

The easiest way to see the problem is to bring up MC 7.4 release and MC 8.0 beta 3, running side by side on two different machines with the same 1 minute bar chart and symbol. However I will try and explain it here in a step by step fashion.

1/ first choose bars rather than percentage.
2a/ Next set your bars to lets say 30 (30 future bars ahead of the LastBarOnChart)
2b/ Specifically set your "X Time Scale Right Margin Bars" to 30.
3/ This setting means that the MaxBarsForward setting will be 30.
4a/ you have to press the End key to make sure the bars showing are the most current bars on the chart.
4b/ You can not see the problem unless you have pressed the "End" key.
5/ This means that if LastBarOnChart is currently 9:00 then the MaxBarsForward bar will be 9:30. (I am using a time that is very easy to see on the chart and it might be a good Idea to time your test for on the hour so it is easy to see the problem. A big setting like 30 is best. I use 28).

Okay in MC 7.4 (and all the way back to MC 2.1.999.999 when I first got MC) because the anchor point is 9:30 (which is the MaxBarsForward Bar) when you adjust the bar spacing you will always see the 9:30 time at the last visible bar on the chart (a future bar obviously since 9:30 has not arrived yet). As you widen the bar spacing the 9:00 bar (the LastBarOnChart Bar) will move to the left. As you narrow the bar spacing the 9:00 bar (the LastBarOnChart Bar) will move to the right. Again, all this time the 9:30 bar will be the very last bar on the far right of the chart (and will stay that way until the actual current time moves one minute forward of course).

Now with MC 8.0 beta 3 this is not the case. With MC 8.0 beta 3 the anchor point is the 9:00 bar (the lastbaronchart bar). So therefore when you widen the bar spacing the 9:30 bar will vanish off the chart screen to the right hand side. If you narrow the bars the 9:30 bar will squeeze up toward the middle of the screen.

Hopefully this explains it. In short, (when the End Key has been pressed) the anchor point is the bar that does not move on the chart when the bar spacing is adjusted. The anchor point should always be the MaxForwardBar (not the LastBarOnChart). Lastly the anchor bar should always be the bar which is the farthest bar on the right of the chart viewing area.

You can not release MC 8.0 like this or you will have a lot of complaints (could be very large).

John

escamillo

Postby escamillo » 08 May 2012

please go back to having a fixed number of bars to the right in addition to having Chart Shift for those who like it.
Chart Shift can be set in the fixed number of bars. Just click on the % / Bars button two switch between the two modes. See attached screenshot.
Thank you Dave for pointing that out (is that new?). I do not exactly recall how it was such that I liked it, but as a practical matter as it is now set to '%' or 'Bars', for text to the right, the results are the same - see the Screenshot below (I think a couple of versions ago, using 'Bars', the space to the right would remain a fixed number of bars and not change size as the horizontal size of the chart was changed.
Attachments
Chart Shift - Percent vs Bars.png
(81.09 KiB) Downloaded 9894 times
'Normal View'.png
(33.16 KiB) Downloaded 9807 times
Last edited by escamillo on 08 May 2012, edited 1 time in total.

bowlesj3

Here is a test script for this chart anchor point problem which I explain in post #57 above (I included the zip file which has the movetrendline function). I included the link to the movetrendline function below. In MC 7.4 I just tested it. The vertical line is always at the time of the MaxBarsForward no matter what the bar spacing is set to (in other words, as long as you have the chart in the "End Key" position, you can always see this line). You do this test on 1 minute bars. However the fix needs to apply to all bar sizes including seconds bars (I guess it would be tick charts too but I do not use them).

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=7748&hilit=movetrendline#p35026

Not that it matters but the two sets of code are the same except the 2nd one tests the previous time to reduce the number of move statements. The first code will put the line back immediately if you manually move it.

Variables:
IntraBarPersist MaxBarsForwardTime(0),
IntraBarPersist MaxBarsForwardLine_ID(0);

if CurrentBar = 1 then
Begin
MaxBarsForwardTime = MinutesToTime(TimeToMinutes(time) + MaxBarsForward);
MaxBarsForwardLine_ID = TL_New(Date,time,close -5,Date,time,close+5);
end;

If LastBarOnChart then
begin
value1 = A_MoveTrendLine("Test",MaxBarsForwardLine_ID,Date,MaxBarsForwardTime,close - 5,Date,MaxBarsForwardTime,close + 5);
end;

Variables:
IntraBarPersist PreviousTime(0),
IntraBarPersist MaxBarsForwardTime(0),
IntraBarPersist MaxBarsForwardLine_ID(0);

if CurrentBar = 1 then
Begin
MaxBarsForwardLine_ID = TL_New(Date,time,close -5,Date,time,close+5);
end;

If LastBarOnChart then
begin
if time <> PreviousTime then
begin
value1 = A_MoveTrendLine("Test",MaxBarsForwardLine_ID,Date,MaxBarsForwardTime,close - 5,Date,MaxBarsForwardTime,close + 5);
PreviousTime = time;
end;
end;
Attachments
MC_Studies_Test_MaxBarsBack_Line.zip
(2.62 KiB) Downloaded 422 times
Last edited by bowlesj3 on 09 May 2012, edited 5 times in total.

Dave Masalov

This is a feature that I would like added as well, I use it a lot in NT and find it a great hindrance not having it Multicharts. This also helps me see how a strategy is performing a lot better than what we have available in the current playback in Multicharts.
We cannot provide you with any ETA regarding this feature, but we are considering its implementation in the future.

bowlesj3

a feature that nobody wants
Actually it was a PM request. Maybe "only a few want it" is more correct.

I think the proper solution is this. Except for actual bug fixes and certain types of new features (like maybe first time inclusion of custom tool bars that can store users settings of tools) if new features are options that need to be turned-on and they default to turned-off then these benefits are to be had.

** Testing is easier in that you test the prior release against the new release with the option turned off.

** There is less risk of loosing features which are being used but which the MC staff do not realize just how much they are being used.

** Users are not going to be distracted during a live trading day if the default is off. This is most important for the users who do not want the new feature. This "right percentage margin" is a perfect example. Chart trader is another good example.

A good example of a new feature that needs to be an option would be any changes to snap mode. If my request is ever put in it could have a really big impact on users. They need time to learn it before it does anything. The default needs to be the current behavior even though a lot have complained about it.

janus

Postby janus » 08 May 2012

For those who use event handlers in their scripts, can you please confirm or deny whether you experience the same problem as I'm having using the following scenario, but using your own entry and exit handlers?

I have a multi-series chart with 3 plots, corresponding to data series 1 to 3. When datanum is set to 1 and the study loaded, the entry handler is called. When the study is unloaded or MC closed down the exit handler is called. This is all the expected and correct behaviour. However, when I set datanum to 2 or 3, and recompile it while the study is loaded the exit handler is called as expected, then the entry handler is called as expected, but then the exit handler and the exit handle are called again, which is not correct. A similar sequence of events happen if I have the study unloaded to begin with then load it. I have the same issue if I use statements like "close of data(n)" where n > 1 but when n = 1 it's fine.

[IntrabarOrderGeneration = True]
external: "C:\Users\jackc\my files\test.dll", double, "EntryHandler1", IEasyLanguageObject;
external: "C:\Users\jackc\my files\test.dll", double, "ExitHandler1", IEasyLanguageObject;

#Events
OnCreate = EntryHandler1;
OnDestroy = ExitHandler1;
#End

variables:
datanum(1);

if LastBarOnChart_s then print (barstatus(datanum));

DRCM

Postby DRCM » 09 May 2012

When I open MC 8b3 x64 it brings on the screen IB TWS Login window if I close this window my charts stay blank. Usualy my TWS is running before I open MC as I use it with other software as well. I remember I had this problem earlier with one of the MC versions. MC 7.4x32 doesn`t have this problem on the same machine.
Thanks

ABC

Postby ABC » 09 May 2012

Regards,
Fernando
And the ability to use the datafeed's level2 data and not only broker's data would be great, too.

h4nk

Postby h4nk » 10 May 2012

I created a script to detect internet or broker disconnection using getappinfo(aistrategyauto). The idea is that when the auto trading turns off, the script plays a sound to notify me. So, if the internet is disconnected, can the OEC broker profile stop reconnecting after 2 failed attempts? It does not make sense to keep reconnecting indefinitely. There has to be a limit to reconnecting so that eventually the OEC broker profile turns red, the auto trading turns off and my script plays a sound.

Right now, there is no way to limit the broker reconnection attempt. I don't understand why such an obvious and critical feature like limit to broker reconnection attempt is missing.

Please vote for this critical feature:

http://www.multicharts.com/pm/viewissue ... _no=MC-950

Thanks

Dave Masalov

Postby Dave Masalov » 10 May 2012

When I open MC 8b3 x64 it brings on the screen IB TWS Login window if I close this window my charts stay blank. Usualy my TWS is running before I open MC as I use it with other software as well. I remember I had this problem earlier with one of the MC versions. MC 7.4x32 doesn`t have this problem on the same machine.
Thanks
DRCM,

Please download and install Java from http://www.java.com.

Then change the path to Java in TWS icon properties in Start menu and on desktop to something like "C:\Program Files (x86)\Java\jre6\bin\javaw.exe" (see attached screenshot).
Attachments
Untitled.png
(17.38 KiB) Downloaded 9814 times

DRCM

Postby DRCM » 10 May 2012

Hello Dave

Sorry, don`t understand your answer. Java is installed in default location and always up-to-dated. I never change location when installing it. Actually, I`ve got both versions of Java installed x32 and x64 as required for Windows x64. Same with TWS. Default location. I had no problems with MC x64 previous betas, it appeared on beta 3 only. Is there anything permanently changed in this MC release?
Btw, settings in TWS icon properties are exactly the same as in your given example.

Thanks

DRCM

Postby DRCM » 10 May 2012

Hello Dave

Sorry, don`t understand your answer. Java is installed in default location and always up-to-dated. I never change location when installing it. Actually, I`ve got both versions of Java installed x32 and x64 as required for Windows x64. Same with TWS. Default location. I had no problems with MC x64 previous betas, it appeared on beta 3 only. Is there anything permanently changed in this MC release?
Btw, settings in TWS icon properties are exactly the same as in your given example.

Thanks
All sorted now. Looks like there was another update in the last couple weeks for Java ( current is Java 7 update 4 ). After I updated my PC that strange behaviour disappeared.

Thanks

arnie

Postby arnie » 13 May 2012

This has been discussed here in a previous beta version thread (can't remember which) but if I'm not mistaken it was generated by the right margin (chart shift option).

Anyway, my problem is not with the right margin since it fits my objectives, to plot my data panel, but with the left one or to be more precise with the bar increase and decrease spacing levels.
I have an example showing the magnitude of just 1 level of spacing. Please compare both charts.

Between them there's only 1 spacing level. This is screwing the chart since I have no need to be seeing all of those yesterdays bars and lines but most of all, it's compacting today's bars which are the ones I really interested on.

Is there a way to diminish the spacing level or better yet, an option to lock today's trading day so the first bar would never go outside the left hedge of the chart? Such an option could be on the right mouse menu since as soon as we would change the spacing between bars this option would be turned off and to be put on right away the right mouse menu would be a fastest way, although a keyboard shortcut would be also a good option.

Using the Background Dragging option it's possible to do what I've just explained, put the first bar of today's trading day right at the left edge of the chart, the problem is that this screws the right margin that I need for my data panel.
Attachments
left_margin_02.png
(53.93 KiB) Downloaded 11097 times
left_margin_01.png
(63.52 KiB) Downloaded 11129 times

bowlesj3

Postby bowlesj3 » 13 May 2012

Hi Arnie,

I have questions and ideas:

Your data panel. Are you generating that using the \n new line option then positioning the text box?

The gap:
I can tell this is the e-mini because I trade that and I remember Friday. I guess you do not use the overnight bars. I personally could not live without them. In my system the [at a glance] signal for that big run up came about 9:25ish and without those overnight bars it would be missed. I think the run started exactly at 9:32 if I remember. At first I could not figure out the gap but I finally figured it out. I guess it is outside my box and I was a bit slow to see outside that box. The TSX has no overnight trading. I avoid it for this reason. It is just an idea.

Regarding right margin and Text:
I realize the bars option for right margin is screwed up in 8,0 but why do you need percentage to show a text box. The text size stays the same regardless of bar spacing (I use a lot of them with the bar spacing option - not a problem - in fact I can set them perfectly using bars). I have 51 bars on the right for all my stuff (a lot). I am always squeezing the chart to see older stuff then setting it back (using key strokes sent out). I am always able to see my stuff in the margin (I have a lot of text boxes and lines). I just bought macro express which I use for other things but it could be used to do what I am doing but even better. It is a great program. I am sure you could program stuff to change settings to what ever you need at the moment (it can create pauses between key commands to make sure it does not overrun MC's ability to keep up). I just programmed something to move (not a box but lines) around the chart so I would get maximum screen width for bars yet the lines would position anywhere there was space so as not to get in the way of the bars. It automatically adjusts as I change the bar spacing. It can be done (not easy but doable).

Here is an idea for bar spacing and seeing the bars you want.
Have macro express keys that are designed for the time of the day. (one for every 1/2 hour of the day maybe). You will know how many bars there are at that time of day. You hit the proper key for that time of the day and instantly the chart is the size you want to show you exactly the bars you want (based upon the number of bars you have at that time of the day). Maybe use the number keys and put paper up there showing the time of the day in small print (no need to remember at first but you will memorize it). So make the sequence special such as (Shift+Ctrl+Alt+1) for 9:30 to 09:59 (Shift+Ctrl+Alt+2) for 10:00 to 10:29. I do not know MacroExpress well enough to know if you can automate this. I am sure MacroExpress can do anything you can do now but 30 times faster and perfectly every single time. The big advantage to this MacroExpress approach is the instant you have a new need you think of, you just program it yourself and get what you want in maybe 30/60 minutes (ready to roll). I am not sure but I think MacroExpress may be able to move your chart windows too and resize them. It is on my ToDo list to figure that out. I think SP trader may be doing this. He was the one who told me about MacroExpress.

a single MacroExpress macro to set your spacing properly all day:
You have got me really curious now and I need to learn Macro Express better myself since I could maybe use something like this. I am trying to figure out if MacroExpress could execute a single macro which can get the time and use that to change its execution to set the spacing about as good as you can get it to see all the bars you want. Here is what I have from the help so far.
Playback of Time in Macro

You can select one of the two alternatives for having the time played back in a macro. You can select to either have the time type out into an application or store the value in a variable.

Option #2: Place in Variable
This option allows you to place the time into a text variable. The variable can then be manipulated to the results you need. Assign the variable in the Variable Name field.
Yes, I think this most likely can be done because in the MacroExpress help there is an "If variable" option and it can test = <> > < >= etc. So if you can put the time into a variable (T1 from the looks of it from the help) then test it with this if statement then I think it could automatically adjust your chart using the existing MC key strokes. It even has a switch statement with the various case options so maybe this could be used to get at the time of day. You can get a 30 day trial and give it a shot. If you do that and it works, I would love to inspect your macro.

arnie

Postby arnie » 13 May 2012

Hi John.

I'm not a programmer, far from it actually. My main studies are all custom made I just then add and/or change some calculations. Naturally with so many changes I made I ended up learning some basic EL code, but all pretty basic stuff.
I've been thinking take a programmer course, now with the new .NET version I could learn C but then I start to think that my objective is to trade better, not program better. I need to focus on the trading, not on programming.

I've heard of MacroExpress and if I'm not mistaken I've already had it installed on my computer once. I'm certain that you can do wonders using such tools for creating macros but unfortunately for us, non programmers, we are dependent of software houses to offer the tools we need and "philanthropist" that share their knowledge with others through their free programming.

My data panel idea was retrieved from such a "philanthropist", in this case JoshM and his Economic Events studies. Brilliant the way he stack all data in one string, much better then I previously had it, one string for each variable and each separated by 1 tick.

I actually follow the overnight. That chart follow solely the initial balance of the day (first hour). I then have another chart with a similar data panel where I follow the entire 24h where I divide the 3 sessions, the 24h, the overnight and the RTH. I have all highs, lows, ranges for each session.

For volume I deal things a bit differently. I always know how volume is relatively to yesterday's. If today at 12.53h the ES have traded from the beginning of the session 132568 contracts I able to compare it to the same time yesterday and see in percentage terms if we are having more volume or not. I only do this for the initial balance and the entire RTH.
For volume I also use market profile but here I go outside MC for obvious reasons.

Having my main areas of interest I then rely solely on the DOM. Volume is key for me, that's why I'm eagerly waiting for volume profile to be added to the DOM because we can have a much better sense of the cumulative volume traded for each price.

I'm always searching for new tools to add to my studies, recently I added alerts, different alerts for each time of day, instrument... now I'm in the process of adding trendlines which shows where is my stop loss would be placed in case I would enter at that exact price. For example, if I was thinking enter in an area but my stop would be placed right on top of some swing high or low, which would be the worst place possible for me, I just sit tight and wait for a better clarification. I'm a visual guy, I need to see things in plain sight on the chart, otherwise I get lost with so many numbers.

bowlesj3

Postby bowlesj3 » 13 May 2012

Hi Arnie,
now with the new .NET version I could learn C but then I start to think that my objective is to trade better, not program better.
I had a C programmer estimate that I would have to dedicate 3 years to learn C and that is after all my other programming experience. I would also probably have no time for trading at all and I would not be willing to do that myself. I think that almost everyone would recommend learning FreeBasic or maybe PowerBasic instead. Something that supports GVs of course and I think these do. I have to check but I think the .net will have FreeBasic. It buys you a lot if you have the time to learn it. I know VBA which is similar and for me probably more practical.

MacroExpress is real simple in terms of programming (I am guessing learning freebasic is 1000 times harder). MacroExpress is all popup forms. No real coding. I just taught myself how to move a chart window. I did it by detaching it from MultiCharts so it was visible to MacroExpress. There may be a way to do it without detaching but it works with detaching. Once you do that you can size it and position it. I have 2 monitors and it works. I am not sure how many it can handle. I was thinking later (after responding) that it could be used to set the chart size itself to exactly the bars you want to see (maybe even with several macros for different bar spacings). As stated above, it could also use the time of day to adjust the macro I am sure. To learn what I wanted to do took me maybe 2 hours after I initially got it for trial. I wrote 3 macros. Each maybe took an hour. Now that I know how to detach windows and it works I am tempted to reprogram a lot of my stuff using MacroExpress. You can also probably call MacroExpress macros form VB (VBA can do it).

NW27

Postby NW27 » 13 May 2012

PS: to MC team: one day, we can hope that you will cease to consider your customers as lab rats for reporting such obvious bugs in official releases. And, once reported, we can even dream that you will address them... Do not misunderstand me: I like and have been using MC for several years, but you have to hear this because I think I am not alone to have this feeling.
Fabrice,

It is a standard process. If you decide to use Beta version of the software to benefit from new features you should be ready that it may have some issues. It is the case with every software. You can take Microsoft as an example.

As for the RecalcLastBarAfter issue, it occurs only if the signal was recompiled while being applied to a chart. If you creat a new chart and apply the signal, it should work fine.

Here are the links for the hot fixes of the RecalcLastBarAfter issue for MC 8.0 Beta 3:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/26968921/MC-9804_80b3x32.zip - 32 bit version

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/26968921/MC-9804_80b3x64.zip - 64 bit version

Just unzip the archive and run Updater.exe. When you see the 'DONE' message, click Close. MC, QuoteManager and PowerLanguage Editor should be closed while updating.
Hi Dave,
You posted this on the 4th of May. I'm just downloading the Beta3 now (14th May). Will things like the above fix be in the downloaded version or will I need to apply these extra patches to the main install?
Neil.

TJ

Postby TJ » 13 May 2012

Hi Arnie,
now with the new .NET version I could learn C but then I start to think that my objective is to trade better, not program better.
I had a C programmer estimate that I would have to dedicate 3 years to learn C and that is after all my other programming experience. I would also probably have no time for trading at all and I would not be willing to do that myself. I think that almost everyone would recommend learning FreeBasic or maybe PowerBasic instead. Something that supports GVs of course and I think these do. I have to check but I think the .net will have FreeBasic. It buys you a lot if you have the time to learn it. I know VBA which is similar and for me probably more practical.

MacroExpress is real simple in terms of programming (I am guessing learning freebasic is 1000 times harder). MacroExpress is all popup forms. No real coding. I just taught myself how to move a chart window. I did it by detaching it from MultiCharts so it was visible to MacroExpress. There may be a way to do it without detaching but it works with detaching. Once you do that you can size it and position it. I have 2 monitors and it works. I am not sure how many it can handle. I was thinking later (after responding) that it could be used to set the chart size itself to exactly the bars you want to see (maybe even with several macros for different bar spacings). As stated above, it could also use the time of day to adjust the macro I am sure. To learn what I wanted to do took me maybe 2 hours after I initially got it for trial. I wrote 3 macros. Each maybe took an hour. Now that I know how to detach windows and it works I am tempted to reprogram a lot of my stuff using MacroExpress. You can also probably call MacroExpress macros form VB (VBA can do it).
Probably VB.net is the easier route than C.

Dave Masalov

Postby Dave Masalov » 14 May 2012

Hi Dave,
You posted this on the 4th of May. I'm just downloading the Beta3 now (14th May). Will things like the above fix be in the downloaded version or will I need to apply these extra patches to the main install?
Neil.
Hello Neil,

Beta 3 build in the download section has not been changed. You will need to apply the hot fixes.

Dave Masalov

Postby Dave Masalov » 14 May 2012

Is there a way to diminish the spacing level or better yet, an option to lock today's trading day so the first bar would never go outside the left hedge of the chart? Such an option could be on the right mouse menu since as soon as we would change the spacing between bars this option would be turned off and to be put on right away the right mouse menu would be a fastest way, although a keyboard shortcut would be also a good option.
Fernando,

There is no such option at the moment. Your suggestion has been forwarded to the developers. Please add it to PM so other users can vote for it.

arnie

Postby arnie » 14 May 2012

There is no such option at the moment. Your suggestion has been forwarded to the developers. Please add it to PM so other users can vote for it.
Done!

Thanks.

SUPER

Postby SUPER » 15 May 2012

It seems like that exit does not work correctly under option "Limit this signal to one entry and one exit per bar". One can see from the attached image that the "LX2" profit target exit should not have taken place as conditions are not met. This signal works perfectly under other two options " Limit each order command in this signal to one entry and exit per bar" and "Allow unlimited entries and exits per bar". I hope I am not missing something quite obvious here.

[IntrabarOrderGeneration = true]

Vars: LPT1(0),
LPT2(0),
LPT3(0),
Mp(0);
Vars: intrabarpersist LongEntryPrice(0),
intrabarpersist OpenValue(0),
intrabarpersist PT1SetUp(false),
intrabarpersist PT2SetUp(false),
intrabarpersist PT3SetUp(false);

OpenValue = Open;
Mp= MarketPosition;
If Mp=0 then LongEntryPrice=0;

if Mp > 0 then begin
LongEntryPrice=EntryPrice;
LPT1 = LongEntryPrice + 2*(MinMove/PriceScale);
LPT2 = LongEntryPrice + 4*(MinMove/PriceScale);
LPT3 = LongEntryPrice + 6*(MinMove/PriceScale);
end;

if OpenValue > LPT1 then PT1SetUp=true else PT1SetUp=false;
if OpenValue > LPT2 then PT2SetUp=true else PT2SetUp=false;
if OpenValue > LPT3 then PT3SetUp=true else PT3SetUp=false;

if Mp>0 and barsSinceEntry >= 1 and PT1SetUp then sell("LX1") 1 contract next bar at Market;
if Mp>0 and barsSinceEntry >= 2 and PT2SetUp then sell("LX2") 1 Contract next bar at Market;
if Mp>0 and barsSinceEntry >= 3 and PT3SetUp then sell("LX3") 1 Contract next bar at Market;

Value1 = C[1];
Condition1 = C[1] < C[2];

If Mp<=0 and Condition1 then Buy ("B3") 3 contracts next bar at Value1 Limit;
Attachments
mc-B3.jpg
(399.88 KiB) Downloaded 9913 times

SUPER

Postby SUPER » 16 May 2012

Need further clarification on option

"Limit each order command in this signal to one entry and one exit per bar"

Is it acceptable to have multiple exit per bar under this option?
Attachments
mc-B3-2.jpg
(391.37 KiB) Downloaded 9847 times

Henry MultiСharts

Postby Henry MultiСharts » 17 May 2012

It seems like that exit does not work correctly under option "Limit this signal to one entry and one exit per bar". One can see from the attached image that the "LX2" profit target exit should not have taken place as conditions are not met. This signal works perfectly under other two options " Limit each order command in this signal to one entry and exit per bar" and "Allow unlimited entries and exits per bar". I hope I am not missing something quite obvious here.

[IntrabarOrderGeneration = true]

Vars: LPT1(0),
LPT2(0),
LPT3(0),
Mp(0);
Vars: intrabarpersist LongEntryPrice(0),
intrabarpersist OpenValue(0),
intrabarpersist PT1SetUp(false),
intrabarpersist PT2SetUp(false),
intrabarpersist PT3SetUp(false);

OpenValue = Open;
Mp= MarketPosition;
If Mp=0 then LongEntryPrice=0;

if Mp > 0 then begin
LongEntryPrice=EntryPrice;
LPT1 = LongEntryPrice + 2*(MinMove/PriceScale);
LPT2 = LongEntryPrice + 4*(MinMove/PriceScale);
LPT3 = LongEntryPrice + 6*(MinMove/PriceScale);
end;

if OpenValue > LPT1 then PT1SetUp=true else PT1SetUp=false;
if OpenValue > LPT2 then PT2SetUp=true else PT2SetUp=false;
if OpenValue > LPT3 then PT3SetUp=true else PT3SetUp=false;

if Mp>0 and barsSinceEntry >= 1 and PT1SetUp then sell("LX1") 1 contract next bar at Market;
if Mp>0 and barsSinceEntry >= 2 and PT2SetUp then sell("LX2") 1 Contract next bar at Market;
if Mp>0 and barsSinceEntry >= 3 and PT3SetUp then sell("LX3") 1 Contract next bar at Market;

Value1 = C[1];
Condition1 = C[1] < C[2];

If Mp<=0 and Condition1 then Buy ("B3") 3 contracts next bar at Value1 Limit;
Hello Super,

From the screenshot that is not possible to check if the conditions are met or not.
Please use the Print command to debug your code and check if the condition was met or not.
Or send me (support@multicharts.com) the following information for analysis:
-Workspace you are using
-Qmd export file for analysis. In Quote manager select the symbol you are using, make a right click->Export data->Export instrument.
-The study export file. In Power Language editor->File->Export->export with dependent functions the study you are backtesting.
-Screenshot demonstrating the hint window for the bar where order triggered. I need to know the date and time of the bar.

Henry MultiСharts

Postby Henry MultiСharts » 17 May 2012

Need further clarification on option

"Limit each order command in this signal to one entry and one exit per bar"

Is it acceptable to have multiple exit per bar under this option?
One order command can be placed on a bar just once. That means you can have only one "LX1" order on this bar, two "LX1" orders are not possible on this bar.
Two and more order commands ("LX1", "LX2", "LX3") on this bar are possible with this option.

arnie

Postby arnie » 17 May 2012

I'd like to have something that would allow to draw a perfect horizontal trend line.

Sometimes I spend ages to align a simple line so I don't have the result on the chart below.

I was thinking something in line of what Metastock has, which is quite simple and effective. We select the trend line tool, press the Ctrl key and while pressing it, we just draw our trend line. The Ctrl key is the trigger for the tool to draw a horizontal line. If I'm not mistaken Metastock also has a key for vertical lines but I can't remember which one.

I've just requested it in PM. I hope this request is attended since it's something I've been fighting with since day one. I remember back in version 4 when I started using MC, every time I pulled the trend line tool my first reaction was to hit the Ctrl key since it was a natural thing after working with Metastock for years.

https://www.multicharts.com/pm/viewissu ... _no=MC-960

Fabrice

Postby Fabrice » 18 May 2012

I'd like to have something that would allow to draw a perfect horizontal trend line.

Sometimes I spend ages to align a simple line so I don't have the result on the chart below.

I was thinking something in line of what Metastock has, which is quite simple and effective. We select the trend line tool, press the Ctrl key and while pressing it, we just draw our trend line. The Ctrl key is the trigger for the tool to draw a horizontal line. If I'm not mistaken Metastock also has a key for vertical lines but I can't remember which one.

I've just requested it in PM. I hope this request is attended since it's something I've been fighting with since day one. I remember back in version 4 when I started using MC, every time I pulled the trend line tool my first reaction was to hit the Ctrl key since it was a natural thing after working with Metastock for years.

I desperately expect also this feature. See

SUPER

Postby SUPER » 18 May 2012

Hello Super,

From the screenshot that is not possible to check if the conditions are met or not.
Please use the Print command to debug your code and check if the condition was met or not.
-Workspace you are using
-Qmd export file for analysis. In Quote manager select the symbol you are using, make a right click->Export data->Export instrument.
-The study export file. In Power Language editor->File->Export->export with dependent functions the study you are backtesting.
-Screenshot demonstrating the hint window for the bar where order triggered. I need to know the date and time of the bar.
Hi Henry,

Thanks for your response, I have e-mailed requested details to you. Look forward to your feedback.

Regards
Super

arnie

Postby arnie » 18 May 2012

Hi Fabrice.

I didn't noticed your request. They are the same.

Yes, this is indeed a very important tool to have. The vast majority of MC competitors offer such a tool.

arjfca

Postby arjfca » 18 May 2012

Did put my vote on that request
Martin

Henry MultiСharts

Postby Henry MultiСharts » 18 May 2012

Hello Super,

-Workspace you are using
Hi Henry,

Thanks for your response, I have e-mailed requested details to you. Look forward to your feedback.

Regards
Super
Hello Super,

I have analyzed your email. There is no issue.
You were referring to the wrong bar while checking the conditions. More details are in the email.

bowlesj3

Postby bowlesj3 » 18 May 2012

The horizontal line idea sounds a bit like this Qcharts feature which I requested which is pretty cool. It applies to all trend lines (including any combo of extensions). However you have to move it with the mouse after you press the extra button. I can't remember which button it is now. It might be the shift key.

Qchart like feature to snap trend lines to horizontal, vertical and 45 degrees
https://www.multicharts.com/pm/viewissu ... _no=MC-469

arjfca

Postby arjfca » 18 May 2012

The horizontal line idea sounds a bit like this Qcharts feature which I requested which is pretty cool. It applies to all trend lines (including any combo of extensions). However you have to move it with the mouse after you press the extra button. I can't remember which button it is now. It might be the shift key.

Did put my vote for it

Martin

Fabrice

Postby Fabrice » 19 May 2012

Did put my vote for it

Martin
Me too.
F.

bowlesj3

Postby bowlesj3 » 19 May 2012

Cool guys, now the Qcharts snapping trend line votes is from 2 up to 5. That is the problem with the bug tracker. The votes would be a lot different (more accurate) if the bug tracker had "My Votes" lists (filters) and also the MC team promoted their use. I am not sure who to submit these "bug tracker" ideas too for potentially getting the ideas in there. However I have detailed the ideas in the thread below (actually it is the exact post below).

VC1 #001 A special voting list with four filters to make voting a lot easier. (showing active grouped by component)
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=9252&hilit=votes#p43897

DRCM

Postby DRCM » 24 May 2012

Hello,

MC 8.3 beta doesn`t save order quantity on the chart trading panel (I mean right hand side panel on the chart where is buy/sell buttons and all order/exit strategies). If I enter 20K, save workspace, close MC, open again and it shows 1. Also it doesn`t save order type settings(Day,GTC,GTD,IOC). Was ok with MC 7.4 ( it didn`t save only minimized charts trading panel`s settings).

Thank you

arnie

Postby arnie » 24 May 2012

Maybe it's me, but I'm not being able to create shortcuts for these 2 tools.

None of the keys I choose works.

Ctrl + 1, Shift + 1, Shift + T, Alt + T, nothing works.

I believe that those 2 shortcuts are referring to those 2 crosslines, correct?

Attachments
keyboard.png
(28.14 KiB) Downloaded 10606 times

Henry MultiСharts

Postby Henry MultiСharts » 24 May 2012

Maybe it's me, but I'm not being able to create shortcuts for these 2 tools.
None of the keys I choose works.
Ctrl + 1, Shift + 1, Shift + T, Alt + T, nothing works.
I believe that those 2 shortcuts are referring to those 2 crosslines, correct?
Are you unable to assign a shortcut or to make the shortcut work?

These two shortcuts would work after you enable Show Cross.
First icon is for Show Cross. Second is for Tracking Time and Price.
Attachments
Toolbar.png
(1.81 KiB) Downloaded 9796 times
Last edited by Henry MultiСharts on 25 May 2012, edited 1 time in total.

Henry MultiСharts

Postby Henry MultiСharts » 24 May 2012

This feature will be added in one of the next versions after MultiCharts 8.0 Release.

sptrader

Postby sptrader » 24 May 2012

Henry: Do you have an expected date for MultiCharts 8.0 Release ?

Dave Masalov

Postby Dave Masalov » 25 May 2012

Hello,

MC 8.3 beta doesn`t save order quantity on the chart trading panel (I mean right hand side panel on the chart where is buy/sell buttons and all order/exit strategies). If I enter 20K, save workspace, close MC, open again and it shows 1. Also it doesn`t save order type settings(Day,GTC,GTD,IOC). Was ok with MC 7.4 ( it didn`t save only minimized charts trading panel`s settings).

Thank you
Hello DRCM,

The issue has been confirmed and added to our fix list. Thank you for reporting.

Henry MultiСharts

Postby Henry MultiСharts » 25 May 2012

Henry: Do you have an expected date for MultiCharts 8.0 Release ?
We expect it two weeks after the Release Candiate. It should be out mid June.

mneslon48

Postby mneslon48 » 28 May 2012

Generally speaking, I am thrilled with the 64-bit version 8.0 of multicharts. It is a *HUGE* improvement over TS, which I used for over 5 years, and will never use again.

I have been beta testing beta3 of the 64bit version (released May 1), and here are the bugs I have found so far:

-if you create a new study and then compile it in the PowerLanguage, it is not available in the list of studies in the chart window
-likewise, if you make edits to an existing study, the modified version is not available in the chart window *even* if you have removed the study from the chart
-you must shut down the editor and the charting window completely, and then restart everything, in order to fix this
-in TS, when you modify a study that is already in a chart, the chart automatically recalculates with the changed study
-this not working in Multicharts; you must go through, remove the study from the chart, make your edits to the study, recompile it, then go back to the chart and insert the study again.

-if you have a study on a chart that is centered around zero, and you try to add another study to the same subgraph also centered around zero, it does not work....the values are not aligned.
-you can reproduce this most easily by applying a "Custon1 line" with a value of 0 to a chart that already has a zero-based study. The two studies show 2 conflicting positions for "0"

-if you have set up a chart for backtest with a symbol, and for speed you have set the date range to be (for example) January - February 2005, save the changes to the workspace and exit. When
you come back and open that same workspace, the instructions have been lost and the chart once again covers from 2005 -> 2012. You must go through manually each time to set
the chart back to what it is you want.

Thanks.

Tresor

Postby Tresor » 28 May 2012

-if you have a study on a chart that is centered around zero, and you try to add another study to the same subgraph also centered around zero, it does not work....the values are not aligned.
This misalignment is not beta3 specific. This has always been so in MC, unfortunately.

Dave Masalov

Postby Dave Masalov » 29 May 2012

Hello mneslon48,

Let me address the issues you reported in order.
-if you create a new study and then compile it in the PowerLanguage, it is not available in the list of studies in the chart window
This can happen if you start MultiCharts and PowerLanguage Editor under different users (one as administrator and the other not). Or if you open 64 bit version of PowerLanguage Editor when working with 32 version of MultiCharts and vice versa.

If the issue cannot be explained by above, please come to our Live Chat Mon-Fri from 6:30 AM to 4 PM EST for investigation: http://messenger.providesupport.com/mes ... pport.html
-likewise, if you make edits to an existing study, the modified version is not available in the chart window *even* if you have removed the study from the chart
-you must shut down the editor and the charting window completely, and then restart everything, in order to fix this
-in TS, when you modify a study that is already in a chart, the chart automatically recalculates with the changed study
-this not working in Multicharts; you must go through, remove the study from the chart, make your edits to the study, recompile it, then go back to the chart and insert the study again.
This is certainly not expected behavior. It has not been reported before and cannot be reproduced in our test environment. Please come to our Live Chat for investigation.
-you can reproduce this most easily by applying a "Custon1 line" with a value of 0 to a chart that already has a zero-based study. The two studies show 2 conflicting positions for "0"

-if you have set up a chart for backtest with a symbol, and for speed you have set the date range to be (for example) January - February 2005, save the changes to the workspace and exit. When
you come back and open that same workspace, the instructions have been lost and the chart once again covers from 2005 -> 2012. You must go through manually each time to set
the chart back to what it is you want.
We are considering changing this behavior by adding additional scaling and data playback range options. Your requests have been forwarded to the developers.

mneslon48

Postby mneslon48 » 30 May 2012

Hi Dave,
You are absolutely right...I had admin privileges for running the Multicharts program, but not the editor. Changing it so I had admin privileges on both completely fixed not only the first problem, but all the others as well.

If it is the case that you should always run the Multicharts program and the editor with admin privileges, it would probably be good to alert users to that fact during install or when the programs are run (or maybe you already do this, and I missed it).

Thanks very much for your help.
You guys have a great product, and great support!

Dave Masalov

Postby Dave Masalov » 31 May 2012

Hello mneslon48,

Glad to hear that the problems have been solved and that you like our product and our service as well.
If it is the case that you should always run the Multicharts program and the editor with admin privileges, it would probably be good to alert users to that fact during install or when the programs are run (or maybe you already do this, and I missed it).
Your suggestion has been forwarded to the developers. We will concider it for implementation. However, you don't have to run MC and PLE as admin. If you run both not as admin that is fine. They just should be launched having the same user rights.

Return to “MultiCharts”