object-oriented version of PowerLanguage

Questions about MultiCharts and user contributed studies.
mneslon48

object-oriented version of PowerLanguage

Postby mneslon48 » 09 May 2012

I am a former TS customer who finally decided to make the switch when it became clear that the company was completely out of touch with its customers needs. After waiting many years for basic bug fixes and enhancements, the company instead came out with an object oriented version of Easy Language. It seemed that the company had spent all of its focus for the past few years building something that nobody really cared about.

I'm curious as to how others feel, but my message to Multicharts management is this: I want you to spend time enhancing and extending PowerLanguage, and not on some object-oriented hoohaa that nobody really wants.

Dave Masalov

Re: object-oriented version of PowerLanguage

Postby Dave Masalov » 09 May 2012

I am a former TS customer who finally decided to make the switch when it became clear that the company was completely out of touch with its customers needs. After waiting many years for basic bug fixes and enhancements, the company instead came out with an object oriented version of Easy Language. It seemed that the company had spent all of its focus for the past few years building something that nobody really cared about.

I'm curious as to how others feel, but my message to Multicharts management is this: I want you to spend time enhancing and extending PowerLanguage, and not on some object-oriented hoohaa that nobody really wants.
mneslon48,

Thank you for your feedback. It has been forwarded to the developers.

Different traders have different programming needs. We are going to release .NET version of MultiCharts soon. This way we will develop two languages at the same time: PowerLanguage and .NET.

mneslon48

Postby mneslon48 » 09 May 2012

Well, now building a .net version is an altogether different story. I have yet to see it, but if you can actually use a standard, *real* programming language (C/C++/C# etc) using Visual Studio to build studies, that would be a tremendous achievement.

And a much, much wiser move than trying to dress up an inherently inferior, pseudo-coding language like Easy Language.

TJ

Postby TJ » 09 May 2012

Well, now building a .net version is an altogether different story. I have yet to see it, but if you can actually use a standard, *real* programming language (C/C++/C# etc) using Visual Studio to build studies, that would be a tremendous achievement.

And a much, much wiser move than trying to dress up an inherently inferior, pseudo-coding language like Easy Language.
I welcome the .NET prowess in a charting and trading platform,
but I would not call EasyLanguage inferior.

They are different processes, catered to different users.
For the traders who are non-programmers, EasyLanguage gives them unprecedented self-help access to advanced analysis and trading automation.

Compared to EasyLanguage, most non-programmers will have to invest a lot more time and effort to be proficient in either Object Oriented Programming, or .NET programming.

mneslon48

Postby mneslon48 » 10 May 2012

Yes, I agree that Easy/PowerLanguage is a valuable tool for most users.

On the other hand, if you are a decent Easy/PowerLanguage programmer, it is not
that big a leap to C (a much bigger leap to C++). I think you'd be surprised to
see how similar it is to C, and if you find yourself pushing the limits with EL,
you would be well rewarded to take the plunge.

khalaad

Postby khalaad » 10 May 2012

My experience of the past week promises the rewards will far outweigh the effort.

Khalid

sptrader

Postby sptrader » 10 May 2012

The next logical question for non-programmers like myself is , what can be programmed in "C" that cannot be done in Easylanguage ?

TonyB

Postby TonyB » 11 May 2012

The next logical question for non-programmers like myself is , what can be programmed in "C" that cannot be done in Easylanguage ?
sptrader, I agree as I'm in the same boat, as a non-programmer... It would be quite helpful see / hear of examples where .NET will be able to accomplish things that EL or PL cannot.

Return to “MultiCharts”