Multicharts.NET - Multiple data series and time frames

Questions about MultiCharts and user contributed studies.
Fabrice

Multicharts.NET - Multiple data series and time frames

Postby Fabrice » 17 May 2012

Do you already know if MC.NET will be able to "create" multiple data series and time frame, both in indicators, and in market scanner ?
The thing is :
- for the indicators in charts: not to rely only on data0, data1 etc in indicators but be able to specify *within the code* the symbol/time frame to use (which is not on the chart)
- for market scanner : to be able to use data from a symbol that is not the one of the row, and with a different timeframe.

I have already used this programming feature on NT, eSignal and NeoTicker, and it really misses in MC IMO. This is one of my major expectations regarding MC.NET.

Thank you.

Henry MultiСharts

Re: Multicharts.NET - Multiple data series and time frames

Postby Henry MultiСharts » 17 May 2012

Hello Fabrice,

Such functionality is being considered. It will not be available in the first beta, but we will most likely add it in one of the next beta versions.

Fabrice

Postby Fabrice » 18 May 2012

Thank you for this great news !

Fabrice

Postby Fabrice » 19 May 2012

By the way, this "feature request" is not new :
http://www.multicharts.com/discussion/v ... f=1&t=9035

When I read in the forum that some people point to ADE and Global Variables, or Dynamic Arrays for using multiple symbols and/or multiple time frames, well, why not ? We can always reinvent the wheel... But do these people have noticed that we are not anymore in the 70s ? I have loved assembly language at those times, but today all decent language is object oriented and allow manipulation of complex structures (Perl, Ruby, Java, C#, C++) with a single function or parameter. Just try to handle and convert date and time with EasyLanguage once you have knowledge of powerful routines in Perl, Java or C#, and you discover that you have found a machine to come back 15 years in the history of programming language. I can recognize that traders are not coders, but with such tools, traders are not really helped... Reading using ADE, GV or Dynamic Arrays for multi symbols/MTF in chart or scanner makes me feel like being answered to use assembly language and LPT1: port for printing an Office 2012 document...

We need a decent oriented object language, like SC and NT have. I recognize, and appreciate the simplicity of EasyLanguage. But in 2012, I believe that TS Support, with their very high technical skills, have the ability to find a *clean* way to make EL evolves to a true OO language. May be that is exactly the purpose of MC.Net. Perhaps because one consider that EL is stuck forever in ancient times, but that is another story.

And above all, without losing the simplicity and reliability. High technical skills may be very well detrimental when not providing ease, stability, consistency and reliability to end users.

Regards.

janus

Postby janus » 19 May 2012

Hello Fabrice,

Such functionality is being considered. It will not be available in the first beta, but we will most likely add it in one of the next beta versions.
Please make it a high priority enhancement. It's very much needed.

janus

Postby janus » 20 May 2012

Note this also applies to the standard MC package. For example, I wanted to write my own rainbow moving average indicator. Once I realised how much effort was required to make it work with more than just a few averages, say 20+, I gave up. It just doesn't make sense I had to insert 20+ plots and use the data(n) method to compute the variety of moving averages, especially given I don't want to see the extra plots. I know i can hide them but that's not the point. The same issue applies to many other indicators, both common and proprietary. I can see why other packages provide a different approach. It's not just a nice thing to have, it's essential to access data series with different resolutions without the need to plot them first. Please make this feature work for both types of MC.

I've posted on PM a feature request:
http://www.multicharts.com/pm/viewissue ... _no=MC-968
Please vote for it if you like to have this enhancement.

Return to “MultiCharts”