Strategy: where do I see the order the system is working on?

Questions about MultiCharts and user contributed studies.
HeiBeh

Strategy: where do I see the order the system is working on?

Postby HeiBeh » 30 Jul 2012

I am running a couple of strategies on end of day data: where do I see what order the strategy is currently working ? I am not talking LIVE orders with a broker, I am talking order(s) the strategy is currently working on INTERNALLY. Those are of course the ones I would then place manually with a broker. Many moons ago, when I was still using TS, these orders could be found in a window named 'Active Orders'. Is there anything similar in MC ? I can't seem to find it ... Thank You !

sptrader

Re: Strategy: where do I see the order the system is working

Postby sptrader » 30 Jul 2012

Try "View" , " show order and position tracker window "..

HeiBeh

Postby HeiBeh » 30 Jul 2012

Try "View" , " show order and position tracker window "..
Nope ... I already though of that .. There is nothing in there !

Henry MultiСharts

Postby Henry MultiСharts » 31 Jul 2012

Hello HeiBeh,

Unfortunately there is no such functionality in MultiCharts at the moment.
You may want to submit a feature request to the Project Management of our web site so other users can vote for it: https://www.multicharts.com/pm/

furytrader

Postby furytrader » 31 Jul 2012

One thing I have learned in using Multicharts to trade systems in real time (not automated systems, but to generate signals), is that you have to write additional code to let you know what orders to work - i.e., put a line of text saying something like "Working to buy 100 shares @ 55.25" or something like that, so you know what you should be doing.

HeiBeh

Postby HeiBeh » 01 Aug 2012

Hello HeiBeh,

Unfortunately there is no such functionality in MultiCharts at the moment.
You may want to submit a feature request to the Project Management of our web site so other users can vote for it: https://www.multicharts.com/pm/
Well, that's rather disappointing - to say the least. I am now on Multicharts 8 and I still would have to resort to write some clunky code just to see what my system is considering at the moment ? Something that was already implemented in TS 2000 ? You've got to be kidding ! And by the way ... If you allow me the question: What purpose serves the "strategy position" tab in "show open order and position window" - if not for these kind of things ... ?

HeiBeh

One thing I have learned in using Multicharts to trade systems in real time (not automated systems, but to generate signals), is that you have to write additional code to let you know what orders to work - i.e., put a line of text saying something like "Working to buy 100 shares @ 55.25" or something like that, so you know what you should be doing.
Okay ... and what do you do then with that line of text ? Do a DefineDLLFunc and make a call to MessageBox or write something stupid like "If Date=LastCalcDate and PrintPos then FileAppend("C:\MyOrders.txt","MC is too stupid to tell me what my current order is !");" ... ? Or have you come up with something smarter ?

Anyway - thanks for your support !

furytrader

Postby furytrader » 01 Aug 2012

Actually, I just use the text commands in PowerLanguage to put a message on the actual chart screen. If you want me to show you an example, lemme know.

HeiBeh

Actually, I just use the text commands in PowerLanguage to put a message on the actual chart screen. If you want me to show you an example, lemme know.
I'd appreciate that - yes. Thanks !

furytrader

Postby furytrader » 02 Aug 2012

Okay, so what we do is add some code to your system to post a message to the screen regarding the system's status. As shown below, we create a string variable called MessageText and we assign it a value based on whatever the status of our system is (i.e., working an order, long, short, etc.). At the end of the program, we include some code to post the message in the lower right hand corner of the chart we're following.

Here's an abbreviated example:

Code: Select all

Variables:
MessageTextID(0), // This holds the ID for the MessageText
MessageText(""); // This stores the current message for the trader

If <conditions to buy market are true> Then MessageText = "Looking To Buy Market";
If <conditions to buy market are not true> and MarketPosition = 0 Then MessageText = "No Action Currently Warranted";
If MarketPosition = 1 Then MessageText = "Long Market From " + NumToStr(EntryPrice(0),2);

// The following line instantiates a text object if none has been created already
If Text_Exist(MessageTextID) = FALSE Then MessageTextID = Text_New(Date,Time,Close,MessageText);

// Now we update this message with every bar
value1 = Text_SetString(MessageTextID,MessageText);
value1 = Text_SetColor(MessageTextID,DarkBlue); // You can choose whatever color you want
value1 = Text_Float(MessageTextID,0,3); // This puts the message in lower righthand corner
Note that you can change the messages to say whatever you want. For example, you could change the message about entering the market to say something like:

"Working order to buy market at 125.25 LIMIT" or something else. It's up to you.

Let me know if you have any more questions. Good luck!

Henry MultiСharts

Postby Henry MultiСharts » 02 Aug 2012

What purpose serves the "strategy position" tab in "show open order and position window" - if not for these kind of things ... ?
Order and position tracker is for tracing the orders that were actually generated by the strategy while "automated order execution" was turned on or sent to the broker manually. It does not reflect your current backtesting orders.

HeiBeh

Postby HeiBeh » 02 Aug 2012

Okay, so what we do is add some code to your system to post a message to the screen regarding the system's status. As shown below, we create a string variable called MessageText and we assign it a value based on whatever the status of our system is (i.e., working an order, long, short, etc.). At the end of the program, we include some code to post the message in the lower right hand corner of the chart we're following.

Here's an abbreviated example:

Code: Select all

Variables:
MessageTextID(0), // This holds the ID for the MessageText
MessageText(""); // This stores the current message for the trader

If <conditions to buy market are true> Then MessageText = "Looking To Buy Market";
If <conditions to buy market are not true> and MarketPosition = 0 Then MessageText = "No Action Currently Warranted";
If MarketPosition = 1 Then MessageText = "Long Market From " + NumToStr(EntryPrice(0),2);

// The following line instantiates a text object if none has been created already
If Text_Exist(MessageTextID) = FALSE Then MessageTextID = Text_New(Date,Time,Close,MessageText);

// Now we update this message with every bar
value1 = Text_SetString(MessageTextID,MessageText);
value1 = Text_SetColor(MessageTextID,DarkBlue); // You can choose whatever color you want
value1 = Text_Float(MessageTextID,0,3); // This puts the message in lower righthand corner
Note that you can change the messages to say whatever you want. For example, you could change the message about entering the market to say something like:

"Working order to buy market at 125.25 LIMIT" or something else. It's up to you.

Let me know if you have any more questions. Good luck!
Brilliant !
I think I understand what's going on here .. If not, I'll come back ...
Thanks again for your help !

Return to “MultiCharts”