Data not loading on chart - error?

Questions about MultiCharts .NET and user contributed studies.
musernew

Data not loading on chart - error?

Postby musernew » 18 Aug 2012

Hi

I just installed demo version of Multichart (64bit).

I tried getting free data and using my IB account from TWS.

In both cases, it failed to draw charts. It simply says no data (see screenshot attached).

I've used the start-up wizard to simply add symbols etc again no success.

any ideas?
Attachments
multc.jpg
(37.09 KiB) Downloaded 2252 times

TJ

Re: Data not loading on chart - error?

Postby TJ » 18 Aug 2012

Hi

I just installed demo version of Multichart (64bit).

I tried getting free data and using my IB account from TWS.

In both cases, it failed to draw charts. It simply says no data (see screenshot attached).

I've used the start-up wizard to simply add symbols etc again no success.

any ideas?
You can find a couple of instructional video here:

https://www.multicharts.com/multicharts/help/videos/

musernew

Postby musernew » 19 Aug 2012

I have done exactly just that - this isn't rocket science and I'm not stupid - I've followed the procedures and still get this "no data" message - and the windows says etc downloading..

any other thoughts?

this doesn't work with free data sources either.

thanks

musernew

TJ - I'm doing exactly as per video instruction - F:GOOG or IB.. including adding symbols etc. I'm not a complete novice i got rightedge and used open quant before. yes - running as admin. if you can't suggest anything else then fine I'll move on. I was interested to see how this worked since it's .net based.

JoshM

Postby JoshM » 19 Aug 2012

I'm not a complete novice i got rightedge and used open quant before. yes - running as admin. if you can't suggest anything else then fine I'll move on.
Once there was a university professor who went to visit with a Zen master to discuss things of a Zen nature. While they talked, it became clear to the Zen master that the professor considered himself quite knowledgeable on the subject of Zen and Buddhism, going on and on about various related topics. The Zen master listened, and then offered tea. He went to fetch the tea pot and cups and set one before the professor.

The Zen master began pouring tea while the professor continued talking, but when the cup became full to the brim, the Zen master continued pouring. Tea spilled over the edge and all over the table!

"Stop, what are you doing?!" the professor spoke, interrupting himself. "Can't you see that the cup is full?"

"You are like this cup," the Zen master explained. "You are so full of information that nothing more gets in. You came here to discuss Zen, but how can I show you what is Zen if you do not first empty your up?"

Source
;)

Have you checked the Event Log from the QuoteManager? Data problems will show up there.

Also, your screenshot shows that you're charting a symbol with Nasdaq in it's description name but on exchange SMART. That might give a routing problem when retrieving the data.

You can check your IB connection settings against this wiki article.

Can you make a connection to IB in the Trade Bar?

musernew

Hey, I love poetry too..

just one thing - this isn't just about IB.

even using free sources.. my IB connection messages are fine in quotemess messages - it connects etc "ok, ok" etc then disconnects..

I thought I could just load this up and enter F:GOOG in the symbol box and it will pull up some free data. it' not even doing that. so what extra settings do i need to play with for FREE fata from yahoo? my free data plugin is active (all are).

any ideas?

JoshM

Postby JoshM » 19 Aug 2012

I thought I could just load this up and enter F:GOOG in the symbol box and it will pull up some free data. it' not even doing that. so what extra settings do i need to play with for FREE fata from yahoo? my free data plugin is active (all are).
Have you added the symbols to the QuoteManager?

After you've done that, you might want to customize some settings. Here's an article about how to do that.

musernew

yes - trust me I spent a good time on all the basic intros.

I'm getting to close of day - next time I have time to look at this is next weekend so any thought is welcome. No one else has had this problem?

4trading

Postby 4trading » 19 Aug 2012

I just added AAPL from SMART (IB) into the MC (trial version) .NET chart. No problems. Sorry I could help you further. I can't think of what might be wrong unless it's the IB - IP address input.

P.S. The charts take a while to load up.
Attachments
MC dot-NET AAPL005.png
(32.93 KiB) Downloaded 2256 times

musernew

it's not just an IB problem for me - the free data feeds don't work either e.g. F:GOOG

I'm on a 64bit windows using the 64bit version.

all IP/ports/api settings are correct..and running as admin.

4trading

Postby 4trading » 19 Aug 2012

Try chat with MC tomorrow. I haven't done before but there is some way to chat live with them. I'm sure they can fix you up. You could send them an email now about it for tomorrow.

Harry

Re: Data not loading on chart - custom future

Postby Harry » 21 Aug 2012

I use MC .NET 8.0 build 5533

I have created a custom future NQ #G on volume rollover. When I try to load the instrument NQ #G via "Format Instruments", I get an error message <NQ #G> not found. However, if I enter NQ #G into the little window in the lower task bar, the chart is loaded.

I have attached a screenshot showing a chart for NQ #G which I had previously loaded via the lower task bar. Impossible to access or load that same instrument through "Format Instrument".
Attachments
NQ #G not found.jpg
(625.19 KiB) Downloaded 2244 times

JoshM

Postby JoshM » 21 Aug 2012

I have attached a screenshot showing a chart for NQ #G which I had previously loaded via the lower task bar. Impossible to access or load that same instrument through "Format Instrument".
Have you tried it with unchecking the 'Merge data sources into a single chart' setting in the Format Instrument screen?

Since each Custom Future already consists of multiple individual future contracts, it might be that when you try to merge two Custom Futures together (what your settings currently imply), you get such an error.

If all goes well, it should look like this:

Attachments
scr.21-08-2012 19.17.25.png
(41.63 KiB) Downloaded 2433 times

Harry

Yes, I have tried with unchecking that case. It did not load either.

Henry MultiСharts

Postby Henry MultiСharts » 21 Aug 2012

Hey, I love poetry too..

just one thing - this isn't just about IB.

even using free sources.. my IB connection messages are fine in quotemess messages - it connects etc "ok, ok" etc then disconnects..

any ideas?
In Multicharts please go to File tab->Preferences->Data server mode
Make sure you are in online mode, "download missing historical data" is enabled

Henry MultiСharts

Postby Henry MultiСharts » 21 Aug 2012

I have created a custom future NQ #G on volume rollover. When I try to load the instrument NQ #G via "Format Instruments", I get an error message <NQ #G> not found. However, if I enter NQ #G into the little window in the lower task bar, the chart is loaded.

Custom Futures are in the Custom Futures tab of the Format Instruments window, not Futures tab.
Please use Custom Futures tab or All Instruments tab of the Format Instruments window.

Harry

Custom Futures are in the Custom Futures tab of the Format Instruments window, not Futures tab.
Please use Custom Futures tab or All Instruments tab of the Format Instruments window.
That was the problem, the "Futures" of the "Custom Futures" were hidden, so I searched for them under "Futures". Simple solution, thanks again.

Return to “MultiCharts .NET”