MULTICHARTS 8.0 RELEASE

Questions about MultiCharts and user contributed studies.
admin

MULTICHARTS 8.0 RELEASE

Postby admin » 19 Jun 2012

MultiCharts 8.0 presents ways to work with EasyLanguage that were never possible until now. All-new 64-bit version with multi-threading infrastructure lets you take advantage of modern powerful computers to their fullest extent – cutting down time spent on backtesting and optimization and expanding your possibilities in the amount of history, charts, scanners and portfolios you can work with. Your trading arsenal expands with new features designed to improve your efficiency and trading capability. Programmable Hot Keys, all-new CQG data and broker connectivity, access to DOM data from scripts, BetterRenko chart type and Expert Commentary for scripts are all at your fingertips. See below for a complete list of new exciting additions.

Make sure you ask our support if you have any questions.

Read more...

How to Migrate from MultiCharts 32 bit to MultiCharts 64 bit
https://www.multicharts.com/trading-sof ... rts_64_bit

DRCM

Re: MULTICHARTS 8.0 RELEASE

Postby DRCM » 20 Jun 2012

Hello, Problem still exist in MC 8 Official Release (x32 and x64).

Quote:

DRCM wrote:
Hello,

MC 8.3 beta doesn`t save order quantity on the chart trading panel (I mean right hand side panel on the chart where is buy/sell buttons and all order/exit strategies). If I enter 20K, save workspace, close MC, open again and it shows 1. Also it doesn`t save order type settings(Day,GTC,GTD,IOC). Was ok with MC 7.4 ( it didn`t save only minimized charts trading panel`s settings).

Thank you

Quote:

Hello DRCM,

The issue has been confirmed and added to our fix list. Thank you for reporting.

Hello,
This bug still exist in MC 8.0 RC.

Hello DRCM,

It is planned to be fixed in MC 8.0 Release.

DRCM

MC 8 x64
I get blank charts on all charts after update from release candidate. connection with IB TWS 925.6b.
It looks like connection is ok because I get quotes shown on trading panel, but charts stay blank.
Tryed to reinstall it, it helped only for the first time. After I closed and open MC again my charts don`t load. P.S It doesn`t give me to reload all data as it greyed out(inactive).
Looks like everything ok with MC x32.

Thanks

Update: After couple times of rebooting PC and MC it finally started loading my charts properly. Very strange, but at least it works now. Had same problem with some betas as well in the past.
Last edited by DRCM on 20 Jun 2012, edited 1 time in total.

Dave Masalov

Postby Dave Masalov » 20 Jun 2012

DRCM,

We failed to reproduce both issues on our end. Please come to our Live Chat Mon-Fri from 6:30 AM to 4 PM EST to demonstrate the issues: http://messenger.providesupport.com/mes ... pport.html

arnie

Postby arnie » 20 Jun 2012

The Lock Drawing option it's very useful but it seems that it's not working as it should.
Shouldn't this lock ALL drawings/objects from a study instead of locking only the selected drawing/object?

For example, I have a study which plots 14 trendlines on a chart. When I select Lock Drawing, only the selected trendline is locked whereas to my understanding, since all 14 drawings are being generated by the same study, all should be locked. What's the point locking one trendline and leaving the other 13 unlocked, ready to be moved by an erroneous mouse click?

If you draw a trendline, or an arrow using the Drawing Tools then the Lock Drawing option do the its job, but when applying to a study it should act differently.

Personally, I need to lock all 14 trendlines since they report price areas from the previous session extended into today's session. It's quite annoying sometimes, while selecting the bars, I end up selecting the trendlines and sometimes ending up moving them :(

ABC

Postby ABC » 20 Jun 2012

New version, old problem.

Code: Select all

------ Compiled with error(s): ------
Compile error
errLine 0, errColumn 0, errLineEnd 0, errColumnEnd 0
causal study: (Function)
It would be nice if you could post the files to fix the virtual allocation problem together with releasing a new MC version. I don't know why this happens with every new installation on the same computer, as I was told it shouldn't happen again once the updated is executed once. But apparently it happens.

Another things I just noticed: When plotting a 405 minute chart of the ES, only using floor session from the templates, the volume in the chart window and in the hint window always shows 2e+020 for the volume. An indicator plotting the volume seems correct, though.

Thank you,

ABC

Edit: Both problems occured with the 32 bit version.
Attachments
MCProb2.png
(4.87 KiB) Downloaded 16316 times
MCProb1.png
(135.78 KiB) Downloaded 16606 times
Last edited by ABC on 20 Jun 2012, edited 1 time in total.

DRCM

DRCM,

We failed to reproduce both issues on our end. Please come to our Live Chat Mon-Fri from 6:30 AM to 4 PM EST to demonstrate the issues: http://messenger.providesupport.com/mes ... pport.html
Hello,

One more thing to mention. After some research I found that MultiCharts saves trading panel settings only if I connected to IB paper account, but it doesn`t work with real account.

Fabrice

Postby Fabrice » 20 Jun 2012

To DRCM:
I have installed 8.0 x64 over 8.0 RC x64 and my charts were displayed ok at the first launch. I also use IB (TWS 926.6).
Regards.
Last edited by Fabrice on 21 Jun 2012, edited 2 times in total.

bowlesj3

Postby bowlesj3 » 20 Jun 2012

How is the right margin (bars out front) setting working now?
Thanks,
John

SP

Postby SP » 21 Jun 2012

Could you explain some details what the option
Preferences -> Appearance -> Improve visual appearance of drawing tools (no blurriness, but higher CPU usage) does?

Dave Masalov

Postby Dave Masalov » 21 Jun 2012

The Lock Drawing option it's very useful but it seems that it's not working as it should.
Shouldn't this lock ALL drawings/objects from a study instead of locking only the selected drawing/object?

For example, I have a study which plots 14 trendlines on a chart. When I select Lock Drawing, only the selected trendline is locked whereas to my understanding, since all 14 drawings are being generated by the same study, all should be locked. What's the point locking one trendline and leaving the other 13 unlocked, ready to be moved by an erroneous mouse click?

If you draw a trendline, or an arrow using the Drawing Tools then the Lock Drawing option do the its job, but when applying to a study it should act differently.

Personally, I need to lock all 14 trendlines since they report price areas from the previous session extended into today's session. It's quite annoying sometimes, while selecting the bars, I end up selecting the trendlines and sometimes ending up moving them :(
Fernando,

This is how it is implemented at the moment. Your suggestions have bee forwarded to the developers. You may want to submit a feature request to the Project Management section of our site so other users can vote for it: https://www.multicharts.com/pm/

Dave Masalov

Could you explain some details what the option
Preferences -> Appearance -> Improve visual appearance of drawing tools (no blurriness, but higher CPU usage) does?
SP,

This option improves visual appearance by doubling the memory buffer used for visual performance.

arnie

Postby arnie » 21 Jun 2012

This is how it is implemented at the moment. Your suggestions have bee forwarded to the developers. You may want to submit a feature request to the Project Management section of our site so other users can vote for it: https://www.multicharts.com/pm/
Done!

https://www.multicharts.com/pm/viewissu ... no=MC-1024

Dave Masalov

DRCM,

Hello,

One more thing to mention. After some research I found that MultiCharts saves trading panel settings only if I connected to IB paper account, but it doesn`t work with real account.
DRCM,

Please come to our Live Chat Mon-Fri from 6:30 AM to 4 PM EST to demonstrate the issues: http://messenger.providesupport.com/mes ... pport.html

Dave Masalov

It would be nice if you could post the files to fix the virtual allocation problem together with releasing a new MC version
ABC,

Here are the links for the updates fixing the compiler issue. The updates should be included in MultiCharts installer in one of the MC 8 minor upgrades.

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/27918922/MakeG ... er_163.zip - 32 bit

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/27918922/MakeG ... 63_x64.zip - 64 bit

Download the following zip archive onto your machine and unpack it. Run Updater.exe, click on Update, then make sure there are no errors in the log and click on Close.

Tresor

Postby Tresor » 21 Jun 2012

Dave,

Could this bug / feature https://www.multicharts.com/pm/viewissu ... _no=MC-298 once targeted for MC 7 be considered for one of the MC 8 minor ugrades?

janus

Postby janus » 21 Jun 2012

It would be nice if you could post the files to fix the virtual allocation problem together with releasing a new MC version
ABC,

Here are the links for the updates fixing the compiler issue. The updates should be included in MultiCharts installer in one of the MC 8 minor upgrades.

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/26968921/MakeG ... er_163.zip - 32 bit

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/26968921/MakeG ... 63_x64.zip - 64 bit
More information please. Should everyone install this fix?

JoshM

Postby JoshM » 22 Jun 2012

I've renamed the 'position.opened.wav' and 'position.closed.wav' in the "C:\Program Files (x86)\MultiCharts\sounds" directory since I wanted to use my own sound files (from the signals and TWS), but wanted to keep the sound alerts about connection lost (so turning off the sounds in Preferences isn't an option).

However, now I hear everytime the Windows "ding" sound file when the Position Opened or Position Closed sound file is supposed to be triggered, as an error alert that these files can't be found. Is there a Windows Register setting I can change to not hear "ding" when one of the MultiCharts sounds can't be found?

Related: is it possible to include more options for the MultiCharts sound files than just turn all on/turn all off? The TWS sound manager does this superb, with options to turn off a specific sound and to use a custom sound file:
screenshot.832.png
(25.33 KiB) Downloaded 12885 times
I'd love to see such options added to MultiCharts, perhaps even configurable for each Broker Profile independently. :)

ABC

Postby ABC » 22 Jun 2012

janus,

from what I know you only need to install this, if you suffer from the virtual allocation problem. This manifests itself in all studies, even empty ones, not compiling, but returning
the

------ Compiled with error(s): ------
Compile error
errLine 0, errColumn 0, errLineEnd 0, errColumnEnd 0
causal study: (Function)
error message. You can find some more information here.

Regards,

ABC
ABC,

Dave Masalov

Postby Dave Masalov » 22 Jun 2012

ABC,

janus,

You should not install this fix unless you have a compilation error described here:
https://www.multicharts.com/trading-sof ... lumnEnd_0)

This issue is machine-specific and occurs on a limited number of machines.

DRCM

Postby DRCM » 22 Jun 2012

Hello,

There is no information about "what`s new" in MC 8.0 5620(x32) and 5622(x64) compare with previous 5605/5607.

Thank you

DRCM

Postby DRCM » 23 Jun 2012

Hello, Problem still exist in MC 8 Official Release (x32 and x64).

Quote:

DRCM wrote:
Hello,

MC 8.3 beta doesn`t save order quantity on the chart trading panel (I mean right hand side panel on the chart where is buy/sell buttons and all order/exit strategies). If I enter 20K, save workspace, close MC, open again and it shows 1. Also it doesn`t save order type settings(Day,GTC,GTD,IOC). Was ok with MC 7.4 ( it didn`t save only minimized charts trading panel`s settings).

Thank you

Quote:

Hello DRCM,

The issue has been confirmed and added to our fix list. Thank you for reporting.

Hello,
This bug still exist in MC 8.0 RC.

Hello DRCM,

It is planned to be fixed in MC 8.0 Release.
DRCM,

Hello,

Hello,

Looks like my problem with trading panel settings sorted. At least it`s working ok for now. Problem dissapeared when I deleted my IB paper account profile and left ONLY real account profile (probably only one IB account profile can be created in MC to avoid all this mess). I found that there was some strange behaviour between those two profiles. E.g. If I had real account TWS open and connected with MC and tryed to switch to paper account using trading panel button, MC anyway was saying "connected" and paper account marked on trading panel, but in reality real account was connected. Probably this could cause some problems in settings saving I guess. However I still waiting an email from MultiCharts support, they downloaded my workspace for investigation and I hope this my post will help to find the real problem.
There are couple more things I`d like to check.
1)after all I still can`t get trading panel settings saved when I restart MC for those charts which are minimized. Is it how MC should work, is it normal?
2)every time when I open MC and my workspace (IB IdealPro, 14 forex symbols) I usually try to reload all data for each chart using Ctrl+R. But...every time data backfilling hangs on 7th or 8th chart and so on. It reloads ok only first 6 or 7 charts, for rest of them reloading takes forever( on the chart says "reloading..." and doesn`t dissapear). On both versions of MC8 same problem. I use latest TWS and MC8 official release 5605/5607, windows7x64 ultimate.

Thank you

Tresor

Postby Tresor » 23 Jun 2012

Do we know what causes this: a specific hard drive / a specific CPU / a specific mother board / a specific CPU cooler / a specific OS / a specific firewall? - just curious.

swz168

Postby swz168 » 24 Jun 2012

Additional to this problem mentionend in this MC8 Realease Candidate thread viewtopic.php?f=1&t=10447&p=51397#p51109

A new Problem in the realease (build 5622.401) problem: When I switch on my strategy (IOG off!! One hour chart!!), it starts immediately to send every second Email Alerts!

MC Team, I believe you know already this problem, since Henry asked me whether my Email Alert problem from the above link occurs when turn on Autotrading. That was not the case with the RC Version. But now it is the case with the Final Version!

Dear MC Team, we paid a lot for this product! When I bought Multicharts, I wouldn't have expected that I spend so much time for dealing with bugs! And so much time for remote sessions to show you how to reproduce some bugs I reported. I mean bugs which makes autotrading hard or even impossible! Not minor or cosmetic bugs!

I hope this changes soon! Focus on eliminating real bugs and not one new feature after another!

swz168

Postby swz168 » 24 Jun 2012

Integrated Update Function: I guess, in MC 8 Build 5622.400 (64Bit) the updater leads to an 32 Bit version, since there was no 64Bit suffix in the filename. I didn't check it whether it was really an 32 Bit version, I just downloaded 64Bit Build 5622.401 through the webpage.

Stan Bokov

Postby Stan Bokov » 25 Jun 2012

Integrated Update Function: I guess, in MC 8 Build 5622.400 (64Bit) the updater leads to an 32 Bit version, since there was no 64Bit suffix in the filename. I didn't check it whether it was really an 32 Bit version, I just downloaded 64Bit Build 5622.401 through the webpage.
You are right, we'll need to update the updater (forgive the pun :) ). We've only ever had the one 32 bit version, and now need to build a mechanism that recognizes which version is currently installed and offers the appropriate update.

Stan Bokov

Postby Stan Bokov » 25 Jun 2012

Hello,

There is no information about "what`s new" in MC 8.0 5620(x32) and 5622(x64) compare with previous 5605/5607.

Thank you
The What's New compares this major release to the old one (7.4).

5620 (5622) compared with 5605 (5607) has two minor bug fixes. If you didn't notice them, then you won't notice them now for sure :)

arnie

Postby arnie » 25 Jun 2012

I don't know if this is happening to you too but every time I open MC (I have a DOM and two charts using IB as feed) TWS login window pops us. Nothing wrong here. What I'm finding strange is the fact that instead of only one TWS login window I get two. Why is MC opening two TWS login windows?

Regards,
Fernando

Dave Masalov

Postby Dave Masalov » 26 Jun 2012

Do we know what causes this: a specific hard drive / a specific CPU / a specific mother board / a specific CPU cooler / a specific OS / a specific firewall? - just curious.
Tresor,

The issue is caused by certain combination of software installed on the machine before MultiCharts.

Dave Masalov

I don't know if this is happening to you too but every time I open MC (I have a DOM and two charts using IB as feed) TWS login window pops us. Nothing wrong here. What I'm finding strange is the fact that instead of only one TWS login window I get two. Why is MC opening two TWS login windows?

Regards,
Fernando
Hello Fernando,

Please come to our Live Chat Mon-Fri from 6:30 AM to 4 PM EST for investigation: http://messenger.providesupport.com/mes ... pport.html

arnie

Postby arnie » 26 Jun 2012

Hello Fernando,

Please come to our Live Chat Mon-Fri from 6:30 AM to 4 PM EST for investigation: http://messenger.providesupport.com/mes ... pport.html
Hi Dave.

I took the day off today so by the time I arrive home you'll probably be out for the day. Tomorrow I'll contact the live chat.

Regards,
Fernando

Dave Masalov

Hello DRCM,
1)after all I still can`t get trading panel settings saved when I restart MC for those charts which are minimized. Is it how MC should work, is it normal?
2)every time when I open MC and my workspace (IB IdealPro, 14 forex symbols) I usually try to reload all data for each chart using Ctrl+R. But...every time data backfilling hangs on 7th or 8th chart and so on. It reloads ok only first 6 or 7 charts, for rest of them reloading takes forever( on the chart says "reloading..." and doesn`t dissapear). On both versions of MC8 same problem. I use latest TWS and MC8 official release 5605/5607, windows7x64 ultimate.
Most likely you are facing pacing violation limitation of IB. Let me explain this in details. IB has some data request limitations. Firstly, it does not allow to ask for more than 2000 seconds in one request (if talking about tick or seconds charts) and secondly, it processes only 60 requests per 10 minutes. If you request a lot of data at once, then in QuoteManager –> Event Log you will see a "pacing violation" message . It means that the amount of the requests for data exceeds the limitation set by IB. When you get it, the best thing you can do is not to request more data in MultiCharts and not to change data range for existing charts for at least 10 minutes. After that you can start to request data again. All you can do to avoid this situation is to request less data. We do not recommend you to request more than 1 day of tick data at once from IB in order to avoid this problem in the future.

sptrader

Postby sptrader » 26 Jun 2012

I handle the "Pacing Violation" in TWS by simply shutting down TWS (Not MC) and immediately re-start TWS, then TWS will re-connect to MC and data collection will begin again..

Henry MultiСharts

Postby Henry MultiСharts » 26 Jun 2012

Additional to this problem mentionend in this MC8 Realease Candidate thread viewtopic.php?f=1&t=10447&p=51397#p51109

A new Problem in the realease (build 5622.401) problem: When I switch on my strategy (IOG off!! One hour chart!!), it starts immediately to send every second Email Alerts!

MC Team, I believe you know already this problem, since Henry asked me whether my Email Alert problem from the above link occurs when turn on Autotrading. That was not the case with the RC Version. But now it is the case with the Final Version!

Dear MC Team, we paid a lot for this product! When I bought Multicharts, I wouldn't have expected that I spend so much time for dealing with bugs! And so much time for remote sessions to show you how to reproduce some bugs I reported. I mean bugs which makes autotrading hard or even impossible! Not minor or cosmetic bugs!

I hope this changes soon! Focus on eliminating real bugs and not one new feature after another!
Hello Suwei,

The behavior you are describing has not been reproduced in our environment. Also none of our other clients has reported the same behaviour.

Last time we worked on this we agreed that you will try to create a sample script for reproducing the issue and we will analyze the situation. I have not heard anything back from you since that time (2 weeks+). If you are able to provide more sufficient information per my request-please do that via email or demonstrate it in the live chat. We will be glad to help you.

swz168

Postby swz168 » 26 Jun 2012

Hello Henry, currently I'm very busy with a lot of other stuffs. I think I will be able to come back to you next week for an online remote session.

swz168

Postby swz168 » 26 Jun 2012

Henry, just now I turned on the strategy, and there was no email alerts every second. I don't know what happened. I have not changed my code or any MC settings for several weeks due time limitations. The only thing I did is installed the final release of MC8 (build 5622.400 and one day later 5622.401) and observed the reported problems. Since I have turned of IOG in the code, these problems shouldn't have appeared.

(btw the email alerts was from signals, not indicators)

One question: I have read once that workspaces can get corrupted. Are older workspaces (eg. from MC7 Beta) 100% compatible with newer versions? When is it absolutely necessary or advised to create new workspaces?

DRCM

Postby DRCM » 26 Jun 2012

Hello,

I Couldn't get my charts working straight after IB Idealpro back online at 22:15 London time, it stayed frozen in same position as it stoped at 22:00. Tryed to reload all data(ctrl+r), tryed to disconnect broker profile, didn't help. When I restarted TWS and MC all charts started moving except one which had open order and only when I restarted my PC everything back to normal. I use latest MC 8 and TWS.

Tresor

Postby Tresor » 27 Jun 2012

The issue is caused by certain combination of software installed on the machine before MultiCharts.
What software is involved in this combination?

Henry MultiСharts

Postby Henry MultiСharts » 27 Jun 2012

One question: I have read once that workspaces can get corrupted. Are older workspaces (eg. from MC7 Beta) 100% compatible with newer versions?
Workspaces from the previous versions are compatible with MC 8.0 Release.
When is it absolutely necessary or advised to create new workspaces?
There are no specific recommendations for that.

janus

Postby janus » 28 Jun 2012

Hello,

I Couldn't get my charts working straight after IB Idealpro back online at 22:15 London time, it stayed frozen in same position as it stoped at 22:00. Tryed to reload all data(ctrl+r), tryed to disconnect broker profile, didn't help. When I restarted TWS and MC all charts started moving except one which had open order and only when I restarted my PC everything back to normal. I use latest MC 8 and TWS.
I had a similar experience with other instruments. I've seen this happen before with older MC versions as well. It happens very rarely and I can't recall whether I had to reboot. Next time it happens I will record more details.

DRCM

Postby DRCM » 02 Jul 2012

Hello,

Have anyone tryed IB TWS 927 (latest) with Official MC 8 ?

Thanks

Tresor

Postby Tresor » 02 Jul 2012

My version is: MultiCharts Version 8.0 Release (Build 5605).

The problem: row selector in OPT is not saved.

To recreate the issue one needs to activate ''Show Row Selector''. The row selector will appear. Then one needs to close MC. Then one needs to open MC. After opening the row selector column is not present.

DRCM

Postby DRCM » 02 Jul 2012

Hello,

Hello,

Just want to remind about my previous post because it keeps happening every time I leave MC 8 and TWS open during that time (between 22:00-22:15 London time).
One thing to mention that frozes not all of my charts but ~half of them. My workspace has 14 charts , all of them IB IdealPro symbols. However all those properly working charts ( not frozen) I have to reload anyway because it shows wrong candle for time 22:00 - 22:15 ( I use 15 min resolution ). It dissapears after reload.

Update: I just found one more thing. All those charts which are frozen started working from 22:30. As I use 15 min resolution on all of my charts, it means it skips one candle between 22:15 and 22:30.
Also I noticed that all frozen charts have vertical line which separates daily sessions on candle 22:00 (original candle time 17:00, btw, is it IB time for IdealPro?), properly working charts don`t have "session brake" line at all. Maybe here is something wrong with timestamps or etc.? My PC running London time, IB TWS shows London time as well.

2nd Update: sent logs to MultiCharts support with reference to this post straight from MC platform. Hope it works.

Thank you

Dave Masalov

Postby Dave Masalov » 03 Jul 2012

Hello,

Thanks
We have tested the connection with IB TWS 927.7 in our test environment.

DRCM

Postby DRCM » 03 Jul 2012

Hello,

When I`m adding IB IdealPro symbols by default session settings set to "use exchange and ECNs session" and it starts every day 17:30 and ending 17:00. Shouldn`t be start time from 17:15 in reality? http://www.interactivebrokers.com/en/tr ... _entity=uk

Thanks

Henry MultiСharts

Postby Henry MultiСharts » 03 Jul 2012

What software is involved in this combination?
It can be antivirus, tracing software, additional controls for Windows environment, any software that accesses the address space.

Henry MultiСharts

My version is: MultiCharts Version 8.0 Release (Build 5605).

The problem: row selector in OPT is not saved.

To recreate the issue one needs to activate ''Show Row Selector''. The row selector will appear. Then one needs to close MC. Then one needs to open MC. After opening the row selector column is not present.
This issue is confirmed. It will be fixed in one of the future versions of MultiCharts.

Henry MultiСharts

Hello,

When I`m adding IB IdealPro symbols by default session settings set to "use exchange and ECNs session" and it starts every day 17:30 and ending 17:00. Shouldn`t be start time from 17:15 in reality? http://www.interactivebrokers.com/en/tr ... _entity=uk

Thanks
DRCM, please make sure that all instruments are using the proper session settings (QuoteManager->Edit Symbol->Sessions tab). In case the sessions are incorrect-please set them up properly and restart MultiCharts. Let me know if the issue is still present.

JoshM

Postby JoshM » 03 Jul 2012

Last week I had four crashes with MC 8 Release (Build 5605) and this week so far I had one. MultiCharts 7.4 Release, that I had installed for over six months, only had a handful of crashes over that whole time span -- and now I even have less workspaces and symbols than with MC7.4.

Do other users also experience something similar or should I look at Windows causing this?

sptrader

Postby sptrader » 03 Jul 2012

I'm using the latest build Ver 8 (64 bit) build 5622, and have yet to have a single crash..using IB for broker and IQfeed for data..Win7 64bit, quad core and 8gig ram.

arnie

Postby arnie » 03 Jul 2012

Last week I had four crashes with MC 8 Release (Build 5605) and this week so far I had one. MultiCharts 7.4 Release, that I had installed for over six months, only had a handful of crashes over that whole time span -- and now I even have less workspaces and symbols than with MC7.4.

Do other users also experience something similar or should I look at Windows causing this?
I usually have 2 workspaces and 20+ charts opened, almost all have custom indicators and so far not once MC8 64 bit crashed. I'm using DOM for my orders.
During beta testing I was able to crash it a lot but so far things have been pretty smooth...

ABC

Postby ABC » 03 Jul 2012

I didn't upgrade to MC 8.0 5620, because I'll probably run into the virtual allocation problem again. Are there fix files already?
Can you confirm the volume problem I showed in post # 6 in this thread?

Regards,

ABC

DRCM

Postby DRCM » 03 Jul 2012

Hello,

I`ve got two charts on the screen, one of them uses IQFeeD data, the other one IB data. why the first chart always has to be connected to IB TWS as well as second one? If I switch connection on 1st chart it automaticaly disconnects the other chart. I use trading panel switch. Of course I don`t need connection to IB TWS on the 1st chart as it is just IQFeeD data, but I wanna trade from 2nd.

Thanks

JoshM

Postby JoshM » 03 Jul 2012

I'm using the latest build Ver 8 (64 bit) build 5622, and have yet to have a single crash..using IB for broker and IQfeed for data..Win7 64bit, quad core and 8gig ram.
I usually have 2 workspaces and 20+ charts opened, almost all have custom indicators and so far not once MC8 64 bit crashed. I'm using DOM for my orders.
During beta testing I was able to crash it a lot but so far things have been pretty smooth...
Thanks guys for letting me know. I'll need to look further then. :)

janus

Postby janus » 03 Jul 2012

Hello,

Thanks
I just upgraded TWS to 927.7 and performed numerous simulation trades using the latest MC 8.0. It looks like it's OK.

JoshM

Postby JoshM » 05 Jul 2012

I've renamed the 'position.opened.wav' and 'position.closed.wav' in the "C:\Program Files (x86)\MultiCharts\sounds" directory since I wanted to use my own sound files (from the signals and TWS), but wanted to keep the sound alerts about connection lost (so turning off the sounds in Preferences isn't an option).

However, now I hear everytime the Windows "ding" sound file when the Position Opened or Position Closed sound file is supposed to be triggered, as an error alert that these files can't be found. Is there a Windows Register setting I can change to not hear "ding" when one of the MultiCharts sounds can't be found?
This problem can be solved by replacing the MultiCharts sound file with an empty sound .wav file (with the same name). I've attached a 200ms wave sound file of silence generated with Audacity.

For example, if you want to turn of the sound alert for 'Position opened', replace the position.opened.wav in the C:\Program Files (x86)\MultiCharts\sounds directory with the silence sound file (that you'll need to rename to 'position.opened.wav'). This way the sound is turned off and the annoying "ding" isn't played.
is it possible to include more options for the MultiCharts sound files than just turn all on/turn all off? The TWS sound manager does this superb, with options to turn off a specific sound and to use a custom sound file.
This is turned into a more complete feature request, please vote for it if you find it useful:
I've also added feature requests to make the PowerLanguage Editor more user friendly: Thanks. :)
Attachments
silenceSoundFile.zip
(3.18 KiB) Downloaded 592 times

Henry MultiСharts

Postby Henry MultiСharts » 06 Jul 2012

Hello Josh,
Once you have a crash please click on the Terminate button and send us the logs along with the problem description for analysis.

You can also come to our live chat Monday-Friday 6:30 am - 4 pm EST. The operator will be able to collect all information we need for analysis. We will do our best to help you.

h4nk

Postby h4nk » 06 Jul 2012

I found out that crosses above and crosses below keywords do not work the way are supposed to. Here's an example:

if avgema[1] crosses above 0 then
buy 1 contract next bar at market;

The above code only buys if the values of avgema are, for example: -0.2, -0.1, 0.1

The above code does not buy if the values of avgema are: -0.2, -0.1, 0.0, 0.1

According to the documentation, crosses above will work for both scenarios. However, I found out that it does not work for the second scenario, with 0.0 in between negative and positive values. I think this is a critical bug! I already contacted MC support and they have decided not to fix it since TS behaves the same way.

This is wrong. I need this feature to work as expected. Just because TS does not want to fix it, it does not mean MultiCharts should follow TS. I want and need MultiCharts to be as bug free as humanly possible, unlike TS. That's why I bought MultiCharts in the first place, to avoid TS shortcomings.

Please fix this bug. I am sure many MC users want this bug fixed. MC users please vote for this:

http://www.multicharts.com/pm/viewissue ... no=MC-1047

TJ

Postby TJ » 06 Jul 2012

I found out that crosses above and crosses below keywords do not work the way are supposed to. Here's an example:

The above code only buys if the values of avgema are, for example: -0.2, -0.1, 0.1

According to the documentation, crosses above will work for both scenarios. However, I found out that it does not work for the second scenario, with 0.0 in between negative and positive values. I think this is a critical bug! I already contacted MC support and they have decided not to fix it since TS behaves the same way.

This is wrong. I need this feature to work as expected. Just because TS does not want to fix it, it does not mean MultiCharts should follow TS. I want and need MultiCharts to be as bug free as humanly possible, unlike TS. That's why I bought MultiCharts in the first place, to avoid TS shortcomings.

Please fix this bug. I am sure many MC users want this bug fixed. MC users please vote for this:

don't understand what you mean:

Strategies are evaluated at the end of the bar (EOB).
Cross above/below are intrabar conditions. It is not meant to be used with [1].

You would better off writing your code as:

if avgema[1] > 0 and avgema[2] <= 0 then

JoshM

Postby JoshM » 06 Jul 2012

Once you have a crash please click on the Terminate button and send us the logs along with the problem description for analysis.
Thanks Henry, but I always already do that with the error message that asks for a description and the send to FTP option. Should I also send them to the email or is this sufficient?

Henry MultiСharts

I didn't upgrade to MC 8.0 5620, because I'll probably run into the virtual allocation problem again. Are there fix files already?
You can use the updaters provided in this post. They will work for MC 8.0 Release too.
Can you confirm the volume problem I showed in post # 6 in this thread?
Regards,
ABC
Our engineers are analyzing this behavior.

Henry MultiСharts

Thanks Henry, but I always already do that with the error message that asks for a description and the send to FTP option. Should I also send them to the email or is this sufficient?
In case you want to have detailed analysis results on the crash-you need to send the download link for the logs + description to support@multicharts.com
In other case-it will be addressed in the next version of MultiCharts.

Henry MultiСharts

Hello,

I`ve got two charts on the screen, one of them uses IQFeeD data, the other one IB data. why the first chart always has to be connected to IB TWS as well as second one? If I switch connection on 1st chart it automaticaly disconnects the other chart. I use trading panel switch. Of course I don`t need connection to IB TWS on the 1st chart as it is just IQFeeD data, but I wanna trade from 2nd.

Thanks
When is IB broker profile selected automatically on IQFeed chart ?
Are you creating a new chart or copy/pasting IB chart ?
Is IB broker profile the only broker profile in your MultiCharts ?

DRCM

Postby DRCM » 06 Jul 2012

Hello,

Thanks
When is IB broker profile selected automatically on IQFeed chart ?
Are you creating a new chart or copy/pasting IB chart ?
Is IB broker profile the only broker profile in your MultiCharts ?
Hello,
2nd question: I always create a new chart from file->new->chart window. I don`t copy or paste anything.
3rd question: Yes, I use only IB broker and it is only profile created in MC.
I`m not quite understand your first question, but what I`ve done is : I used only IB broker and data for all my charts all the time and then created one chart which is connected to IQFeeD real data. Of course, I don`t need this chart to be connected to IB TWS(just for price comparison with IB data) and if I try to disconnect it using button in trading panel on this particular chart it disconnects all my IB charts as well.

Thank you

h4nk

Postby h4nk » 06 Jul 2012

Hi TJ,

Let me explain, "-0.2, -0.1, 0.1" and "-0.2, -0.1, 0.0, 0.1" are series of avgema value bar after bar. For the first scenario, the value of avgema starts with -0.2 for the current bar, the next bar after that it becomes -0.1, the next bar after that it becomes 0.1. Let's change avgema to a component of MACD indicator, MACDAvg for example.

When MACDAvg crosses above the 0 line at the end of current bar, my code will buy 1 contract at the open of the new bar. In my case, I do not want MC to buy right after MACDAvg crosses above the 0 line. I want MC to buy after the current bar closes and the value of MACDAvg has been set above 0 for the closing bar.

The following wiki explains how cross above/below works:

http://www.multicharts.com/trading-soft ... .php/Cross
The plot of A is defined as having crossed Above or Over the plot of B if the value of A is greater than the value of B and one of the following is true:

The value of A was less than the value of B on the bar immediately preceding the current bar,

or

The values of A and B were equal for a consecutive sequence of one or more bars immediately preceding the current bar and the value of A was less than the value of B on the bar immediately preceding this sequence of bars.
So, cross above/below is meant to work with both intrabar and multiple bars. It will work with [1], [2], [3], etc. I hope you understand what I am trying to do. It is clear that this is a critical MC bug and must be fixed.

TJ

Postby TJ » 06 Jul 2012

Hi TJ,

Let me explain, "-0.2, -0.1, 0.1" and "-0.2, -0.1, 0.0, 0.1" are series of avgema value bar after bar. For the first scenario, the value of avgema starts with -0.2 for the current bar, the next bar after that it becomes -0.1, the next bar after that it becomes 0.1. Let's change avgema to a component of MACD indicator, MACDAvg for example.

When MACDAvg crosses above the 0 line at the end of current bar, my code will buy 1 contract at the open of the new bar. In my case, I do not want MC to buy right after MACDAvg crosses above the 0 line. I want MC to buy after the current bar closes and the value of MACDAvg has been set above 0 for the closing bar.

The following wiki explains how cross above/below works:

http://www.multicharts.com/trading-soft ... .php/Cross
The plot of A is defined as having crossed Above or Over the plot of B if the value of A is greater than the value of B and one of the following is true:

The value of A was less than the value of B on the bar immediately preceding the current bar,

or

The values of A and B were equal for a consecutive sequence of one or more bars immediately preceding the current bar and the value of A was less than the value of B on the bar immediately preceding this sequence of bars.
So, cross above/below is meant to work with both intrabar and multiple bars. It will work with [1], [2], [3], etc. I hope you understand what I am trying to do. It is clear that this is a critical MC bug and must be fixed.
I understand what you are trying to do.

SUPER

Postby SUPER » 08 Jul 2012

don't understand what you mean:

Strategies are evaluated at the end of the bar (EOB).
Cross above/below are intrabar conditions. It is not meant to be used with [1].

You would better off writing your code as:

if avgema[1] > 0 and avgema[2] <= 0 then
h4nk, thanks for bringing this to notice and hope MC team corrects it in near future.

TJ, thanks for showing workable solution.

TJ

Postby TJ » 08 Jul 2012

h4nk, thanks for bringing this to notice and hope MC team corrects it in near future.

Don't be mistaken, my code is not a workaround. It is the proper way of coding this logic.

TIKITRADER

Postby TIKITRADER » 08 Jul 2012

Minor issue, the countdown clock is missing.
Attachments
countdown clock.png
(11.81 KiB) Downloaded 12770 times

SUPER

Postby SUPER » 09 Jul 2012

It seems to be working at my end, make sure you are using time based chart othewise it will not work.

SUPER

Postby SUPER » 09 Jul 2012

Don't be mistaken, my code is not a workaround. It is the proper way of coding this logic.
TJ, my apologies first. I did not fully understand h4nk's request and thought that cross over did not work when the value was equal to "= 0" in this case, which is not the case. Cross over and under are working well(as expected) in a strategy.

Henry MultiСharts

Postby Henry MultiСharts » 09 Jul 2012

Another things I just noticed: When plotting a 405 minute chart of the ES, only using floor session from the templates, the volume in the chart window and in the hint window always shows 2e+020 for the volume. An indicator plotting the volume seems correct, though.
This issue is confirmed. It will be fixed in MultiCharts 8.1 Beta 1

Henry MultiСharts

Postby Henry MultiСharts » 09 Jul 2012

TIKITRADER, what is the chart resolution? If it is a time based chart and countdown appears late-you need to synchronize your PC clock with time.windows.com while MultiCharts is closed.

escamillo

Postby escamillo » 09 Jul 2012

TIKITRADER - maybe it is related to this:

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=10139

JoshM

Postby JoshM » 09 Jul 2012

Tiny graphical issue: the window from right-clicking in a PowerLanguage file --> Properties shows a missing word in the "Max number of bars study will" sentence. Will what? :)

Using Windows 7 Home Premium, MultiCharts Version 8.0 Release (Build 5620).
Attachments
scr.09-07-2012 12.51.43.png
(24.77 KiB) Downloaded 12732 times

Dave Masalov

Postby Dave Masalov » 10 Jul 2012

Tiny graphical issue: the window from right-clicking in a PowerLanguage file --> Properties shows a missing word in the "Max number of bars study will" sentence. Will what? :)

Using Windows 7 Home Premium, MultiCharts Version 8.0 Release (Build 5620).
This is a known issue which will be fixed in the next version. Thank you for reporting.

TIKITRADER

Postby TIKITRADER » 11 Jul 2012

TIKITRADER, what is the chart resolution? If it is a time based chart and countdown appears late-you need to synchronize your PC clock with time.windows.com while MultiCharts is closed.
Yes, time based charts.
The problem continued even with time sync in which I run dimension4( edit: NetTime on this machine ) for updates.
It continues to look like the image attached on all existing charts, though when I opened new charts countdown appeared.
I am deleting all existing charts and installing new charts.
Really tried to avoid that, but in the end it is necessary.
Thanks for the replies.
Attachments
Time based. clock missing.png
(29.94 KiB) Downloaded 12777 times

Dave Masalov

Postby Dave Masalov » 12 Jul 2012

Yes, time based charts.
The problem continued even with time sync in which I run dimension4( edit: NetTime on this machine ) for updates.
It continues to look like the image attached on all existing charts, though when I opened new charts countdown appeared.
I am deleting all existing charts and installing new charts.
Really tried to avoid that, but in the end it is necessary.
Thanks for the replies.
TIKITRADER,

If the problem persists, please come to our Live Chat Mon-Fri from 6:30 AM to 4 PM EST for investigation: http://messenger.providesupport.com/mes ... pport.html

DRCM

Postby DRCM » 12 Jul 2012

Hello,

was there any authorization issues approx. an hour ago at MC end? Problem is I couldn`t connect my MC with TWS again, TWS login window started pop up again even if TWS running already ( it pissing me off already, happens time after time without any reason), I noticed that ushmds on TWS wasn`t connected it means MC can`t find or connect to TWS backfill data, I checked all settings on both TWS and MultiCharts, nothing changed there, I had no changes or new installations on my PC at all in the last time. I rebooted my PC couple times, didn`t help. And after one reboot when I started MC I got warning message that MC runs on another computer asking me to terminate that connection or something like that. And only after that my PC successfully connected to TWS. Btw, I use MC platform only on one PC. What`s going on here? Almost an hour wasted to get simple connection to TWS.

MCx64 latest release, TWS 927.7d

Thank you

Henry MultiСharts

Postby Henry MultiСharts » 12 Jul 2012

Hello,

was there any authorization issues approx. an hour ago at MC end? Problem is I couldn`t connect my MC with TWS again, TWS login window started pop up again even if TWS running already ( it pissing me off already, happens time after time without any reason), I noticed that ushmds on TWS wasn`t connected it means MC can`t find or connect to TWS backfill data, I checked all settings on both TWS and MultiCharts, nothing changed there, I had no changes or new installations on my PC at all in the last time. I rebooted my PC couple times, didn`t help. And after one reboot when I started MC I got warning message that MC runs on another computer asking me to terminate that connection or something like that. And only after that my PC successfully connected to TWS. Btw, I use MC platform only on one PC. What`s going on here? Almost an hour wasted to get simple connection to TWS.

Thank you
Hello DRCM,

"MultiCharts is running on another computer" message means that one of the processes was not finished properly during the previous run (in case you are using MultiCharts only on this PC). You can ignore it and click "terminate the connection". That should not cause any issues and you should be able to authorize fine.

You can disable "Launch Trader Workstation at start" in QuoteManager->Tools->DataSources in case you do not need to start TWS automatically.

DRCM

Postby DRCM » 12 Jul 2012

Hello,

Thank you
Hello DRCM,

"MultiCharts is running on another computer" message means that one of the processes was not finished properly during the previous run (in case you are using MultiCharts only on this PC). You can ignore it and click "terminate the connection". That should not cause any issues and you should be able to authorize fine.
Hello,

how is it possible when I open MultiCharts just after PC restart? there shouldn`t be not finished processes at all.

Henry MultiСharts

Postby Henry MultiСharts » 12 Jul 2012

Hello,

how is it possible when I open MultiCharts just after PC restart? there shouldn`t be not finished processes at all.
That is possible when one of the processes was not finished properly before you restarted your PC->the process was forced to shut down->after restart you receive the message.

h4nk

Postby h4nk » 13 Jul 2012

Regarding the crosses above and crosses below issue, I installed MC 8.0.5722.401 sent to me by Henry to fix some other bug. It seems that crosses above and crosses below work as expected now. Crosses above now works for -2, -1, 0, 1. But, I have not tried it with -2, -1, 0, 0, 0, 1 (see the three zeros). Can anyone test it for me?

Henry MultiСharts

Postby Henry MultiСharts » 13 Jul 2012

Regarding the crosses above and crosses below issue, I installed MC 8.0.5722.401 sent to me by Henry to fix some other bug. It seems that crosses above and crosses below work as expected now. Crosses above now works for -2, -1, 0, 1. But, I have not tried it with -2, -1, 0, 0, 0, 1 (see the three zeros). Can anyone test it for me?
Hello Hengki,

In order to investigate your case please provide additional information:
-workspace you are using
-in Power Language editor->File->Export->export with dependent functions the study you are using
-attach a detailed problem description and highlight the problem on the screenshots.

arnie

Postby arnie » 14 Jul 2012

Here's something I never understood, why can't MC plot all past executed trades right on the chart without having to connect to TWS?

It makes no sense. All trades are recorded in the OPT but none can be seen on the chart. Why? I check the Show Historical Orders option but nothing happens...

Stan Bokov

Postby Stan Bokov » 16 Jul 2012

Here's something I never understood, why can't MC plot all past executed trades right on the chart without having to connect to TWS?

It makes no sense. All trades are recorded in the OPT but none can be seen on the chart. Why? I check the Show Historical Orders option but nothing happens...
Hello Fernando,

MC needs to know orders from what account you want to be displayed. In order to choose an account broker profile should be connected. As a workaround, you can keep the profile connected all the time so it connects automatically.

mefTrader

Postby mefTrader » 16 Jul 2012

I am using MC8.0 version 5622 currently and have used previous versions before

I am noticing that the machine is crashing quite a lot - I thought it was my web browser playing videos while optimising in MC but even without the web browser enables the computer seems to be crashing quite a lot during optimisation runs (e.g 3 times today for example)

This machine has been thoroughly checked for hardware and software related issues and win7 has been re-installed just recently.

Anybody else experience such issues?

Notice that this version of MC seems to be slower than previous version too?

Maybe it is just my machine ( quad i7 6GB Ram, 64bit Win7)

sptrader

Postby sptrader » 16 Jul 2012

Try doing optimizations in off-line mode.. see if it still crashes..
(I don't think Optimizations are recommended, while receiving RT data).

TJ

Postby TJ » 16 Jul 2012

I am using MC8.0 version 5622 currently and have used previous versions before

I am noticing that the machine is crashing quite a lot - I thought it was my web browser playing videos while optimising in MC but even without the web browser enables the computer seems to be crashing quite a lot during optimisation runs (e.g 3 times today for example)

This machine has been thoroughly checked for hardware and software related issues and win7 has been re-installed just recently.

Anybody else experience such issues?

Notice that this version of MC seems to be slower than previous version too?

Maybe it is just my machine ( quad i7 6GB Ram, 64bit Win7)
How much data and how much criterion you are running?

mefTrader

Postby mefTrader » 16 Jul 2012

1.5 years of Hourly Futures (CL, RB, TF,EURUSD, GC) using Genetic Opt - Matrix Size 25(X) * 25 (Y) i.e. 2 params at a time

Dave Masalov

Postby Dave Masalov » 17 Jul 2012

1.5 years of Hourly Futures (CL, RB, TF,EURUSD, GC) using Genetic Opt - Matrix Size 25(X) * 25 (Y) i.e. 2 params at a time
mefTrader,

Please reproduce the issue, collect Dump files of the MultiCharts.exe process and MC Logs before restarting MC and send them to support@multicharts.com with the screenshot demonstrating the issue.

Here are instructions on how to collect logs and dumps:

https://www.multicharts.com/trading-sof ... lect_Dumps

https://www.multicharts.com/trading-sof ... harts_Logs

arnie

Postby arnie » 22 Jul 2012

I've been rearranging my toolbars and I can't seem to center the Chart Analysis toolbar in the vertical toolbar. It gets always to the left.

Attachments
tools.png
(25.2 KiB) Downloaded 14956 times

Dave Masalov

Postby Dave Masalov » 23 Jul 2012

I've been rearranging my toolbars and I can't seem to center the Chart Analysis toolbar in the vertical toolbar. It gets always to the left.
Hello arnie,

The issue has been confirmed. Thank you for reporting. As a workaround, please try to detach and reattach the Chart Analysis toolbar.

arnie

Postby arnie » 06 Aug 2012

First, since MC8 is still the latest release, why isn't this thread on top of all threads? Shouldn't this thread be the main one when reporting issues withing this version?

Anyway, please try the following, detach a couple of charts. "Stick" them. Close MC and reopen it. The "stick" charts, although having the "stick" on allow other windows to open in front of them. You need to "unstick" and then "stick" them again so they stay in front. It seems when MC reopens the "stick" option although being on is in fact off.

Regards,
Fernando

Henry MultiСharts

Postby Henry MultiСharts » 07 Aug 2012

Anyway, please try the following, detach a couple of charts. "Stick" them. Close MC and reopen it. The "stick" charts, although having the "stick" on allow other windows to open in front of them. You need to "unstick" and then "stick" them again so they stay in front. It seems when MC reopens the "stick" option although being on is in fact off.

Regards,
Fernando
Hello Arnie,

We were unable to reproduce the issue in our environment.
Please come to our live chat Monday-Friday 6:30 am - 4 pm EST to demonstrate the issue remotely.

arnie

Postby arnie » 07 Aug 2012

We were unable to reproduce the issue in our environment.
Please come to our live chat Monday-Friday 6:30 am - 4 pm EST to demonstrate the issue remotely.
I hate when this happens. I'm not being able to reproduce this today.

bowlesj3

Postby bowlesj3 » 11 Aug 2012

I installed MC 8.0 release and the bar spacing seems to be working fine. It did not know my settings so I had to remember them and set the Bars margin option then put the number in.

I like the fact that when I start MC each time, my 3 tool bars move to the correct location where I always have them.

Related to the tool bars being locked in place now, just for everyone's info, because I now have a long overdue 3rd monitor to work with, I tried detaching [the larger charts (5min,10min,15min,30min,60min) which I have arranged in two rows on the far left monitor] from MultiCharts so that MacroExpress could size these charts windows. I wanted MacroExpress to force in place ONLY the top and bottom border/edge of the two rows of charts. This would allow me to manually adjust the left and right border/edge of those charts depending on the waves I saw in the market (what chart the waves appear on) and how many bars I need to see. Unfortunately MacroExpress can not size only the top/bottom border/edge of a chart so I put them back inside MC. I have a feature request for this actually (see below). It would be handy and 4 votes are already in for it. I suppose I could have a special MacroExpress macro that sets these windows (all 4 borders) but I would have to make sure it only runes once during the day so that my left/right border/edge positions were not disturbed after that.

The PM (bug tracker) entry for this feature has 4 votes.
https://www.multicharts.com/pm/viewissu ... _no=MC-442

I changed my mind and decided to detach the charts and use MacroExpress after all. The reason is I realized that I could remove the top boarder and get a lot more vertical chart space and MacroExpress forces them to be perfectly sized. Squeezing the bars is a reasonable work around.
Last edited by bowlesj3 on 13 Aug 2012, edited 1 time in total.

bowlesj3

Postby bowlesj3 » 13 Aug 2012

I just found a problem in MC 8.0 that appears to be there in MC 7.4 as well (or at least some of it). It is related to right margin spacing when bars are selected. It has to do with various ways that the bars will start shifting so that the right margin section on the chart will eventually vanish from view. The details are at this PM link. My last comment (from the link) is below on how to trigger this bug.

I figured out how to trigger the bug (1 way at least). If I leave the chart by pressing the end key on the 1 minute bars the chart will hold the right margin bars properly during each new bar it creates. However, if I highlight the chart background or move an object on the chart then leave the chart and highlight another application it will not hold this right margin properly.

I believe this bug started before MC 8.0. I probably missed it until now because I have a lot of macros that send keys out to the chart and the last one is typically the end key. However I do not always issue the macro and now that I have the 3rd monitor I am using it less since I have more screen space and less need to squeeze up the chart and unsqueeze it so often. It could be that it has been there a lot longer than MC 7.4 (I noticed it last week after the first week with the new monitor). It is a bit annoying but not bad enough to roll back on (yet). I could write a macro that constantly goes out and sends an end key out at the end of a minute for the 1 minute bar and at the end of 10 second for the 10 second bars but that would probably cause much bigger problems if they automatically issued themselves. It it was a request from someone to have the chart anchored at the left side bar and it was changed and defaulted to the new behavior this was an error in implementation. It should always default to the old behavior and be published as a new option. It not done this way people think it is a new bug and send all sorts of emails etc asking for a fix (some changes could cause people to loose money like skipping ticks when they use volume in their indicators as probably most people do). I almost did that with the new hand which provides background drag. It messed up the setting for right margin. I remembered that I could take it out of the custom tool bar and I removed it so I could not accidentaly mess up my setting for right hand margin which I have been using since MC 2.1.999.999. It would be an okay feature if it did not change the setting or if it could restrict the drag to that setting and no farther. I doubt anyone would want that drag to change their bars to the right setting. The reason is fairly simple. They have chosen X number of bars they want to the right but at the same time they will almost certainly want to see as much chart as they can see to the left or they would not be using the right margin value in the first place. Most who want the charts anchored on the left side (rather than the right side as I want them) will not be using the right margin bars option.

https://www.multicharts.com/pm/viewissu ... no=MC-1089
Last edited by bowlesj3 on 13 Aug 2012, edited 11 times in total.

bowlesj3

I like the feature you have in now where the cross hair stays visible now when an arrow is highlighted to be moved. It takes a bit of care to make sure the arrow is highlighted with the cross hair exactly over it so you can use the cross hair to position the arrow perfectly the first time at the cross hair location. It is better than it was. If it could snap the arrow to the cross hair (maybe as an option, as indicated in this link, it might be even better).
https://www.multicharts.com/pm/viewissu ... _no=MC-413

As an after thought, the fact that the arrow does not snap to the cross hair as suggested in the above link the value of having the cross hair visible is lost. I find I end up doing what I always do which is to manually try and line up the arrow with the bar as I am moving it since I do not have the time to center the cross hair on the arrow when I highlight it. It may help a tiny bit since I can see in advance that the arrow has been grabbed out of center with the cross hair.

bowlesj3

I have decided to roll back to MC 7.4. The reason is shown in the last 2 comments of this link.The chart is popping ahead far too often such that dropping arrows accurately and quickly is impossible for day trading, I can live with having to set the tool bars every time I start MC but having to deal with a chart which is a moving target for tool placement is not possible.
https://www.multicharts.com/pm/viewissu ... no=MC-1089

MC 7.4 does use the left bar as an anchor when the trader has moved the chart so that bars are not showing on the right side. However ti does seem to do it properly. If there is even one blank bar showing to the right margin the chart is smart enough to use the right margin spacing bar as the anchor for squeezing or expanding the bar. Maybe it is the background drag that has created the problem here (my guess is probably). Maybe when I did a drag and it messed up my right margin setting of 51 that this problem started. Maybe a restart of MC would fix it.

Unfortunately, restarting MC fresh did not fix this problem. Again, the problem after restart is if I decide to drop a bunch of arrows to mark the swings in the RSI and get the exact RSI value showing in the arrow text the chart starts to jump forward every tick or at least every 2 or 3 ticks making it hard to properly place the next arrow drop. Unfortunately a roll back is needed since it is not possible to use MC this way. Additionally it is unrealistic to think the trader can issue End key commands to keep the right margin they have chosen visible at all times. It should be assumed that MC should respect their chosen right margin value and should always keep it visible for them (it pretty much goes without saying).

bowlesj3

Postby bowlesj3 » 14 Aug 2012

I am back on MC 7.4 now. I suspect the problem with the frequent reduction in right margin spacing when I drop arrows in the RSI may be caused by the fact that I have detached 6 charts and put them outside MC on the left monitor of my 3 monitors. I say this because the same problem is occuring in MC 7.4 now when I drop the arrows on the RSI. I will put the charts back inside and see if this corrects the problem and report back. I put the charts outside MC yesterday after I upgraded to MC 8.0 because I realized this would give me more charting space to see the RSI better. It will be unfortunate if I have to stop doing this because after I put the charts outside and removed the Title Bar I could have MacroExpress position them perfectly every time.
Last edited by bowlesj3 on 14 Aug 2012, edited 1 time in total.

bowlesj3

I moved the 6 charts back inside MC 7.4 and the problem is still occurring. To help get a handle on what is causing the chart to slip so often, I am rewriting the script which puts out a vertical line at the MaxBarsForward point so it puts out a series of them of different lengths so you can see in the 1 minute bars at a glance just how far the chart has jumped away from the MaxBarsForward (end key) location by the time the minute has completed (at about the 50 seconds into the minute time). From my observations so far it appears that the chart tends to jump more within the minute if the trader is placing drawings on the chart or highlighting them. It could be that I blamed it on MC 8.0 rather than MC 7.4 because I became aware of it last week an decided to delay taking a really good look at it until I installed MC 8.0 (in other words I am much more aware of it now).

TJ

Postby TJ » 14 Aug 2012

Not sure if this is related to your issue: if your monitors have different resolutions, when you detach a chart outside of MC into a monitor of different resolution, any drawing object on the right space will behave slightly differently. This has to do with the bar spacing pixels.

bowlesj3

Here is the code that makes it obvious the chart is shifting. I ran MC without my programs and without MacroExpress just to make sure no keystrokes were being sent out that might shift the chart but it still keeps shifting and reducing the right Margin. The only other thing I could try is take the machine back down to two monitors but I can not see how 3 monitors or the new monitor card could do this. I also realized that I may not have noticed it before simply because if the chart shifted on me when I was dropping an arrow (causing me to have to re-position the arrow) I may have thought that it was just an end of bar shift (not suspecting anything). The code is in quotes so you can read the comments before deciding if you want to bring down the zip file version and run it.

I forgot to mention that the script displays both the LastForwardBar time and the time on the right side of the screen for comparison. It issues a notify sound every time the chart slips out of line. So you do not really have to study it much (that is the whole idea to make it very easy to see if your chart is slipping out of line).
Not sure if this is related to your issue: if your monitors have different resolutions, when you detach a chart outside of MC into a monitor of different resolution, any drawing object on the right space will behave slightly differently. This has to do with the bar spacing pixels.
I have just set the monitors up to their true resolution. Surprisingly enough they are easier to read at this smaller print. Resolutions are 1680X1050, 1680X1050 and 1920X1200. Unfortunately this resolution test has not fixed the problem. It may just be MC. I may run MC 2.1.999.999 tomorrow to see how it works.

{
Purpose of this script:
=======================
It is only to be used if you are using using the Bars Setting for your right margin but it can be used even if the right margin setting is zero.
It is to be used after you have pressed the END key to make your full right margin visible (or your chart is positioned so the last bar is showing).
It gives you a very clear visual if your chart is all by itself shifting such that your right margin is getting smaller than it is set to.
It does this by giving you a text read out. You can adjust how far up the text appears from the bottom of the screen.
It also gives you a notify sound every time the chart shifts and you can see the total shifts in the text read out.

It also can give you a visual buy the use of 9 vertical lines if you wish.
The 9 vertical lines are automatically turned off it your right margin is less than 9.
This automatic turning off of the lines is done so the lines will not interfer with the text readout.
The 9 verical lines are placed at the very right portion of your chart. Each line is a different length.
The first line and the last line are the same length. if your chart has not shifted then you will still be able to see these shorter lines.

There is another sound I turned off that you can hear if you wish. it occurs at the end of each minute bar.

To Use this script:
===================
Run it only if you use 1 minute bars and your 1 minute bar chart has a right margin based upon bars. Even if the margin is zero you should run it.
if your margin is zero then turn off the Lines Option and only use the Text Readout.
To use it for other bar sizes requires you modify the script.
Place the script in your 1 minute bars.
You set ShortLineLength to whatever value seems appropriate for your symbol. You may need to adjust it for your symbol. it is set for the ES e-mini.

Note: you also get the MoveTrendLine function when you download the zip file.

To run the test:
===============
After the script is in place first press the END key to make sure your chart is positioned so the full right margin of your chart is visible.
Now start dropping arrows on the chart. If you have a subchart drop them there. Be careful not to shift your chart yourself.
My chart has RSI and the chart starts shifting all by itself the most when I drop arrows on the RSI.
However my chart will at times shift all by itself if I just leave the chart along for 5 to 10 minutes (SOMETIMES)
Note that each time your chart shifts you will hear a "Windows notify" sound and the number of shifts difference is updated.
You can test this by forcing it to shift with the left arrow key.

The extra sound you can hear if you wish is the "Windows XP Battery Critical" sound.
It will occur at second 51 of the 1 minute bar.
}

Inputs:
ShowLines("N"), {if Y you see the vertical lines showing the lines at the far right of your Right Margin area}
ShortLineLength(.25), {This is the short line Length - These are the two lines which start end end the set of lines}
BottomTextSpace(1), {Number of units up from the bottom of the screen for the text display}
BottomLineSpace(1.25), {Number of units up from the bottom of the screen for the line display }
EndOfMinuteReminder("N"); {if Y you get a sound at second 51 to remind you to look at the lines. Default off since I did not really use it.}

Arrays:
IntraBarPersist MyLine_ID[9](0), {IDs for 9 vertical lines that will show if your chart has shifted so the MaxBarsForward right margin is not showing}
IntraBarPersist MyLine_End[9](0);

Variables:
IntraBarPersist LineStartPrice(0),
IntraBarPersist LineStartPricePrev(0),
IntraBarPersist ShowLinesWork("Y"),
IntraBarPersist NotifyCnt(0),
IntraBarPersist RightSideOfScreenTime(0),
IntraBarPersist RightSideOfScreenTimePrev(0),
IntraBarPersist WorkForwardTime(0),
IntraBarPersist TextID(0),
IntraBarPersist SoundOccured("X"),
IntraBarPersist TotalChartShift(0),

IntraBarPersist LowestScreenPriceInt(0),
IntraBarPersist TextPrice(0),

IntraBarPersist WorkLength(0),
X(0),
IntraBarPersist PreviousTime(0),
IntraBarPersist MaxBarsForwardTime(0),
IntraBarPersist MaxBarsForwardTimePrev(0);
if currentbar = 1 then
Begin
ShowLinesWork = ShowLines;
if MaxBarsForward < 9 then
ShowLinesWork = "N";
{START: code to create the lines which will later be moved in to place for viewing}
LineStartPrice = IntPortion(close);
WorkLength = ShortLineLength;
for X = 0 to 8
begin
MyLine_End[X] = LineStartPrice + WorkLength;
MyLine_ID[X] = TL_New(Date,time,LineStartPrice,Date,time,MyLine_End[X]);
value1 = TL_SetColor(MyLine_ID[X],tool_Yellow);
WorkLength = WorkLength + ShortLineLength;
end;
X=9;
MyLine_End[X] = LineStartPrice + ShortLineLength;
MyLine_ID[X] = TL_New(Date,time,LineStartPrice,Date,time,MyLine_End[X]);
value1 = TL_SetColor(MyLine_ID[X],tool_Yellow);
{END: code to create the lines which will later be moved in to place for viewing}

TextID = Text_New(Date,time,0," ");
value1 = Text_SetStyle(TextID,1,2);
end;

If LastBarOnChart then
begin
LowestScreenPriceInt = IntPortion(GetAppInfo(aiLowestDispValue));
LineStartPrice = LowestScreenPriceInt + BottomLineSpace; {Get an even number to start displaying the bottom of the verical lines from}
TextPrice = LowestScreenPriceInt + BottomTextSpace;
if time <> PreviousTime then {Stuff to do at the very first tick of the bar when BarStatus=0}
begin
SoundOccured = "N"; {This sets the flag so the sound will be heard at second 51 of the 1 minute bars}

MaxBarsForwardTime = MinutesToTime(TimeToMinutes(time) + MaxBarsForward); {Calculate the time of the MaxForwardBar}

end;
RightSideOfScreenTime = DateTime2ELTime(GetAppInfo(aiRightDispDateTime));
if RightSideOfScreenTime <> MaxBarsForwardTime then
begin
if NotifyCnt = 0 then
begin
NotifyCnt = NotifyCnt + 1;
if BarStatus <> 2 then
begin
Playsound("C:\WINDOWS\Media\Windows XP Notify.wav");
end;
end;
if RightSideOfScreenTime < RightSideOfScreenTimePrev then
begin
RightSideOfScreenTimePrev = RightSideOfScreenTime;
if BarStatus <> 2 then
begin
Playsound("C:\WINDOWS\Media\Windows XP Notify.wav");
end;
end;
end
else
begin
RightSideOfScreenTimePrev = RightSideOfScreenTime;
NotifyCnt = 0;
end;

if Mod(SecondsfromDateTime(ComputerDateTime),60) > 50 then {Test if we are at the end of the 1 minute bar}
begin
if SoundOccured = "N" then
begin
SoundOccured = "Y";
if EndOfMinuteReminder = "Y" then
Playsound("C:\WINDOWS\Media\Windows XP Battery Critical.wav"); {This sound reminds you to check the lines during the last 10 second of the minute}
end;
end;
if ShowLinesWork = "Y" then
begin
if MaxBarsForwardTime <> MaxBarsForwardTimePrev or LineStartPricePrev <> LineStartPrice then
begin
{START: code to calculate the prices for the placements of the lines}
WorkLength = ShortLineLength; {ShortLineLength is the length of the shortest line}
for X = 0 to 8
begin
MyLine_End[X] = LineStartPrice + WorkLength;
WorkLength = WorkLength + ShortLineLength;
end;
X=9;
MyLine_End[X] = LineStartPrice + ShortLineLength;
{END: code to calculate the prices for the placements of the lines}
for X = 0 to 9
begin
WorkForwardTime = MinutesToTime(TimeToMinutes(MaxBarsForwardTime) - X);
value1 = A_MoveTrendLine("Test",MyLine_ID[X],Date,WorkForwardTime,LineStartPrice,Date,WorkForwardTime,MyLine_End[X]);
end;
end;
end;
value1 = text_setlocation(TextID,Date,Time,TextPrice);
TotalChartShift = TimeToMinutes(MaxBarsForwardTime) - TimeToMinutes(RightSideOfScreenTime);
value1 = Text_SetString(TextID,"> " + NumToStr(RightSideOfScreenTime,0) + "-" + NumToStr(MaxBarsForwardTime,0) + " (Diff=" +NumToStr(TotalChartShift,0) + ") <");
PreviousTime = time; {Reset the PreviousTime so this code only occurs once at the start of each bar}
MaxBarsForwardTimePrev = MaxBarsForwardTime;
LineStartPricePrev = LineStartPrice;
RecalcLastBarAfter(1); {Force a fake tick every second}
end;
Attachments
20120815_152103_ES_01_shift2.png
(93.69 KiB) Downloaded 12718 times
A_ChartSlippageTest.zip
(8.53 KiB) Downloaded 644 times
Last edited by bowlesj3 on 15 Aug 2012, edited 8 times in total.

bowlesj3

Postby bowlesj3 » 15 Aug 2012

I tried setting all 3 monitors to exactly the same resolution but I heard a jump this morning (the script sounds a notify sound every time there is a jump in the chart which should not occur). I will leave it like this for a little while today to see just how bad it is relative to yesterday. I should note that it was doing this jump on all 3 monitors (all charts). When I had only 2 monitors I had them at different resolutions and they were different monitors. Right now I have two PCI cards to run these. Before I had two monitors on 1 PCI card. All PCI cards and the motherboard are all NVIDIA and are suppose to be perfect matches. In fact the two PCI cards run off exactly the same driver (they are designed for that). So I can not see how this problem can be caused by the Video cards. I may try MC 2.1.999.999 today and if that corrects it then it confirms it is MC.

The other test option is install IB TWS on the notebook and see if the problem exists there. If yes then that will also confirm it is MC.

I will also modify this script to have an option to display the vertical lines and also to calculate a count of the amount of slippage within the minute bar. The slippage is normally 5 or 6 slips every minute which is really bad since it accumulates. This means that the right hand last chart prices will eventually slip right off the screen. So if the problem is an MC problem it is actually much worse for those who do not have a large up front right margin as my 51 setting on the 1 minute bars and 28 setting on the 10 second bars. The amount of slippage seems do depend on whether they drop anything or the screen or just touch it with the cursor. If they are 100% automated (probably very rare) then the slippage would be minimal. I am not sure if it is MC yet but regardless of where the fault lies it is a very serious problem when a charting program can not properly display the chart prices on the right hand side of the screen where it is the most important. Unfortunately the only way a person using percentage can test for the slippage is to set their percentage to a very low amount and see if the right hand margin disappears followed by the disappearance of more and more bars on the right side. So what I am getting at is the MC-Team should take this script and start testing different setups to see if it is MC (or if it is MC on certaing setups) and if it is get it fixed A.S.A.P. You don't want users discovering a problem like this on their trial because they have zero margin setting.

arnie

Postby arnie » 15 Aug 2012

I'd like to know when will you guys change the way the data range is plotted?

It's very annoying to have this based on calendar days instead of market days.
Those 4 days set on the image in reality, for today, it only plots one and a half days of data. Studies that require data from the previous day or previous X days are always getting into trouble because of this. I'm forced to have 10 days or so plotted to be certain that all is being correctly calculated. We are consuming memory with data that we don't need. Things would be much better with data being plotted based on market days and not calendar days.

I remember reading something about this where you said that you were going to change this but I can't find it anywhere.

Regards,
Fernando
Attachments
days_back.png
(11.72 KiB) Downloaded 14597 times

bowlesj3

I just updated the "Chart Slippage Test" script such that users who have no right margin but they use Bars for their right margin can use it to test for chart slippage. If interested use the zip file at the bottom of this link since it has the MoveTrendLine function which it requires. I also added a png picture showing the lines and text it puts out on the screen to show the slippage if any.

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=10518&p=53019#p53019

Changes:

** You get a text readout which now shows the amount of slippage so far.

** The text readout also shows the MaxBarsForward time and the Right-Side-Of-Screen time.

** You get a notify sound that occurs every time there is a slippage.

** Again the lines default to "No Lines" so that users with no right margin can use the script. If you have 10 or more lines of right margin you might want to show the lines. If you have less than 10 lines of right margin it turns off the lines automatically even if you have them turned on. If you still want the lines and you have less margin you will need to change the script loops.

** The text readout and the lines appear at the bottom of the chart so as not to interfere with prices. You can adjust this setting.

** You can adjust the line length and the change is I now recommend a very small line length so that the lines appear at the bottom and will not get in the way. They are actually very useful if you have a margin. There is a separate setting for the bottom location of the lines and text readout so you could use them if you have no right margin if you wish by changing the settings to allow them both to appear and having the lines very small.

** The other sound that occurs at the end of the minute has been defaulted to off since it has no value now that you can see the text readout.

You can see the full code at the above link (not perfect but it works).
Last edited by bowlesj3 on 15 Aug 2012, edited 3 times in total.

bowlesj3

I made a slight change to that "Chart Slippage Script" which may not be important to most. It would take a full minute before the adjustment to the location of the lines at the bottom of the chart would take effect. Now any adjustment occurs immediately. A tiny bit less imperfect :-)

I have to say, I am actually using this script and will use it during the trading day. it lets me know immediately (using the lines more than the text readout) that I need to hit the sendkeys button to fix the slippages. I constantly have to do this (like maybe 500 to 1000 times a day). It is actually very useful to the point that I guess I will upgrade to MC 8.0 again. After a few days use (and any slight improvements if any) I think I should make it available since it is important to know if the chart has shifted or not and some may have the same problem. it is less of a problem if you have this script running since at least you know what is going on and if sending key strokes you can easily fix it. MacroExpress can be set up to help.

I may create a method to record the total number of chart shifts per day on the 1 minute bars. There are more shifts there because I have more activity on that chart.

I just went to break, came back and found 54 slippages waiting when there were none at the time I started break. Big problem. I think I will do the Notebook test (setting it up tonight and doing the test tomorrow morning). 5 slippages in the time I wrote this paragraph.

I looked up video card lag and it sounds as though that can not be the problem.

The good news is I have the monitors set up at proper resolution now and can see much more chart prices all round and MacroExpress is positioning the larger charts perfectly a few times a day. Lastly the script lets me know when I have to hit the button and reset the chart to get the full right margin showing.

bowlesj3

Postby bowlesj3 » 16 Aug 2012

A bit more info on this chart "slippage to the right" problem. it does not slip when the chart is zoomed. Thats it - LOL. Not a lot to add. However, This is a fairly serious problem for me so I have a plan to deal with it and if you want to read the plan feel free.

Next week I will do 1 to 3 tests to try and decide if it is MC or something related to the addition of a 3rd monitor to my setup.

Shift test: prepare a test on the notebook by installing TWS for Monday morning. [No shift=video card. Shift=MC.]
Shift test: Monday morning install MC 2.1 and see if it shifts. [No shift=MC. Shift=Video Card]
Shift test: Unplug the 3rd monitor [No shift=video card. Shift=MC.]
If I can not solve it I will enhance the script to;
**Be used by anyone since anyone could have the same problem.
**Be installed in all charts.
**to detect a shift and update a different GV for each chart.
**to issue a sound when shift is detected (optional to change it for select charts).
**Line display will be the same.

Right now my external program fixes the 1 minute bar chart when I press the back quote key. A few other keys also fix it and have fixed it all along with all of them finishing with the End Key. I will change this one script to detect what charts are shifted using the GVs that have been set and issue the end key to fix whatever charts are shifted saving me the need to figure out what chart has shifted. So that will minimize the problem.

If I have not figured out the issue and isolated it to my setup I will present the script again in a more summarized format.

JoshM

Postby JoshM » 25 Aug 2012

I'd like to know when will you guys change the way the data range is plotted?

It's very annoying to have this based on calendar days instead of market days.
(..)
We are consuming memory with data that we don't need. Things would be much better with data being plotted based on market days and not calendar days.

I remember reading something about this where you said that you were going to change this but I can't find it anywhere.
I'd also like to see an option to plot either calendar days or market days. Actually, business days would be okay too, and probably easier to implement.

The relevant PM issue for that is here: Judging from the low number (125) it's pretty old (+1.5yr?), so some more votes probably would be helpful. :)

arjfca

Postby arjfca » 25 Aug 2012

This problem can be solved by replacing the MultiCharts sound file with an empty sound .wav file (with the same name). I've attached a 200ms wave sound file of silence generated with Audacity.

For example, if you want to turn of the sound alert for 'Position opened', replace the position.opened.wav in the C:\Program Files (x86)\MultiCharts\sounds directory with the silence sound file (that you'll need to rename to 'position.opened.wav'). This way the sound is turned off and the annoying "ding" isn't played.
is it possible to include more options for the MultiCharts sound files than just turn all on/turn all off? The TWS sound manager does this superb, with options to turn off a specific sound and to use a custom sound file.
This is turned into a more complete feature request, please vote for it if you find it useful:
I've also added feature requests to make the PowerLanguage Editor more user friendly: Thanks. :)
clever solution

Martin :)

JoshM

Postby JoshM » 26 Aug 2012

I noticed that quite some IQFeed symbols have wrong Symbol Dictionary settings. Just to check to ensure that I don't do a lot of work in vain: are the Symbol Dictionary settings kept when updating MultiCharts and MultiCharts .NET?

The wiki article is not clear on this:
It is also possible to add new symbol roots into Symbol Dictionary and edit existing symbol roots. Symbol Dictionary contains symbol roots for most futures contracts. However, it is not possible for the list to be 100% complete, and contract specifications may change.
May change due to new contract specifications issued by the exchange (which makes the one in the Symbol Dictionary incorrect) or may change due to a MultiCharts update?

arnie

Postby arnie » 26 Aug 2012

I noticed that quite some IQFeed symbols have wrong Symbol Dictionary settings. Just to check to ensure that I don't do a lot of work in vain: are the Symbol Dictionary settings kept when updating MultiCharts and MultiCharts .NET?

The wiki article is not clear on this:
It is also possible to add new symbol roots into Symbol Dictionary and edit existing symbol roots. Symbol Dictionary contains symbol roots for most futures contracts. However, it is not possible for the list to be 100% complete, and contract specifications may change.
May change due to new contract specifications issued by the exchange (which makes the one in the Symbol Dictionary incorrect) or may change due to a MultiCharts update?

If you don't delete your database files, the specifications you've manually set shouldn't be changed by a new MC installation. At least I've never had that problem.

JoshM

Postby JoshM » 27 Aug 2012

If you don't delete your database files, the specifications you've manually set shouldn't be changed by a new MC installation. At least I've never had that problem.
Thanks Fernando, good to know. :)

---

Is it possible to include LMAX messages in the log? (Like 'connected to order server', 'disconnected from order server')

Currently in MC8.0, no messages from the LMAX broker profile are printed to the OPT log (at least not here on my pc), while other broker profiles (IB, ZF, MB, CQG) did/do this. It's quite important to have these messages available so that we can check for any problems.

Dave Masalov

Postby Dave Masalov » 30 Aug 2012

Is it possible to include LMAX messages in the log? (Like 'connected to order server', 'disconnected from order server')

Currently in MC8.0, no messages from the LMAX broker profile are printed to the OPT log (at least not here on my pc), while other broker profiles (IB, ZF, MB, CQG) did/do this. It's quite important to have these messages available so that we can check for any problems.
Unfortunately, it is not possible at the moment. Order status messages are not provided by LMAX API.

Dave Masalov

I'd also like to see an option to plot either calendar days or market days. Actually, business days would be okay too, and probably easier to implement.
Your request has been forwarded to the developers and will be considered for implementation.

Dave Masalov

If I have not figured out the issue and isolated it to my setup I will present the script again in a more summarized format.
John,

If the problem persists, please contact MultiCharts support directly either in the Live Chat or by e-mail.

JoshM

Postby JoshM » 30 Aug 2012

Unfortunately, it is not possible at the moment. Order status messages are not provided by LMAX API.
Indeed unfortunate, also because LMAX isn't planning this soon. Since their last API version is 5.5 months ago, and they aren't currently planning it, it might take 'a while' I suppose.
Will the API that MultiCharts uses be updated so that status messages are also available? As you might know, the Logs tab in MultiCharts doesn't display information about the LMAX connection, which makes it hard to guess what's going on if something is not performing correctly.

There are no immediate plans to change our .NET code to reflect the connection messages for MultiCharts users. Alternatively, you will be able to see any error messages related to placing orders in the Activity log.

bowlesj3

Postby bowlesj3 » 30 Aug 2012

If the problem persists, please contact MultiCharts support directly either in the Live Chat or by e-mail.
Thanks Dave, I will do that. It is very easy to reproduce the chart shift on my machine. I have not been able to do the three tests yet to help decide if it is MC or my new setup. I had a significant medical distraction and have not been doing much with trading for two weeks now. That is pretty much cleared out now. Maybe I can test the chart shift on my notebook this weekend or next. For now I have elaborated the correction script to fix whatever charts have shifted by a shortcut which requires I simply press 1 button to fix it (1 or more charts as required).

Henry MultiСharts

Postby Henry MultiСharts » 10 Sep 2012

This issue is confirmed. It will be fixed in MultiCharts 8.1 Beta 1
Hotfix can be found in this post.

ABC

Postby ABC » 13 Sep 2012

I just went over it with the MC help desk and there seems to be a bug that MC won't load minute data with IQFeed that is older than six years. The data is present on the IQ servers and can be accessed during market hours, but MC won't load it. I thought others might run into the same issue, so I posted it here and once a hotfix is available it can be posted here, too.

Thank you,
ABC

arnie

Postby arnie » 19 Sep 2012

Something happened today that I've never seen before.

Switched on my PC, opened MC and that error popped up.
Click OK, MC started and then another error about some incompatibility regarding ATCenterServer. Click OK and MC closed.

I reopened MC again and this time all went fine.

What happened?
Attachments
MC_error.png
(38.79 KiB) Downloaded 14133 times

Dave Masalov

Postby Dave Masalov » 19 Sep 2012

Switched on my PC, opened MC and that error popped up.
Click OK, MC started and then another error about some incompatibility regarding ATCenterServer. Click OK and MC closed.

I reopened MC again and this time all went fine.

What happened?
Hello Fernando,

Apparently, QuoteManager and MC were launched under different users. To make sure this never happens again, you may want to always run MC, QM, PLE and Portfolio backtester as administrator (right-click on the icon and click Run As Administrator).

Henry MultiСharts

Postby Henry MultiСharts » 20 Sep 2012

I just went over it with the MC help desk and there seems to be a bug that MC won't load minute data with IQFeed that is older than six years. The data is present on the IQ servers and can be accessed during market hours, but MC won't load it. I thought others might run into the same issue, so I posted it here and once a hotfix is available it can be posted here, too.

Thank you,
ABC
Hello ABC,

That wasn't a bug, just a limiter was set for the amount of historical data.
With the attached updates it is increased to 10 years of minute data.

Keep in mind that IQFeed provides:
1 Minute data back to 2005 for Forex and Eminis Back to 2007 for Stocks/Futures/Indexes
Attachments
MC_IQ_80x64.zip
x64
(1.11 MiB) Downloaded 647 times
MC_IQ_80.zip
x32
(883.05 KiB) Downloaded 516 times

ABC

Postby ABC » 02 Oct 2012

Both the 32bit and 64bit version don't seem to print text that is drawn on a chart either manually or by a study.
Write a text to a chart and click on "Print Preview" and the text is not shown in the preview anymore. Trendlines work fine though. I didn't actually try to print the chart using a printer, but used the microsoft document writer and the text doesn't appear in this document either.
I doubt that this behaviour is wanted, as it would dimish the otherwise useful print feature dramatically.

Thank you,
ABC

Henry MultiСharts

Postby Henry MultiСharts » 02 Oct 2012

Both the 32bit and 64bit version don't seem to print text that is drawn on a chart either manually or by a study.
Write a text to a chart and click on "Print Preview" and the text is not shown in the preview anymore. Trendlines work fine though. I didn't actually try to print the chart using a printer, but used the microsoft document writer and the text doesn't appear in this document either.
I doubt that this behaviour is wanted, as it would dimish the otherwise useful print feature dramatically.

Thank you,
ABC
ABC, please send me the workspace with the chart (with drawings applied) you are previewing to support@multicharts.com

ABC

Postby ABC » 02 Oct 2012

Thank you,
ABC
ABC, please send me the workspace with the chart (with drawings applied) you are previewing to support@multicharts.com
Henry,
in one case it was a brand new workspace and 5 minute @ES# chart and I just manually added a text drawing stating "Hello". That was enough to reproduce the issue on a different computer and I didn't keep the workspace.
Regards,
ABC

Henry MultiСharts

Postby Henry MultiСharts » 02 Oct 2012

Henry,
in one case it was a brand new workspace and 5 minute @ES# chart and I just manually added a text drawing stating "Hello". That was enough to reproduce the issue on a different computer and I didn't keep the workspace.
Regards,
ABC
ABC, I was unable to reproduce it. The problem can be caused by the color scheme you use for your chart and drawings. Please reproduce it once again and send me the workspace and screenshots demonstrating this behavior.

TJ

Postby TJ » 02 Oct 2012

Henry,
Regards,
ABC
ABC, I was unable to reproduce it. The problem can be caused by the color scheme you use for your chart and drawings. Please reproduce it once again and send me the workspace and screenshots demonstrating this behavior.
I have observed this problem as well.
If you do a "Save Image as file",
then do a "Print Preview",
you will see some of the text objects on the image file can be missing from the preview.

See attached example
Attachments
2012-10-02 15.4303.jpg
(564.39 KiB) Downloaded 12675 times
MultiCharts1.png
(100.2 KiB) Downloaded 12629 times

ABC

Postby ABC » 02 Oct 2012

Henry,
Regards,
ABC
I currently can't seem to reproduce it with manually drawn text either, right now it works fine as it should. Which it didn't earlier.
Once I manage to reproduce it again, I'll make sure to save everything and send it over.

Henry MultiСharts

Postby Henry MultiСharts » 03 Oct 2012

Write a text to a chart and click on "Print Preview" and the text is not shown in the preview anymore. Trendlines work fine though.
We have tried to reproduce this behavior multiple times on our end with no luck.
Please try to reproduce it with any prebuilt or sample indicator that you can send us.
Also create a sample workspace that can be sent to us for analysis.

Create a screenshot of the system properties window:
For Windows Vista/7 you can find this information here: Control Panel\System and Security\System or right click on the Computer icon and select properties.
For Windows XP you can find this information here: Control Panel\System\General or right click on the Computer icon and select properties.

Please describe the exact steps for reproducing this behavior.

ABC

Postby ABC » 18 Oct 2012

During the import of indicators and systems the option, to "Select dependend function(s)" is always greyed out since some releases. If I recall correctly this used to work and is quite an important feature in case you want to import only some indicators from a file containing several indicators. It can become quite annoying to always go back and look for missing and needed functions.

Is this a bug or am I missing something?

Regards,
ABC
Attachments
Import.jpg
(35.58 KiB) Downloaded 13877 times

Henry MultiСharts

Postby Henry MultiСharts » 18 Oct 2012

During the import of indicators and systems the option, to "Select dependend function(s)" is always greyed out since some releases. If I recall correctly this used to work and is quite an important feature in case you want to import only some indicators from a file containing several indicators. It can become quite annoying to always go back and look for missing and needed functions.
Regards,ABC
Hello ABC,

The option "Select dependent function(s)" is avaialble only during study export.

When you are importing a pla file you can see all of the functions that are in this file.
If the export was done with "Select dependent function(s)" checked then you will see them in the list and will be able to check/uncheck the one you need/do not need to import, just as on your screenshot.

ABC

Postby ABC » 18 Oct 2012

Hello ABC,

The option "Select dependent function(s)" is avaialble only during study export.

When you are importing a pla file you can see all of the functions that are in this file.
If the export was done with "Select dependent function(s)" checked then you will see them in the list and will be able to check/uncheck the one you need/do not need to import, just as on your screenshot.
Henry,
thank you, I understand that. But let's assume you have a file containing 100 different indicators and you just want to import one. MC should be able to figure out which functions are needed for that particular indicator and import them, too (if told do to that). TS is able to do this and this is a huge time saver when you have to reimport studies from old backup files. And if I recall correctly this was possible in MC once, too.

Thank you,
ABC

DRCM

Postby DRCM » 26 Oct 2012

I noticed that some Trend Lines are slightly moved up or down by couple of pips very often when I reopen MultiCharts? Is there any problems with them? Im trying to use them on daily charts, I plot it very precisely and next time I check it some, but not all of them are changed slightly.
I use latest version of MC.

Regards,

bowlesj3

Postby bowlesj3 » 27 Oct 2012

Is it me or does MC 8.0 not give that abort screen when you bring it back up after some sort of abnormal termination? I have not seen this screen in MC 8.0 even though I have had a few lockups and had to bring it down (maybe 2 or 3 in 3 weeks). MC8.0 aborts or locks more than MC 7.4 which almost never aborted or locked.

Dave Masalov

Postby Dave Masalov » 29 Oct 2012

Is it me or does MC 8.0 not give that abort screen when you bring it back up after some sort of abnormal termination? I have not seen this screen in MC 8.0 even though I have had a few lockups and had to bring it down (maybe 2 or 3 in 3 weeks). MC8.0 aborts or locks more than MC 7.4 which almost never aborted or locked.
Hello John,

Please provide us with more details. What are you referring to as "that abort screen"? Could yo upost a screenshot?

Are you able to reproduce the issue? What are the steps to do so?

If possible, please come to our Live Chat Mon-Fri from 6:30 AM to 4 PM EST to demonstrate the problem: http://messenger.providesupport.com/mes ... pport.html

Alternatively, you can send us a video showing the issue as well as MC logs and dump files:

bowlesj3

Postby bowlesj3 » 29 Oct 2012

Hi Dave,

I am referring to the abort screen that gave us several options to send the memory dump to you (ftp, email or save to disk for later sending). It also had a box for entering a comment if we chose to send the dump. It had a terminate link to allow us to skip sending the dump. There was another popup I use to get if MC thought the previous session terminated improperly. I never used it so I do not remember that one too well. I am pretty sure this other popup use to appear if I chose to cancel MC via the Windows Task Manager.

I do not know what causes these lockups so I do not know how to reproduce them. I would have to go on live chat. However I do not think you could get MC to open any menus unless you know of some tricks I am not aware of. Of course I am assuming you could still get at the logs or whatever to get some info.

I had one lockup that eventually freed itself (may have been a short lived internal almost infinite loop). After it freed itself MC acted as if nothing ever happened.

John

Dave Masalov

Postby Dave Masalov » 30 Oct 2012

Hello John,

We need MC logs, dumps of all MC processes and screenshots showing the issue for investigation.

If the issue occurs again, please send us all of the above or come to our Live Chat so we can collect it ourselves. Here are the instructions:

https://www.multicharts.com/trading-sof ... _Processes

Henry MultiСharts

Postby Henry MultiСharts » 31 Oct 2012

Henry,
thank you, I understand that. But let's assume you have a file containing 100 different indicators and you just want to import one. MC should be able to figure out which functions are needed for that particular indicator and import them, too (if told do to that). TS is able to do this and this is a huge time saver when you have to reimport studies from old backup files. And if I recall correctly this was possible in MC once, too.
Thank you,
ABC
Hello ABC,

Thank you for your suggestion. There was no such feature in MultiCharts before.
Your request has been forwarded to our developers.

TJ

Postby TJ » 31 Oct 2012

Henry,
Thank you,
ABC
Hello ABC,

Thank you for your suggestion. There was no such feature in MultiCharts before.
Your request has been forwarded to our developers.
This would be a useful feature.

swz168

Postby swz168 » 05 Nov 2012

Update for MC Team:

My problems mentioned in post #24 have disappeared after an fresh install of Windows and MC (without changing the code since I didn't had much time for MC in the last couple of months). Hope the problems are gone.

arnie

Postby arnie » 07 Nov 2012

Does anyone knows why from time to time my Internet Security software pops this warning when I close MC?

Attachments
eset_warning02.png
(41.7 KiB) Downloaded 13322 times

Dave Masalov

Postby Dave Masalov » 08 Nov 2012

Does anyone knows why from time to time my Internet Security software pops this warning when I close MC?

Hello arnie,

This IP address leads to www.dtn.com. I would suggest you to contact IQ Feed with this question.

Return to “MultiCharts”