Trading from the chart - needs improvement

Questions about MultiCharts .NET and user contributed studies.
MidKnight

Trading from the chart - needs improvement

Postby MidKnight » 30 Sep 2012

Hi there,

Part of the allure to MC was the marketed trading from the chart ability.

As per the stated help:
To modify order price, drag the order marker on the chart and drop it to the desired price level.
It doesn't let you drag it to a desired level and instead snaps to the price scale. For example, if the price scale is at 5 pip increments, it will only let you drag and drop it to 5 pip levels, not where you desire. This really must be improved upon to be of any use to me, or most traders wanting to make use of this ability.

A bit of a shame, I hadn't expected this before buying the product and now am forced to fall into the hypnosis of the DOM :(

Henry MultiСharts

Re: Trading from the chart - needs improvement

Postby Henry MultiСharts » 01 Oct 2012

The price scale step is "price scale * min movement". These settings can be modified in QuoteManager->Edit symbol->Settings tab.

Keep in mind that each instrument has its "standard" settings. You can set Min movement=1 For Emini S&P but most probably your broker will not accept this price or will snap it back to the "standard" price scale format.

MidKnight

Postby MidKnight » 01 Oct 2012

Hi Henry thanks for the reply. I had a look in the quotemanager symbol settings for the IB Forex EUR/USD and it looks to me that the min movement is set to 1/2 pip intervals (which is what IB allow as the minimum movement). However, I still cannot drag the order to anything other than 5 pip intervals. Actually I just changed the scale to 2 pip intervals and that didn't matter, it still moves to 5 pip intervals.
MK_2012-10-02_144617.png
(138.79 KiB) Downloaded 1839 times

DRCM

Postby DRCM » 02 Oct 2012

Hi Henry thanks for the reply. I had a look in the quotemanager symbol settings for the IB Forex EUR/USD and it looks to me that the min movement is set to 1/2 pip intervals (which is what IB allow as the minimum movement). However, I still cannot drag the order to anything other than 5 pip intervals. Actually I just changed the scale to 2 pip intervals and that didn't matter, it still moves to 5 pip intervals.
MK_2012-10-02_144617.png
Try to reload chart after you changed settings.

MidKnight

Postby MidKnight » 02 Oct 2012

I shutdown MC.NET and restarted it - still made no difference to me...

DRCM

Postby DRCM » 02 Oct 2012

I shutdown MC.NET and restarted it - still made no difference to me...
I had similar problem yesterday, I couldn`t place my orders properly they mostly were rejected by IB due to min price variation using drag and drop chart trading. I was trying to play with min movement settings in Quote Manager, restarting MC, PC and etc. but I couldn`t solve this problem untill contacted MC Team on Live Chat. During this session they were playing with my MultiCharts araund two hours or so (there were some more issues), they downloaded some files from my PC to check and investigate something, after some time I think they uploaded something back to my MC folder and when they asked me to show the problem again I couldn`t reproduce it anymore. Maybe they changed some other settings as well or etc. I don`t know. Everything worked ok even if I changed min movement in QM. I had no time to go into details, but everything ok now. And Andrew mentioned that we need to reload chart at least after change settings in QM. Try to contact them, I`m not sure there is a bug with current MC version, but at least they can help you.

Regards,

Henry MultiСharts

Postby Henry MultiСharts » 02 Oct 2012

MK_2012-10-02_144617.png
The order price step is correct.
The minimum price variation for this contract in IB TWS is 0.00005.
The minimum price variation you have in MultiCharts is the same = Price Scale * Min.Movement = 1/100000*5=0.00005

MidKnight

Postby MidKnight » 03 Oct 2012

Hi Henry,

I'm not sure what you mean with your last post here. I had stated I have it set to 1/2 pip intervals and that this is in line with what IB's contract spec says. So if the minimum price variation is set to 1/2 a pip (0.00005) why can I only drag it on the chart 5 pip intervals (0.0005)? Unless I have something else set up wrong somewhere else, there is a problem with the chart trading as its not too useful to only be able to move orders at 5 pip increments.....

With kind regards,
MK

Henry MultiСharts

Postby Henry MultiСharts » 03 Oct 2012

if the price scale is at 5 pip increments, it will only let you drag and drop it to 5 pip levels
You are right, MidKnight. That is how it currently works. We are looking into improving this aspect. The request has been already forwarded to our developers.

As a workaround you need to use default instrument scaling, without custom labels/number of digits after decimal.

Return to “MultiCharts .NET”