0 Day Charting under Setting -> Data Range

Questions about MultiCharts and user contributed studies.
mno

0 Day Charting under Setting -> Data Range

Postby mno » 05 Dec 2012

Hello All,

I've just posted a PM issue and I am hoping for support to get this implemented or even better, if someone advise me that I am able to do this already.

If you are day trading, whether system or discretionary, I believe this would be very helpful to have.

https://www.multicharts.com/pm/viewissu ... no=MC-1190

Issue:

I am hoping to see this feature in future updates and therefore kindly explaining the following.

When using either Regular or Non-Regular charts, the Data Rage under Setting Tab default is set to 1 through 5,000,000. Now going back 5,000,000 days or some 20,000 trading years ^^ may be nice to have but for me, as I only day trade, I would like to have the chart start drawing for current day only.

I know that I can set it to 1 but, this is not the same thing as it will bring up the previous day from the start of the day.

I know that I can I can use the Regular vs Non-Regular charts and use the "Bars" back option, but again, this is not the same thing, especially when I want to use the Non-Regular charts like PnF or some other.

By having the 0 days back capability, I would be able to not worry about "manually" setting up the From Date to Start Date to fix on the current date evey morning to accomplish this.
I look forward to your review. Thank you.

mno
Attachments
pic1.jpg
(163.79 KiB) Downloaded 442 times

Henry MultiСharts

Re: 0 Day Charting under Setting -> Data Range

Postby Henry MultiСharts » 05 Dec 2012

Hello mno,

You can achieve your goal by selecting Local time zone, data range: 1 day back.

mno

Postby mno » 06 Dec 2012

Thank you Henry.

But I am still wondering how this can work. Again, here is the scenario:

The market opens at local time at 09:00 AM.

I open up the MC at 08:50 AM and by this time, let say it's 12/07/2012 morning, and the Time Zone is set to Local vs Exchange, and the Data Range is set to 1 days back, the MC still reads the data of 12/06/2012 and when the market starts, it will continue to plot from that point on. In anothers, by 12/07/2012 09:00:01, I would finish the day having 2 days worth of data.

This is not what I would like to do. I would like to have the chart with no data and start plotting for that only. Only way for me to do this is set the Data Rage manually From & To to a specific date.

Hope this make sense. I look forward to your thoughts and advice.

Thank you.

mno

Henry MultiСharts

Postby Henry MultiСharts » 07 Dec 2012

The key moment is the time when you open/create the chart. If you are opening/creating it before today's trading session has started then 1 day back data range will plot the data for yesterday.

The solution is to set "From-To" data range to today's date in both fields. If you create a chart before session start then it will say No data but it will start plotting realtime data once the market is open.

mno

Postby mno » 09 Dec 2012

So it seems there is only couple of way to get this done.

1. Open/Create the chart say, 9:01:00 and start plotting for that only since I've open/created the chart after the market opens, the 1 day back will be interpreted to the current day only.

2. Manually set the "From" date every time I start up the MC to current date. The "To" date is always default to current date but "From" date somehow brings up the last day that it referenced.

Is there a way to set the "From" date to always default to the current date like the "To" date?

Also, I've noticed that the indicators are not updating once the chart starts from a No Data situation - though it does start once I refresh the charts. The RecalcLastBarAfter(1); doesn't seem to help.

Appreciate all your hard work and help.

mno

TJ

Postby TJ » 09 Dec 2012

So it seems there is only couple of way to get this done.
1. Open/Create the chart say, 9:01:00 and start plotting for that only since I've open/created the chart after the market opens, the 1 day back will be interpreted to the current day only.
2. Manually set the "From" date every time I start up the MC to current date. The "To" date is always default to current date but "From" date somehow brings up the last day that it referenced.
Is there a way to set the "From" date to always default to the current date like the "To" date?
Also, I've noticed that the indicators are not updating once the chart starts from a No Data situation - though it does start once I refresh the charts. The RecalcLastBarAfter(1); doesn't seem to help.
Appreciate all your hard work and help.
mno
If you just want to see "Today",
you can set the instrument to invisible and create an indicator that starts plotting on 9:00.

mno

Postby mno » 09 Dec 2012

Thanks for the input TJ,

Actually it's not matter of "seeing" but its more what data is on the chart. My strategy is heavily dependent on using

Code: Select all

Disp = GetAppInfo(aiHighestDispValue) - GetAppInfo(aiLowestDispValue);
which is pure data dependent.

TJ

Postby TJ » 09 Dec 2012

Thanks for the input TJ,

Actually it's not matter of "seeing" but its more what data is on the chart. My strategy is heavily dependent on using

Code: Select all

Disp = GetAppInfo(aiHighestDispValue) - GetAppInfo(aiLowestDispValue);
which is pure data dependent.
That's easy... wish you had spoken your intention earlier.

The display is a function of price. If you know the price, you know the display; you can then calculate your strategy accordingly. There is no need to rely on aiHighestDispValue.

Return to “MultiCharts”