MC.NET needs more aggressive marketing  [SOLVED]

Questions about MultiCharts .NET and user contributed studies.
bluejack

MC.NET needs more aggressive marketing

Postby bluejack » 06 Dec 2012

To make the ecosystem around MC.NET strongly grow and healthy I think its inevitable to use a similar model like NT. Make a light edition which is free and snaps more and more developers to MC.NET but make any trading capability a premium feature. There could be other premium features like the new Volume Profile which you just don't deliver in the light edition.

Just give the devs/traders something to play with, to develope with and they will create many scripts which will raise the awareness of Multicharts.NET. The entry barrier if they get some free version is way lower.

Make MC.NET a game changer. NT wouldn't be so popular without that free stripped version.

---
On another point I got some doubts about how much it is cared about MC.NET and how much dev power exists in the Multicharts team as some issues in the project management are there forever as it seems, even easy ones.

JoshM

Re: MC.NET needs more aggressive marketing

Postby JoshM » 07 Dec 2012

On another point I got some doubts about how much it is cared about MC.NET and how much dev power exists in the Multicharts team as some issues in the project management are there forever as it seems, even easy ones.
I must admit this is also something that crossed my mind, especially since it seems that MultiCharts 8.5 Beta 1, released last month, doesn't has an ETA yet for the .NET version. Coupled with the low activity on the .NET forum (suggesting few customers), I can't help but wonder whether MC .NET already receives less developing/programming time.

This is a good idea:
Make a light edition which is free and snaps more and more developers to MC.NET but make any trading capability a premium feature.
Just give the devs/traders something to play with, to develope with and they will create many scripts which will raise the awareness of Multicharts.NET. The entry barrier if they get some free version is way lower.
You're right. I'd say that the entry barrier is also high for owners of a full version, partly because there's not much scripts, examples, and documentation available (though: what is available, is of good quality).

Fabrice

Postby Fabrice » 08 Dec 2012

Totally agree. The documentation of NT is good and it is probably an important point for a new customer. Each command is explained, how and why it is used. MC.Net allows to browse the catalog of properties/functions but too few examples are given for really being able to exploit their powers. For example, adding a series to an indicator is easy with NinjaScript or EFS, while handling iDataSeriesLoader (not sure of the exact name) is so strange so I have stopped trying it. I don't say it is not good, just it is difficult without examples. Learning a new language is already not obvious, but if the API is not fully explained, we are asked to spend considerable time to produce meager results. For me, EasyLanguage (and its GV/ADE dll) is a kind of prehistoric language, and this is why MC.Net is really interesting. But EL has allowed me to achieve interesting things in reasonable amount of time - and the documentation is everywhere. I will probably continue to use PowerLanguage as long as MC.Net documentation remains so poor.

PS: I also wish to see MC.Net having the same 8.5 beta 1 features of MC, but I believe good documentation of programming MC.Net should be addressed first.

JoshM

Postby JoshM » 09 Dec 2012

Learning a new language is already not obvious, but if the API is not fully explained, we are asked to spend considerable time to produce meager results.
Very true. If there's more/better documentation, we (meaning: the users) can more easily convert indicators and strategies and share these with the community, creating a more sustained environment for MC .NET. In the past, we've seen this happen with regular MultiCharts. But without something to build off from (meaning: a good documentation), it's hard to see the same thing happening to MC .NET.
PS: I also wish to see MC.Net having the same 8.5 beta 1 features of MC, but I believe good documentation of programming MC.Net should be addressed first.
I agree with that. I mentioned MC Beta 8.5 as an example to highlight that, from the outside looking in, there seems to be not much happening on the MC .NET front.

MidKnight

Postby MidKnight » 09 Dec 2012

I agree with the posts above. Most of my charting programming is coming from a neoticker background that had extensive examples, a vibrant forum, and well documented help system. I would gladly share much of my code, but so far I cannot make it generic enough as to be useful to others. Mainly this is due to being confused by the API or the MC.net way of doing things is confusing (for example see below about functions).

I find the "function" philosophy of MC.net to be very confusing. When I look at how the MC.net staff use functions in the built-in indicators it seems as if they tried to just port them directly from MC rather than make it better and treat them as true objects like we should be using them in a C# environment. Disappointed with that design decision on their part as it makes it even more confusing to people perhaps coming to grips with object orientated languages or for those already familiar with object orientated languages but are learning the MC.net language.

Also, not being able to link indicators together via the format indicator screen is another major short coming and barrier to entry for new comers as it means simple things cannot even be explored without writing code. People should be able to do things like put a range indicator on the chart and then link that range output to a moving average, thus giving the result of average range without needing to code it.

With kind regards,
MK

JoshM

Postby JoshM » 14 Dec 2012

Can someone from MultiCharts Support join in on this thread?

For me, personally speaking, the absence of an official reaction to our expressed concerns only reinforces those concerns, so I'd much appreciate an official comment.

Dave Masalov

Postby Dave Masalov » 14 Dec 2012

Dear Users,

Thank you for your comments. We appreciate your feedback and understand your concerns. All your suggestions have been forwarded to the development team and to the management of the company.

MC .NET 8.5 will be released most likely in the beginning of the next year. We do plan to update .NET documentation and add more examples of the code, but cannot give you any exact ETA at the moment.

Let me reassure you that all your requests will be taken into consideration when releasing future versions of MultiCharts .NET

Best Regards,

Dave

Fabrice

Postby Fabrice » 17 Dec 2012

This is typically the kind of thing that should be in the Help file : using ApplicationInfo data.

Code: Select all

public class test : IndicatorObject {
private IApplicationInfo chart_info;

protected override void StartCalc() {
chart_info = Environment;
}

protected override void CalcBar() {
double price_max_displayed = chart_info.HighestScaleValue;

GTrader

Postby GTrader » 28 Dec 2012

The other thing that would help MC.Net and MC in general is creating a better third party interest by creating the equivalent of an AppStore for MC (indicator, strategies and addons). The ability to use Visual Studio in MC.Net would be a huge incentive for them also.

bluejack

Postby bluejack » 09 Apr 2013

Thank you very much for considering my suggestion!!

With the price increase in January you lost me to AB but I will take a look at Multicharts.NET SE again and probably return because I really like C# as a programming language and want Multicharts.NET to be a success.

I think the community will grow strong from now on and counter existing solutions on the market like NT. A healthy and dynamic community behind a product is of importance for acceptance of a solution.

Spread the word!

---
On a side note, you may consider to offer a platform where users can offer their indicators/strategies/addons for free and paid (You take 20%-30% of revenue). So production of .NET code for MC.NET gets even more encouraged. Like an app store. (Examples: here and here). Gogo and bring MC.NET to new life :)

maxima

Postby maxima » 14 Apr 2013

Also, not being able to link indicators together via the format indicator screen
what does this mean? are you saying that MC doesn't let you create indicator on indicator through the UI ? in the chart? only in the code?

Laurentius

Postby Laurentius » 16 Apr 2013

MC,

In addition to the documentation and the existing external C# lessons available I think it would be great with a couple of webinars which presented and explained the basic principles of C# indicator and strategy coding with MC.NET specifically. I think think this would be very helpful for beginners.

Laurentius

MidKnight

Postby MidKnight » 20 Apr 2013

Also, not being able to link indicators together via the format indicator screen
what does this mean? are you saying that MC doesn't let you create indicator on indicator through the UI ? in the chart? only in the code?
Yes, that is what I'm saying. It shocked me too.

With kind regards,
MK

maxima

Postby maxima » 20 Apr 2013

well... that's just crazy

Henry MultiСharts

Postby Henry MultiСharts » 22 Apr 2013

well... that's just crazy
We are going to provide access for the objects of one study from the second study in MultiCharts 9.0.
We are also looking into providing ability to base an indicator on indicator through the UI in one of the future versions.

Henry MultiСharts

Re: MC.NET needs more aggressive marketing  [SOLVED]

Postby Henry MultiСharts » 22 Apr 2013

MC,
In addition to the documentation and the existing external C# lessons available I think it would be great with a couple of webinars which presented and explained the basic principles of C# indicator and strategy coding with MC.NET specifically. I think think this would be very helpful for beginners.
Laurentius
Hello Laurentius,

The new MultiCharts .NET Programming Guide describes the process of developing and applying studies in MultiCharts .NET. It will help you build and debug your custom studies in MultiCharts .NET. Download link.
We are going to host a webinar related to C# questions in the nearest future.

bluejack

Postby bluejack » 22 Apr 2013

Hi Henry, there was no mail announcement about MC .NET SE yet. Is this intended?

Henry MultiСharts

Postby Henry MultiСharts » 23 Apr 2013

Hi Henry, there was no mail announcement about MC .NET SE yet. Is this intended?
Hello bluejack

We will send one out once we make sure that initial users don't report any major bugs.

Return to “MultiCharts .NET”