Question - Session time restrictions  [SOLVED]

Questions about MultiCharts and user contributed studies.
seandean

Question - Session time restrictions

Postby seandean » 06 Jan 2013

The following question is applicable to both versions 8.0.5622 and 8.5.6525 Beta 2;

What I’m trying to do: I’m trying to keep data (including study data) and trades (automated strategies) for the ES (US-GLOBEX) future to only be applicable to normal US stock trading hours (9:30 – 4:00).

What I’m noticing: If I set in Format Instrument under Settings and Sessions the field to US Stocks (Regular Trading Hours) all previous days data and trades are conducted appropriately, including the visual timeframe on the chart. However, the current day will not follow these rules, data and trades can be conducted outside of my set chart hours and are displayed as such.

What I’m asking: Is this possible, and if so, how would this “rule” be properly set in MultiCharts? Is it done using MultiCharts settings, or would this be something I need to program in both the study and strategy?

Thanks.

TJ

Re: Question - Session time restrictions  [SOLVED]

Postby TJ » 06 Jan 2013

The following question is applicable to both versions 8.0.5622 and 8.5.6525 Beta 2;

What I’m trying to do: I’m trying to keep data (including study data) and trades (automated strategies) for the ES (US-GLOBEX) future to only be applicable to normal US stock trading hours (9:30 – 4:00).

What I’m noticing: If I set in Format Instrument under Settings and Sessions the field to US Stocks (Regular Trading Hours) all previous days data and trades are conducted appropriately, including the visual timeframe on the chart. However, the current day will not follow these rules, data and trades can be conducted outside of my set chart hours and are displayed as such.

What I’m asking: Is this possible, and if so, how would this “rule” be properly set in MultiCharts? Is it done using MultiCharts settings, or would this be something I need to program in both the study and strategy?

Thanks.
You will need to change the session time in the symbol dictionary.

seandean

Re: Question - Session time restrictions

Thanks.

The market just opened and changing the Sessions information in QuoteManager appears to be working – no data is changing in MultiCharts, whereas my broker is live when set accordingly.

I’m assuming that MultiCharts only exchanges data through the broker API when, or at least in my case the symbol is “programmed” to be trading. You might be able to force a manual trade, but that’s out of the scope of what I’m doing now.

TJ

Postby TJ » 06 Jan 2013

Thanks.

The market just opened and changing the Sessions information in QuoteManager appears to be working – no data is changing in MultiCharts, whereas my broker is live when set accordingly.

I’m assuming that MultiCharts only exchanges data through the broker API when, or at least in my case the symbol is “programmed” to be trading. You might be able to force a manual trade, but that’s out of the scope of what I’m doing now.
Bear in mind that when the market is trading, the dataprovider is continuously feeding the quotes, and MultiCharts will receive those quotes. By limiting the session time in your symbol dictionary does not prevent the data from coming through. You are merely stop updating the time increments in your charts.

seandean

Bear in mind that when the market is trading, the dataprovider is continuously feeding the quotes, and MultiCharts will receive those quotes. By limiting the session time in your symbol dictionary does not prevent the data from coming through. You are merely stop updating the time increments in your charts.
I understand.

So let’s say in the scenario of a strategy taking action on an SMA cross, if it were to happen inside my allowable hours and displayed on my chart that would work as normal, but if it were to happen outside my hours, and it’s not reflected on “my” chart (because I’ve told it not to do so) it would not take any action.

I guess the real concern is that the chart displayed in MultiCharts is the basis for any strategy action like my example, and not any other underlying data, even though in the market it might exist.

seandean

Postby seandean » 07 Jan 2013

I understand.

So let’s say in the scenario of a strategy taking action on an SMA cross, if it were to happen inside my allowable hours and displayed on my chart that would work as normal, but if it were to happen outside my hours, and it’s not reflected on “my” chart (because I’ve told it not to do so) it would not take any action.

I guess the real concern is that the chart displayed in MultiCharts is the basis for any strategy action like my example, and not any other underlying data, even though in the market it might exist.
Just for reference, and if anyone else ever comes up with this issue, one of the root causes of my problem was that the futures exchange time zone (GLOBEX, Chicago) does not match the cash market (NASDAQ, NYSE, New York).

Its difference of one hour and trying to apply the US Stocks (Regular Trading Hours) profile to it was causing incorrect daily start and end times which messed everything up for me.

I was assuming it would adjust automatically, it did not, but setting the correct values in “GMT” (using my local time zone could potentially mess things up) it now appears to function as desired.

Return to “MultiCharts”