Good Dot-Net books ?

Questions about MultiCharts .NET and user contributed studies.
syswizard

Good Dot-Net books ?

Postby syswizard » 28 Dec 2012

I'm a programmer by profession proficient in Easy Language, VB, VBA, Javascript and some Java.
I'm really intrigued by the new dot-net release of MC. However, I am worried about the learning curve to get into the dot-net environment.
Somewhat unnerving is that example where 3 lines of EL expands into 30 lines of C# !!!
Can anyone recommend some good books ?

GTrader

Re: Good Dot-Net books ?

Postby GTrader » 28 Dec 2012

To get your feet wet I liked "Head First C#". You can read it in a day and it will give you the general idea of how it works. Then I would get one of the O'Reilly books like "Programming C#" as a reference. For strategy coding and such that is all you will need, but if you want to code some form apps I would highly recommend "Windows Forms Programming in C# by Chris Sells".

Quite honestly once you get your head around C# (which you will do very quickly given your background) you will never want to go back to the EL world. MC still needs to extend/tweak their object/interface structure but unlike other platforms you can extend the object structure yourself by linking in your own .net libraries.

syswizard

Postby syswizard » 29 Dec 2012

Thanks for that GTrader. I understand that MC is coming out with a new dot-net version any day now, is that correct ?

The issue that really bothers me is grasping all of the available dot-net "USING" packages/libraries (is that what they're called ?) like REFLECTION, etc.
Where can I get a good background on those ?

GTrader

Postby GTrader » 29 Dec 2012

MC.Net has actually been out for a while, and they even have a beta version of the next upgrade.

The first book will give you exposure to the basic ones, but the second will have the reference for most of the .net namespaces. The main reason for namespaces (using packages) is just so objects/methods don't conflict name-wise and to organize libraries into logical groups. Quite honestly you probably won't need much beyond the "system" and "powerlanguage" namespace for most of your needs in writing systems/indicators.

My reason for using MC.Net is to effectively create an Application inside of the MC.Net application that will allow me to run and manage a portfolio of automated strategies. The more complicated the task brighter MC.Net shines.

syswizard

Postby syswizard » 29 Dec 2012

The more complicated the task brighter MC.Net shines.
I imagine that applies to pairs-trading, basket-trading, arbitrage, and the like.
Another concern: multi-threading. Do I have to worry about it / manage it ?

syswizard

Postby syswizard » 30 Dec 2012

My other, big, BIG concern is having to learn all of those OO design patterns.
I mean learning them all could be half a lifetime, right ?
I'd rather trade than learn...quite frankly.

MidKnight

Postby MidKnight » 31 Dec 2012

My other, big, BIG concern is having to learn all of those OO design patterns.
I mean learning them all could be half a lifetime, right ?
I'd rather trade than learn...quite frankly.
It depends what you are coding of course, but possibly for vast the majority of your work the design patterns will not be needed. I certainly wouldn't put that on my reasons to not learn any OO language.

With kind regards,
MK

syswizard

Postby syswizard » 31 Dec 2012

Of course, but I've been thru enough projects where it became obvious that knowing these design patterns became crucial to the success (under budget, over expectations) of the project.

drolles

Postby drolles » 02 Jan 2013

Syswizard,

If you are ok with VB you will probably be ok with .Net. In fact, you can use VB .Net a language.

Cheers,

drolles

syswizard

Postby syswizard » 05 Jan 2013

Syswizard,

If you are ok with VB you will probably be ok with .Net. In fact, you can use VB .Net a language.

Cheers,

drolles
VB.Net never took off. It's C# dot-net or nothing. For one thing, there's a ton of good code available.
Also, it's now nothing but Java vs. C# for large non-web dev efforts.

bluelou

Postby bluelou » 07 Jan 2013

Stephens' C# Programming w/Visual Studio 2010 appears to be a very nice start. I own the book but have only skimmed it. It seems to almost lead you by the nose w/a DVD and step-by-step instructions on how to implement the practice lessons. Also, all of the solutions are posted at the author's website.

http://www.amazon.com/Stephens-Programm ... rogramming

syswizard

Postby syswizard » 08 Jan 2013

Thanks BlueLou !

Return to “MultiCharts .NET”