Equity traders using MC?

Questions about MultiCharts and user contributed studies.
TonyB

Equity traders using MC?

Postby TonyB » 07 Jan 2013

I know that I must be in the minority here, and while I trade the ES on occasion, typically on the short side as a hedge, I primarily trade stock, ETF's and equity options, not futures.

Who all is using MC for equities?

What broker, or MC broker, has the most equity and market data?

I currently have an equity feed via OEC, but it doesn't provide equity implied volatility, so I can't chart that in MC. It doesn't provide market advancers / decliners, so I cannot make use of MC's McClellan Osciallator. Just some examples...

With that, I just keep using ToS, but I'd really like to start using MC more. I sense that Interactive Brokers might be the best bet for data, both equity and market, but I'd like to know, or see a list of such data that is provided, free or otherwise.

Thanks much for your feedback.

arnie

Re: Equity traders using MC?

Postby arnie » 07 Jan 2013

I know that I must be in the minority here, and while I trade the ES on occasion, typically on the short side as a hedge, I primarily trade stock, ETF's and equity options, not futures.

I currently have an equity feed via OEC, but it doesn't provide equity implied volatility, so I can't chart that in MC. It doesn't provide market advancers / decliners, so I cannot make use of MC's McClellan Osciallator. Just some examples...

With that, I just keep using ToS, but I'd really like to start using MC more. I sense that Interactive Brokers might be the best bet for data, both equity and market, but I'd like to know, or see a list of such data that is provided, free or otherwise.

Are you interested in volume profile, delta, and all related studies? If so, you need IQFeed since it's the only one capable to offer the data you need.
Also, IQFeed has a huge length of indices and indicators http://iqfeed.net/symbolguide/index.cfm ... web=IQFeed

TonyB

Re: Equity traders using MC?

Postby TonyB » 07 Jan 2013

Thank you Arnie. I appreciate that link regarding IQFeed.

I am very interested in VP and was happy to see the inclusion of such by MC.

I do quite a bit of marco analysis of the markets, for lack of a better descriptive. I like to have a work space tab dedicated for this purpose, which I do in the TOS platform (daily, weekly and monthly ones). To do so in MC though, I need the appropriate data. Let me explain what I like to see, a couple examples.

1. The McClellan Oscillator for both the NYSE and NASDAQ. As you probably know, this is driven by advancing and declining issues, so that data is necessary. With this information charted, much like one would for stochastic or MACD (below the charted instrument), I find it helpful, mostly from a divergence perspective.

2. The daily quantity of 52 week highs and lows for the NYSE and NASDAQ. This too, charted, serves as a nice indicator, in my opinion.

Popular indices peaking, over and over, while the advancing issues and the quantity of new highs is falling-off is something I like to monitor.

Let me add another, with the same intent...

3. The quantity of stocks (NYSE and NASDAQ) above their 10, 20 and / or 50 day MA. This too would be charted below the main chart, as an indicator.

I trust that MC can make these happen, so long as the data is available for creation. Correct?

The next question that should be asked is what input data should MC have to generate the above. Would MC require actual raw numbers in the feed on the quantity of advancing and declining issues, quantity of new 52 week highs / lows, etc... or would it simply be able generate those numbers from the historic data, ie looking at yesterday's close, compared to today's to discern what advanced and declined or look at the previous 52 weeks for each ticker to conclude the number of new highs / lows? Seems somewhat taxing, maybe no big deal or not heavy-lifting for MC?

Are you interested in volume profile, delta, and all related studies? If so, you need IQFeed since it's the only one capable to offer the data you need.
Also, IQFeed has a huge length of indices and indicators http://iqfeed.net/symbolguide/index.cfm ... web=IQFeed

Return to “MultiCharts”