MC 7.4 - IQFeed - Win 7 64 - Price bars freeze randomly...

Questions about MultiCharts and user contributed studies.
PioTrek

MC 7.4 - IQFeed - Win 7 64 - Price bars freeze randomly...

Postby PioTrek » 08 May 2012

MC 7.4 Final 32-bit
Windows 7 Pro SP1 64-bit
IQFeed 4.8.1.2 (32-bit app)
High end system (Intel 3930k/16GB ram/Intel 520 SSD etc)

Every so often (1-10x a month), price bars will freeze in MC. It will completely stop updating new prices and the chart is frozen. For ex, if I am watching three individual charts such as 5min, 4-Hr, 1000-tick charts of ES, often times only one of the ES charts will freeze, while the other ES charts continue to update prices normally. It is required to completely close that instance of Multicharts, as the workspace is unclickable/dead. It never reactivates itself.

This did not occur a *single* time when using Windows XP Pro SP3 32 using same version of MC and IQFeed.

It is often difficult to track when it occurs, but I have a slight inclination to believe it is a larger amount of price updates (brief surges in T&S volatility) that causes the lockups. But I could be completely off.

I have 3 instances of MC open at all times, each with an avg of only 3 active workspaces. No more than 3 different symbols plotted live.

Has this been an issue for others? I noticed on MC 8.0 Beta 3 the following amendment to the platform: "Tsserver.exe process had issues processing very large volumes." Is this perhaps in the ballpark with my issue?

I would much rather revert to Win XP Pro 32 than guinea pig with the beta if no one can confirm they have had similar issue with respective fix. Thanks.

Henry MultiСharts

Re: MC 7.4 - IQFeed - Win 7 64 - Price bars freeze randomly.

Postby Henry MultiСharts » 09 May 2012

Hello PioTrek,

Have you traced your system performance and assured that you are not exceeding the 32 bit app memory limitations?

MultiCharts 7.4 is a 32 bit application and has a Windows limitation of 2 GB of virtual memory per process. If the process that consumes too much memory is MultiCharts.exe or MCPortfolio.exe, then you can try to use multiple instances of the program (which you already do according to your description). However, if it is Tsserver.exe, the only solution is to operate with less data or use MultiCharts 64 bits (which will be able to use all your system resources).

Please install Process Explorer http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysi ... 96653.aspx
Go to: View->Select column->Process memory->check "Virtual Size"
then you need to sort the processes by the Virtual memory column.

If the issue is not in the memory then please install the attached updater for IQfeed connection.

Here is how to do that:
Please close Multicharts and all its windows.
Check that all MC processes are ended in Task manager:
atCenterServer.exe
Fixserver.exe
MultiCharts.exe
MessageCenter.exe
PLEditor.exe
QuoteManager.exe
StudyServer.exe
tsServer.exe
TradingServer.exe
TPserver.exe
ZfServer.exe
ZfServerProxyV3.exe

Unzip the archive into a new folder.
Then run the Updater.exe and click on Update.
if the update is installed correctly-the last line will say “Done”.

Please let me know if this solution helped you or not.
Attachments
MC_70.zip
(859.18 KiB) Downloaded 181 times

PioTrek

Postby PioTrek » 09 May 2012

Thank you Henry for quick response.

I updated the tsIQ dll as you supplied. Within 30mins of usage, I had a complete price update freeze of all charts simultaneously (ES, 6E, ZN). Time and sales/data influx volatility was not especially high (lunch US session). I have never had all charts freeze at once, so it is probably safe to say this issue surrounds the tsIQ dll. I closed all instances of MC, and when re-initiating the workspaces, the prices this time would still not initiate (no live flow from IQ). This never occurred previously. I had to restart the computer to rectify.

I don't believe it is memory related. Yesterday's freeze (using original DLL with 7.4 final), the instance of MC that was driving that workspace only had 51.8MB usage at time of freeze. The other 2 open instances of MC kept humming along @ 80MB and 229MB. All MC processes running totaled roughly 625mb at time of price update freeze on a tick chart, with largest individual process being 229MB.

Are there any potential conflicts using IQfeed to simultaneously feed MC and Quotetracker? I use QT to display IQFeed time and sales , and when this across the board price update freeze occurred, I noticed QT froze as well at same time. Leads me to believe this is a socket competition issue?

As I mentioned prior, all this came to light when moving from Win XP 32 to Win 7 64.

Do you recommend a 3rd party time & sales soft that works well with MC & IQ? I'm not running QT for now to test issue and will rely on my CQG Integrated Client platform. Is there an eta for Time & Sales addition to MC?

Henry MultiСharts

Postby Henry MultiСharts » 09 May 2012

Thank you Henry for quick response.

I updated the tsIQ dll as you supplied. Within 30mins of usage, I had a complete price update freeze of all charts simultaneously (ES, 6E, ZN). Time and sales/data influx volatility was not especially high (lunch US session). I have never had all charts freeze at once, so it is probably safe to say this issue surrounds the tsIQ dll. I closed all instances of MC, and when re-initiating the workspaces, the prices this time would still not initiate (no live flow from IQ). This never occurred previously. I had to restart the computer to rectify.

I don't believe it is memory related. Yesterday's freeze (using original DLL with 7.4 final), the instance of MC that was driving that workspace only had 51.8MB usage at time of freeze. The other 2 open instances of MC kept humming along @ 80MB and 229MB. All MC processes running totaled roughly 625mb at time of price update freeze on a tick chart, with largest individual process being 229MB.

Are there any potential conflicts using IQfeed to simultaneously feed MC and Quotetracker? I use QT to display IQFeed time and sales , and when this across the board price update freeze occurred, I noticed QT froze as well at same time. Leads me to believe this is a socket competition issue?

As I mentioned prior, all this came to light when moving from Win XP 32 to Win 7 64.

Do you recommend a 3rd party time & sales soft that works well with MC & IQ? I'm not running QT for now to test issue and will rely on my CQG Integrated Client platform. Is there an eta for Time & Sales addition to MC?
The dll from updater should have fixed that. That is possible that the issue is not in the MC data feed dll. In the meantime you can roll back to the previous dll version of IQfeed data feed. To do that you need to go to Control panel->Uninstall a program->Double click on Multicharts->Repair.

You need to trace tsserver.exe virtual memory consumption (not regular RAM usage that shows Windows Task Manager). Please refer to the guide in my previous post.

IQfeed is able to stream data to multiple applications at a time. The main point is to have them all running under the same user. This can be the source of the issue. Please make sure you are running all applications (MultiCharts, QT, IQfeed) either as regular user or as administrator.

Time and sales is on our to-do list but there is no ETA at the moment. Please vote for it in the Project Management.

Please let me know the results of your test with QT closed so that I will be able to provide further solutions.

PioTrek

Postby PioTrek » 15 May 2012

Unfortunately, I just received the same price freeze problem today on 6E during a high period of volatility. No freezes since my last post above. I was running Quotetracker but using a different data provider for T&S (IB).

Virtual size stats:
tsserver.exe 322.6MB
Multicharts.exe 512MB
Multicharts.exe 287MB
Multicharts.exe 319MB

I repaired MC back to original state (tsiqfeed dll) after this freeze.

I would be grateful if someone can chime in and state if they are running the following with no price freeze issues:

Win 7 Pro SP1 64-bit
IQFeed 4.8.1.7 (32-bit)
Multicharts 4.7 4906 Final (32-bit)

What should be my next step? MC 64? I have to reiterate, IQ 4.8.1.7 and MC 4.7 worked flawlessly on XP Pro 32bit using exact same chart setup and 3 instances of MC.

This is quite frustrating as it is very difficult to replicate error. Would it show up in logs?

Henry MultiСharts

Postby Henry MultiСharts » 16 May 2012

PioTrek, once the issue will appear-please do not close Multicharts and send me the logs for analysis at support@multicharts.com
Here is how to find the logs. Please let me know the instrument name and resolution on the chart with the problem. What is your time zone, what is the chart time zone (exchange/local) and at what time did it stop updating?

Please let me know if the instrument is updating in IQFeed Diagnostics or not when the chart stops updating in MultiCharts.

You can also come to our live chat Monday-Friday 6:30 am - 4 pm EST to demonstrate this issue remotely. We will do our best to help you.

AsimovLLC

Postby AsimovLLC » 11 Aug 2012

I was having the same issue with MultiCharts 64 and IQFeed. Has a resolution been found?

Henry MultiСharts

Postby Henry MultiСharts » 27 Aug 2012

I was having the same issue with MultiCharts 64 and IQFeed. Has a resolution been found?
No such problem has been reported.
Please update to the latest MultiCharts 8.0 Release version and come to our live chat Monday-Friday 6:30 am - 4 pm EST if the issue persists. We will do our best to help you.

waveslider

Postby waveslider » 17 Dec 2012

I am having the exact same issue:
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=8891&p=56994#p56994

This thread details the experience.
Is use MC 8 (b. 5622) with Windows 2008 Server OS
IQfeed is my historical data, Rithmic is live data.

I have never had tick charts freeze - only time charts

Henry MultiСharts

Postby Henry MultiСharts » 19 Dec 2012

I am having the exact same issue:
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=8891&p=56994#p56994

This thread details the experience.
Is use MC 8 (b. 5622) with Windows 2008 Server OS
IQfeed is my historical data, Rithmic is live data.

I have never had tick charts freeze - only time charts
Waveslider, the behavior you have encountered appears when using realtime Rithmic datafeed. It has nothing to do with this thread. One of our support representatives is already investigating your particular case.

waveslider

Postby waveslider » 17 Jan 2013

This is still occurring, and I have no updates. I had considered moving to IQfeed for live as well as historical date, but from reading this thread, it appears that this is not a solution.

Piotrek - is this still occurring for you?

Henry MultiСharts

Postby Henry MultiСharts » 23 Jan 2013

This is still occurring, and I have no updates. I had considered moving to IQfeed for live as well as historical date, but from reading this thread, it appears that this is not a solution.
As far as I know Andrew has requested the information for further analysis from your PC two weeks ago and no information has been provided:
Sam, please upgrade to the latest version of MultiCharts, that is MC 8.5 Beta 2. You can download it from our web page: https://www.multicharts.com/trading-software-download/
We will need you to capture the issue next time it is reproduced. You can use this for shooting video - http://http://uvsoftium.com/index.php/ - or any other more suitable video recorder (please make sure the video is of a good quality). We need to see all charts: values in status line, date and time of the current bars (whole X time scale), current prices (whole Y price scale), your Windows clock time.
Please send us the respective logs files, so we can study them and correlate to the video: https://www.multicharts.com/trading-sof ... harts_Logs
Please pay attention to the load of your CPU, which processes are loading CPU and how much.

waveslider

Postby waveslider » 23 Jan 2013

I cannot replicate the issue upon request.
As mentioned before, the issue seems to coincide with active market data. I have upgraded to the latest IQFeed software and have not had issues since then. That may be coincidence, we will see.

Return to “MultiCharts”