Backtesting Programatically  [SOLVED]

Questions about MultiCharts .NET and user contributed studies.
Wbmstmjb

Backtesting Programatically

Postby Wbmstmjb » 04 Feb 2013

Hi All,

Has anyone come across the proper way to backtest a strategy from code? I may be missing a section of available classes/functions, but I can't figure out how to test the performance of my strategy without using the UI.

Does this capability exist?

Henry MultiСharts

Re: Backtesting Programatically

Postby Henry MultiСharts » 04 Feb 2013

Hello Wbmstmjb,

Please provide more details on the concept you want to have implemented.
What do you mean exactly by "to test the performance of my strategy without using the UI"?

Wbmstmjb

Re: Backtesting Programmatically

Postby Wbmstmjb » 04 Feb 2013

What do you mean exactly by "to test the performance of my strategy without using the UI"?
From code be able to run backtesting. Currently the only way I know of to get performance numbers of a strategy is to apply it to a chart and then get performance numbers from "Strategy Performance Report". Is there a way to run and get the numbers from this report programmatically?

Henry MultiСharts

Re: Backtesting Programmatically

Postby Henry MultiСharts » 05 Feb 2013

From code be able to run backtesting. Currently the only way I know of to get performance numbers of a strategy is to apply it to a chart and then get performance numbers from "Strategy Performance Report". Is there a way to run and get the numbers from this report programmatically?
There is no such way to do that. A signal should be applied to a chart in order to perform calculations (backtesting).

Wbmstmjb

Postby Wbmstmjb » 07 Feb 2013

Of course it would be applied to the chart. But can the performance numbers of backtesting be pulled programmatically from inside that signal?

If I make a strategy where it buys every time the Bars.Open[0] > Bars.Close[1] (great strategy, I know) and apply it to Apple's chart. Can I then pull the performance numbers programmatically from inside the signal code (not from the GUI Menu)?

Henry MultiСharts

Re: Backtesting Programatically  [SOLVED]

Postby Henry MultiСharts » 08 Feb 2013

Can I then pull the performance numbers programmatically from inside the signal code (not from the GUI Menu)?
Hello Wbmstmjb,

At the moment there is no way to do that. You may want to submit a feature request to the Project Management of our web site so other users can vote for it: https://www.multicharts.com/pm/

Emmanuel

Postby Emmanuel » 08 Feb 2013

Hi

Absolutely, this feature is very interesting,

I vote for it.

1 Vote

Emmanuel

Return to “MultiCharts .NET”