Is it normal to wait 10 minutes to exit Multicharts ?

Questions about MultiCharts and user contributed studies.
StratMan

Is it normal to wait 10 minutes to exit Multicharts ?

Postby StratMan » 05 Feb 2013

Multicharts is running from Sunday evening to Friday evening without interruption (except during crash;-))
On Friday night, I turn off everything!
And systematically, I have to wait between 9 and 10 minutes from the time I click on 'File/Exit' and when all Multicharts processes are completed in the task manager ...
(For your information, the same function is performed in less than 1 minute on the other trading platform ...)
Of course, the 8 cores of my computer are working properly, as you may have noticed during the various remote sessions.
(See bugtracker https://www.multicharts.com/pm/viewissu ... no=MC-1233)

arnie

Re: Is it normal to wait 10 minutes to exit Multicharts ?

Postby arnie » 05 Feb 2013

Multicharts is running from Sunday evening to Friday evening without interruption (except during crash;-))
On Friday night, I turn off everything!
And systematically, I have to wait between 9 and 10 minutes from the time I click on 'File/Exit' and when all Multicharts processes are completed in the task manager ...
(For your information, the same function is performed in less than 1 minute on NT ...)
Of course, the 8 cores of my computer are working properly, as you may have noticed during the various remote sessions.
(See bugtracker https://www.multicharts.com/pm/viewissu ... no=MC-1233)

What broker do you use?

I had a similar problem...

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=11659#p57825

Also, if you're "caching" 5 days of data, when closing MC, saving all that data might take its time... especially if you're collecting tick data on multiple symbols.

StratMan

Postby StratMan » 05 Feb 2013

When all brokers are disconnected, the problem remains the same...
Concerning tick data, I also use tick data with my other platform and the weekly exit takes only few seconds...
With MultiCharts, I need to wait more than 10 minutes in order to close one instance of one workspace.

Henry MultiСharts

Postby Henry MultiСharts » 27 Mar 2013

Hello StratMan,

Have you compared it to any previous version of MultiCharts? Was it saving the data faster before?
Do you still have this behavior with MultiCharts 8.5 Release build 6850/6851?
If you have not updated to this build-please update and let me know how it goes.

StratMan

Postby StratMan » 27 Mar 2013

Hello Henry,

I am currently using MC64 Version 8.5 Release (Build 6778)
I will update next week-end to the Build 6851...

But this slowness was already in previous versions of MultiCharts.
The difference is that before, MC systematically crashed during the exit/backup (see the reports sent after the crash, with my comment 'weekly crash of the week-end'), but now MC crashes only once on two.

Currently, in order that the exit is complete (no more MultiCharts process in the task manager) it requires more than 10 minutes, maybe 15 or 20... I do not look at the clock but only the task manager.

sptrader

Postby sptrader » 27 Mar 2013

I use the current 64 bit version and shut down and restart nightly.. (I like to know the data is saved and the memory freed up)... It usually takes about 60 seconds to shut down MC and have it save the data nightly... so if I ran it all week non-stop, it might take 5 minutes or so, to save all of the data...(i7 quad core, 16gig ram).

Henry MultiСharts

Postby Henry MultiСharts » 28 Mar 2013

Hello StratMan,

Please update to MultiCharts 8.5 Release build 6850/6851 and let me know if you experience any crash issues.
If application crash window appears please click Terminate button and send me the logs for analysis (support@multicharts.com). Here is how to collect the logs.
If application crashes with no popup windows but shows a crash report on the next start-please click Send button and send me your PC name (right click on My Computer->Properties->Computer name) so that I can find the dumps you have uploaded or click Save button and manually send me the zipped files.

You can also come to our live chat Monday-Friday 6:30 am - 4 pm EST to demonstrate the issue remotely and we will collect all required for analysis information.
Currently, in order that the exit is complete (no more MultiCharts process in the task manager) it requires more than 10 minutes, maybe 15 or 20... I do not look at the clock but only the task manager.
What are the exact processes?
Please also send me all workspaces you are using weekly to support@multicharts.com for analysis.

faschim

Postby faschim » 28 Mar 2013

Just to throw in my 2 cents worth, I have also experienced slow shutdowns. Slower then with previous versions (I am running the latest 8.5 release). In the end I don't really care about the slow shutdowns. However, during some of the slowest of the shutdown periods, my workspace has been corrupted a hand full of times (when I have selected to save on exit). What happens is that the workspace file size is 0. Like it starts to save but then never actually does anything. I don't notice any crash during the shutdown. Its only happened a small number of times so I haven't done any trouble shooting. Just throwing my experience out there in case others have had the same experience.

Henry MultiСharts

Postby Henry MultiСharts » 28 Mar 2013

Hello faschim,

That is an interesting case and it should be studied.
Did you notice what were the exact processes during some of the slowest of the shutdown periods?
Was there a "saving data to database" window shown during this period?

StratMan

Postby StratMan » 28 Mar 2013

Hello Henri,

You already have my workspace... You has already taken it several times during remote sessions.

faschim

Postby faschim » 28 Mar 2013

I don't recall seeing the "saving data" window. If it happens again I will make a note of what the circumstances were. Thanks Henry.

MAtricks

Postby MAtricks » 28 Mar 2013

What broker and data feed are you using? I've never experienced this issue.

StratMan

Postby StratMan » 28 Mar 2013

iQfeed and fxcm broker and/or MB Trading feed+broker

In both cases, the problem is the same...

MAtricks

Postby MAtricks » 28 Mar 2013

Interesting... I've used MB + Multicharts for a while and have never experienced this.

Have you tried letting MC support log into your machine while it happens? They'll figure it out for you. Please post back once this is resolved. I'd like to know what the issue is.

Henry MultiСharts

Postby Henry MultiСharts » 05 Apr 2013

Waiting for the requested information from StratMan for further analysis.

StratMan

Postby StratMan » 05 Apr 2013

It seems that MC (latest Build 6851) is a little more demanding than the previous versions ... Because this is the first time that my 6 GB of memory are not enough!
Of course, this computer is not running other programs than MultiCharts!

Now that MultiCharts ask me to close, I will be able to verify whether this new version is faster to exit :)

MC begins the week using 2GB, which are increasing throughout the week:
Should perhaps reconsider the memory management? Just do as on other platforms ...

PS : MultiCharts crashed instantly, so I can confirm that this version is much faster to exit than the previous one :)
Attachments
Capture.JPG
(198.73 KiB) Downloaded 1175 times

Henry MultiСharts

Postby Henry MultiСharts » 05 Apr 2013

It seems that MC (latest Build 6851) is a little more demanding than the previous versions ... Because this is the first time that my 6 GB of memory are not enough!

MC begins the week using 2GB, which are increasing throughout the week:
I don't see any abnormal amount of memory used on your screenshot. What exactly it represents?

StratMan

Postby StratMan » 05 Apr 2013

5084 MB are used and there is only MultiCharts on the computer... and MultiCharts displays the warning message of the screenshot. Just after validation, MultiCharts crashed instantanly and the memory used comes back to normal (around 1 GB).
I just restart MultiCharts and with one workspace, it use something normal of 1313 MB, as usual when I start on monday...
Attachments
Capture.JPG
(208.54 KiB) Downloaded 1160 times

Henry MultiСharts

Postby Henry MultiСharts » 08 Apr 2013

5084 MB are used and there is only MultiCharts on the computer... and MultiCharts displays the warning message of the screenshot. Just after validation, MultiCharts crashed instantanly and the memory used comes back to normal (around 1 GB).
I just restart MultiCharts and with one workspace, it use something normal of 1313 MB, as usual when I start on monday...
StratMan, please provide the following information for analysis of your case as it was mentioned in post # 7 above:
If application crash window appears please click Terminate button and send me the logs for analysis (support@multicharts.com). Here is how to collect the logs.
If application crashes with no popup windows but shows a crash report on the next start-please click Send button and send me your PC name (right click on My Computer->Properties->Computer name) so that I can find the dumps you have uploaded or click Save button and manually send me the zipped files.

Please also install Process Explorer
Go to: View->Select columns->Process memory->check "Virtual Size".
Then you need to sort the processes by the Virtual memory column.

Create a screenshot of all MultiCharts processes so that Virtual Memory usage can be seen.

You can also come to our live chat Monday-Friday 6:30 am - 4 pm EST to demonstrate the issue remotely and we will collect all required for analysis information or send me your workspaces for replicating this behavior.

StratMan

Postby StratMan » 09 Apr 2013

Here is the Process Explorer screen shot...
MC_memory_... at the start of the day
The second (EOD) at the end of the day...
Attachments
130409_MC_Memory_EOD.JPG
(173.31 KiB) Downloaded 1155 times
130409_MC_memory_crash.JPG
(171.83 KiB) Downloaded 1177 times

Henry MultiСharts

Postby Henry MultiСharts » 10 Apr 2013

StratMan, please send me your workspaces to support@multicharts.com for further analysis.

Henry MultiСharts

Postby Henry MultiСharts » 11 Apr 2013

StratMan, please send me the studies you are using for replicating the issue in our environment:
In Power Language editor->File->Export->export with dependent functions the studies you are using the workspaces you have provided. Send me the study export file.

In case you experience the crash again please send me the dumps as was described above. The dumps will help us to understand the exact reason you are having this issue.

Return to “MultiCharts”