Can MC pyramid out of a strategy?  [SOLVED]

Questions about MultiCharts and user contributed studies.
Xyzzy

Can MC pyramid out of a strategy?

Postby Xyzzy » 28 Mar 2013

I'm working on a strategy that pyramids into a market position by buying one contract per bar during a particular timeframe. I'd like it to then pyramid out of the position after a position has been open for X number of bars.

For example, let's assume that the strategy is running on hourly bars. It purchases one contract at 1:00, a second contract at 2:00 and a third contract at 3:00. I'd like to close each position after that position has been open for five hours -- i.e., it would sell one contract at 6:00, a second contract at 7:00 and a third contract at 8:00.

I currently have the following code for my entry and exit. The exit is based on the "TimeExit (Bars) LE" signal:

Code: Select all

If Time >= EnterStart AND Time < EnterEnd then begin
Buy 1 contract next bar at Close Limit;
end;

If BarsSinceEntry = BarToExitOn then begin
Sell 1 contract next bar at market;
end;
This doesn't have the desired effect. Instead of pyramiding out of the position gradually, it sells all of the contracts at the same time, X number of bars after the first position was entered. In the example above, it will sell all three contracts at 6:00, rather than closing them sequentially over time. (Despite the "sell 1 contract" limitation.)

Is there any way to achieve this? Thanks in advance for any pointers.

Henry MultiСharts

Re: Can MC pyramid out of a strategy?  [SOLVED]

Postby Henry MultiСharts » 29 Mar 2013

Hello Xyzzy,

You can switch between the modes for processing exit orders using the signal attribute [SameExitFromOneEntryOnce = True/False]. It has been added in MC 8.5.

[SameExitFromOneEntryOnce = true]
Standard EasyLanguage Calculation (default) - any one exit order cannot be applied to one entry more than once. Exit order that was filled can be generated again and applied to a different entry.

[SameExitFromOneEntryOnce = false]
Fill and Kill Exit Order - any one exit order can be applied an unlimited number of times to one entry. After this exit is filled it cannot be applied again until the script recalculates and generates it again.

Add [SameExitFromOneEntryOnce = false] to your code, add Total for the amount of contracts:

Code: Select all

Sell 1 contract total next bar at market;
Alternatively that is possible to exit from particular entry order with Sell from entry and BuyToCover from entry commands.

Xyzzy

Re: Can MC pyramid out of a strategy?

Postby Xyzzy » 29 Mar 2013

Thanks Henry! This is very helpful.

Return to “MultiCharts”