Message: Your PC is running out of memory few questions:  [SOLVED]

Questions about MultiCharts and user contributed studies.
arjfca

Postby arjfca » 06 Nov 2012

Hello

New message did appeared today from Multicharts.exe

Your PC is running out of memory
Reduce the number of bars on the charts or the number of charts and indicator. I don't use tick charts, the lower resolution is 175 sec. (3minutes * 6 days)

- With MC 64, could I still use Global variable and EleXcel.dll to communicate with Excel

Using
- Global variable, is there a known memory leaking problem?
- Elexcel.dll : Know to cause memory problem? (** I suspect these dll to be the problem)

Could I measure memory usage of an Indicator

Any info appreciated

Martin

ABC

Re: Message: Your PC is running out of memory few questions:

Postby ABC » 06 Nov 2012

- With MC 64, could I still use Global variable and EleXcel.dll to communicate with Excel
Hi Martin,

you'd need a 64bit version of the Elexcel.dll, otherwise it wouldn't work I am afraid.
According to this post, the 64bit Global variable should be included in the installer.

Regards,

ABC

Henry MultiСharts

Re: Message: Your PC is running out of memory few questions:  [SOLVED]

Postby Henry MultiСharts » 06 Nov 2012

I don't use tick charts, the lower resolution is 175 sec. (3minutes * 6 days)
N second charts are built from ticks [Source]
With MC 64, could I still use Global variable and EleXcel.dll to communicate with Excel
Elexcel.dll is 32 bit only. There is no 64 bit version of this dll that we are aware of.
New message did appeared today from Multicharts.exe
Your PC is running out of memory
MultiCharts 32 bit is a 32 bit application and has a Windows limitation of 2 GB of virtual memory per process. The warning message comes up when the use of virtual memory reaches 1.5 GB. If the process that consumes too much memory is MultiCharts.exe or MCPortfolio.exe, then you can try to use multiple instances of the program (double click on MultiCharts icon to start another instance).

arjfca

Postby arjfca » 06 Nov 2012

N second charts are built from ticks [Source]
- I learned something here....I will reduce my backlog

- Ok for multiple instance. I had 5 workspaces on a particular instance. I will make sure to limit them. None of them driven by tick data, 15 min. 1h, 4h, day, week.

- Will take a closer look to Multicharts.exe in my process manager. I had seen that the faulty instance was rapidly increasing and was above the 1.5 gb warning limit

Martin :)

sptrader

Postby sptrader » 06 Nov 2012

I would add the workspaces one at a time while watching memory usage..Another thing to try is to enable studies one at a time until you see memory usage climb sharply...
I have 10 workspaces open, with 4 windows/workspace and 4 studies on each and I have no trouble with memory..(MC64)...3.0gig quad core..Win7..8 gig ram..

TJ

Postby TJ » 06 Nov 2012

I would add the workspaces one at a time while watching memory usage..Another thing to try is to enable studies one at a time until you see memory usage climb sharply...
I have 10 workspaces open, with 4 windows/workspace and 4 studies on each and I have no trouble with memory..(MC64)...3.0gig quad core..Win7..8 gig ram..
Their problem is with MC32.

You are using MultiCharts64, you will never have memory problem.

Because a 32 bit OS can address only 4 GB of memory (3 GB available to all apps, 2 GB available to each process),
while a 64 bit OS can address 16EB (exabytes) of memory.

2^64 = 18,446,744,073,709,551,616
18,446,744,073,709,551,616 / (1,024 x 1,024) = 16EB (exabytes)
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library ... s.85).aspx

ps. your procedure is useful though... to add one chart at a time and to add one indicator at a time to monitor the memory usage.

WarEagle

Postby WarEagle » 02 Apr 2013

Maybe you guys could help me out. I have a similar setup to sptrader: Win7, two xeon 2.66ghz quad cores, 8gb ram. I am running MC64 and have 4 workspaces with 2-3 charts per workspace. I have a couple of 1 second charts running, the rest are range charts so its all tick based.

I started out with 4gb of ram and was getting into trouble when MC was running. I would stay pegged in the 3.5gb usage area so I thought my solution would be to add ram. This past weekend I added 4gb to make a total of 8gb. Now MC is using even more ram and I am seeing 5gb+ being used routinely. Several of the MC processes are real hogs. I took a screenshot of my processes and ram usage. Performance hasn't gotten any better with the new ram. The only difference seems to be that MC is using more of it.

All of the big ram users are MC processes. Am I doing something wrong? Are these the same kinds of numbers you guys are seeing?

Thanks
Attachments
MC_hog.png
(17.14 KiB) Downloaded 4086 times
MC_RAMusage.png
(8.99 KiB) Downloaded 4200 times
Last edited by WarEagle on 02 Apr 2013, edited 1 time in total.

TJ

Postby TJ » 02 Apr 2013

Maybe you guys could help me out. I have a similar setup to sptrader: Win7, two xeon 2.66ghz quad cores, 8gb ram. I am running MC64 and have 4 workspaces with 2-3 charts per workspace. I have a couple of 1 second charts running, the rest are range charts so its all tick based.

I started out with 4gb of ram and was getting into trouble when MC was running. I would stay pegged in the 3.5gb usage area so I thought my solution would be to add ram. This past weekend I added 4gb to make a total of 8gb. Now MC is using even more ram and I am seeing 5gb+ being used routinely. Several of the MC processes are real hogs. I took a screenshot of my processes and ram usage. Performance hasn't gotten any better with the new ram. The only difference seems to be that MC is using more of it.
All of the big ram users are MC processes. Am I doing something wrong? Are these the same kinds of numbers you guys are seeing?
Thanks
Can't see your picture attachments.

What indicators are you running?
Are there lots of drawing objects? Arrays?
How much back history are loaded on the charts?
Which version of Multicharts64?

sptrader

Postby sptrader » 02 Apr 2013

My current version of MC64 uses a constant 4.51gb to run 10 workspaces..
With the previous "Buggy" version of MC, "TSserver.exe" would occasionally use all 16gb and lock up my pc.
Luckily, with the current 64bit version, I haven't had that problem...
Make sure that you're using the very latest version of MC64..

WarEagle

Oops, sorry, I accidentally removed the attachments before posting and they were deleted from the forum server. I edited the post to put them back in.

I do use a lot of drawing objects. I go back over my charts each day and mark up trades I missed (or wish I had missed) and then put a screenshot in my journal. I didn't realize it would require that much memory though.

I usually have 3 days of data on my charts. I will use 30 days of history on my longer time frame charts to view S/R levels. Sometimes I will forget to change the settings back after looking over some smaller time frame charts when analyzing a new idea and will have 30 days of a 2 range chart or something like that. I know that is a lot of data.

I have several custom indicators like paintbars and then some standard stuff like moving averages or trendlines but most of my charts are naked except for the drawing objects.

I just checked and found that I am still on the previous build so I am currently updating to build 6851. Maybe that will make a difference.

sptrader, that helps...at least I know that 4.5gb is "normal".

Thanks guys, I appreciate the help!

Henry MultiСharts

Postby Henry MultiСharts » 02 Apr 2013

WarEagle, couple of questions:
1) which data provider and broker do you use ?
2) how many charts with Auto trading=On do you have?
3) are the signals running in IOG mode?
4) what is the RAM usage if you have no auto trading enabled?
5) how long does it take for MC to start using 4.5gig of RAM ?

WarEagle

WarEagle, couple of questions:
1) which data provider and broker do you use ?
2) how many charts with Auto trading=On do you have?
3) are the signals running in IOG mode?
4) what is the RAM usage if you have no auto trading enabled?
5) how long does it take for MC to start using 4.5gig of RAM ?

Hi Henry,

1) I use Rithmic for data and trading.
2) I do not have any auto trading running but I am running two strategies, each on a 1 second chart. They are not running auto in an account, just applied to the chart like a normal backtest would be. I just check the strategy performance report each day to see how things went.
3) IOG is not enabled on either strategy.
4) I'm not sure if this has the same affect as turning off auto trading but I turned my two strategies off and checked the RAM after about 10 minutes and its still the same.
5) I'm not sure exactly how long it took since I wasn't monitoring it actively. I added the new RAM this weekend. I had to do a restart of MC on Sunday morning because I had about a dozen "application error" windows so I shut everything down. It has been running since then and I noticed the high usage this morning, so a little less than 2 days. I updated to the new build after my first post and restarted MC. With only skype and a chrome window everything was running at 3.6gb within an hour and that is where it is right now.

The most noticeable difference is that the TradingServer.exe process is only 35mb versus the 1.2gb it was at before. I'll watch it going forward and see if it grows again.

Henry MultiСharts

Postby Henry MultiСharts » 04 Apr 2013

WarEagle, do you place any trades manually? If yes-how many?
Which exact broker profiles do you usually have connected?

Please let me know if you notice TradingServer.exe process using a lot of RAM again.

WarEagle

Postby WarEagle » 04 Apr 2013

WarEagle, do you place any trades manually? If yes-how many?
Which exact broker profiles do you usually have connected?

Please let me know if you notice TradingServer.exe process using a lot of RAM again.
I do most of my trading manually...usually 10-20 trades per day. I always have Rithmic Live and Rithmic Local Sim broker profiles running. I also have an MB Trading profile that I connect occasionally for spot FX. Today I was testing an automated system in sim so I only had the Rithmic Local Sim connected. The system ran for 4 hours and placed 45 trades. During this time I checked my resources and the TradingServer.exe was running high again. After the system was done I disabled the strategy on the chart so that no strategies were running. This is the processes tab after 2 hours of having the strategies turned off.

It has steadily grown throughout the day even with no strategies or manual trading.
Attachments
MC_processes2.png
(19.59 KiB) Downloaded 4347 times

TJ

Postby TJ » 04 Apr 2013

Can you get a screen shot of the "Performance" tab. (the whole window, not just the upper graph)

From my read, your computer appears running normal.
You will definitely need more than 4 GB to run today's computers. (newer Windows put the disk index on RAM, which takes up a lot of memory.)

The memory usage of ~5GB is normal.
Previous to adding more memory, your computer was probably paging a lot of the memory to disk, that's why you see less physical memory being used. Now that you have 8 GB of RAM, the operating system can leave the programs on RAM instead of paging. You should noticed faster response time and less disk access noise.

What is the reason of your original post? Are you getting error messages? If so, please get a screenshot or take a picture of the message.

WarEagle

Postby WarEagle » 04 Apr 2013

Can you get a screen shot of the "Performance" tab. (the whole window, not just the upper graph)

What is the reason of your original post? Are you getting error messages? If so, please get a screenshot or take a picture of the message.

Thanks for your input TJ, it makes sense that the memory usage would go up once more RAM was available. The reason for my post was that it seemed like the TradingServer.exe was using significantly more memory than anything else on my pc and there are already 6 or so other MC processes running that take up large chunks as well. I searched the forum for memory issues and found this thread and saw you mention that MC64 should never have memory problems so I wanted to see if my experience was normal. I didn't have anything to compare it to other than my other trading programs. For example, SC has one process that uses about 25mb on average. That is quite a difference.

As I write this, the TradingServer.exe process has grown to 2.2gb. I have had a few overnight crashes of MC where I will have a dozen application error boxes waiting for me in the morning. I have submitted a few of those crash reports when it asks but I don't really know if that is related to the memory usage or not.
Attachments
MC_performance_full.png
(47.67 KiB) Downloaded 4532 times

TJ

Postby TJ » 04 Apr 2013

this is mine...
Windows vista 64 home premium
Intel Q6600 8GB
Multicharts64
2 instances, 7 wsp, 14 charts, lots of indicators and drawing objects

You can see the usage is about the same

Attachments
2013-04-04 20.0806.jpg
(63.38 KiB) Downloaded 4620 times

Henry MultiСharts

Postby Henry MultiСharts » 05 Apr 2013

As I write this, the TradingServer.exe process has grown to 2.2gb.
WarEagle, TradingServer.exe resource usage will be improved in the next build of MultiCharts.
I have had a few overnight crashes of MC where I will have a dozen application error boxes waiting for me in the morning. I have submitted a few of those crash reports when it asks but I don't really know if that is related to the memory usage or not.
Please PM or email me your PC name (right click on My Computer icon->Properties->Computer name) so that I can check the logs from our FTP server.

WarEagle

Postby WarEagle » 05 Apr 2013

Not to beat a dead horse since Henry said the TradingServer.exe RAM usage should be fixed in the next update, but just to update, this is its RAM usage today:

My total usage is over 7gb right now. Its like the process just grows until it fills up the available RAM.
Attachments
MC_5gb.png
(19.78 KiB) Downloaded 4399 times

JoshM

Postby JoshM » 26 Apr 2013

(...)

You will definitely need more than 4 GB to run today's computers. (newer Windows put the disk index on RAM, which takes up a lot of memory.)

(...)
I don't think a memory usage of ~5GB is normal. I'm using 2,35GB total on Windows 7 SP1 64bit and my MultiCharts 64-bit only consumes around 500mb with 16 symbols (indices, futures, spot fx). Ironically, MC consumes practically as much memory as IB's TWS. :) Just saying that MC is already quite lean, and if my memory usage would jump to ~3GB something would be very wrong.

TJ

Postby TJ » 26 Apr 2013

(...)

(...)
I don't think a memory usage of ~5GB is normal. I'm using 2,35GB total on Windows 7 SP1 64bit and my MultiCharts 64-bit only consumes around 500mb with 16 symbols (indices, futures, spot fx). Ironically, MC consumes practically as much memory as IB's TWS. :) Just saying that MC is already quite lean, and if my memory usage would jump to ~3GB something would be very wrong.
Please post your TaskManager screenshots.

sptrader

Postby sptrader » 26 Apr 2013

My task manager shows 4+ GB of ram being used...(16gb total)
MC and TWS ONLY apps open..
Attachments
Task manager.png
(25.14 KiB) Downloaded 3909 times

JoshM

Postby JoshM » 13 May 2013

Please post your TaskManager screenshots.
I don't see how I can reach a memory usage of ~5Gb when with 16 symbols and two charts I'm using just over half of one Gb. My memory usage for the whole pc (incl. TWS) is 47% of the available 4Gb:
scr.13-05-2013 18.20.23.png
(65.19 KiB) Downloaded 3749 times

Henry MultiСharts

Postby Henry MultiСharts » 13 May 2013

WarEagle, have you updated to MultiCharts 8.7 beta 1? Is the resource usage better now?

PatrickSocal

Postby PatrickSocal » 06 Feb 2014

Hi everyone,

We too are having memory problems with TradingServer.exe:

The above screenshot was taken immediately before MultiCharts stopped responding, and we had to force-close it. It consumed all the physical memory on our server, plus a great deal of virtual memory, after running for a few days in live trading. Fortunately we were not in a position when it crashed, but it took some time to restore our settings and we lost some tick data.

And here is a screenshot from today, after about 24 hours of live trading:

We are running MC version 8.8 Release (Build 8593), and we are using a Rithmic broker feed for data/orders, plus a barchart feed for additional data. We have found a need to close and restart MultiCharts to avoid it crashing, due to this memory problem.

Are others having similar issues during live trading?
Attachments
TradingServerMemoryIssue.png
(26.17 KiB) Downloaded 4682 times
TradingServerMemoryIssueCrash0.png
(10.77 KiB) Downloaded 4685 times

arjfca

Postby arjfca » 06 Feb 2014

Hi everyone,

We too are having memory problems with TradingServer.exe:

The above screenshot was taken immediately before MultiCharts stopped responding, and we had to force-close it. It consumed all the physical memory on our server, plus a great deal of virtual memory, after running for a few days in live trading. Fortunately we were not in a position when it crashed, but it took some time to restore our settings and we lost some tick data.

And here is a screenshot from today, after about 24 hours of live trading:

We are running MC version 8.8 Release (Build 8593), and we are using a Rithmic broker feed for data/orders, plus a barchart feed for additional data. We have found a need to close and restart MultiCharts to avoid it crashing, due to this memory problem.

Are others having similar issues during live trading?
Patrick
What scale are you using?
MC 32 has some limitation on the amount of memory usage.

Memory usage is create by: # of bars in use and the # indicator applied to the chart

A 250 tick charts of EUR.USD for 7 days will probably bust the memory usage
A 1H charts for i year will probably be ok

Try to reduce your history
Try to separate your chart in more than one MC session. Each session will have has full memory usage

Good luck
Martin

PatrickSocal

Postby PatrickSocal » 06 Feb 2014

Hi Martin,

Thanks for the reply... We will try the suggestions, but the problem is with the TradingServer.exe process, not the charting process (MultiChartsXX.exe) so I'm not sure if it will help. We are not using the 32 bit version, we are using MultiCharts64.exe, so the problem isn't with the old 2GB limit... the problem is that the TradingServer.exe process consumed all the memory on the machine.

To answer your question about "what scale" we are using, I think you mean what is the unit for interpreting the memory usage numbers? If so, it's all in KByte. So TradingServer.exe consumed about 7.5 GByte of physical memory (on an 8 GB server) and an amazing 30 GB of virtual memory.

If you meant what time scale do we use to build our bars... Our strategies are based on various bar intervals and multiple symbols. Some are intraday strategies, some are strategies based on bars formed from ticks. Changing our bar intervals would change the profitability of our strategies, so for obvious reasons we don't want to do this.

Has anyone else seen the TradingServer.exe process consume large amounts of memory, using a recent version of MultiCharts64?

arjfca

Postby arjfca » 06 Feb 2014

OK Patrick

The comment on the scale was just to illustrate the quantity of bars available for a given time periods. Lower the scale, higher the bars count.

Your wright, MC64 should not have the same limitation as MC 32

Never has problem with the tradingserver

Idea:
TRy to reduce your # of charts to see if it help
Open different MC session for each chart
Close all files and PC and restart.... An old Windows and PC trick, sometime it work...

You may have a live chat with the technical service. They open around 6 am New-York time if I recall

Martin

Henry MultiСharts

Postby Henry MultiСharts » 10 Feb 2014

Hello Patrick,

At the moment there are no outstanding issues with the memory usage of TradingServer.exe in MultiCharts 8.8 8593.
Please provide additional information so that we can study your case:
1) Download and unzip MC dumper to your PC:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/279 ... Dumper.zip
2) Please start MultiCharts and turn on the auto trading.
Create a screenshot of task manager so that we can see the initial memory usage.
3) Run MultiCharts with auto trading turned on for 1 hour.
Create a screenshot of task manager so that we can see the memory usage after one hour.
4) Start the MC_Dumper gui.exe
In MC Dumper window please select the version of MultiCharts you are having problem with in “Product for Dumps selector”.
Please keep in mind that MultiCharts, MultiCharts64, MultiCharts .Net, MultiCharts .Net 64, MultiCharts .Net SE, MultiCharts .Net SE 64 are all different products and the one you are having problem with right now must be selected to collect the required information.
5) Enable the options "Full dumps" and "Packing data".
6) Press “Make Dumps” button. This utility will create dumps and logs, pack them into a zip file and open the folder containing the file once the procedure is done.
7) Please upload the zip file to any file sharing hosting and send me (support@multicharts.com) the download link alongside with the task manager screenshots.

Return to “MultiCharts”