Alt+Right/Left arrow and Alt+Ctrl+Right/Left Arrow.

Questions about MultiCharts and user contributed studies.
bowlesj3

Alt+Right/Left arrow and Alt+Ctrl+Right/Left Arrow.

Postby bowlesj3 » 20 Jul 2009

Everyone knows that right arrow and left arrow are used to move the chart bar by bar right and left respectively and when these keys are held down this movement progresses at a certain speed.

I often wish I could speed this up some how for about 50% of the times I hold down the right and left arrow to move the chart. So maybe TSS could consider "Ctrl+Right/Left arrow" to double the speed and "Ctrl+Alt+Right/Left Arrow" to tripple the speed.

Actually it is not that hard to quickly place the fingers 1, 2 and 3 (thumb being finger zero and the baby finger being finger four) on Ctrl+Shift+Alt so maybe this could be used with these keys to speed it up to 4 times.

It occured to me farther down in this thread that the better order is Alt then ctrl then shift and the order of fingers for executing this is actually 1 then 3 then 2.

Thanks,
John
Last edited by bowlesj3 on 21 Jul 2009, edited 3 times in total.

TJ

Postby TJ » 20 Jul 2009

+ 1 vote

bowlesj3

Postby bowlesj3 » 21 Jul 2009

This is a better explaination of what I had in mind using an example to make it clear. This would be ideal.

The trader has a fair ways to move a 10 second bar chart. They press left arrow and hold it down to go back but realize it is too slow. Without lifting the left arrow they press both ctrl and Alt which tripples the speed immediately (in other words there is no need to lift the left arrow to get the speed increase to kick in). When they see the chart is close to the proper place they slow it down to double speed by lifting the alt key. When it is fairly close they lift the ctrl key for normal speed and at the very end they lift the left arrow key to stop it. Next they do single presses of the left and/or right arrow to get the exact bar they want.

In a related request I submitted, if they can see the specific bar they want to be the bar which is the last bar to be seen on the chart (on the far right hand side) they put the cursor at that bar and press the back quote key. If they press Shift+Backquote it puts that bar as the first bar on that chart rather than the last bar on the chart. Maybe Ctrl+backquote could center a bar on the chart. To help the trader remember they could use this (C=ctrl=center). (S=Shift=Start).
Last edited by bowlesj3 on 21 Jul 2009, edited 1 time in total.

Andrew Kirillov

Postby Andrew Kirillov » 21 Jul 2009

What if we change speed according to time you are holding move left/right buttons? The longer you hold- the higher speed.
I noticed such behavior on my blu-ray player yesterday.

bowlesj3

Hi Andrew, you were so fast. You beat me on my little extra idea on the post I just did.

Yes I have noticed what you describe on certain programs in the past. The only problem is the trader can not slow it down as I described when they see the chart starting to position exactly as they want.

The trader may want the bar on the right side for doing mock replays as I do. They may want that bar on the left side for doing bmp picture saves for teaching or for their own reference. The cursor backquote instant jump idea would be even better when the bar is visible and the right/left arrow ctrl Alt Shift speed idea is another related approach which is good for when the bar(s) they are looking for are not visible on the chart.

bowlesj3

Before I forget, here is an improvement to the speedup idea to consider if you decide to put it in. The order of ctrl and alt for the first two levels of speed up might be useful to be interchangeable. Here is why. The trader may want to use the ctrl and alt on the right side of the space bar rather than the left side of the space bar (for who knows what reason). By allowing them to be interchangeable they can do this and the 3 levels of speed up create exactly the same finger pattern on both sides.

Again assuming the thumb is finger zero and the baby finger is four;

the normal left side order would be
add finger 1 (alt) for the first level of speed up.
add finger 3 (ctrl) for the second level of speed up.
add finger 2 (shift) for the 3rd level of speed up.

the less frequently used right side order would be
add finger 1 (ctrl) for the first level of speed up.
add finger 3 (alt) for the second level of speed up.
add finger 2 (shift) for the 3rd level of speed up.

Even if you decide to use this method but not make them interchangeable then the first order is the best I think (alt then ctrl then shift).

Of course I am assuming most are using a standard full sized keyboard since these typically support the double/triple screens traders want.

bowlesj3

I originally had the finger order wrong. It should have been 1 then 3 then 2.

bowlesj3

What if we change speed according to time you are holding move left/right buttons? The longer you hold- the higher speed.
I noticed such behavior on my blu-ray player yesterday.
Hi again Andrew,

The other thing about the fact that a lot of programs do what you mention above (maybe it is a standard of some sort) is it is a bit annoying having to wait when you already know you want it to move faster.

Anyway, as long as it does not interfer with something else it would be a useful speedup item. I think the order of extra placement of fingers that I am suggesting (1,3, 2) is about the way it should be. I was trying it and it is quite natural and the keys are right there under your fingers (both left of the space bar and right of the space bar too). Maybe 2X, 3X and 4X would be too fast, I don't know.

Thanks for considering it,
John.

bowlesj3

Re: Alt+Right/Left arrow and Alt+Ctrl+Right/Left Arrow.

Postby bowlesj3 » 18 Jun 2011

No entered in Project Management for anyone wishing to vote on this.

https://www.multicharts.com/pm/viewissu ... _no=MC-444

Stan Bokov

Postby Stan Bokov » 20 Jun 2011

Thanks for your sugegstions, John.

bowlesj3

Postby bowlesj3 » 20 Jun 2011

No Problem.

Andrew MultiCharts

Postby Andrew MultiCharts » 23 May 2013

This feature ill be implemented in coming MC 8.7 beta 2. The speed of scrolling by your mouse wheel will be dynamic.

signalworks

Postby signalworks » 02 Mar 2017

Hi,
is it possible to adjust the speed of the scrollbar? Its too fast in my opinion.

Thanks.

Regards.

Return to “MultiCharts”