Reformat hard disk and Custom indicators

Questions about MultiCharts and user contributed studies.

Reformat hard disk and Custom indicators

Postby Guest » 23 Oct 2006

For those that have reformatted their hard disk and re-installed their OS, did it affect your access to custom indicators once you installed MC again?

I reformatted and re-installed recently and now I can't access the custom indicators. It just keeps asking me for the username/password repeatedly but does not accept it.

Is the username/password tied to the a unique PC identifier? If so, why does a reformat erase it?

Thanks

Chris

Re: Reformat hard disk and Custom indicators

Postby Chris » 24 Oct 2006

For those that have reformatted their hard disk and re-installed their OS, did it affect your access to custom indicators once you installed MC again?

I reformatted and re-installed recently and now I can't access the custom indicators. It just keeps asking me for the username/password repeatedly but does not accept it.

Is the username/password tied to the a unique PC identifier? If so, why does a reformat erase it?

Thanks
I guess you mean the build in add-ons and I have noticed something similar that after a harddisk format the access is terminated and you'll have to ask the study developer to reset your username and password.

In my opinion this procedure should be changed if possible, so that a reformat doesn't affect your ability to use the studies you paid for.

Chris

Alex Kramer

Postby Alex Kramer » 24 Oct 2006

Dear Guest, Chris - we understand your concern of losing access to purchased studies after a disk format/reinstall. Unluckily, this is the mechanism used by the protection scheme, and same thing would happen to many other software products, not just the add-ons.

The developers of add-ons are guarding their product from unauthorized use and just would not offer them if there wasn't a method of protecting it.

Postby Guest » 24 Oct 2006

Alex, I believe most people agree that developers of software need protection for their intellectual property.

The real issue is that whilst all other software companies seem able to handle this most basic form of PC maintenance (reformat) without any problems, Multicharts can't seem to find a way to protect a developers' software without inconveniencing paying customers.

Ask yourself this question: As a paying customer, would you be happy if everytime you had to reformat your hard disk you had to go and ask Microsoft for a new username/password before you could run Windows - just so Microsoft could protect their software?

In the real world it wouldn't happen.

Why should Multichart customers accept anything less?

concerned

Postby concerned » 24 Oct 2006

Hi

For customers, this arrangement between Multicharts and their add-on developers appears to be one of all care and no responsibility. Just who is responsible in the event of a problem with add-ons remains a big grey area.

It's really not too difficult to imagine a situation when something goes wrong with add-ons that Multicharts and the developer point fingers at each other and the customer is left holding the baby.

Is there a service level agreement between Multicharts and these add-on developers?

What is the agreed response time from the developer to customer when a issue arises?

How does a customer seek a satisfactory resolution when no one accepts responsibility?

Best regards

momentum

Postby momentum » 25 Oct 2006

There's also the bigger issue that if an add-on developer goes out of business then a potentially valuable and paid for piece of software becomes unuseable.

Chris

Postby Chris » 25 Oct 2006

There's also the bigger issue that if an add-on developer goes out of business then a potentially valuable and paid for piece of software becomes unuseable.
Or if the server of the add-on developer is unavailable for some time, than MC is not able to check for a valid licence and the studies shouldn't work. Is there some routine in MC that gurantees the access to the studies or are the customers not able to work with their paid products then?

Chris

Postby Guest » 25 Oct 2006

My access has now been reset. Charts and add-ons are working again.

For those interested the turnaround was nearly 2 working days from notifying the developer by email to receiving confirmation that the problem was solved.

Return to “MultiCharts”