Charting of different custom sessions with MC  [SOLVED]

Questions about MultiCharts and user contributed studies.
Leggo

Charting of different custom sessions with MC

Postby Leggo » 01 Nov 2006

Hello,

I would like to ask if it is possible to display charts of different sessions of the same symbol in the same workspace. I have setup the different custom sessions in Quotemanager (I am using IB TWS) but when I click the 'format symbol' option and get to the 'settings' tab there are only two session in the drop down menu 'Regular' and '24 Hour'.

So for example how can I get 2 charts of mini-SP contract (ESZ5) side-by-side where one chart plots the 24-hour data and the other just the regular trading hours (RTH) data?

Thanks a lot
Leggo

Alex Kramer

Postby Alex Kramer » 02 Nov 2006

The "Regular" means that the session settings made in QuoteManager (selected from a template or custom) will be applied for the current symbol.

If your symbol's settings in QuoteManager duplicate the RTH, it will be displayed for the regular trading hours only with the "Regular" option.

Leggo

Postby Leggo » 02 Nov 2006

Thanks Alex,

So this means that in order to have the same symbol charted with two different sessions side by side, I have to select the session in Quotemanager, open the 1st chart, then go back to quotemanager and select the other custom session and then open the 2nd chart for the same symbol. This is a bit cumbersome but doable.

The disadvantage of this method comes when I will open my charts the next day. Now both charts will initially open with exactly the same session since they both pick the regular session from quotemanager and I have to repeat the process for the 2nd chart. And if the workspace contains more than 2 charts (of the same symbol) which is not uncommon at all, or have different workspaces with groups of same symbol charts then it becomes a great hassle to set up sessions for all charts, and is something that must be done on a daily basis.

Using TS is much simpler in this respect where the session can be very easily changed for each chart using a drop down menu with all sessions (built-in and custom), with the setting remembered each time the chart is opened. Maybe this could be something to consider and implement for your product as well as it will greatly improve functionality in this respect.

Leggo

Alex Kramer

Postby Alex Kramer » 02 Nov 2006

The disadvantage of this method comes when I will open my charts the next day. Now both charts will initially open with exactly the same session since they both pick the regular session from quotemanager and I have to repeat the process for the 2nd chart.
I have to disagree, the settings of the sessions should persist when you reopen the workspace. If they didn't, yes, this would lead to the problem you described, but session settings for each symbol are saved in the workspace file.

Leggo

Postby Leggo » 02 Nov 2006

I may be missing your point here so please bear with me because I may be wrong.

I want to achieve two different custom sessions for the same symbol - say ER2Z6 - in two different charts that reside in the same workspace. However, the only session setting available in the 'settings' tab is the 'regular' one (the 24 Hour one is clearly not relevant since it cannot be customised). So the 'regular' setting points to the session selection for ER2Z6 in quotemanager and this is already determined. So when I restart MC the 'regular' session setting is remembered for both charts of ER2Z6 and since there is only one definition of ER2Z6 in quotemanager, I end up getting 2 copies of the same chart, instead of 2 different ones with different custom sessions.

I would much appreciate if you could tell me where I am doing something wrong and if so how to get the desirable result, since it is clear that MC should be flexible with different sessions. Thanks a lot.

Leggo

fs

Postby fs » 02 Nov 2006

The sessions in MC is confusing and limiting indeed, but it is easily possible to do what you want to do.

Regular Session mean that the session you have assigned to the symbol in Quote Manager will plot.
24 Hour, mean all data for the symbol will be plotted, regardless of the session applied to it in QM.

So, if you want to plot 24 hour data for SP in one chart and RTH for the same symbol in another chart in the workspace, do the following:

- Assign an RTH session template to the symbol in QM.
- To plot the RTH in the chart, just select Regular Session in the symbol settings and this will plot according to your settings in QM.
- To plot 24 hour session, select 24 hour in the settings of symbol and this will plot all data and ignore your session in QM, meaning this will plot the 24 hour session as well.

- Fanus

Leggo

Postby Leggo » 03 Nov 2006

Thanks a lot for the reply Fanus, it is very much appreciated.

That's exactly what I am trying to communicate to Alex, that there is very limited choice (practically none) in dispalying charts of the same symbol with different sessions settings. I ended up doing exactly as you suggested, which in effect means that MC is limited to the 24 Hour session and only one extra custom session (be it RTH or something else) per symbol.

But say I want to have the ER2Z6 regular trading hour session (8:30-16:15 EST) and the ER2Z6 european morning trading session (2:00 - 7:00 EST for example), or whatever other custom sessions I may want to be looking (i.e 2 or more for the same symbol). As I understand, this is clearly not possible with MC. On the other hand TS is very flexible and allows multiple different custom session charts for the same symbol in the same workspace. I hope that Alex agrees to that :)

Leggo

Leggo

[SOLVED]

Postby Leggo » 03 Nov 2006

Thanks a lot for the reply Fanus, it is very much appreciated.

That's exactly what I am trying to communicate to Alex, that there is very limited choice (practically none) in dispalying charts of the same symbol with different sessions settings. I ended up doing exactly as you suggested, which in effect means that MC is limited to the 24 Hour session and only one extra custom session (be it RTH or something else) per symbol.

But say I want to have the ER2Z6 regular trading hour session (8:30-16:15 EST) and the ER2Z6 european morning trading session (2:00 - 7:00 EST for example), or whatever other custom sessions I may want to be looking (i.e 2 or more for the same symbol). As I understand, this is clearly not possible with MC. On the other hand TS is very flexible and allows multiple different custom session charts for the same symbol in the same workspace. I hope that Alex agrees to that :)

Leggo

Return to “MultiCharts”