tsServer.exe produce "memory leak"?

Questions about MultiCharts and user contributed studies.
templ

tsServer.exe produce "memory leak"?

Postby templ » 09 Dec 2006

Hello,
if I download data from IB with seconds resolution for a period of one or two month, I get with tsServer.exe 1.7 -2.5 GB (swap file) virtual Size.
if I told a friend that , he sad that is a "memory leak".

I wrote also to this threads:
What happens, if exit MultiCharts?
Erratic Memory Consumption

Kate

Postby Kate » 11 Dec 2006

Templ,
Please contact us via our live support as we really need to connect to your desktop via Helpdesk to answer your question. It may happen so that there are no memory leaks at all but you are using a considerable number of charts that causes such memory consumption.

templ

Postby templ » 11 Dec 2006

It may happen so that there are no memory leaks at all but you are using a considerable number of charts that causes such memory consumption.
Hello,
it happens by downloading data from IB, please look at my screenshot (taskmanager2.JPG), there is an example of three workspaces with always three charts. If I download one after another my (Auslagerungsdatei)
(swap file/virtual Size) is growing to 1.7 -2.5 GB and the tsServer.exe sometimes up to 300-450MB.
Especially by seconds resolution.

Now I played a little (mostly of the data have in the database, only a few days were to download) with the three workspaces.
In the screenshot taskmager_process+.JPG virtual Size is grown a little, you can see that the javaw.exe used by IB's TWS is also involved.

Than imagine what happens, if I download a few hours... that kills virtual Size. On friday night MC was killed because I had not more enough diskspace (my diskspace was 2.2GB).
Attachments
taskmager_process+.JPG
taskmager_process.JPG
(160.29 KiB) Downloaded 844 times
taskmanager2.JPG
(243.59 KiB) Downloaded 840 times
Last edited by templ on 11 Dec 2006, edited 4 times in total.

Kate

Postby Kate » 11 Dec 2006

We analyzed your screenshot: in fact, you have 12 charts and up to 800 000 quotes. Moreover, we cannot see the other workspaces. In this case, 300-450 MB is normal for such amount of data.

templ

Postby templ » 11 Dec 2006

We analyzed your screenshot: in fact, you have 12 charts and up to 800 000 quotes. Moreover, we cannot see the other workspaces. In this case, 300-450 MB is normal for such amount of data.
Right, 12 charts and all with bid ask trades data.

And you find it also normal that (swap file/virtual Size) is growing up to 1 GB for this? It makes me thoughtfully.

But if I would download this data on one day the (swap file/virtual Size) would likely grow up to 3 GB. Is this ok?

Kate

Postby Kate » 12 Dec 2006

Templ,
Could you please send us a screenshot of Task Manager? We need to see Mem Usage and VM Size columns of MCActiveX.exe and tsServer.exe processes.

Normally, 100 000 quotes takes about 40 MB of virtual memory. If you apply some studies the memory consumption will increase.

templ

Postby templ » 12 Dec 2006

Templ,
Could you please send us a screenshot of Task Manager? We need to see Mem Usage and VM Size columns of MCActiveX.exe and tsServer.exe processes.

Normally, 100 000 quotes takes about 40 MB of virtual memory. If you apply some studies the memory consumption will increase.
In my second last post is a screenshot taskmager_process+.JPG, did you see it?
If i have a larger on next time I can post it too. But I am also in contact with TS Support per email...

Maybe a MC feature, what do you think of a display for quotes in the MC statusbar, so the customer can see how many quotes are in the charts and can get a feeling of the interaction with the system requirements?

Kate

Postby Kate » 12 Dec 2006

Templ,
Could you send me your workspaces to support@tssupport.com so that I will be able to reproduce the situation?

As concerns a feature that will display in the status bar the number of quotes and available system resources, thank you for your feedback, we'll think about implementing such a feature.

Kate

Postby Kate » 13 Dec 2006

Templ,
We analyzed the workspace you sent us. Let me calculate: you use 7 windows with 3 charts in each, 80 trading days, 8 hours trading sessions, 3600 second bars, so you request 48 million ticks. It is a really tremendous amount of data and hence this can explain such enormous memory consumption.

templ

Postby templ » 15 Dec 2006

It is a really tremendous amount of data and hence this can explain such enormous memory consumption.
But to chart it is not the problem. But to download the data. What makes it different to download than to chart?

Return to “MultiCharts”