Problems with Volume Charts

Questions about MultiCharts and user contributed studies.
mojotrader

Problems with Volume Charts

Postby mojotrader » 11 Dec 2006

Please see the attached pic for problems with volume charts on MC Beta. It appears too many bars are printed when compard to other charting software such as Ensign.

Both charts are 450 volume using the same IB datafeed. Note pic has been mislabeled. It should be ER2H7.

~mojo
Attachments
MCVolumeChart.jpg
(65.33 KiB) Downloaded 613 times

Kate

Postby Kate » 11 Dec 2006

Mojotrader,

We have analyzed raw data for the period you are showing on your screenshots. There appears to be a spike in the volume that occurred at 08:46:40. Please review the attached screenshot. The lower tick chart proves there was a spike in the volume equal to 3601 contracts. That's why there appeared 8 bars for 450 volume.
Please plot the same tick chart in Ensign and check the volume amount of the spike. If it is equal to 3601, most likely Ensign discarded some of this data.
Attachments
mojotrader_forum-volume.PNG
(55.9 KiB) Downloaded 585 times

mojotrader

Thanks for the quick response Kate. I can't access that timeframe on my ensign charts since I wasn't keeping more than 5K bars, and I inadvertently refreshed my ensign charts using DTN, which wiped out my IB data.

The anomaly has appeared several times today and occurred last week as well. I’ll use the same method (1 tick chart w/volume) you did to isolate the discrepancy to either ensign or MC. I suspect it’s an ensign problem but I’ll let you know what I find.

Thanks,
mojo

Postby Guest » 11 Dec 2006

ensign has 2 different ways to calculate volume bars and the ability to disregard block trades which couse problems on volume bars chart.
take a look at that option in set up-charts dialog in the program..
i hope MC could do that also some day....very convinient.

mojotrader

ensign has 2 different ways to calculate volume bars and the ability to disregard block trades which couse problems on volume bars chart.
take a look at that option in set up-charts dialog in the program..
i hope MC could do that also some day....very convinient.
Thanks for the heads up on the option. My ensign is currently checked to "Cap Constant Volume bars", which should have rolled excess volume to the next bar as MC did, but it didn't. I'll have to investigate further to see how it works unchecked. Maybe ensign's option is reversed. Technically it should roll to the next bar like MC but it skews my indicators when it does, which I don't like.

Regardless, I'm still seriously considering MC for charting. Not only do the charts look much better than ensign, MC supports range charts, and they also support EL code which I have left over from my TS days. I'll see how this next beta goes before making a move decision.

Thanks
mojo

Return to “MultiCharts”