Design of Contract Bars

Questions about MultiCharts and user contributed studies.
Chris

Design of Contract Bars

Postby Chris » 17 Mar 2006

TSSupport,

first I have to say that I like the way MC creates the Contract Bars very much.
My only concern is that MC seems to reset the Contract Bar at the end of the session(or start of the next session). In my opinion that should be changed, because it's just not correct to cut the Bar before it is filled completely wether you need some contracts from the next session or not.

That would be the last step to perfect Contract Bars.

Thank you,

Chris

trader

Postby trader » 18 Mar 2006

Chris,
If you are aware of "lost packets" and the need to reload intraday charts it may be beneficial to construct the Contract bars based on session breaks as is currently the case. A request for a one day(etc) reload would be more seamless when reconstructing the database based on a defined starting point. However, I may be incorrect.

Tssupport,
I would like to have the ability to define the days back prior to requesting a chart 'reload' from the drop down menu. i.e. 1day,2days......8days.

Currently it is very cumbersome to format symbol/change the start calendar date to 1 day back ,,,reload,,,format starting date back to its original start day.

Trader

Postby Guest » 18 Mar 2006

trader,

from my understanding of MC the Contract Bars are build from the tick database - where the actual trades are stored as they come in. A reload of one day might then affect the other day, that is true. But I don't see a problem here, because the whole chart is build new when you reload.

Where the current design of the Contract Bars will lead to confusion is when the Volume is low (or the increment of the Contract Bars is high respectively). Imagine a market with a Volume of 500-800 Contracts a day and you are charting a 1000 Contract Bar Chart. So you will have a bar for every day - that doesn't make much sense.

Chris

Postby Guest » 18 Mar 2006

When you are dealing with Volume Bars you should keep one thing in mind - they are not dealing with time, only with Volume. Regardless of a session brake or whatever. It's only Volume that is of concern.

Chris

Chris

Postby Chris » 18 Mar 2006

By the way the design of Tick charts should be the same.

Chris

Chris

Postby Chris » 21 Mar 2006

Any feedback would be appreciated.

Thank you,

Chris

Alex Kramer

Postby Alex Kramer » 21 Mar 2006

There are 2 issues here:

1. Ideological - with your proposed approach it would not be possible to create two identical charts if the start date is different.

2. Technical - found out it was too complicated with our existing QuoteManager architecture; considering the underlying ideological issue we decided not to try further.
Last edited by Alex Kramer on 21 Mar 2006, edited 1 time in total.

Chris

Postby Chris » 21 Mar 2006

1. Ideological - with your proposed approach it would not be possible to create two identical charts if the start date is different.

Alex,

I have totally overlooked this.

Thank you for the update.

Chris

Alex Kramer

Postby Alex Kramer » 21 Mar 2006

Thanks for giving us a reason to consider the theory. We need to do this every once a while :lol:

Best regards

About

Postby Best regards » 11 Jan 2007

Check this:

f

hello

Postby f » 23 Mar 2007

fff

f

hello

Postby f » 23 Mar 2007

fff