Multiple signals for synchronous auto-trading?

Questions about MultiCharts and user contributed studies.
Xyzzy

Multiple signals for synchronous auto-trading?

Postby Xyzzy » 19 Mar 2012

Hi,

I'm attempting to set up an autotrading system that uses multiple signals, with multiple entry-exit orders, on a single chart. The system will use synchronous mode. Is this possible?

To give a specific example, assume that I have two signals on a chart, "SignalA" and "SignalB." Both SignalA and SignalB are essentially independent strategies -- SignalA will make certain entry and exit orders, and SignalB will make different entry and exit orders.

These signals should function independently. E.g., I'd like for SignalA to have up to 1 position open on a chart, and for SignalB to have up to 1 position open on the same chart. However, each signal itself should be limited to a single entry order.

In other words, it should be possible for SignalA to make an entry order one minute, and then for SignalB to make a second entry order a few minutes later -- even if the SignalA position is still open. However, it shouldn't be possible for either SignalA or SignalB to have more than one open position for that particular signal at any given moment in time.

Is this possible through autotrading? I.e., will MultiChart's position manager be able to keep track of multiple entry and exit orders for different independent signals on the same chart?

I've also considered having multiple charts for the same instrument, with one signal per chart. According to the documentation, however, this isn't supported in synchronous mode:
The same symbol cannot be traded from more than one chart. Trading the same symbol from two or more charts will cause a market position conflict between the charts.
http://www.multicharts.com/trading-soft ... _Execution

Thanks in advance.

Henry MultiСharts

Re: Multiple signals for synchronous auto-trading?

Postby Henry MultiСharts » 19 Mar 2012

Hello Xyzzy,

Multiple signals applied to one chart are combined into a single strategy that holds its own market position. The signals will not function independently in this case.
As a workaround you can enable multiple entries into the same directions for your strategy and use «exit from entry» exit orders in case you want the signals to function separately, but still it is a harder way.
In MultiCharts that is possible to trade the same symbol from multiple charts. You can find more information about the peculiarities of this functionality at this page.

Xyzzy

Re: Multiple signals for synchronous auto-trading?

Postby Xyzzy » 19 Mar 2012

Henry,

Thank you very much for the information.

Return to “MultiCharts”